Moby Dick #7 "The pass"

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Bit late to the party but has anyone managed to do this recently? Im struggling massively to get gold to the point its infuriating me. Ive followed every youtube guide i can find, quit and entered back in for every race variation, put traction to 0 in the settings then dialled uo to 2 in race, and driven well over 1000 miles on this challenge. Apparently its alot harder now than it was at launch due to patches etc. Any tips on the easiest AI run etc? My best time is just over 1:13

I would guess the supposed difficulty bug still exists.
I just placed 1st with a low 1:14 on hard difficulty.

But I think it was easier than when I did it in the earlier update cycles.

I would guess the supposed difficulty bug still exists.
I just placed 1st with a low 1:14 on hard difficulty.

But I think it was easier than when I did it in the earlier update cycles.
Yeah i did hear that a ballance patch may have made it harder and i did try doing it about 6months ago to no avail. Just started getting in to GT7 again and thought i would continue to try. Its just as hard. Im either losing valuable time somewhere or i dunno. There must be a certain sequence (quitting and restarting) which is the easiest to gold but im just completely stumped on this one. Drove over another 200 miles last night and 2nd was the best i could get and still half a second behind 1st. The Jag is always too far ahead or the NSX just pulls away. I can never get infront of the Porsche and NSX before the sharp S bend which ive seen in older videos.

Damned, what a nightmare...

I golded it recently (1st April, not an April fool) and it's far from easy.
I've scored several sub 1:14 scores... before finishing 1st with a medium 1:14.4...
I'm on controller and AT mode.

The replay is available here:

1713543633642.png

My "style" isn't very academic :D but hope it's help.

Last edited:
You're welcome and good luck because it's a very hard one.
Just loaded up GT to search for you but apparently you cant search by name. I cant view the video you posted on here.
Never mind. I searched the tag and found it. Gave you a like and a follow.

The wind direction has a huge impact on this one
I found generally if you have a headwind going through the Dunlop Chicane, you’ll have the best chance at getting gold as it’ll give you a tailwind on the straight
Ahhh i will try and reset until i find the headwind on the straight. Im guessing ive done this at somepoint with hundreds of hours logged on this challenge already.

Last edited:
I’ll try to make a reference video for this one tonight, if you haven’t got it beat already by then. I can’t remember which one this one is off the top of my head.

I’ll try to make a reference video for this one tonight, if you haven’t got it beat already by then. I can’t remember which one this one is off the top of my head.
Its Moby dick #7. The one in the GT-R Nismo. Im at the stage where i would just pay someone to beat it for me now lol. Driven another 200 miles tonight and can get 2nd but nowhere near 1st. Its just rediculous and something the devs really should adjust in line with the patches they release. Some old videos make it look really easy but its demon hard and very inconsistent.

It’s Moby dick #7. The one in the GT-R Nismo. Im at the stage where i would just pay someone to beat it for me now lol. Driven another 200 miles tonight and can get 2nd but nowhere near 1st. It’s just rediculous and something the devs really should adjust in line with the patches they release. Some old videos make it look really easy but it’s demon hard and very inconsistent.
Ok, I’ll make a reference video here shortly and post it in here for you, hopefully it will be of some help.

What difficulty are you trying it on by chance? Some of the challenges in the game have the difficulty inverted for some reason, like the Chilli races and some missions I think it was. But basically Hard is easy and Easy is Super Hard.

Its Moby dick #7. The one in the GT-R Nismo. Im at the stage where i would just pay someone to beat it for me now lol. Driven another 200 miles tonight and can get 2nd but nowhere near 1st. Its just rediculous and something the devs really should adjust in line with the patches they release. Some old videos make it look really easy but its demon hard and very inconsistent.

Edit: Crap, wrong The Pass. I didn’t realize there was two with the same name, Gimme a few min. 😂

Edit 2: Ok, so now that I’ve done the right one lol. Again I’m gonna say the AI seems a little bit faster on Easy, than Hard, but it’s not by much, 1:13.4 was good enough for 1st/Gold on both Hard and Easy. Put your TCS on 1. Stay in 4th for the first 2 corners, then make sure to use 3rd out of the left hander before the hairpin, but downshift to 1st to maximize engine braking, then double shift back up. After that, it’s just a matter of keeping smooth through the final few corners mostly. If you can catch the NSX by that last turn, you can throw it up his inside, and it won’t fail you for minor side contact it seems, plus he seems to back off if you do that too. It lets you get a good run down the final straight to the finish line. I Shared the replays in game, and tagged them GTPlanet and ThePass, so you can find it easily. Hopefully this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll make a reference video here shortly and post it in here for you, hopefully it will be of some help.

What difficulty are you trying it on by chance? Some of the challenges in the game have the difficulty inverted for some reason, like the Chilli races and some missions I think it was. But basically Hard is easy and Easy is Super Hard.
Think im on normal mate. I will try putting it on hard and see if it makes a difference but i didnt think difficult made a difference to licence tests and missions just races etc. I will give it a go tho.

Edit: Crap, wrong The Pass. I didn’t realize there was two with the same name, Gimme a few min. 😂

Edit 2: Ok, so now that I’ve done the right one lol. Again I’m gonna say the AI seems a little bit faster on Easy, than Hard, but it’s not by much, 1:13.4 was good enough for 1st/Gold on both Hard and Easy. Put your TCS on 1. Stay in 4th for the first 2 corners, then make sure to use 3rd out of the left hander before the hairpin, but downshift to 1st to maximize engine braking, then double shift back up. After that, it’s just a matter of keeping smooth through the final few corners mostly. If you can catch the NSX by that last turn, you can throw it up his inside, and it won’t fail you for minor side contact it seems, plus he seems to back off if you do that too. It lets you get a good run down the final straight to the finish line. I Shared the replays in game, and tagged them GTPlanet and ThePass, so you can find it easily. Hopefully this helps, good luck!

Well another hour on it to no avail. I guess i may just have to admit defeat on this one.

Do you have a YouTube? Or share your replay in game, if I can see your lines/markers, I can likely find you the time.
I will do a run later on after work and post it with a GTplanet tag. If anything its the last sector causing me issues when trying to take the porsche. Down to the Chicane i can get my leading car time to what your at but after that the porsche either makes contact or i cant pass him by the really tight, off camber left before the last turn. I defenately think there is a sweet run when you quit and restart. Sometimes the NSX hits the straight before the jag and other times after the jag and other times the porsche is in front until the straight where the NSX will take the porsche and the Jag. I think its about finding the right run and then driving well. Im struggling with both 😂

I will do a run later on after work and post it with a GTplanet tag. If anything its the last sector causing me issues when trying to take the porsche. Down to the Chicane i can get my leading car time to what your at but after that the porsche either makes contact or i cant pass him by the really tight, off camber left before the last turn. I defenately think there is a sweet run when you quit and restart. Sometimes the NSX hits the straight before the jag and other times after the jag and other times the porsche is in front until the straight where the NSX will take the porsche and the Jag. I think its about finding the right run and then driving well. Im struggling with both 😂
Sorry but there's no Jaguar here.
There's an Audi R8 LMS Evo, a Lexus RCF GR3, a Porsche 911 RSR, a Honda NSX Concept, and an Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

Another interesting video if you need another one:

Sorry but there's no Jaguar here.
There's an Audi R8 LMS Evo, a Lexus RCF GR3, a Porsche 911 RSR, a Honda NSX Concept, and an Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

Another interesting video if you need another one:

My bad, i meant the Vantage that leads on to the straight. Not a Jag 🙈 I sell car parts for a living and dont even know the difference between an Aston and a Jag 😂

Last edited:
My bad, i meant the Vantage that leads on to the straight. Not a Jag 🙈
No worries :)

I remember that I've tried for +/-260 kms the day before I won this one.
After winning, i've promised myself to NEVER come back here :lol: !!!

Here is my suggestion to maximise the chance to win this mission:

1713596106251.png

You must overtake the Audi and the Lexus in the 100R curve (before point 5).

The exit speed at the hairpin (6) is critical to get closer as possible to the RSR and the NSX.

You should be right behind these 2 cars at Dunlop (10).

Overtake the Porsche before 12 if possible (after 13, it will be much more complicate to win).

Get closer as possible from the NSX and the Aston at Netz (14 - 15).

As much as possible, take the 2nd place before or in Panasonic (16).

If you're doing right, you should overtake the Aston in the straight.

No worries :)

I remember that I've tried for +/-260 kms the day before I won this one.
After winning, i've promised myself to NEVER come back here :lol: !!!

Here is my suggestion to maximise the chance to win this mission:

View attachment 1348372

You must overtake the Audi and the Lexus in the 100R curve (before point 5).

The exit speed at the hairpin (6) is critical to get closer as possible to the RSR and the NSX.

You should be right behind these 2 cars at Dunlop (10).

Overtake the Porsche before 12 if possible (after 13, it will be much more complicate to win).

Get closer as possible from the NSX and the Aston at Netz (14 - 15).

As much as possible, take the 2nd place before or in Panasonic (16).

If you're doing right, you should overtake the Aston in the straight.
Nice. Thats more or less what ive been doing in the 1st half. I can even sometimes pass the porsche and NSX by turn 10 but not enough to be able to get back on the race line to to take 10 and 11 without them cutting in and bumping me.
Its 11 onwards im losing time somewhere because i can never get on the inside of the porsche and remain in front of him by the tight 13 turn. He usually cuts in on me and i get a bump or im travelling too slow to gain on the NSX by turn 15. I will get there sometime. Ive made it my life goal 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i still cant so it so i think im just going to write it off. ...
I hear you, however, ... I wouldn't !
I remember many challenges in all these years that took me way more time - stay patient and persistent, it'll be worth it.
I've tried the mission yesterday night out of curiosity, what I found was ...

• it's easier on hard mode than on easy mode
  • regarding the AI, every run is different from the one before
  • there's quite a range of ways to win this, I've had first place runs between 1.13.4 and 1.15.3 yesterday
  • you've got some really good advice here

You still haven't shared a replay of your driving, why ? That could actually be helpful. ;)

I hear you, however, ... I wouldn't !
I remember many challenges in all these years that took me way more time - stay patient and persistent, it'll be worth it.
I've tried the mission yesterday night out of curiosity, what I found was ...

• it's easier on hard mode than on easy mode
  • regarding the AI, every run is different from the one before
  • there's quite a range of ways to win this, I've had first place runs between 1.13.4 and 1.15.3 yesterday
  • you've got some really good advice here

You still haven't shared a replay of your driving, why ? That could actually be helpful. ;)
I didnt set any good runs yesterday, well not where i didn't know where i messed up anyway lol. I set a 1:14.2 yesterday and was still back on the Aston. Gaining but ran out of road. I know one thing for sure, if i ever so this in gold im never doing it again 😂😂.

I didnt set any good runs yesterday, well not where i didn't know where i messed up anyway lol. I set a 1:14.2 yesterday and was still back on the Aston. Gaining but ran out of road. I know one thing for sure, if i ever so this in gold im never doing it again 😂😂.
I've uploaded two more gold runs that I did today - there's four of them meanwhile as this mission seems a permanent issue.
So if you're interested in more stuff to watch ...
Title : Moby Dick on Fuji / Tags : #gtp, #fuji, #missionstruggle

I've uploaded two more gold runs that I did today - there's four of them meanwhile as this mission seems a permanent issue.
So if you're interested in more stuff to watch ...
Title : Moby Dick on Fuji / Tags : #gtp, #fuji, #missionstruggle
Man, i wish i had your skills to just get this one done and move on 😂. Maybe you should just screen share with me and get that gold and the bragging rights 😂. I was ao cloce today, literally another 100th of a second and i would have done it. Once again tho, i know where i messed up. I will search out your runs now and take a look.

Man, i wish i had your skills to just get this one done and move on 😂. Maybe you should just screen share with me and get that gold and the bragging rights 😂. I was ao cloce today, literally another 100th of a second and i would have done it. Once again tho, i know where i messed up. I will search out your runs now and take a look.
To be honest, I had brutal fun today - the Nismo's a hell of a racing machine, isn't it.
You'll do it I'm sure - and that's the moments that let you grow. ;)

Latest Posts

Back