The Autism Thread

He could have selective mutism
Partly, maybe. But I don't think he's shy or has any social anxieties. When he wants you to do something for him, he'll grab your hand and pull you towards the thing he wants you to do, without saying a single word. Any adult is okay for him, I don't think he's afraid of strangers. And when he can't get the message across, he'll get all grumpy.

Welll......

To some extent....

It is.... ;)
:lol: Indeed.

Partly, maybe. But I don't think he's shy or has any social anxieties. When he wants you to do something for him, he'll grab your hand and pull you towards the thing he wants you to do, without saying a single word. Any adult is okay for him, I don't think he's afraid of strangers. And when he can't get the message across, he'll get all grumpy.

:lol: Indeed.
;)

I read something the other day that fits extremely well with your first note: as an autistic, consistency and predictability are really huge, and younger people tend to be more unpredictable than adults. I know I work FAR better with adults than kids. So, it's good to help younger kids be aware that they need to be calmer and more willing to do one thing to help their new friend (and vice-versa) be more comfortable around them.

I also get get a facebook feed from an autistic website, and they put up a movie that is a bit odd, but shows how autistic people can act. It's called Mary and Max. It is an interesting movie. It's not R-rated, but it's NOT PG. Watch before letting ANY young children see it so you can be ready to explain what is going on!

Here is a free way to view it I found. It's really, really worth sharing. (After watching to make sure it is appropriate for the audience!):

http://ffilms.org/мэри-и-макс-2009/

Kenny, some people with a "lower" placement on the spectrum than Asperger's, etc., never talk.

Others know how to speak but simply choose not to most often. When I'm in a new place, I try to stay quiet to be seen as the "polite guy" who only answers questions asked of him.

There are also times when I speak quietly - for absolutely no reason - and people say that it's like I'm whispering.

For other people, on the low-functioning side of spectrum, there isn't conclusive evidence of why people don't talk much. Personally, I think people on the "lower functioning side" of the spectrum find it irrelevant to need to speak. Their minds are too busy figuring out how things work mechanically, or what causes cancer... And they don't have the time to think of words. I've had moments like that, and I'm on the "higher functioning side."

But, I think the whole lower/higher functioning thing is rubbish. Everyone's good at something... Some might not speak, and therefore can't prove their intelligence, but...

When I'm in a new place, I try to stay quiet to be seen as the "polite guy" who only answers questions asked of him.

There are also times when I speak quietly - for absolutely no reason - and people say that it's like I'm whispering.
Isn't that called being an introvert? Or is it a sign of autism? BTW, you just described me to a tee.
For other people, on the low-functioning side of spectrum, there isn't conclusive evidence of why people don't talk much. Personally, I think people on the "lower functioning side" of the spectrum find it irrelevant to need to speak. Their minds are too busy figuring out how things work mechanically, or what causes cancer... And they don't have the time to think of words. I've had moments like that, and I'm on the "higher functioning side."
That might be it.

Introverts are just shy people with a small, close group of friends. You can be polite when first encountering a new thing without being an introvert. I've got many friends, and an extrovert personality, but I'm still quiet as a mouse. A 6'4" tall mouse.

Introverts are just shy people with a small, close group of friends. You can be polite when first encountering a new thing without being an introvert. I've got many friends, and an extrovert personality, but I'm still quiet as a mouse. A 6'4" tall mouse.
lol idk anymore. :confused: I've heard people describe introverts as not being shy but just disliking social situations.

Or just more interested in getting to know ONE person instead of a group. My wife and I are that way. Meet us in a group, and you couldn't get our interest. Meet us one on one, and we will talk your ear off!

There may be some correlation between introversion and Autism, but I'm not convinced that they are one and the same. To me, they seem to be intertwined, but entirey different in some individuals.

I'm very glad you guys are being civil about the subject because, I too have Aspergers Syndrome/Autism. To be brutally honest, i'm not very happy with my condition because of how many people out there hate people that have this condition.

For example, there's a forum site called Kiwi Farms that while hate on some people who treat their special needs like a crutch, tend to hate on people with Autism/Aspergers as a whole more than anything else. Saying that the only thing the people who suffer from it are good for is giving them "The LOLZ" like some kind of performing bear in a circus.

I feel scared. Very scared. I feel that one day, I may be murdered for being autistic. And i'm scared my death will be at the hands of one of those on Kiwi Farms. I just wish to be left alone but I constantly get reminded wherever I go on the internet that I am some kind of freak. Comments on YouTube videos saying things like "The autism is strong with this one" or "This video gave me autism"

I don't want to be hated. I don't want people to judge me before they even know me. I just want to live my life peacefully.

I'm very glad you guys are being civil about the subject because, I too have Aspergers Syndrome/Autism. To be brutally honest, i'm not very happy with my condition because of how many people out there hate people that have this condition.

For example, there's a forum site called Kiwi Farms that while hate on some people who treat their special needs like a crutch, tend to hate on people with Autism/Aspergers as a whole more than anything else. Saying that the only thing the people who suffer from it are good for is giving them "The LOLZ" like some kind of performing bear in a circus.

I feel scared. Very scared. I feel that one day, I may be murdered for being autistic. And i'm scared my death will be at the hands of one of those on Kiwi Farms. I just wish to be left alone but I constantly get reminded wherever I go on the internet that I am some kind of freak. Comments on YouTube videos saying things like "The autism is strong with this one" or "This video gave me autism"

I don't want to be hated. I don't want people to judge me before they even know me. I just want to live my life peacefully.
Oh god. Isnt that site originated from Sonichu trolling :D I remember those.

Still terrible though. Look at the list of "lolcows" there.

I don't fear of being harmed for having Asperger's Syndrome, and comments like "retard" don't phase me as much as they used to. I think it will be a long time before people on the autism spectrum will receive better treatment from society.

The more people are educated, the less it will be feared and treated badly. I'm not suggesting going to a site that scares you, but there ARE options. My wife and I found out about a group that has education materials for autistic folks, and it's really an amazing thing to be part of. Here is their site: www.aspergerexperts.com

I have had such an amazing time with the people that are in the facebook group that they maintain! (You have to be invited, though, so go to the website and learn more about them.)

Hello. I am an Autistic/Asperger's Gran Turismo 5/6 "Driver" . Tough it is, being an Aspie. But totally rewarding at the same time.
Like I would do without the Epileptic like sensory overloads, Anger/Miserable Meltdowns, taking 50% longer to grow up, aka slow maturity. But I love my Visual Memory. Bobby Fischer like Focus Abilities. GPS Like Mental Map, I call it TERCOM, Terrain Contour Mapping Profile.

Also the one advice I can say is Aspies are like the Different Planets in our Solar System, not all orbit or rotate on Earth Time. Some are Faster, Venus, Mercury. Others are slow, Mars and outer planets. But they are all parts in the same Solar System. Each unique but in the same whole System of things.

Good to see you. I heard a quote recently: "When you meet one person with autism, you meet one person with autism."

Yep. We are all different. Be that good, bad, or indifferent. ;)

Without getting too much into the auty/aspy tribalism in here, what is generally the best way to approach dealing with kids with severe autism? I saw one at work the other day and when we had to examine him, it was like punting a beehive.

I have Autism. The only people I talk to on a regular basis are my family, and no one else. I'm always quite around people I don't know, or even my classmates. I prefer to work by myself on most things. I rarely ever cry, and have an extreme lack of empathy. Somebody could tell me that they lost their entire family and I probably wouldn’t even care. Though I do have a soft spot for homeless people and disabled people.

Without getting too much into the auty/aspy tribalism in here, what is generally the best way to approach dealing with kids with severe autism? I saw one at work the other day and when we had to examine him, it was like punting a beehive.
Well, the approach differs from person to person. Just try speaking very, very softly to them and leading them on gently.

Nope. I don't think you and I have the same idea of what Autism is.

What does examining mean in this context? If you're a doctor (that was my first impression) you could always tie the brat onto the table and get things done with minimal injuries. :dopey:

But as has been said before in this thread, autistic folks are individuals by definition. Sounds like you got a particularly restless case there - meanwhile I was Mr. Calm and Collected in any appointments I had. :D Except for the ones where the process hurt, of course.

Severe autism is something on a different level to the people here as I am sure you know well. However treat them calmly and try to always portray yourself as their friend or someone who wants to be their friend. That should help.

As for anything else, ask the parents. There will be things that set off explosive behaviour that they will know of.

What does examining mean in this context? If you're a doctor (that was my first impression) you could always tie the brat onto the table and get things done with minimal injuries. :dopey:

But as has been said before in this thread, autistic folks are individuals by definition. Sounds like you got a particularly restless case there - meanwhile I was Mr. Calm and Collected in any appointments I had. :D Except for the ones where the process hurt, of course.

I work with doctors in pediatric emergency rooms. Lots of times we see autistic kids that are too much for their parents to handle.

Yes, that happens. There are some times when a child with autism just can't handle what is going on. And it can actually be a tremendously small thing that sets it off.

The results, at best, can be fairly mild. But there are times when they aren't.

At.

All.

I found out about these people a while back:

https://www.aspergerexperts.com/learn/

I purchased their defense mode series. It's a MASSIVE eye-opener!!!!!!!!!

But, I was also allowed into their locked private Facebook lobby. I have read things in there that made me mourn so completely. It is so sad to hear the struggles of good people who don't even realize they made a mistake until their child is completely destroying the house. It really does happen. And sometimes pictures are posted.....

The main thing is to find the root cause, then get them into a safe place with minimal sensory inputs. For each of the five senses. When they feel safe, they will begin to calm down. But not a MOMENT earlier.

If you try to tell a person who is having an autistic meltdown to calm down and be reasonable, you may as well be looked at as trying to run them through with a chainsaw. And they can (not always, but can) respond in fear (and then because they already can't control their emotions well), in anger and violence.

This is no mild thing. Autistic people don't feel safe or comfortable with anything more often than not. Allow them freedom and show them that nothing is attacking them.

But most of all, listen to the defense mode series. It's about the best information you can ever have. And the biggest reason is because the people who are telling about it HAVE autism and say quite clearly, "This works for me, and it may work for you."

Good luck. Learn and prepare, and you have a better chance.

Enjoy! As much as you can.

Back