Qualify/race grip levels

United States
United States
Is it just me or does the grip levels seen different from qualifying to racing in the sport mode races. To me it feels like the car grips better in qualifying than the races. Noticed it yesterday and again today on the N300 daily race. Didn't pay attention if you qual on different tires or not

Yep, same feeling. I post in bug and other guys noticed that too.
Also seems that some changes in engine torque, in race I'm hitting too much the top when down gearing, dunno why

gh3
Yep, same feeling. I post in bug and other guys noticed that too.
Also seems that some changes in engine torque, in race I'm hitting too much the top when down gearing, dunno why
Good to know I'm not the on only one. I qual with a 46 something and can't run faster than maybe high 49 in race, and find myself having to slow down more in the corners that I normal run with minimal lift

Wow, seriously? Varying grip levels between game modes was a problem that existed back in GT5, and it's still like that. What a shame.

It's not uncommon for qualifying pace and race pace to differ. Usually due to qualifying setup; if that's the case then PD needs to specifically say so.

That being said, with my DS4, I put my 458 into 6th with a 1:56.110 on Dragon Trail Gr. 4 race, and even with a perfect last lap that put me into a third place finish, I couldn't get below 1:57.

Wow, seriously? Varying grip levels between game modes was a problem that existed back in GT5, and it's still like that. What a shame.

I remember that... Online had a different physics model or some such for no apparent reason. I don't think the difference in GTS is nearly as bad of an offender, but I noticed this in the beta as well.

Yes, I've noticed that, but for me it was the other way around. While qualifying for the new Grp. 4 race (Dragon Tail) in the 458 Italia, in the first section I had to start braking at the 150 meter mark, but in the actual race, it felt like I had way better grip, and I could wait until the 100 meter mark and a bit more to brake, without flying off the track in the curve. So yes, something is definitely going on.

A lot less gripier for me... seems to be going either way i guess. I didn't notice it until the new daily races
I'm at least 3 seconds slower in the race. All by myself with no cars around can you explain the grip difference. It was just like a qual lap. Why is there less grip with no cars around. I see less grip with cars around cuz of the draft

Last edited:
I'm at least 3 seconds slower in the race. All by myself with no cats around can you explain the grip difference. It was just like a qual lap. Why is there less grip with no cars around. I see less grip with cats around cuz of the draft
Yep, exactly the same for me... what makes it even worse is that they're running into the back of my car messing up my safety rating!

Thanks for posting this, I thought I was losing my mind last night.

I ran 4 races last night in the Evo. In two of the races, I started 1st or second and finished there. In the other two, I plummeted back through the field, and even all alone in last ran almost 4 seconds slower than my qualifying time. It unsettled me so badly I'm not sure I feel like running tonight. I don't want to screw up my ratings needlessly.

For what it's worth, I'm running a wired connection and a cable modem.

Thanks for posting this, I thought I was losing my mind last night.

I ran 4 races last night in the Evo. In two of the races, I started 1st or second and finished there. In the other two, I plummeted back through the field, and even all alone in last ran almost 4 seconds slower than my qualifying time. It unsettled me so badly I'm not sure I feel like running tonight. I don't want to screw up my ratings needlessly.

For what it's worth, I'm running a wired connection and a cable modem.
I thought the same thing, that's why I tested it again today

Unsettled is a great word for it. I felt like my car had a half ton in the trunk. Did three races and finished way behind everyone else...like half a lap. It was like a nightmare. I checked the car settings during qualifying and then during the race. On paper they were the same. Very strange. Seems to only effect one or two people during a race. Braking, steering, shifting all different from qualifying.

The race is a different time of day, therefore the track is a different temperature. That explains the difference in grip.

True, but is the game actually modeling the affect of a track's tempurature on the tires? If so, that's an impressive detail.

The race is a different time of day, therefore the track is a different temperature. That explains the difference in grip.
That would be an excellent game detail, but the point is the effect is far more profound and most cars are not effected. It doesn't even happen in every race as stated by superwally.

From what I have found is everytime I have a higher DR rating than the competition it seems to impact. If the DR is the same then it is no issue, if i have a lower DR other people seem to go way too slow.

From what I have found is everytime I have a higher DR rating than the competition it seems to impact. If the DR is the same then it is no issue, if i have a lower DR other people seem to go way too slow.

Interesting... PD's sneaky way to try and level the grid?

And here I thought I was crazy. xD

Yeah, it's most noticeable for me with the Lancer daily race, at Kyoto. My qualify times were up to par, about 3rd-6th, but my race times are horrible, even spun out a few times during the race.

Saw the same thing here. Did a group 4 race with the Viper. Qualified with a 1:48.2, couldn't get anywhere close to that in the race. Took the same lines, braking points etc. The competition did 1:49's in qualifying and I demolished them like they were standing still. Their best laps were in the 1:51's while mine were 1:49's! WEIRD!

I can't say I've noticed this myself but I haven't done the N300 race much this last day or two.

However, from the "real world" its usually the case that qualifying laps are faster than race laps (at least the early race laps). Track Temp could be one reason, but also fuel burn (engine modes and how much fuel is being carried), fresh tires and "green" track.

I have no idea what PD has modeled in GTS but I can imagine they've set a default Quali mode where the engine is running at max engine power and with only 2 laps worth of fuel weight simulated each time compared to 5 laps of fuel for a 4 lap race and possibly a lower engine mode. If it is something like that you'd hope it was documented somewhere on a configuration screen.

All that would make sense if everyone was impacted, but most of the time it is only 3-4 drivers who are clearly struggling.

All I can say is thank God I'm not the only one. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. The difference isn't even subtle either. It's rather blatent. Wow. Hope PD fixes this asap.

Back