Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 759 comments
R3V
CM haven't made anything decent since Grid 2 and Criterion's NFS-branded burnout games were garbage. It's no coincidence the last NFS that was actually focused on racing/driving was made by Black Box.

I'm tired of executives not knowing what made a franchise successful and running it into the ground then parachuting out. This may be the last NFS I bother with.

edit

The Run.
Honestly don't even know if you're being serious. Criterions games are some of the most competent NFS games done, particularly hot pursuit. Codemasters hot take is your opinion but Grid 2 is probably the worst thing Codemasters have made aside from Dirt Showdown and The Run wasn't really focused on racing because it was attached to a terrible story with terrible cut scenes and scripted driving sections.

I think anyone completed both OG Undergrounds could manage better project than any manager(s) sitting on NFS past 10 years

There are a few gameplay leaks showing an open world, so that's what I would expect. A few cars have been revealed in those leaks as well, including a Cheverolet Bel Air and a Ferrari F50. I'm keeping an eye on this, Need For Speed games are hit and miss for me (but then so are most game franchises these days) but it'd be nice if it turns out to be one of the hits.
F50 back in NFS game? This is actually great :D

I wonder if Codies will have some influence on this series going forward, might mean the driving physics would improve if they do...

I wonder if Codies will have some influence on this series going forward, might mean the driving physics would improve if they do...
probably the next one after this, Codies was added in as support around April this year and I doubt they can fix much in such a short time.

But the Codemasters that EA send to help NFS are the ones that did Dirt 5, that has somewhat wonky physics too (mostly on air and collusion physics during my playthrough).

Last edited:
probably the next one after this, Codies was added in as support around April this year and I doubt they can fix much in such a short time.

But the Codemasters that EA send to help NFS are the ones that did Dirt 5, that has somewhat wonky physics too (mostly on air and collusion physics during my playthrough).
The ideal scenario would be some open world grid legends project cars hybrid, probably too much to ask lol

I am excited and worried at the same time because it's been a while when EA made a good NFS game. I hope EA doesn't kill the series with this one.

Hopefully the city/map is actually interesting this time around. The Heat one is so dull and uninteresting.
It got leaked a while ago and should be quite accurate. Folks on reddit was able to match up this map with the few leak footage:
nfs22map-1536x1455-jpg.1142852

I have some expectations that they might also release it for mobile. All of those anime effects look just like they were made for this, like an Asphalt 9 arcade-style game. They were already testing perfomance and optimization with NFS Heat garage editor and NFS No Limits.

Chances are low but at the end of the day, nfs haven't brought anything new for many years, EA is greedy and Mobile is the best place to sell your game and make profits from IAP's. Seems like a perfect strategy for me.

It got leaked a while ago and should be quite accurate. Folks on reddit was able to match up this map with the few leak footage:
nfs22map-1536x1455-jpg.1142852
Ok, but I meant more visually and what is in the world. Beyond the generic looking downtown area and generic looking outskirts, there really isn't anything to the Heat map that you'd remember, nor many interesting race routes.

I have some expectations that they might also release it for mobile. All of those anime effects look just like they were made for this, like an Asphalt 9 arcade-style game. They were already testing perfomance and optimization with NFS Heat garage editor and NFS No Limits.

Chances are low but at the end of the day, nfs haven't brought anything new for many years, EA is greedy and Mobile is the best place to sell your game and make profits from IAP's. Seems like a perfect strategy for me.
a new F2P mobile game is in the works by TIMI, developers that did CoD Mobile. So I don't think this one will be going to mobile and F2P.

Ok, but I meant more visually and what is in the world. Beyond the generic looking downtown area and generic looking outskirts, there really isn't anything to the Heat map that you'd remember, nor many interesting race routes.
Visually not much, other than the city looks nice but I remember a lot of the sprint and circuit routes are good. It has a more race track feel with good combination of high and low speed turns while Forza Horizon tracks just doesn't seem to have a flow to it.

Last edited:
I'll agree that Heat's map was quite visually boring, but I remember it having a lot of nice racing roads with interesting elevation.

I'll agree that Heat's map was quite visually boring, but I remember it having a lot of nice racing roads with interesting elevation.
Compared to Payback it was definitely a step backward. If you’re looking for inspiring driving roads and scenic routes, you won’t find that in Florida. Hopefully they put mountains back in the NFS, those roads are what made the 2015-era NFS’s for me.

Last edited:
Some of it was pretty good but there wasn't really any memorable routes. I only played it a couple of weeks ago and I struggle to visualise anything in particular, just a few fun high speed backroads in the top left area.

Some screenshot just got leaked from japanese store:
QqY9JXL.jpeg

ximeP7e.jpeg

Th3Gc0w.jpeg

isahb9gse0s91.jpg

These looks very anime compared to the leaks.

*Edit
Translated game description:

Beat the clock, outsmart the cops, and compete in weekly qualifiers for Lakeshore's ultimate street racing challenge: The Grand. Fill your garage with precision-tuned custom machines, put on your own style and exclusive looks, and light up the streets with a soundtrack that resonates from every corner of the world.

■ The world is your canvas: Bringing graffiti to life in a completely new visual style, combining the latest in street art with the most realistic Need for Speed cars ever. Access a new toolkit full of energetic visuals and sound effects, including Burst Nitrous, a new boost element for dizzying speed.

■ Fully demonstrate your abilities and express yourself: Head to meetups and show off your style with tons of items, including exclusive gear, from the world's latest fashion. Then add the finishing touches to your car's style, transforming it with unique wraps and cut-out items to match your legendary custom car, and take the lead in races and put your winning pose above the competition.

■ Find freedom as it flows: A soundtrack featuring pioneering artists in the contemporary HIPHOP scene, including A$AP Rocky and AWGE, delivering original songs that transcend genre boundaries. The original music was produced by French producer Brodinsky. The songs, which are closely related to various HIPHOP expressions from around the world, embody the underground culture itself, which can be said to be the heart of Lake Shore.

Last edited:
Compared to Payback it was definitely a step backward. If you’re looking for inspiring driving roads and scenic routes, you won’t find that in Florida. Hopefully they put mountains back in the NFS, those roads are what made the 2015-era NFS’s for me.
Except heat isn't Florida, really, because there were mountains - which made the whole thing feel incongruous. I didn't like the map too much in Heat - it felt pretty ambiguous throughout whereas Payback's map felt more deliberate and borrowed a little more faithfully from it's source location. You had the city (which was also more fun to drive around than Heat's), the desert and the mountains. Heat by contrast was this kind of nebulous blob of landscape. Heat did provide a pretty great atmosphere at night, however - though Payback's day/night cycle was compelling in it's own right.

edit: Lakeshore would heavily imply Chicago as the inspiration. The leaked map seems to align with that - the river down the middle of the city is very Chicago. Interesting choice...and like Heat all of the elevation will be pretty fabricated - Chicago is flat as a pancake.

Last edited:
Hm, I really don't want to be the grumpy old man here, but I hope, we can deactivate these lit* effects. Just in case, they're too much.

I enjoyed Heat a lot, hope I'll end up enjoying this aswell.

*chose this as a modern word for "cool". I apologize, if it's total 2017...

Some screenshot just got leaked from japanese store:
QqY9JXL.jpeg

ximeP7e.jpeg

Th3Gc0w.jpeg

isahb9gse0s91.jpg

These looks very anime compared to the leaks.

*Edit
Translated game description:

Beat the clock, outsmart the cops, and compete in weekly qualifiers for Lakeshore's ultimate street racing challenge: The Grand. Fill your garage with precision-tuned custom machines, put on your own style and exclusive looks, and light up the streets with a soundtrack that resonates from every corner of the world.

■ The world is your canvas: Bringing graffiti to life in a completely new visual style, combining the latest in street art with the most realistic Need for Speed cars ever. Access a new toolkit full of energetic visuals and sound effects, including Burst Nitrous, a new boost element for dizzying speed.

■ Fully demonstrate your abilities and express yourself: Head to meetups and show off your style with tons of items, including exclusive gear, from the world's latest fashion. Then add the finishing touches to your car's style, transforming it with unique wraps and cut-out items to match your legendary custom car, and take the lead in races and put your winning pose above the competition.

■ Find freedom as it flows: A soundtrack featuring pioneering artists in the contemporary HIPHOP scene, including A$AP Rocky and AWGE, delivering original songs that transcend genre boundaries. The original music was produced by French producer Brodinsky. The songs, which are closely related to various HIPHOP expressions from around the world, embody the underground culture itself, which can be said to be the heart of Lake Shore.
I'm really not a fan. Like I said before, it feels like it's 17 years too late. I would expect this out of 2005, but the style looks way too outdated. Let's hope this is just the marketing and the in game graphics retain a more realistic approach.

Latest Posts

Back