[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,844 comments
The game just pseudorandomly picks one of the multiple prize cars defined in event data, in one of its multiple available colors. There are no "drop rates" defined anywhere, it's all good ol' RNG.

Want to know actual pain? Getting the Lancia Stratos in all of its colors. I did it once and it took me over 20 races.

@pez2k can correct me as necessary (largely since I primarily lurk and haven't touched the mod), but I'm pretty sure that he hasn't touched the prize car drop rates. That just sounds like standard GT2 RNG at play.
Originally would have 4 colors to get through. With the added colors, the chances of getting what u want are low,

I've been doing this same track since thar post earlier, and I still haven't got it, I've gotta have between 10-12 hours in this now. Needs moved to where it isn't part of a prize pool imo.

I have got all the lancia colors on ASpec mod but I used psp go pause function to manipulate it. It won't change the car color u get, but if u got the viper u can reset and it will give u the stratos.

Trust me, it wasn't neeeearly as painful as this has been.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating, I implore u to try and get the dark grey 400R. I've been grinding since I woke up and still nothing.

17064791734337544245702309279885.jpg

Is there any difference at all between the 300zx and the Z ver.S?

Why thr naming difference between them? The descriptions are the exact same as well.

Is there any difference at all between the 300zx and the Z ver.S?

The 300ZX is the US version of the car, while the Z is the Japanese version. Unlike most renamed cars, they're actually separate standalone cars, so with all of the regional restrictions removed both can show up. They're slightly different trim levels, with certain body styles only being sold in one market or the other, but largely the same.

As for the prize car colours, it's entirely random, so in theory it could take an infinite amount of attempts to get a specific colour if you're unlucky enough. This is the same as the original game, as unlike GT1 it seems that GT2 does generate sufficiently random results.

Well. I hate this. Thanks for ****ing so many colors from the Skyline series.

I'm pretty sure even if I spent 2 weeks and still didn't get thus color you would just say "working as intended"

If it was just the original 4 colors I would have got it yesterday. Adding colors have fckd th
As the others said, you just have bad luck with the random prize generator. I in the past had to repeat one of the Euro League races to get the Castrol Supra GT 1996 in the color I wanted and it sucked, but that's what you have to put up with sometimes.

If you want it in that color so bad, I could suggest using a cheat to buy it.

yesterday

If it was just the original 4 colors I would have got it yesterday. Adding colors have fckd the odds.

As the others said, you just have bad luck with the random prize generator. I in the past had to repeat one of the Euro League races to get the Castrol Supra GT 1996 in the color I wanted and it sucked, but that's what you have to put up with sometimes.

If you want it in that color so bad, I could suggest using a cheat to buy it.
Never.

Just one of you go unlock this car in this color if you just think I have bad luck, this has got to be the hardest unlock in the game now.

Last edited:
Dark grey/black
Okay, the dark grey one. I was wondering if you were still thinking full-on black as the 400R in this mod doesn't actually come in that color.

With that said, Pez2k told me himself that the prize cars are NOT odds based. They're actually random, you're not going to get the same results with prize cars in one playthrough of GT2 (mods or not) as in another.

Well. I hate this. Thanks for ****ing so many colors from the Skyline series.

I'm pretty sure even if I spent 2 weeks and still didn't get thus color you would just say "working as intended"

As people have already posted, this is exactly how the game works and always has since the 90s. I understand you're frustrated, but getting aggressive about it and spamming this thread will not change anything.

You have a lot of options here to be honest - the simplest is to just use a cheat to buy the car in the colour you want or repaint one you've already won. Alternatively, the Light version of the mod doesn't include any additional content, and both the Light and Complete versions are open-source so you can go in and remove every colour other than Dark Gray if you really want to. Finally, you have the option to simply not use this mod at all, if it's making you so angry. However, even the original unmodified game will still give you the chance of being unlucky and never getting that specific colour, because this is how it has always worked.

Out of curiousity, can the odds even be messed with?

No, the game generates a random number bounded to the number of prizes, and then just picks the prize with that number. In theory listing a prize car multiple times for a single event would increase the likelihood of it being the one picked, but that would make no difference with colours short of having a ton of duplicate colours on the car to bias it.

Just one of you go unlock this car in this color if you just think I have bad luck, this has got to be the hardest unlock in the game now.

The Mazdaspeed Roadster C-Spec is one of four prizes in the events where it shows up, and also has six colours, so winning one of those in a specific colour like black is less likely than getting a grey 400R. The Stratos is only one of two prizes and only has five colours, but it needs a whole endurance race to be redone to have another chance at winning one. I've not touched either of those cars, yet everyone else who has played GT2 in the last 25 years has managed to not lose their temper with me about it.

As people have already posted, this is exactly how the game works and always has since the 90s. I understand you're frustrated, but getting aggressive about it and spamming this thread will not change anything.

You have a lot of options here to be honest - the simplest is to just use a cheat to buy the car in the colour you want or repaint one you've already won. Alternatively, the Light version of the mod doesn't include any additional content, and both the Light and Complete versions are open-source so you can go in and remove every colour other than Dark Gray if you really want to. Finally, you have the option to simply not use this mod at all, if it's making you so angry. However, even the original unmodified game will still give you the chance of being unlucky and never getting that specific colour, because this is how it has always worked.

No, the game generates a random number bounded to the number of prizes, and then just picks the prize with that number. In theory listing a prize car multiple times for a single event would increase the likelihood of it being the one picked, but that would make no difference with colours short of having a ton of duplicate colours on the car to bias it.

The Mazdaspeed Roadster C-Spec is one of four prizes in the events where it shows up, and also has six colours, so winning one of those in a specific colour like black is less likely than getting a grey 400R. The Stratos is only one of two prizes and only has five colours, but it needs a whole endurance race to be redone to have another chance at winning one. I've not touched either of those cars, yet everyone else who has played GT2 in the last 25 years has managed to not lose their temper with me about it.
Sure I could play another mod or vanilla, but then again I already have 100+ hours in this.

I'm not running a cheat or modifying the game, not in my nature.

Just going to spend yet another day grinding I guess.at least I've watched a few anime series since I started.

And I stand by my original statement that it should just be moved out of a prize pool but it's not my mod so that's just an opinion. But why make any part of the game more frustrating than it already would have been. It's like the only 2 decisions to do that had to effect my favorite line of cars, so if course it's frustrating.

And by my count there's 8 colors for thus car now? Officially putting it past the Roadster Cspec as the most difficult unlock in the game now. (OH it's out of a 4 prize pool, I'm not a mathematician so I don't know which of those would have the lower odds)

Last edited:
Sure I could play another mod or vanilla, but then again I already have 100+ hours in this.

I mean, I highly recommend it if you're going to keep complaining about your luck.

But why make any part of the game more frustrating than it already would have been? It's like the only 2 decisions to do that had to effect my favorite line of cars, so if course it's frustrating.
Why are you letting this bother you so much over one color?
And by my count there's 8 colors for thus car now? Officially putting it past the Roadster Cspec as the most difficult unlock in the game now. (OH it's out of a 4 prize pool, I'm not a mathematician so I don't know which of those would have the lower odds)
There's 6 colors on the 400R: Midnight Purple Pearl, Deep Blue Marine Pearl, Super Clear Red III, Sonic Silver Metallic, White, and Dark-Gray Pearl. The 400R R33 Skyline is also 1 of 3 prize cars you can unlock in the Tuned Turbo Car Cup versus the Mazdaspeed Roadster C-Spec being 1 of 4 prize cars. The Mazdaspeed Roadster like the 400R comes in 6 colors.

Now going back to this comment:
Okay, there. Yeah, it took quite a few tries to get it in this color, but I did it.
SCUS-94488_2024-01-29_11-39-55.png

I mean, I highly recommend it if you're going to keep complaining about your luck.

Why are you letting this bother you so much over one color?

There's 6 colors on the 400R: Midnight Purple Pearl, Deep Blue Marine Pearl, Super Clear Red III, Sonic Silver Metallic, White, and Dark-Gray Pearl. The 400R R33 Skyline is also 1 of 3 prize cars you can unlock in the Tuned Turbo Car Cup versus the Mazdaspeed Roadster C-Spec being 1 of 4 prize cars. The Mazdaspeed Roadster like the 400R comes in 6 colors.

Now going back to this comment:

Okay, there. Yeah, it took quite a few tries to get it in this color, but I did it.
View attachment 1323688
Thanks carguy for proving its there I was starting to have doubts. I guess it bothers me so much because the 2 cars I would be using the most until end game are this, and the Skyline 87,' which I can't get in my preferred colors either.

And pez just to be clear because I'm sure it's lost in all of my frustration fueled post, plus mod is the definitive version of GT2. The game is better for having it. Thanks for your contributions.

Well, it's not in this game's nature to care if you win the same random prize car in the same color 50 times in a row. And you can't get a paint job in this game, but you can get a useless car wash. It is what it is...

It does amuse me that someone could have a moral objection to cheating, but no objection to asking the dev to make something easier.

(Tbh I could see myself being the same way in some cases)

Congrats on finally winning the gray one.

It does amuse me that someone could have a moral objection to cheating, but no objection to asking the dev to make something easier.

(Tbh I could see myself being the same way in some cases)

Congrats on finally winning the gray one.
I wouldn't even be around for said patch, so I wouldn't be benefitting from that. Just pointing out that with the extra colors getting what u want out of prize pools can be a 3 day endeavor

Last edited:
Well, it's not in this game's nature to care if you win the same random prize car in the same color 50 times in a row. And you can't get a paint job in this game, but you can get a useless car wash. It is what it is...
Car wash was added as an excuse to have the banger car wash song obvs.

Any other instance of the same color looking so different? First pic is the Tommy Kaira version.

17069949929186829272334215176130.jpg

Attachments

• 1706995020201656527633658247025.jpg
    1706995020201656527633658247025.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 6
Any other instance of the same color looking so different? First pic is the Tommy Kaira version.

Yeah, tons and tons of the paint colours aren't consistent between cars - it's probably not something I'll be tackling though as it would be a massive amount of work and probably need some dedicated tooling to stop it from being totally maddening to do.

Back