Playstation 2 Memory Card format?

• Thread starter rjensen11
  • 14 comments
I saw a USB pen drive that could be plugged into the Playstation 2's USB ports, and they claim it would work like a memory card. Now, I have several USB pen drives at home, and I definately wouldn't mind converting one of my 64MB ones to whatever format memory cards use if I can store my files on them (Even if I have to save onto the memory card, if I can transfer the files over from the browser, it would be worth it.) I know you can copy files from the memory card onto the computer with the proper hardware, so the computer has to be able to read the data and write to it. The two questions parts to my situation are this, then:
1) What format do the memory cards use? Is it a standard filesystem format, like ext2, ext3, reiserfs, fat16, fat32, ntfs, jfs, xfs, etc?

2) Assuming I get the pen drive to the proper file system (Same as the memory cards, I assume), would the PS2's browser see it when I pop it into one of its usb ports?

doesn't work like that. What you do is run a special cd with the feature on it (the new Action Replay Max for example). The cd allows you to copy between the MC and the USB key. The PS2 itself won't use the usb ports as mem card devices.

There are other options available as well if you have a mod chip and a network card. Using the combination, you can transfer data using your desktop rather than a usb key. I haven't gotten it to work yet :(

emad
doesn't work like that. What you do is run a special cd with the feature on it (the new Action Replay Max for example). The cd allows you to copy between the MC and the USB key. The PS2 itself won't use the usb ports as mem card devices.

There are other options available as well if you have a mod chip and a network card. Using the combination, you can transfer data using your desktop rather than a usb key. I haven't gotten it to work yet :(

Bugger. Oh well, since I didn't spend any extra money on it, I'll just keep on using my USB key strictly for the computer, like for getting files from Linux to XP, since XP doesn't like any Linux filesystem formats, let alone ReiserFS (the best, imho)

Not too big an issue. Linux doesn't mind writing to NTFS...there's an app to do it but i forget the name

Linux doesn't mind writing to almost anything, and will work with Windows fine, it's Windows with the problem, it is as if they programmed windows to be completely uncompatible with other OS's.

really just get a card reader then get a compact flash or similar card, works just as good, and can be sued in other devices, plus you can have multipl cards for een more portible memory

Car_Guy
really just get a card reader then get a compact flash or similar card, works just as good, and can be sued in other devices, plus you can have multipl cards for een more portible memory

Holy shiznit! You can use a Compact Flash Card reader for the PS2 Memory card? Hell, I have one of those laying around for one of my cameras, since XP didn't like the combination of a digital camera with a 64/128MB (forgot which) card hooked up via USB! Hell, I'll hook that up to my Linux box, and then I'll be off! Good thing I compiled my kernel with all of those extra file-system formats as modules, might come in handy!

As for Linux-Windows interoperabilitywhatever:

Linux is cool with Fat16/Fat32 (Commonly known to us Linux users as vfat, since our support for them is lumped into one driver). The problem we have is with writing to NTFS. There are some kernel hacks that let you write to NTFS,but I don't want to mess with those. I've got a program for XP called rfstool that lets you read reiserfs (a file system format, like Fat32 or NTFS) from Windows, but won't let you write. The downside for the reading is that everything gets piped through the specific user's temp folder, meaning that if you don't have any space on C:\, you can't read the file, even if you want to copy the file from the linux partition to another partition like D:\ because the tool requires that the entire file be copied over to C:\ before you can do anything else with it, like move it to another partition. Fortunately for me, having 2 80GB hard drives for Windows and 1 40GB hard drive for Linux gives me just about all the space I need, although I wouldn't mind swapping one of the 80's with the 40, but the family would never go for that, and I'm not even using 6GB for my Linux hard drive (And I have the Unreal Tourny 2004 demo installed, I know! I love Linux!)

Anywho, like you guys said, the problem isn't really Linux, but how Microsoft wants to keep everything within their hands, and I understand their stance. It's just that, I find it weird that even Apple has their computers format floppies as Fat32. I could format my floppies to other formats, but I guess that would limit where I could use them....

rjensen11
Holy shiznit! You can use a Compact Flash Card reader for the PS2 Memory card? Hell, I have one of those laying around for one of my cameras, since XP didn't like the combination of a digital camera with a 64/128MB (forgot which) card hooked up via USB! Hell, I'll hook that up to my Linux box, and then I'll be off! Good thing I compiled my kernel with all of those extra file-system formats as modules, might come in handy!
no, you can't. The only way you can use a CF card on your ps2 is if you have some sort of adapter that converts from CF to the ps2's MagicGate Memory Card port.

emad
no, you can't. The only way you can use a CF card on your ps2 is if you have some sort of adapter that converts from CF to the ps2's MagicGate Memory Card port.

Is there actually such a thing? Or is this just a pipe-dream?

I'm not 100% sure if it's a pipe dream or not. I remember having seen something like this a very long time ago but it may have been something else.

For anyone reading this in the future, Linux can now use ntfs-3g to write to NTFS, and it's included with most distributions. You'll want to set up your /etc/fstab correctly, though, the options you're looking for are shown here:

Code:
UUID=03F63B7C339646A9	/media/Data	ntfs-3g	defaults,noatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,x-gvfs-show,exec,errors=remount-ro,nofail	0	0

Left to right: UUID= this identifies a partition by its unique partition identifier. So it will always know where the partition is even if things got moved / drives swapped etc. To find the UUID, run lsblk -o +uuid,name from the terminal.

/media/Data this is the mount point, or empty folder where the drive will get mounted to. Your primary linux partition is mounted to / and here we are sticking the Windows (ok, well this is my Data partition) into /media/Data -- Linux is case sensitive so bear that in mind, and also that some linux distros like to use /mnt instead of /media - wherever it is, you just need an empty folder with the name you'll be using.

ntfs-3g the type of filesystem driver you want to use eg if this was a standard Linux partition it would be using ext4 for the ext4 driver

defaults use some default options as a starting point before customizing further. Those are rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async. HOWEVER, this might be different depending on the fs type (eg we are using NTFS here) so we want to explicitly name the options further to be sure they are set correctly in our case.

noatime do not keep track of the time files were last accessed (so you don't have to waste disk I/O and processing time with the last time a file was viewed, as you can imagine this gets pretty annoying from an overhead standpoint by continually writing to the disk every time a file is accessed for reading)

uid=1000,gid=1000 this is a key setting for NTFS, userid and groupid set to 1000 which will treat all NTFS files as if the user has permissions for them, because Linux filesystem permissions don't directly translate to NTFS access permissions so we have to set a default to give access (why most NTFS mounts fail to be able to write, right here)

utf8 set encoding to utf8

x-gvfs-show not necessary but should set your new NTFS mount to be shown on the left pane in some file managers which can be handy

exec allow files to be executed on this partition (if you're planning on running programs from it in Linux)

errors=remount-ro if there's problems or the fs is dirty, try to mount it as read-only so at least you can still read until the problem is fixed

nofail if the filesystem fails to mount don't stop the boot because of it

0 used for some dump (backup) utilities. 1 means it gets backed up, 0 means it's excluded

0 do not run fsck (filesystem check) on the partition. As fsck can't handle most of ntfs checking and repair, there's other utilities for it. 1 would mean check it first (which should only be set on your root / partition) and 2 means run these ones after root gets checked.

Back