The Formula 1 Calendar ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 269 comments
Oh No High Quality GIF

RDT_20220317_1151311096825160423710641.png

Average overtakes per circuit since 2017 (only tracks on the 2022 calendar)

Surprises include Paul Ricard in 2nd, Silverstone and Zandvoort being pretty equal, Montreal almost being level with Barcelona and Suzuka being so high.

View attachment 1125376
Average overtakes per circuit since 2017 (only tracks on the 2022 calendar)

Surprises include Paul Ricard in 2nd, Silverstone and Zandvoort being pretty equal, Montreal almost being level with Barcelona and Suzuka being so high.
The real surprise is that Monaco has an average of 2 overtakes... that's much higher than I'd expect. :dopey:

The real surprise is that Monaco has an average of 2 overtakes... that's much higher than I'd expect. :dopey:
I was expecting the number to be less than 0. Only way you pass is if the guy in front lets you by without a battle (then crashes or something).

Vegas official for 2023 with a 50 lap Saturday night race. (which would mean a 4 AM race in the UK?)

Wow, a new race announcement that's actually exciting for once!
Location is top notch, getting a race down one of the most iconic and decorated streets in the world will be spectacular. Formula 1 is only really selling us the location, not harping on about the circuit like it's the only thing that matters. Of course the circuit does matter, bit for once they seem to have gone down the Red Bull Ring rather than Jeddah route for circuit design - something simple and uncomplicated that should still produce some excellent racing. There's a decent mix of high, medium and low speed corners, long straights for passing and none of the complexes have too many corners in a row. For something laid out in a 90-degree American hell-hole, this is a great job at not Phoenixing this up. Hopefully Las Vegas GP v2.0 will succeed a bit more than the car park did in the 80's.

This is how you announce a new race, not the disaster that was Jeddah. The country was not popular as a location (I will give them that the Jeddah Corniche area does seem like a nice place for a circuit), but the focus was on making the circuit MORE MORE MORE! More corners, more speed, more danger, more missile etc.

Roll on Vegas!

Something that is conveniently hidden behind a tower in the circuit map is the complex after the Strip Straight.
FPI1HUWWYAExU1T~2.jpeg

I assume it will be some Abu Dhabi-esque monstrosity like this (purple)
Screenshot_20220331-120011.png

We also don't currently know where the pit lane and starting grid will be. We can see that Turn 1 is after that 45° bend onto a short straight. Perhaps we will go back to old Long Beach style (and half the Formula E circuits) pitlane/finish line on one side of the circuit and the start line on the other side. Line the cars up for the start by the Eiffel Tower!

Something that is conveniently hidden behind a tower in the circuit map is the complex after the Strip Straight.
View attachment 1131648
View attachment 1131649

We also don't currently know where the pit lane and starting grid will be. We can see that Turn 1 is after that 45° bend onto a short straight. Perhaps we will go back to old Long Beach style (and half the Formula E circuits) pitlane/finish line on one side of the circuit and the start line on the other side. Line the cars up for the start by the Eiffel Tower!
Ah! A way to insult France too!

The turns 14-4 complex looks like it will be built over a car park. I’m assuming they’re going to build a pit complex there.

The turns 14-4 complex looks like it will be built over a car park. I’m assuming they’re going to build a pit complex there.
Correct, that's the way I'm seeing it too. Diagonally, the car park's length (which is roughly T14-T1) is 490m, which is the same length of the inside wall of La Source in Spa, to around maybe 100m before the pit-limiter line of the pitlane

Yoooo lets gooo as an american im super hype I hope this becomes our Monaco (til they put a race in Times Square ofc…please?).

Super excited

The Spa-Franchorchamps changes are finished. The gravel is back and I would assume more Safetycars in F1 due to beached cars. Track limits at Raidillon could also be interesting with the new available space.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220331-120011.png
Just looking at the Wiki track map for that section:

1649109585318.png

The only thing I can come up with that works and fits around existing street furniture (kerbs, giant concrete blocks etc.) is this:

1649110359759.png

So they'd run down South Las Vegas Boulevard (one of the concept images has the cars tight to the sign at Caesar's with the trees in the median to the left), into a 90 left, then a short straight before a right kink onto the left side of East Harmon just where the median starts and then following the road as it curves left. They'd have to not use full width as the median narrows the road just there.

The last and first four corners (and the start/finish) are baffling though. I mean, they're clearly going to bulldoze through a vacant lot or two but quite why they're even going over to that bit escapes me.

Depsite all the USA hype, the Miami race is still without a permit and locals are fighting it in court.

Depsite all the USA hype, the Miami race is still without a permit and locals are fighting it in court.
It would not shock me the least if F1 fumbled that and the circus shows up there only to find out they aren't allowed to race.

I wonder if Stephen Ross has a role to play in helping acquire that or he'll turn up with his own lawsuit?

Also stumbled upon this trying to Google some other info I thought I read about Ross/Hard Rock Stadium spending money to accommodate the race.
When representatives for Hard Rock Stadium and the Miami Dolphins went to Miami-Dade County last year with their plan to build a garage and pit area for their Formula One racetrack, regulators said no way.

The problem? Officials said the structure was planned on top of a sewer main, meaning it would block access to pipes for any needed repairs and raise the specter of noxious gases seeping through manholes into the building.

They built it anyway.
Article has other mentions of them ignoring local laws, and spending money on agreements rather than start over and do things right.

Russia will not be replaced, so we keep the 22-race calendar F1 currently has.
Probably a good thing for the personnel. Gives all the teams and their employees an extra week "off" between craziness of the Hungary-Spa-Monza triple-header and the Singapore-Suzuka double-header.

Probably a good thing for the personnel. Gives all the teams and their employees an extra week "off" between craziness of the Hungary-Spa-Monza triple-header and the Singapore-Suzuka double-header.
I believe I have heard that Singapore(or something somewhere) is being moved a week earlier to accommodate.

Latest Posts

Back