SCCA Trans Am Series (Muscle Cars) - Revived and New Hosts

• Thread starter Slash
  • 133 comments
was just thinking that we could kind of split the season in regards to ABS. Maybe partake in 1/4 season with no ABS (that way people start to get used to it), then revisit the subject at that time. without ABS, the cars are more "of the day" and that, IMO, is the reason we are all here...to race nostalgic cars around some incredible tracks.

As far as tire compound, if we want to factor in tire longevity and traction, i think we should be able to do something for both premium and stardard vehicles. my thoughts are that for the shorter races, premium vehicles have a choice between racing hard/med. while standard vehicles have a choice from racing med./soft. While typing this, i question as to why we dont have these options available. it will allow racers to choose their compounds if regards to their driving style.

At least get a few more practice sessions in before we consider throwing out the 'no abs'.

I'm looking forward to Daytona Road Course, turn 1. 180+ mph, off the banking into the flats while turning and braking without abs... That is going to be frick'n sweet! It's going to be "OOOHHHH SSSHHHHIIII.........." moment every time.

Hards/mediums for premium cars & medium/softs for the rest I think is a great idea. Gives it a little more strategy. Especially in the closing laps.

I do know without ABS, the track becomes a whole different animal. Me and Skel had to relearn the corkscrew all over again without abs. IT def gives you more of a feel for the track. Can see a difference when the car is loaded (high g positive g force) or unloading (neg- g force) while driving and trying to use brakes.

Yup, tonights races were VERY difficult without ABS, but very enjoyable. Counter-steering a '71 Cuda around the corners and just barely holding on to the position is an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I liked it. Oh, yea...pulling away from Skel's Chally while he was trying to draft me at Sarthe was simply epic. :D

Although I'm still kinda sloppy with the Cuda, but it felt like Race Mediums on it vs. the race hards on the Z28's made them pretty equal in the short races. Not sure what it's gonna do for longer laps, but they definitely worked well tonight. I also think the Mach 1 is over-powered at the current regulations. I would suggest tuning it down to 460hp as well...maybe even 450hp. It seems a pretty even match for the Z28 at matching specs.

One more thing, we also tested several cars against each other 520PP with premium/hards and standard/mediums. It seemed to match pretty well with less confusion while setting up. Something to consider.

Good to hear from ya Kal, hope we can get you at the controllers again sometime soon.

Sorry guys won't be able to make the races this weekend. Barret-Jackson today and tomorrow and the Dana Point Concourse de legance Sunday celebrating the "Legends of Le Mans." Should be a fun and interesting weekend.

I didn't think Deep Forest was that bad with out abs. Most turns don't require heavy braking. Compared to Laguna.

I agree the Mach 1 is over powered and a better job should be done about equalizing the cars. The current regs are set up pretty close to real life as far as HP & KG, but the big block 427 in the Ford gives it a huge torque advantage.

I don't mind if one car is a little better then the other, but I think the gap is too much.

I'll come join you torres, soon as my PS3 is finished updating it's deal. Looks like it's taking it's time.

I agree GTMail. I was a little surprised how fun they were. I later busted out a '63 Alfa Speciale. I think I was more in love with how odd it looked then how well it performed.

What should we do about both classes? It doesn't look like we currently have enough people to run both at the same time. Maybe we could do both classes at the same time seperately... Does that make sense? lol. Run "B" sedan race then right after that, run the "A" sedans on the same track.

Yeah like we did with the "B" class muscle cars last season. I'm planning on testing both cars throughout the day today as the engines need to be worn in. If anyone wants to run some laps just send me a FR at cahilldomination.

Although we don't yet have as much participation as I'd hoped, I'm enjoying what we done so far, and honestly, my summertime family responsibilities would have kept me from being able to attend anything that had been set to a weekly schedule so far. It's seems we are slowly gaining members along with new ideas and improved regulations. I'm happy to keep going at this pace for a little longer, meeting up by announcing practice sessions in here is working well for now.

I should be on tonight, actually, and the cars mentioned above have sparked my interest. :D

I'll be around later this evening. If you're still around GTMail, I'll come join you, or anyone else on here that is up for some laps.

The game is over 1-1/2 years old, and the old classics have never been huge in popularity. I'm not holding my breath for a ton of people. Few more would be nice though.

On a side note, anyone going to purchase the new DLC track? Looks like there's a few variations of the tack which might be cool. I haven't bought any DLC for GT5 yet, but this one I'm actually considering. I just wish it didn't include another crappy car which looks exactly like another crappy car they gave us a while back. Would it kill PD to have an American car for DLC? I guess I should be happy it's not another GT-R..... But I digress.

I've allready downloaded the latest DLC. I always get PS Store cards as gifts, (Bday, Xmas), so it really is a no-brainer to purchase any DLC on a game that I often use. I can show you the track, and you can "watch" people race it, but you can not actually take a car on the track unless you've purchased it.

Oh yea, the new car DLC is separately downloaded, you don't have to get it.

Last edited:
Fun running B sedan with you guys yesterday.
Skel: I was thinking that for the class races, maybe do a mix of classes, as in, host a B sedan race once a month as our scheduled season is pretty long as is. I was thinking we should use some of the shorter/tighter tracks (maybe difficult for A). It doesn't need to be a strict every 3 weeks or so, we could do something along the lines of a random class draw for each week or something.

I should hopefully be on later this evening depending on when I start watching the Spain v Portugal match.

Also as a little footnote, if anyone sees a Nissan fairlady spl in their ucd, please buy it and gift it as I have been looking for a while. Willing to gift whatever.

I'll give you a free one Torres. Just send me a FR at the PSN I posted above.

Had a good time racing with torres and skel. We should do more testing in the group B class. We found out some cars perform a lot better than others at 395pp. For example, the 2002 performs at about the same level as Skel's "special" Alfa Speciale(390pp) at about 405pp.

That Speciale is quite the special car. Although I can’t tell if it’s a 2 seater or a 4 seater? It looks like it is a 2 seater, which would put it in more of a “sports car” category than a “sedan”. Although, if I can’t race this car, I will just die.

Next time I’ll give the 2002 & maybe few other cars a try and see what I come up with.

I didn't think Deep Forest was that bad with out abs. Most turns don't require heavy braking. Compared to Laguna.

I agree the Mach 1 is over powered and a better job should be done about equalizing the cars. The current regs are set up pretty close to real life as far as HP & KG, but the big block 427 in the Ford gives it a huge torque advantage.

I don't mind if one car is a little better then the other, but I think the gap is too much.

The Mach 1 has a small block 351 Cleveland. 427 didn't exist past 1968.

That Speciale is quite the special car. Although I can’t tell if it’s a 2 seater or a 4 seater? It looks like it is a 2 seater, which would put it in more of a “sports car” category than a “sedan”. Although, if I can’t race this car, I will just die.

Next time I’ll give the 2002 & maybe few other cars a try and see what I come up with.

Good to see you guys ran some practice races while I was away. Hopefully things will get going soon.

The Mach 1 has a small block 351 Cleveland. 427 didn't exist past 1968.

Oops, I read it's specs wrong. I thought it said 6.xx liters in the game.

I ran the Mach 1 at Indy Road Course, and it was 2+ seconds/lap faster then anything. And at tighter tracks like Deep Forest & laguna, it was about 1 second/lap faster. Seems a little too mis-matched to me.

Hope your vacation went well, and glad you made it back.

Oops, I read it's specs wrong. I thought it said 6.xx liters in the game.

I ran the Mach 1 at Indy Road Course, and it was 2+ seconds/lap faster then anything. And at tighter tracks like Deep Forest & laguna, it was about 1 second/lap faster. Seems a little too mis-matched to me.

Hope your vacation went well, and glad you made it back.

Nope. IRL the max amount of displacement allowed was 305 cubic inches or 5.0 liters. Ford actually has built engines that go above 7.5L, aka the Ford 460. Mega torque monster and can be built IRL to over 13.1L and 3500 horspower on a stock block. Go SVO High Output and MY GOD

It was great, thanks.

Also, I read that laps were similar to endurances, like 40+ laps each track :scared:

Looking to get this season underway soon.

Weekdays are best for me. Weekends I'm all over the place and can't commit to them.

This is going to be the hardest part of the whole thing. Getting a day and time where everyone can be here.

GTP: DavidtheGT20
PSN: davidthegreat20
What car: Anything Dodge, Chevy, and most definitely Ford.
Timezone: Cst
Your hours online: depends on how long my brother plays, I play most of the time
Team you wish to be with: TEAM HYDRO!

Back