The first game you ever played? On What System? How Old Were You?

• Thread starter Pyle_PMG
  • 56 comments

Pyle_PMG

A Real Homer
Premium
Canada
Canada
Thread title is pretty well self-explanatory. The first game I played was Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. I was 3 when I played it. Meaning I first played videogames in 1998. I wasn't good at them until I was 7 though :lol:.

Woah, take me back to old Virginia (Stir Crazy).

The first game/title was a pong type of game. I played it over a friends house.

It also had a motorbike game which involved jumping buses.

The controllers just had a dial to turn for throttle. Or left for up, right for down (Pong).

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

My first console was intellivision I think. A poor mans Atari 2600.

Collecovision was the high end console at that time lol.

Also had a space invader/Calculator digital watch too.

Now you've started me.

Edited to add.

Astro wars, the ultimate portable arcade. You can take your DS and PS Rita's and shove em.

Astro wars was King. 5 levels if I remember.

Had to ask Santa for an AC adapter though, it was heavy on juice.

The first I can remember are Alex the Kid (Master System - built in game) and Wonder boy, I also remember mario on the original NES. Probably around 1990-1992 (I would have been 4-6 years old)

4-5, Intelivison, colecovison, Atari 7800, Parent's were geeks.... I also killed a system, dont remember what it was but it was White. I was sitting over it and spilled my cereal in it. I got my butt beat too....

First game I remember playing that was purely "digital" was the game Space Invaders, somewhere around the late seventies. At home, soon after, I remember playing Pong in some forgotten games-console.

People don't know there born.

You had to scroll through the static to find your signal. Invariably the game would start scrolling so you would fiddle about with horizontal hold on the back of the TV.

Your dad would come in and want to watch cricket then.
Couldn't record the cricket, videos were being sold around the £500 mark back in the day. A lot of money.

Remember someone in my street having a video and a copy of ET. The whole bloody street would take it in turns to watch the Film. I saw it 30 times at least.

^ Good read mate.

Notice how from around 1975 there is something every year.
Gets to 2006 and then nothing.

Hmm, I dunno exactly when. Was probably 3, game on an old DOS computer that involved ninja and side scrolling. Got my Gameboy back in 89 though... which makes me a lot older than the OP for sure.

I was about 3 or 4. Duck Hunt! I recently went out and bought an NES to grab all my old games again. Excitbike, Blades of Steel, Mario 1-3, Tetris, and of course Duck Hunt.

I don't remember the first game I played. The first "console" I got was the Amiga 1200 when I was five. I got it for Christmas in 1992 and it had just came out. I had no idea what it was at the time. I remember taking it out of the box and my dad told me I could play games on it. I was confused at the very thought of it and wondered where I could see the game, not realizing it plugged into the TV. I think the first game I tried for it (as we got several) was street fighter 2. I was amazed. I also remember my first encounter with road rash. Happy days. Was delighted when my dad found a copy of Microprose's Grand Prix. When Grand Prix 2 came out, I was ecstatic, however our amiga broke around early 97 and I couldn't be reunited with my favourite racing game until we got a proper pc at the end of 97. Which was an awful long time for an impatient kid like me.

First game I ever played was F1 Race (JPN Version) on my original Gameboy in 1990. I remember it being such a great game and I still have it somewhere.

dmgf1afront.jpg

My family bought this, I think around 1978~1979.

ColecoTelstarArcade.jpg

Strangely enough, I'm still into racing sims (although I endured a 20 year hiatus from ANY kind of video games when I hit my late teens). And ironically enough, I never got into FPS. But I had all the tools to do it, more than 30 years ago. :lol:

From the Telstar, it was pretty rapid progression to an Atari VCS (2600), Atari 800 computer and onto early 80s game heaven.

First game I ever played was F1 Race (JPN Version) on my original Gameboy in 1990. I remember it being such a great game and I still have it somewhere.

dmgf1afront.jpg

I think I remember that game. My friend had it for his gameboy.

My family bought this, I think around 1978~1979.

ColecoTelstarArcade.jpg

:drool: *Throws away DFGT*. This will become my go to wheel for gran turismo.

I my first game was a hot wheels game on the PS2. lol
I feel so... young haha.

I never had any gaming devices until I got a PS2, which I bought the day after the PS3 came out lol.
Not even a gameboy.
I feel so deprived.
*sniffles*

:lol:

It was Commodore 64.. perhaps wizard of pwor.. or Sopwith/Sopwith 2. later, we got Atari, and with it came dig dug, Die Hard and many others.

The first I can remember are Alex the Kid (Master System - built in game) and Wonder boy.

Same here, Alex the Kid and Wonder Boy were the first games I played on the Sega Master System, very fond memories of both .👍

Last edited:
Well the first I remember was the Sega Genesis. I don't remember this but my dad attempted to get me playing some side-scroller on the Tandy computer and another one on the Commodore 64. Didn't like those I guess...

Wow great Thread.....I'm 36 so my first gaming experiences were at the Local "Sega Arcade" at my mall. For those who don't know Sega used to have arcades back in it's hey day which is why I'm such a Sega Fanboy. Anyway my earliest memories are of Defender,Robotron,Centipede, PAC Man, etc. I never liked Atari 2600, Especially after PAC Man came out so I never got one. My first console was a Sega Master System.

I was about to create a thread on this exact topic, but I can see we already have one! :) While it hasn't seen any activity for longer than I've even been registered here, I haven't seen any newer more up-to-date threads on this in my search, so I think I am going to bring this one back now if that's okay.

Anyway, while I do not know the exact date, my story of how I got into gaming began at the age of 7 in March of 2001. According to my mom, my cousin wanted to sell his PS1 so he could get a PS2 at the time, so she bought it from him. What she got was the console, 2 controllers, a memory card, a Gameshark, and some games, which to my recollection consisted of Ridge Racer Type 4 (both discs), TOCA Championship Racing, Sports Car GT, and a demo disc called Interactive CD Sampler Pack Volume Three.

My father for some reason set it up in their bedroom, I can remember walking in there and him showing it to me with Ridge Racer Type 4 Turbo Mode being the one he was playing. If I remember correctly, he had chosen the Turbo Mode demo seen here:
SLUS-90049_2024-02-01_21-16-57.png

Of course, I eventually got the chance to play it myself and if I remember correctly, this was the car I drove:
SLUS-90049_2024-02-01_20-35-27.png

I don't remember anything I did directly after, but I undoubtedly had some fun because I eventually kept coming back to it and the rest is history! :)

As far as what happened to the console and the games, the console didn't stay in their bedroom for long. It was moved to the kitchen shortly after where it would remain there until we got an entertainment center in my room around 2004 or so, which is still in use today. The console stuck around until 2008 when I was forced to sell it since we had a PS2 that could play PS1 games (history repeating itself apparently) and that's something that still doesn't sit well with me to this day. Now, the memory card is the only thing that remains of my first console since I salvaged it before the console could be sold and last I checked, it still works. As for the games I got back then, I still have them all and they all still work to this day. In fact, I booted up my first game for the sake of making these screenshots for this thread.

Okay, that might be a bit more than what this thread was asking for, but this is the one place where I felt I could tell my story about my introduction to gaming, so there you have it! :D

Last edited:
It was Prince of Persia on my dad's Motorola-based PowerBook, I don't think my brother had been born yet so I would've been up to 5 years old. I distinctly remember the moment I realised you could run to the left as well as the right, I thought "oh so THIS is how you play it" and still died immediately and repeatedly at the very first sign of trouble.

Funny thing is my dad was very much against videogames but Prince of Persia was literally the only piece of media he could find that represented anything close to Iran (he's Iranian, I'm not), but when it turned out to be useless as a means of introducing me to the culture he didn't let me play it anymore.

Then he tried F/A-18 Hornet instead. A flight sim set in the first Gulf war, where you fight Saddam's regime. Bearing in mind he served in the IRIAF during the Iran-Iraq war and at least claims to have flown F-4 Phantoms I can see what he was going for, but again, I wasn't even 10 at this point...

My son is 2 now but I'm already working out what he'll play first, I want it to be educational in some way so I'm torn between a racing sim, flight sim (probably MSFS, but I'd have to buy a better PC first) or Kerbal Space Program. Maybe KSP 2 will be finished by the time he's old enough?

Back