Kony 2012

Have any of you guys seen the video "Kony 2012 Video is misleading" by this girl slubogo on Youtube? She makes many excellent points, all of which I agree with. Take 5 minutes and watch it if you haven't already.

Like the one posted in this thread....9 posts above yours? :dopey:

I saw that yesterday on my geography class then that again , a movie called "Hotel Rowanda" on history and yuck in a bad way , my teacher told me that that 🤬 , kidnaps kids and then makes them kill their parents while sleeping :(.

Thats very bad and horrofying 👎

The problem I have with this Kony 2012 fad is this.

It's not like the issue isn't known to governments around the world. It's not like the videos and facebook statuses are going to make the world go "Wow, I never knew someone was doing bad stuff in Africa, we gotta stop this!"

It's not like nobody got involved in Africa over the course of the last, what, three decades? It's just that nothing was accomplished. And how would it? By replacing one radical group of murderers and rapists with another? And killing lots of people in the process, while risking the lives of dozens of soldiers from your own country? When did "peace through war" work? It certainly didn't work in the middle east, that's for sure, and it didn't work in Africa, so far.

This whole Kony 2012 awareness thing is somewhat like telling someone to extinquish a giant fire with their bare hands. You can tell them to do it as much as you want, it's not changing the fact thatt it's far easier said than done. Which a lot of those fauxtivists seem to ignore, entirely. The US/UN/NATO/whomever isn't just going to be able to waltz right down to Uganda, blast Kony's brains out and make everything well just like that.

And the best thing about all of this is that this whole fad also involves sending large amounts of money to a shady company. I mean, yeah, right... What a coincidence. :odd:

And while all of that is kinda cute, really, I'm getting ticked off by people who are naive enough to belive that sharing the Kony 2012 vid is somehow going to enable governments around the word to do something they haven't been able to do for decades. Makes perfect sense. And I'm being accused of being ignorant for not supporting that BS.

I agree, had to change that line a bit though, since it's not a US only thing.

By the way, I am shocked that so many people sound like they never knew about all the horrible things happening in Africa.

To all the people who never heard about child soldiers and the crimes happening down there: On which planet did you live so far?

I found the overview in the Guardian very good.

But as stated earlier in the thread, the cynics are not doing anything, with that attitude they can expect exactly the same when their rights are violated, nobody will come and help them either.

I did look at the IC rating on Charity Navigator, the note given by people that have no contact with the organisation is a lot worse information quality then what IC delivers. If you look people that claim to have worked with them (teachers) they rate them highly, helping to give a future to the children.

OK IC is not perfect, but " let the one who has never sinned throw the ..."(John 8:7)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, those who support the Kony 2012 movement need to open their eyes to this. Their movement is the stuff that only privileged first world kid's think will work in their day dreams. This bubble that many in the west live in is disturbing, that all can be fixed in such a fashion. What's more disturbing is that the there is no real evidence (at least what I could find) that Joseph Kony is still alive, so thus if he isn't where is the money really going to? I see why those of Uganda are angry, but what I'm more curious of is how exactly does the IC's methods work. I have found no evidence that shows they have had any previous achievements.

I found the overview in the Guardian very good.

But as stated earlier in the thread, the cynics are not doing anything, with that attitude they can expect exactly the same when their rights are violated, nobody will come and help them either.

I did look at the IC rating on Charity Navigator, the note given by people that have no contact with the organisation is a lot worse information quality then what IC delivers. If you look people that claim to have worked with them (teachers) they rate them highly, helping to give a future to the children.

OK IC is not perfect, but " let the one who has never sinned throw the ..."(John 8:7)

That's not the principle of the matter, those who are so called "cynics" aren't casting any stones what so ever. Rather looking at it cock-eyed and scratching their heads because it is as it sounds. A very irrational way of thought, the fact that there are those arguing this and people of Uganda are equally saying..."What do you people who just watched this truly know of our plight?" I also have the same question. If you never heard of this man before what makes you think you can step up to the plate and claim to know all after a 30 minute video? Especially one that was best summed up by those who suffered in Uganda and not the American youth. It's a lot like me giving you a quantum physics text book and you read only the first two chapters yet you think you understand the situation in its entirety. Sorry it's just not that simple.

Also those on the opposite to Kony 2012 are doing a better job informing people than the 30 minute video it seems. Also you're saying that those who worked with IC and may still work with them are giving them a good rating? Gee you think!? Are you overly gullible or trolling?

Last edited:
An other view against the cynics, coming from Havard.

Also you're saying that those who worked with IC and may still work with them are giving them a good rating? Gee you think!? Are you overly gullible or trolling?

I actually stated as well that they "claim", not putting too much value to it, but actually more value then those that claim not to know them, but being able to judge them.

Especially one that was best summed up by those who suffered in Uganda and not the American youth.

1) The people in Uganda expected, their story, in their norms. If they want that, they should make it, it changes nothing to IC, who did things the US way, to mobilise US resources. If both got together it would be a big step forward still.
2) Did you watch the video of IC? Clearly it is focused on the US, it is a media message made for the US, but there are people from Uganda in there, more then one, that support IC, actually that are the cause of IC to exist.

I stated before I agree with the critics on IC. I also see they do not provide a solution (awareness is only a pressure, not an action). But till now I have not seen a critic that has provided a focused action that was different or better. IC still has a merit to put this on the agenda of many (who are free to choose), the others riding the wave might have good ideas, but in stead of criticizing should follow the example, be clear, moving and focused in their message.

Be clear the only thing I did was watch the video and look into the subject. Put some conclusions here. All I recommend people to do is make up their own mind, critically (see also link of The guardian linked before).

Also those on the opposite to Kony 2012 are doing a better job informing people than the 30 minute video it seems.

I agree (from the beginning) that the video is not the best history book.
Now what do I remember from it: "There is a message to send to criminals in the world, if you do not respect Rights, the rest of the world will come and get you. We have the power, a new age has come."

I agree (from the beginning) that the critics are justified.
Now what do I remember from them:
* Africa is a lost cause, we tried before
* There are many other issues in Africa
* If you organise something, you need money to do that, this money does not go to the cause you are defending
* Hey there is attention for Africa, lets finally get our message out that we have failed to bring across before

I'm quite cynical about that something will change about Kony myself (@Dennisch I passed 30), but the message of Hope, Respect of Rights and having the power to change something I would like everyone to embrace.

Just, wow.
70955.gif

1) The people in Uganda expected, their story, in their norms. If they want that, they should make it, it changes nothing to IC, who did things the US way, to mobilise US resources. If both got together it would be a big step forward still.
2) Did you watch the video of IC? Clearly it is focused on the US, it is a media message made for the US, but there are people from Uganda in there, more then one, that support IC, actually that are the cause of IC to exist.

Yeah I did watch it. It offends those of Uganda in the attempts that will be made to shed light on Kony. There are several issues with this, the biggest is the fact that you and people for this movement have the idea that you learned about Kony before the U.S. gov't. The notion is quite asinine, especially considering that I showed evidence that the U.S. gov't has been on this for a while now. Also it's would be like me wearing a Assad tee in effort to bring attention to what is going on in Syria, I'm sure the Syrian community here in the states and overseas would appreciate a movement that plasters the guy causing it. You're argument is a third person being passed as first person. Basically saying the first world looks at it their way and Uganda does it differently... Why would Uganda people need IC to show their plight? Obviously IC couldn't get it right when they went their for those years making the video, but somehow it will be done justice if a tag team effor is made?

So that brings me to this question. Have you read through the entire thread?

I agree (from the beginning) that the critics are justified.
Now what do I remember from them:
* Africa is a lost cause, we tried before
* There are many other issues in Africa
* If you organise something, you need money to do that, this money does not go to the cause you are defending
* Hey there is attention for Africa, lets finally get our message out that we have failed to bring across before

Don't recall every saying the first one, there are many other issues but no one ever seems to be bigger than the other they tend to be interwoven. Third one needs no argument, if I give $200 USD to an organization to save whales, I would hope that it is actually going toward saving whales not 4 out of every 10 dollars I donate.

The last one is confusing I read it two different ways, the first is it is just point one and two put together. The other way is it doesn't mean much if anything at all to the topic at hand.

I'm quite cynical about that something will change about Kony myself (@Dennisch I passed 30), but the message of Hope, Respect of Rights and having the power to change something I would like everyone to embrace.

Who says the people against the Kony movement don't. That is my code of ethics that all humans should have equal freedom.

Wow. Guys, take a look at this:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17409934

"The co-founder of Invisible Children has been taken to hospital in San Diego, California, after he was found semi-naked and screaming at traffic.

Jason Russell narrated the Kony 2012 campaign video which went viral on the internet last week.

Police said he had been detained and taken to a medical facility.

In a statement, Invisible Children head Ben Keesey said that a "severe emotional toll" had led to an "unfortunate incident".

The statement said Mr Russell had been hospitalised on Thursday "suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition".

San Diego police spokeswoman Andra Brown told AFP news agency: "Officers responded to a radio call to check the welfare of an individual who was said to be running in the street, interfering with traffic, screaming - one person said that he was naked and masturbating."

She added that after assessing his condition, officers had decided to take him to a medical facility for treatment.

Invisible Children's 30 minute video on the use of child soldiers by Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda has been viewed tens of millions of times on YouTube over the past week.

It has the backing of countless celebrities and the International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor, but both the group and the video have also come under heavy criticism.

Activists say the campaign simplifies a complex issue, and questions have been raised about Invisible Children's financing."

Well, I don't know what people are gonna think of the video now, and how reliable it is. Though I can say that they're views are going to turn for the worse.

Threads merged...

This incident must have come as quite a shock to Jason Russell's organisation and his supporters. Fortunately, dealing with the likes of Kony have made them very good at absorbing shocks. Indeed, Kony shock absorbers are among the best shock absorbers around.

This incident must have come as quite a shock to Jason Russell's organisation and his supporters. Fortunately, dealing with the likes of Kony have made them very good at absorbing shocks. Indeed, Kony shock absorbers are among the best shock absorbers around.

Well played, sir, well played!

Was anyone else in the UK watching 10 O'Clock Live just now? Charlie Brooker's rant about Kony 2012 was brilliant! I've got it recorded and I'll try and get a clip online at some point.

Found it

WARNING: CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE

Found it

WARNING: CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE

Thanks Moglet, that was amazing it had everything that needed to be addressed about this joke of a slacktivist movement. The only thing they're missing which isn't their fault, is the fact that this guy ended up really being mentally unstable.

Thanks Moglet, that was amazing it had everything that needed to be addressed about this joke of a slacktivist movement. The only thing they're missing which isn't their fault, is the fact that this guy ended up really being mentally unstable.

This was broadcast last week before the breakdown made the news. I'm sure they'll discuss it this week! 👍

Back