Normal Car Cup

• Thread starter psonefreak
  • 175 comments
If anyone beat the Normal Car Cup, what car did you beat it with? I went with the Dodge Viper RT/10 even though the sugested one is the GTS. The RT/10 is a few hundred pounds lighter with the same HP.

From memory it was the prize for getting all gold in the second highest license level. If I remember correctly the prize for all gold in the highest license level was some tuned GT-R (400R?)

B License all golds gave you the red concept car, A License all golds gave you the TRD3000GT and all gold on IA License gave you...I think...the Nismo400R

I've beat it with Viper GTS (very easy), Viper R/T 10 (also very easy) and NSX Type S Zero. The Type S Zero gave some more challenge. I've found that in GT1, the Viper R/T 10 handles better than the GTS.

It was too long ago for me to remember what I used in the cup. I probably was some kind of Viper cause those were my favorite way back in the day when I was young and innocent...

i used the RT/10. the NSX pissed me off, nothing else really seemed right, and the GTS must've been designed wrong, because it likes driving in circles and putting the rear in front when you accellerate.

You guys suck. :P

I managed it in the Griffith, Cerebra, NSX type-R and I swear I did it with an RX-7. Although the first few times I did use a viper GTS.

Interesting additions (maybe):

GTO'92twinturbo *
GTO'95MR

SupraRZ
Supra'95RZ
Toyota TRD3000GT *

Skyline GT-R'89 *
Skyline GT-R'95
Skyline GT-R Vspec
Skyline GT-R VspecII
Skyline GT-R Nismo
Nismo400R *

NSXtypeS
NSX'93
NSX

Impreza'96WRX STiIII
ImprezaTypeR
Impreza'94Wagon

Corvette'67 *

* Indicates ones I am sure beat the AI NSX. Often I cheat and reload to race only the TRD with no NSX.

I never have won with a Mazda.

Later I managed...

FD RX-7 '91 Type R *
FD RX-7 Type RZ *
FD RX-7 Aspec

Okay, I've now won (against a no-NSX field) with two Mazdas:

RX-7 Type RZ
RX-7 Aspec

With the AI NSX absent, it seemed relatively easy, although I came second at DFRWii in both cases.

Both cars felt a little underpowered, and I suspect I would lose to the NSX at SSR11 as well as DFRWii and probably GVEii. I should probably try sometime, though.

The RX-7 Aspec has the "zero downforce" bug, and did seem a little tricky to handle. All-in-all there didn't seem to be much to choose between the two cars.

I should be able to get similar results with the much cheaper 1991 RX-7 Type R, as well as the nearly identical new RX-7 Type RB Bathurst. The Touring X has a substantial weight penalty, however.

The suspension on RX-7's is really unstable. i.e. Like run a kerb around a moderately fast corner and one side of your car will start bunny hopping. And when you think thats bad, you go do all mods to the car and watch how bad it gets then - bunny hopping the whole way around a corner, that can lose you a good 5 seconds.

Like many others, I used the RT/10. It just seemed to handle so darn well in the license tests. Yes it's easy money...

I also won with the Cerbera (later on); I won so many Arcade races with an FDRX-7, that I may give the Normal Cup a try in the RZ one day.

Originally posted by SportWagon
I should be able to get similar results with the much cheaper 1991 RX-7 Type R, as well as the nearly identical new RX-7 Type RB Bathurst. The Touring X has a substantial weight penalty, however.
Yup, I used the FD RX-7 '91 Type R, in various forms, to win nearly all series in my last game. I haven't tried to beat the NSX in the Normal (yet), but instead reloaded until it was not there.

I used a Eunos Cosmo 20B (an' a li'l bit o' luck) in the Mega Speed Cup, though.

If you race-mod a Touring X it gets interesting-looking green wheels.

On the weekend I beat the NSX twice in the Normal series, using RX-7's.

First I used the '91 Type R. It took me two tries. (I.e. I lost once). But after that I managed 2nd at GVEii and 3rd at DFRWii to win by 1 point, 37 to 36. Winning at SSR11 had been tricky (2nd place there there caused me to lose the first time), but by using all the road and some of the walls, and concentrating hard but keeping relaxed throught the central chicane, I managed to squeeze enough extra speed to just barely keep ahead of the NSX.

After that, I won with the Brilliant Black new RX-7 Type RZ. The series progressed similarly, although I did with this car come very close to winning at GVEii too. I was inside the NSX at the last corner, but couldn't quite pull off the pass.

In both series, the AI cars were quite vicious at DFRWii. With the '91 Type R I actually got past the TRD for a while, but it rammed into me and sent me way down the field, but luckily I worked my way back up to the required 3rd place. With the Type RZ I was more conservative, but the AI still bashed me around a bit, causing me to have to get third place from behind.

Originally posted by SpeedRaca
The suspension on RX-7's is really unstable. i.e. Like run a kerb around a moderately fast corner and one side of your car will start bunny hopping. And when you think thats bad, you go do all mods to the car and watch how bad it gets then - bunny hopping the whole way around a corner, that can lose you a good 5 seconds.
For a fully-modded RX-7 (tuned or [R]) softish springs and dampers (e.g. left close to what they are when you fit the Racing Suspension) but stiff stabilizers of 5F/4R seemed to work for me to stop most bouncing. (And get rid of that dreadful final oversteer). Oh yes. Keep the ride height pretty high, too. I went down only to 109/109.

And watch the brake intensity and balance, too. I use 11/11 tuned, and 12/12 for a race-mod versions of this car.

Based on my repeated results with the RX-7 Type RZ I think a slightly better player than I should be able to ace the Normal Series (all poles, and all first place) with any FD RX-7 except perhaps the Touring X.

I actually managed to beat the NSX at Deep Forest with the Type RZ.

Back