Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
I think the deformation might come from the rough NTSC to PAL conversion. Just like in the old GT1 trailers from PS demo discs.

Ntsc/pal is only a framerate standard. There is no conversion of any kind. Especially on 3d models.
It looks like that early model lacks the detail on the front end, the indents in the bumper mainly.

Pal had a higher vertical resolution, that's why. It doesn't influence how a 3d mesh is made besides stretching it vertically a little if the aspect ratio isn't properly handled.

So we got a bigger look on the CLK-GTR from the Japanese The PlayStation magazine's memory card sticker set... somewhere else (Edge #68):
3.jpg

4.jpg

Merged, it looks like this:
upload_2020-9-10_23-0-29.png

Seems like an unfinished version of the car we see on Tahiti.
The mirrors look oddly too detailed but it's a decent way to check the mesh, i'll have to save this one day.

This isn't really hidden, but something that I found interesting. I decided to load up GT2 again to finish up my career mode, since I only got the manufacturer races left. As I was scrolling through what I have left, I saw that the Mini Cooper race graphic is an actual photo and not in-game like the others. Not sure if there are other events that use real pictures, but that one surprised me.

So, here's the list of manufacturer events with real pictures used in the race graphics:

• 106 Challenge
  • Mini Challenge
Interesting that they don't have the in-game shots like the others.

I should note that all the other images are pc renders, not actual game screencaps, if that wast obvious. Which is why there are 7 Vipers on the event screen.

Another Manufacturer Race oddity, the Daihatsu Mira race black background is a tiny bit offset. Don't know if it's my E-word or if it's actually like that.

Thats a ton of footage. Hoe do you find these videos :)
Does anybody recognise the track at 2:57 with red background? Is it Red Rock or Indy or what?

Last edited:
upload_2021-1-8_17-8-9.png

1:25 - proof of Mercedes-Benz having a Special dealership. That means at the time of making this trailer, the CLK Race Car was still not cut from the game.

Thats a ton of footage. Hoe do you find these videos :)
Does anybody recognise the track at 2:57 with red background? Is it Red Rock or Indy or what?
There's a guy I follow on twitter that retweeted that video. He also likes to mess around with Gran Turismo 2 a lot.

Yeah, I found the video while searching for Gran Turismo 2 obscure stuff a week ago. There are several interesting clips like a race button for the Vector and Ruf dealerships and the Lexus dealership in South City.

A while back, Overload_35 found that one of the license fragment tracks actually loops to the starting line behind the tire walls, but Overload deleted his videos. Which is it again? I suspect it is L_S-corner2 but I don't really remember without the video at hand.

EDIT: The video does say "L_Check" but I don't think it was a valid track name.

Last edited:
I always did wonder if the license routes in GT2 actually ever connected and made a bigger circuit. That's neat to know now.

If track editing is ever figured out, it might make for a fun custom track to be added.

One of the things I really find odd from that build is that there's a 1998 Mustang featured in it. Yet the model is nowhere to be found in any of the GT2 demo discs we can play. The 1999 Mustangs are there, but not the 1998 ones.

Latest Posts

Back