Statistical anomalies in motorsports.

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 321 comments
If a double means that they also won the constructors, then nope. Keke Rosberg took the 1982 drivers' title in a Williams but the constructors' title went to Ferrari.
Ugh, late night posting. Misread 1986 as 1982.

Last edited:
Team Kuminitsu Drivers won the Super GT GT500 Championship last year at the final round after the Championship Leader suffered an unforeseen circumstance.

That's how they lost the Championship this year albeit a different circumstance.
What was the unforseen circumstance, because that seems a bit of a vague statement?

What was the unforseen circumstance, because that seems a bit of a vague statement?
While different circumstances, 2020 the championship leader ran out of fuel on the final straight allowing Kuminitsu to take the title winning the race

For 2021 where Kuminitsu were the championship leaders. The car was involved in an accident with the ARTA GT300 car with 19 Laps to go which cost them the title to the race winners.

Ugh

I've just read a stat that says next season Abu Dhabi will tie with Adelaide as the most visited F1 season finale circuit.

This circuit redesign better work because it's always produced unexciting racing.

Ugh

I've just read a stat that says next season Abu Dhabi will tie with Adelaide as the most visited F1 season finale circuit.

This circuit redesign better work because it's always produced unexciting racing.
I'm not looking forward to Abu Dhabi either, Jim, even with the added bonus of a title fight.

Ugh

Adelaide being off the calendar 26 years is a good record-holding streak.

In the entirety of the 1990s, that is to say 1990-99, only three races did not feature a Williams, McLaren nor Ferrari on the podium:

1990 Japanese Grand Prix
Piquet (Benetton), Moreno (Benetton), Suzuki (Larrousse)

1998 Belgian Grand Prix
Hill (Jordan), R Schumacher (Jordan), Alesi (Sauber)

1999 European Grand Prix
Herbert (Stewart), Trulli (Prost), Barrichello (Stewart)

Last edited:
With KMag coming back to HAAS in 2022, every team has a driver that finished on the podium beforehand, which might actually be a first.

With KMag coming back to HAAS in 2022, every team has a driver that finished on the podium beforehand, which might actually be a first.
Good fact. 2009 was close but Toro Rosso (Bourdais/Alguesuari and Buemi) had no podiums between them. The other nine teams did.

Lewis Hamilton has not had a winless season in Formula One.

Edit: With that said, he (14) still needs two more victorious seasons in 2021 and 2022 to break Michael Schumacher's record (15) of consecutive seasons with at least one win.
Keep your eyes on this. Hamilton and Schumacher are equal on 15 consecutive seasons with a win.

Last edited:
Eric van de Poele won the 1987 DTM despite not winning any races and only finishing on the podium three times in ten races. He even had to drop one of his scores.

Note: the underlines indicate the championship leader after that event.

evdp.png

Last edited:
Eric van de Poele won the 1987 DTM despite not winning any races and only finishing on the podium three times in ten races. He even had to drop one of his scores.

Note: the underlines indicate the championship leader after that event.

View attachment 1183787
Volker Strycek won the first ever DTM championship with 0 wins and 5 podiums out of 15 races. Consistency was key.

It's hard to measure it accurately, but these guys probably rank pretty high in a hypothetical "champions with the least raw pace in their title-winning years" list along with the likes of Keke Rosberg and Alan Kulwicki.

...in fact, this guy never had a win. The only other driver I know of that has a title in a category and 0 career wins would be Oriol Servia in Indy Lights.

Last edited:
Volker Strycek won the first ever DTM championship with 0 wins and 5 podiums out of 15 races. Consistency was key.

It's hard to measure it accurately, but these guys probably rank pretty high in a hypothetical "champions with the least raw pace in their title-winning years" list along with the likes of Keke Rosberg and Alan Kulwicki.

...in fact, this guy never had a win. The only other driver I know of that has a title in a category and 0 career wins would be Oriol Servia in Indy Lights.
Jeff Uren, John Love and Alec Poole, winners of the British Saloon/Touring Car Title in 1959, 1962 and 1969, none of them ever securing an outright win so having to rely on class wins.

Just went to that wiki page. The win-it or bin-it award gets split between Harald Grohs and Manfred Trint for winning 4 races each and coming 3rd and 6th in the championship. Also, :eek: at the number of people who entered at least one race!!

Jeff Uren, John Love and Alec Poole, winners of the British Saloon/Touring Car Title in 1959, 1962 and 1969, none of them ever securing an outright win so having to rely on class wins.
Same for Chris Hodgetts in 1986 and 1987 but there is a clear nuance between class victories in an overall championship and having no wins in a single class championship, like the mentioned DTM. No wins at all.

Same for Chris Hodgetts in 1986 and 1987 but there is a clear nuance between class victories in an overall championship and having no wins in a single class championship, like the mentioned DTM. No wins at all.
Chris Hodgetts scored 3 outright wins, just not in the years he won the title

Lewis Hamilton has not had a winless season in Formula One.

Edit: With that said, he (14) still needs two more victorious seasons in 2021 and 2022 to break Michael Schumacher's record (15) of consecutive seasons with at least one win.
Hamilton has equalled Michael Schumacher's record of consecutive seasons with a win but has now failed to beat it.

He does have the record from a debut season though.

I don't remember if this was ever mentioned here before but I recently watched a video about the 2003 British Grand Prix and after doing some digging, might've stumbled across one of the strangest oddities I can remember: Every time a track invasion occured (During the race, not any other session as what happened with practice for the 2015 Chinese Grand Prix), a Ferrari manages to win it.

- 1989 Brazilian Grand Prix: Some crazy guy runs across the track. The Winner? Nigel Mansell (The very driver that said crazy guy ran directly in front of)

- 2000 German Grand Prix: A Disgruntled Mercedes employee crosses the track. The Winner? Rubens Barrichello.

- 2003 British Grand Prix: A Priest by the name of Cornelius Horan (who as it turns out, had a frequent habit of invading or trying to invade sports events with his Armageddon propaganda) runs onto the track with signs and all before being tackled by one of the track Marshalls. The Winner? Rubens Barrichello.

- 2004 Spanish Grand Prix: A Spanish resident who goes by the nickname "Jimmy Jump" (Yet another person who for some reason feels compelled to interupt sporting events, but this time claims to save the world from control of the media or something and last I read, is deep in debt due to the amount of fines he has for said invasions) Sprints down the front straight during the warm up lap before being taken off track and arrested. The Winner? Micheal Schumacher.

- 2015 Singapore Grand Prix: A random tourist is caught on camera just casually strolling on track like this is all normal before being caught and arrested. The winner? Sebastian Vettel.

- 2022 British Grand Prix: While the race is red flagged, protesters take to the track and sit, causing a delay. The Winner? Carlos Sainz Jr.

So yeah, "Track Invasions" and "Ferrari" have a rather suspicious habit of being seen together frequently.

Last edited:
I knew about Ferrari always winning but I didn't know about Spain and Brazil.
I kinda remember Spain as it was my actual first full year of watching F1 having only seen the inaugural Malaysian grand the year before (and its hard to forget some weirdo running on track with a red cap, much like how I imagine its hard to forget some crazed priest in THAT getup running directly towards cars with signs for some fans in 2003), but Brazil was completely new to me when I went digging around.

Last edited:
The Eurobrun F1 team's first and last classified finishes were 13th places that came in North American races (Mexico 1988, United States 1990) with South American drivers (Oscar Larrauri from Argentina, Roberto Moreno from Brazil) who had Italian team-mates who failed to pre-qualify for said races (Stefano Modena, Claudio Langes).

Roo
For the whole of the 1976 F1 World Championship, the race winning car had, on average, 4.125 wheels.
I love that stat. It's like when you realise the Vatican has 10.5 Popes/sq mile.

Jason Plato scoring 97 British Touring Car Championship race wins but only two titles in 2001 and 2010 despite finishing in the top 3 of the Driver's championship every year from 2006 to 2015.

Jason Plato scoring 97 British Touring Car Championship race wins but only two titles in 2001 and 2010 despite finishing in the top 3 of the Driver's championship every year from 2006 to 2015.
Craig Lowndes has a similar track record in ATCC/V8 Supercar history, largely thank's to being teamed with the most successful driver in championship history, Jamie Whincup.

Between 1996 & 2018, Lowndes scored 106 race wins, including 7 Bathurst 1000 victories giving him the best podium record in Bathurst history.

1996: claims the triple crown in his rookie year by taking out the championship, Sandown 500 & Bathurst 1000.
1997: Formula 3000 with RSM/Marko
1998: 1st
1999: 1st despite missing a Round following a roll-over at Calder & knee surgery.
2000: 3rd making it 2:1 over 3 years as teammate to 5-time champ, Mark Skaife.
2001-04: Four lean years after switching brands to Ford with results of 11th, 7th, 5th & 20th.
2005: Joins Triple Race Engineering after being signed by Roland Dane, and for the next twelve years will finish no lower than fourth in the championship standings, including six times as runner-up.
2017: 10th
2018: 4th including his final Bathurst 1000, 22 years after his first win.

This is just his ATCC/V8 Supercar career.

A remarkable career of success & duration that will take some beating from anywhere as competitive in the world.

Latest Posts

Back