The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 721 comments
It's kind of the other way around; it was known as the Sears Tower until 2009, and the naming rights were sold to the Willis Group. By then, the Sears Corporation had long since unoccupied the building.

Like the renaming of companies, sports teams, stadia, bridges, highways, etcetera...there's lots of folks that think of the old name, because it's burned into their consciousness. (Heck, I still immediately think of NASCAR's top tier series as "Winston Cup".) So a lot of Chicagoans still hold onto that name because Sears was once a massive employer to the area that carried a lot of pride. Now they have just a handful of stores, but could have been the equivalent of Amazon had they timed their moves just right.

Weirder still, the Willis Insurance company later merged with another risk management company called Towers Watson. How oddly prophetic is that?
It will always be the Sears Tower, just like the Chrysler Building will never be anything else. Same with the Petronas Towers. It's just the heritage of the building. Hell, in Fort Lauderdale we have a whole neighborhood called Searstown even though the namesake Sears property has been vacant for what's gotta be at least 20 years now.

It will always be the Sears Tower, just like the Chrysler Building will never be anything else. Same with the Petronas Towers. It's just the heritage of the building. Hell, in Fort Lauderdale we have a whole neighborhood called Searstown even though the namesake Sears property has been vacant for what's gotta be at least 20 years now.

You could buy a Sears build-it-yourself home kit for many years. There was even a short-lived town called Sears, Florida between LaBelle and Immokalee which was a sawmill town for the lumber needed to build all those kit homes.

You could buy a Sears build-it-yourself home kit for many years. There was even a short-lived town called Sears, Florida between LaBelle and Immokalee which was a sawmill town for the lumber needed to build all those kit homes.
There's an area in Illinois that once had 156 of them in a single neighborhood.

Honestly after having the "pleasure" of working on quite a few houses of a similar vintage or older a step by step manual should have been on every job site.

Having played Assetto Corsa, I saw there were commands for some features on some modern Formula 1 cars. I don't usually follow Formula 1 much, but I did see there were functions for MGU-H and MGU-K. So I looked on Petronas Motorsports' YouTube channel to learn about the MGU systems. MGU stands for "Motor Generator Unit." The "H" in MGU-H is for Heat, and the "K" in MGU-K is Kinetic. Both are motors that are powered by energy. I can't explain either one in simplest terms, but I know MGU-H involves heat waste from the exhaust, and MGU-K involves energy usage for the battery or other parts of the car.

Both MGU-H and MGU-K are just more trick technologies in Formula 1. I heard, though, that you can use either or both for a maximum of 3 races a season. Any more than 3 will result in a grid penalty. I'm sure you all can educate me better on these MGU units. Still, I now have a basic understanding of the two MGU units.

I already know about Pennsylvania State University. I know about the Nittany Lions. Today, I learned (or as the kids say, "TIL") of the origin of the Nittany namesake. It is named after the fact Penn State is located in the Nittany Valley. So that's where the Nittany in Nittany Lions is based on.

Today, I finally learned what the SHO in Ford Taurus SHO is. It means "Super High Output." SHO fo' sho'.

Oh, and I also learned that AFW means "away from keyboard." Internet lingo is not my strong suit, so it's always a win for me when uncool and not current old man me learns certain Internet lingo terms.

So I recently learned about this show on TLC called Welcome to Myrtle Manor that aired years ago:

However, here's the part that REALLY surprised me...
1699583761546.png

I actually know that blonde chick on the left in the intro video personally, her name is Brittney Austin. I don't know her extremely well, but I went to high school with her and had a few good interactions with her in my freshmen year. One of them even consisted of her flirting with me and I even developed a small crush on her. (I was a pretty gullible kid back then)

We're friends on Facebook and she made a post about it, that was how I found out this. I can honestly say I am mind-blown just knowing a girl I once had a crush on was featured on a TV show, hanging with an artist who has become pretty big recently. And that's actually the 2nd person I know from high school who was associated with a famous country artist. :D

Last edited:
Something I didn't know until yesterday was, this song was by Limp Bizkit:

My cousin used to be heavily into WWE and had several WWE edits of this song he used to burn to CDs back in 2007/2008, but to my knowledge, he never once told me who the artist was and I never bothered to look into it either. Despite knowing about this song for over 15 years, it was honestly completely unknown to me that he was the artist. It wasn't until I saw UltimateYosh's post in the worst song ever thread yesterday that I finally realized it and I feel kind of dumb because you'd think I would have figured it out long before now. :dunce:

On a related note, it's interesting how they filmed parts of the video on one of the World Trade Centers because I was reading about them just recently.

Last edited:
Something I didn't know until yesterday was, this song was by Limp Bizkit:

My cousin used to be heavily into WWE and had several WWE edits of this song he used to burn to CDs back in 2007/2008, but to my knowledge, he never once told me who the artist was and I never bothered to look into it either. Despite knowing about this song for over 15 years, it was honestly completely unknown to me that he was the artist. It wasn't until I saw UltimateYosh's post in the worst song ever thread yesterday that I finally realized it and I feel kind of dumb because you'd think I would have figured it out long before now. :dunce:

On a related note, it's interesting how they filmed parts of the video on one of the World Trade Centers because I was reading about them just recently.

It’s still in my playlist on the Hot Dog album.
I have to skip most of the songs when my daughter is in the car due to the language.

Limp Bizkit Still Suck is their latest album. It… is quite a fun album.

I have to skip most of the songs when my daughter is in the car due to the language.
I don’t doubt it, although the video I posted is censored, that song has a lot of explicit language.
Oh come on, his songs aren't that bad. If you read my profile on Discord, you'll discover that I like Limp Bizkit and Slipknot.
I didn’t even say they were bad though. :odd: UltimateYosh posting about it in the worst song ever thread was just how learned of the artist responsible.

I will admit though, I am not sure Limp Bizkit is for me. This song in particular is like “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” in the sense I like it because it brings back memories and it probably wouldn’t vibe with me otherwise.

Last edited:
I didn’t even say they were bad though. :odd: UltimateYosh posting about it in the worst song ever thread was just how learned of the artist responsible.

I will admit though, I am not sure Limp Bizkit is for me. This song in particular is like “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” in the sense I like it because it brings back memories and it probably wouldn’t vibe with me otherwise.
I wasn't talking about you. I just find it controversial that UltimateYosh posted 3 of his songs in the thread.

Something else I just learned today is when computers list the size of their screens, they're measured diagonally from one corner to the other. Like this:
1700355981682.png

I always thought it was measured from side to side and was confused when my new computer wasn't 16 inches when measured that way. It wasn't until my mom told me I finally knew and it has me wondering yet again how I just now realized it. :odd:
I wasn't talking about you. I just find it controversial that UltimateYosh posted 3 of his songs in the thread.
I suspected that was what you meant, but I wasn't certain and I didn't want you or anyone else thinking I was bashing him.

I will say this though, while I like "Rollin'", it certainly isn't for everyone and I can see why one would probably not like it too much.

Last edited:
There’s a heavy recording from the album called Rollin’ Air Raid version with Wu Tang. It’s a better, grittier song that the original.

I suspected that was what you meant, but I wasn't certain and I didn't want you or anyone else thinking I was bashing him.

I will say this though, while I like "Rollin'", it certainly isn't for everyone and I can see why one would probably not like it too much.
Well I ask you to play the song with this:

It also works for the season montages. Sync it up to the lights going out and it's great.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it says it's not available for me. :(
There’s a heavy recording from the album called Rollin’ Air Raid version with Wu Tang. It’s a better, grittier song that the original.
What do you mean "original"?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it says it's not available for me. :(

What do you mean "original"?
The version you initially posted is the original. The Rollin’ Air Raid version is a remake of the same song on the same album.

Something else I just learned today is when computers list the size of their screens, they're measured diagonally from one corner to the other. Like this:

I always thought it was measured from side to side and was confused when my new computer wasn't 16 inches when measured that way. It wasn't until my mom told me I finally knew and it has me wondering yet again how I just now realized it. :odd:
At one time TV screens (there were no monitors yet, at least not for the general public) were measured horizontally. Then Marketing realized they could puff the numbers by measuring diagonally. So your 9" television magically became a 12" TV. But it gets worse. Those measurements were of the viewing area. Marketing started measuring to the outside corners of the picture tube. Now your 9"/12" TV became a 14" TV. But all with the same size picture tube.

At one time TV screens (there were no monitors yet, at least not for the general public) were measured horizontally. Then Marketing realized they could puff the numbers by measuring diagonally. So your 9" television magically became a 12" TV. But it gets worse. Those measurements were of the viewing area. Marketing started measuring to the outside corners of the picture tube. Now your 9"/12" TV became a 14" TV. But all with the same size picture tube.
I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Another is that early TVs were more round than they were square so the only real way of measuring the screen size was by diameter. This is why TV screen size has pretty much always been described by screen diameter.

main-qimg-43a65824115ae551cfbd13e498cf59ef-pjlq.jpg

Back