Online coming alive?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 353 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
Last night, after one hour of GT5P, I spent again several hours playing FC online (my offline career is suffering from this but ... ). It all started with an invitation from Biggles, he was hosting a lobby racing the 360GT. I had the car unlocked, but not bought, so I went to buy it, put a blue stripe on it (to look distinctive :D ) and joined his lobby (4 racers with me). And ...

... "oh no, braking zones are off and we're going to race in a italian circuit (don't remember the name) I barely raced in so far. Wait ... assists allowed? hmmm ... unusual, but I won't take advantage of it ..." . So ... first race was a total mess, I only got the hang of it in the last few laps and even so I managed to have my fastest lap 2 seconds better than the guy in 3rd place. Biggles and some other guy were, of course, only dots in my screen from turn 1 onward (did I mention that the first time I messed up was ... turn 1, first lap? :crazy: )

Then I thought "Well, Biggles will show some mercy on this poor soul and will turn "braking zones on". But no, the guy was in a bad mood and not only did he keep the settings (assist on, but I defended my dignity and kept them off) but he also chose ... Virginia Raceway :ill:.

As it happened I was 1st in the "grid", so I just did the straight and parked to let them guys all by. Then, made a mess of myself the entire race and even parked again when they all ... lapped me :crazy:

Biggles left after that race, not to be seen again that night. Then ...

I got a message from GTP_ENERGIYA saying he was back in business with FC, so I opened up a F430 Chalklenge room and we went straight to Monza. He asked me to keep the assists available, since he's now just returning to this game, so I did.

After a few races, we already had company. From these boards I saw only Mekanaizer - for a few races - but several other players showed up.

We did Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Redwood Park (Gilles Villeneuve), Infineon and a few others. Players were showing up and leaving, but a steady cmpany arrived, a brit called RSRacer, very fast, impressive really at Infineon (where I sucked). And then, when we arrived to Paul Ricard (by that time just the three of us, it was about 2.30 AM in my country), suddenly 5 (FIVE) americans showed up, filling the room completely. All of them had headsets, mid race I kept hearing them asking if the race was about to finish.

So, I went for another one at Paul Ricard. Won it with RSRacer behind, Energiya 3rd and the americans all over the place :D

Back to the lobby, I hear them saying that the host should be driving with assists on (because those were the session's settings). I coulsdn't take that lightly :D, so I went for my headset, plugged it in and after (courteously) saying "goodnight gentleman", I also told them "I heard you asking for me to take all assists off, so I'll do just that. Would you like to pick the circuit?". They thanked and asked for ... Spa :D

Energiya had left, so the Spa race had no real history. I had a nice fight with RSRacer (he's on my friends list now), and the americans ... well, half of them gave up, the other half was all over the place again :dopey:

It was all great fun, after the race we had a few laughs about it (one of them later sent me a friends request) and what I understood from them was that they were all real life friends that planned on a FC night without knowing the game really well. However, they were keen on returning.

I maybe a bit hopeful here, but I think FC could be just starting to grow a community in both sides of the Atlantic. If that happens, I hope system3 or eutechnyx have online stats that'll show it and they take good notice of this.

Wow, I just realized I wrote a huge post, if anyone managed to read it all ... my compliments, you just lost a few precious moments of your life reading a useless piece of text. :)

great post hun...

i am here for fc too..

add me; hozes...

i hope we will have great races, all assists off...
but nıw in my country there is celebrity ( turkeY )..after that celebrity i have to go out for months for my job..and after that i am all in fc...

Didn't intend to humiliate you Hun! ;)

The fact is, it does take a while to learn the tracks well & then to adjust to a new car. The 360GT is one of my favourites - a little less powerful than the 430, but looser feeling & more agile, plus it has the greatest sound (also check out the Modena 360).

Virginia is a great track - very tricky, quick twists & turns, off-camber corners & little elevation changes.

Didn't realize that I had left "Assists" on. Generally, I turn everything off to attract the better racers (that's what I look for in a lobby), but I guess it further penalizes the "learning" drivers. Some poor guy got lapped twice! in a couple of races - maybe somebody's granny was having a go... :sly:

There seems to be a fair bit of activity online with European drivers, but much less in NA, Hopefully that will change soon.

Biggle, i would like to race you one day. i have heard a lot about you ( ALL GOOD )

Send me a friend request. GTP_ENERGIYA

@ HOZES fell free to add me.

Last edited:
minutes ago we have great races with mekanaizer...

espesiaaly on the first race we pass the racing line together...we have five races including spa( 2 times ),monza misano and mugello...not having fun for a long time like that...
energiya i add you when i open my ps3...see you on tracks guys...

Never encountered anyone from Oz yet on FC online - really enjoyed racing the folks from down-under when we had a chance with GT5P W.E.s.

Will add you & Hozes to my "Friends" - hope to see you out there...

the us gamers get teh fixes of it,and on the official forum it is said that we eu players get it before chrismis...

but even without fix,if you set the ffb high,it is not a big deal...

when you get used to it, believe me it is perfect...fighting with the feel,make you more concentrate on the race, especially on the long minute races,30 minutes, i donot change anything,an other racing game...

earlier i was play rbr too much, i think the ffb was too high but when met with fc; i love my g25 more much..it shows the greatness of the wheel...when you lock up the front tires,the wheel start lighter, amazing..

you have too feel it...

@dzidza: beacuse of these reports when I bought the G25 I immediately chose FF Strengh "High". It is the most realistic setting (you don't expect surely to drive a racecar, or even a gokart, on slicks and have a light wheel).

However, I recently tried "Medium" and I still don't find the slight deadzone to be a problem whatsoever. In the straights it helps me to give the car the slight corrections I need. While cornering, I also find it quite enjoyable and even realistic also, because having some "snaps" on the limit of grip is what happens in real life.

A long time ago I wrote that GT4 had this all wrong. If you took a LMP car to La Sarthe, you had a lot of trouble to keep the wheel straight on the Hunaudiéres, but it was smooth as butter cornering Mulsanne. In real life, it's the complete opposite that happens. If you watch any incar video (like Derek Bell's "incar 956"), you'll see him having no troubles holding the wheel (very steady) in the long straight, and then you'll see him having to almost fight the wheel in the corners, because the front tyres go like this on their limit: "grip-no grip-grip-no grip-grip-no grip".

Overall, maybe one of the best accomplished features in FC is how the wheel behaves and how it gives you the feel that you're really driving a near 1000 kg race car fitted with slick tyres.

But to each his own. In the GT5P forum (in Biggles thread) some are saying they feel the wheel "detached" in FC, and "attached" in GT5P ... I simply can't understand that, guess we all have a diifferent way of feeling things. And I'm ok with that, I won't even argue, all I can say is what I feel.

Yeah, I'm still really uncertain about whether non N.A. users have the same dead zone as we had before the last patch, the same as after the patch, or somewhere in between.

All I can say, is that the FFB for N.A. players is excellent now & as Hun says, much more lively feeling than in GT5P.

minutes ago we have great races with mekanaizer...

espesiaaly on the first race we pass the racing line together...we have five races including spa( 2 times ),monza misano and mugello...not having fun for a long time like that...
energiya i add you when i open my ps3...see you on tracks guys...

It was fantastic, specially the first race, one word for it: WOW. :)
You are right Hozes FC is very (lots of) fun online.

Amazing battles today Biggles, A lot off bumber to bumber racing. That last race was close at the end, only 0.06 between us at the line.
Pitty it was only us two for most of the races, Holy-sword did join for 2 or 3 races.

C U again on track soon.

I'm renting the game before I decide to buy it outright. I was excited about one aspect of the online, but very disappointed about another. First, the great news....PRIVATE ROOM with full functionality! 16 private players or a few slots for public racers. Now, the bad. The other night, nobody was on what so ever :(

I need to spend more time in the game before I race with you guys. The physics is very different from GT5P and it takes getting used to. Track knowledge is critical. Probably more so than physics.

Good racing E. However, although we were very close on some tracks like Infineon & Tremblant, there were some tracks, like California, where you were clearly faster than me & others, like Vallelunga, where I was clearly faster than you. Interesting. The main point though, is that because it's possible to race so many tracks one after another, the events are more varied & interesting than a certain other game.

Now, the bad. The other night, nobody was on what so ever

Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to find many, or even any, people online. There are many more people online from EU than from N.A., which is why I'm trying to get more GTP participation from the U.S. GTPers. The more time you spend with FC, the more you will come to understand & appreciate its physics.

I was just wondering how popular online racing is on this game. I just bought it and haven't got that far through it (addicted to GT5P). But I think it would be quite good online because it has got private rooms.

I was just wondering how popular online racing is on this game. I just bought it and haven't got that far through it (addicted to GT5P). But I think it would be quite good online because it has got private rooms.

Are you MAD!? :D Plenty of discussion of this. There are far fewer people playing this game than GT5P, however, IMO it is the most fun PS3 online racing game at the minute (albeit with a significant frame-rate/lag issue), because of the private rooms & extensive track selection.

Please join the GTP FC league & ladder - lots of online racing to be done! 👍

Not as many as GT5P, but certainly as much fun to play. Unfortunately, there are still the problems of punters, but overall, the private rooms, more varied tracks and better online options make up for this.
Get it anyway, and while you're at it, make sure you have a copy of F1:CE ;) These 3 games are definitely the best racing games on the PS3 by a mile.

Anyway, i think in this case the smaller community can be better, because we can pinpoint the odd idiots easier and single them out and also get to know the people who we race with regularly and build a good racing attitude.

I have definitely come to appreciate the physics in the game and i'm loving it online and offline.

Thanks for welcome. Is it okay if I add you on PSN so we can arrange races?

Hey Guys, I got FC when it came out played it a bit eeehhh, shelved it for a while. After seeing all the threads about FC it stirred my interest,and ticked me off a bit. You see when I first tried it really was'nt into it enough to get past the "feeling out" process of a new racing game. I use a DFGT and at first the cars were REALLY hard to control, the brakes were wild steering all over the place. Well I saw how others were really doing good at it,so I thru it back in put on some coffee and got to work. I'm not going to say I'm ready to race online with you guys YET,but I have had some limited sucess this week. It is starting to come together. I have even won 4 trophys, after I get more comfy with the new tracks, most I have never raced on before. I will be on racing with ya.:)

Update make that 7 Trophys now,including Hot Shot 75% tuturial, pole pos in Italian

Last edited:
add me for definite. and hurry and get online vdub you can add me i find alot of the time i am wanting people to race! Quite a few times now people are just disco'ing when they drop behind!

just got this yesterday and went online without playing the career thing( bad mistake).
My online play is all over but it makes a big change from GT and will be playing this mostly now so see any of you online.

Hey i saw you online i noticed you were a bit slow so it was obvious you had just got it, good to see someone from the UK! Keep at it and you will improve quicker than you think! I'll add you as a friend on PSN if that's ok.

Hey i saw you online i noticed you were a bit slow so it was obvious you had just got it, good to see someone from the UK! Keep at it and you will improve quicker than you think! I'll add you as a friend on PSN if that's ok.

Feel free to add me as well PSN GTP_DaddyVDUB

I have done a little online mayby I'll start doing more a little at a time.

Seems like some people are still picking this game up then. Anyone new to FC and unsure about it i would say stick at it, learn the tracks, learn the car physics and the game really comes into its own.

Seems like some people are still picking this game up then. Anyone new to FC and unsure about it i would say stick at it, learn the tracks, learn the car physics and the game really comes into its own.

That is very true,happened for me. However the online is somewhat weird at times. Seems that when 2 cars are close the lag is bothersome and the sound gets a little funky. Is this just an isolated thing or fairly normal?

Yea the online is pretty poor for lag, it sometimes jumps as you say and the cars seem to be over revving. The guys in charge of the game say their working on a soultion but its not a quick fix. You just learn to ignore it.

Latest Posts

Back