Things I Love...

• Thread starter W3H5
  • 375 comments
I love the feeling of being super lightweight after doing heavy barbell squats and deadlifts with up to 2.5 times my own body weight. The weights are so heavy it feels like I need no strength at all to move just my body around.

I love the unexpected moments when you realise you are happy.

For example, I'm off for 2 weeks from today, it's hot outside (16 degrees in Scotland) and I'm sitting outside with a Camaro (Corona equivalent from Lidl) in the sun.

Yeah work is bad at the moment and the car has just cost me four figures in maintenance, the world is a mess and my stepson is making all the mistakes I made at his age, also an impending surgery for a saliva gland removal:

But sipping this beer in the sun, the cats sunbathing nearby, Billy joel on the headphones, and the prospect of meeting my Dad for the first time in 30 years later on in the year, I dunno.... just a sweet moment.

Cheers all :cheers:

Last edited:
I love the unexpected moments when you realise you are happy.

For example, I'm off for 2 weeks from today, it's hot outside (16 degrees in Scotland) and I'm sitting outside with a Camaro (Corona equivalent from Lidl) in the sun.

Yeah work is bad at the moment and the car has just cost me four figures in maintenance, the world is a mess and my stepson is making all the mistakes I made at his age, also an impending surgery for a saliva gland removal:

But sipping this beer in the sun, the cats sunbathing nearby, Billy joel on the headphones, and the prospect of meeting my Dad for the first time in 30 years later on in the year, I dunno.... just a sweet moment.

Cheers all :cheers:
It's so good that not everything has to be perfect to get that feeling of happiness.
I often find it at the most unexpected of times and it's heart warming everytime.

Good on you!

Cheat codes in PS1 instruction manuals.
This is something you sadly you don’t see anymore, but man do I love finding cheat codes in the manuals.

I can remember when I was 8, my cousin was telling me about how Muppet Racemania had them in the manual and what they did. I didn’t know how to use a memory card at the time, so going from having nothing unlocked to having nearly everything was an amazing experience for me at the time. It had me looking at the manuals a bit more in my other games in hopes of finding more.

It really is a shame we don’t see these anymore because I loved finding cheat codes in the manuals and it’s something I wish we still had.

I like kenopsia. Kenopsia is a term that describes the eerie forlorn feeling you get when you experience a place that is usually bustling with life, full of crowds that is now completely empty. Like an empty office, a school after the lessons have ended, etc. Most people I know become uneasy in such places, but for some weird reason I really like that feeling, especially in large places.

Last edited:
I love it when my car shows up in the "Did you see anything good today" thread. Not my actual car but same make/model.

I love how Croft pronounces Tsunoda and Honda. He changes the 'duh' at the end to 'der', so it sounds like Tsunoder and Honder. Some people probably hate it but I think it's funny. It's literally the only thing I like about him.

The pseudo time dilation of dreams.

A short time ago I woke up to my alarm, hit snooze and returned to slumber. My brain then spent what felt like hours in a lucid dream state. I woke when my daughter called for milk and noticed my snooze had been less than 6 minutes.

How fast must the mind be processing to achieve this phenomenon? Incredible.

The pseudo time dilation of dreams.

A short time ago I woke up to my alarm, hit snooze and returned to slumber. My brain then spent what felt like hours in a lucid dream state. I woke when my daughter called for milk and noticed my snooze had been less than 6 minutes.

How fast must the mind be processing to achieve this phenomenon? Incredible.
I've had the same situation happen to me twice that I can recall. Once I was sleeping in a chair at a family member's house and woke up halfway through the night. Looked at the clock and saw it said 2:15 or so, closed my eyes, then woke up again to do a doubletake to see it be sunny and 7:35. Absolutely wild

When the end of a song has a small portion of the next song.
This is something I really like in music that I feel doesn't happen nearly enough. When done correctly, I feel like having a small snippet of the next track at the very end is nice because then it makes you curious to hear more of it, which can lead to you checking out the next track. It meshes together in a way that makes it feel like you're listening to a multi-stage song than a different song entirely and could help keep the listener hooked longer than expected.

Although I haven't listened to it in MANY years, "Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park is a good example of this because the last 2 seconds or so contain a little bit of "What I've Done", the next track on the album. Which I think is a nice touch! 👍 See for yourself:

And another one I want to mention is from the much lesser-known band Gravity Kills. They have a song called "Guilty" and much like the other example I mentioned, it contains a snippet for "Blame" at the very end of the song, which is also the very next track on the album. The same could be said for "Down" and "Here" on the same album.

I don't know exactly how common this sort of thing is and maybe I have been living under a rock, but I don't see this much at all. I do love it when I hear it though and wish artists did it more often.

Something about seeing an older pre-2000s base-ish model car that's still on the road in a region of the country that hardly keeps older cars around makes me happy. (For me, being in the salt belt where cars rust to death) Especially if it's either well taken care of, or just simply helping someone go about their daily life. For example...

I hardly see E36 3-Series around in New England, especially the sedan, coupe, or compact/hatch. The convertibles tend to stick around because...they're soft tops and the owners tend to garage them. But anytime I see a sedan/coupe/hatch, it's been horribly modified in some way or trashed through years of abuse. Today I saw a young lady driving an E36 325i sedan on the original OEM hubcaps! I never felt such joy from simply seeing a BMW on factory hubcaps, funny enough it was whilst I was at the nearby gas station filling up a 2019 BMW M5 for work. So...that lady was probably a bit creeped out by me grinning ear to ear while staring at her car from a expensive newer BMW.

Looked like this model, but in black and...not quite as ropey.
50176765316_b0033431e4_b.jpg

Browsing Soundcloud for country songs I can't find anywhere else.
While I've known about Soundcloud for years now, I recently have been looking at it a lot more lately. Not too long ago, I learned it has songs from some relatively unknown artists who make music in their free time as well as songwriters and producers sharing demos of some of my favorite songs or ones that were never released to the public. (besides being on Soundcloud) Theirs a lot of stuff on there that doesn't seemingly exist anywhere outside of Soundcloud itself and I just love browsing around and finding anything of this sort. Some of my most recent favorites are ones I discovered there and I have a feeling I am only going to find more over time. :D

Last edited:
The relief of finding something you hid so well that you began gaslighting yourself and went through all 5 stages of grief.

Unfortunately, it was not my copy of TXR3.

Getting an unexpected gift of something that was needed/wanted, from somebody who understands what is important to an individual.

Today I sent my kindergarteners packing (end of the school year). They’re done with the basics so they brought me some gifts.

One of them, my “teacher’s pet”, gifted me something I’ll keep forever…

IMG_7675.jpeg

IMG_7676.jpeg

A very high-end card binder with some booster packs for my daughter to open.

Sure beats keeping my collection loose in a tin.
And coming from a 6 year old, this is a very thoughtful gift.

Said student didn’t know of Pokémon until he joined my class a year ago. Now he plays almost as well as I do, and can certainly calculate HP damage faster than me.

Another student gave me some beer tokens (cash money in a bouquet) and said “This is for your ice creams on the holiday.”
I think what he meant was beer, not ice cream.
Little does he know I won’t be having a holiday.

Although I haven't listened to it in MANY years, "Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park is a good example of this because the last 2 seconds or so contain a little bit of "What I've Done", the next track on the album.
As a big LP fan I admit I didn’t know this, so I looked up the track list for Minutes to Midnight, and What I’ve Done comes before Shadow of the Day, not after.

Today I love elements of nature. My trees attract a lot of wildlife, and some are tiny nectar drinking humming bird type things.
One spent a good 5 minutes flittering between grooming himself on my car’s mirror, then hovering in front of the reflection to check itself out.
Very cool to watch.

I would love the myna birds who roam like raptors in small groups, but they **** all over the place indiscriminately.

As a big LP fan I admit I didn’t know this, so I looked up the track list for Minutes to Midnight, and What I’ve Done comes before Shadow of the Day, not after.
You sure of that? Every other source I look at says “Shadow of the Day” comes directly before “What I’ve Done”.

You sure of that? Every other source I look at says “Shadow of the Day” comes directly before “What I’ve Done”.
The first search I did must have been wrong. My bad.

This is from the album.
IMG_7789.jpeg

Strangely though, I didn’t hear them cross faded.

Last edited:
The first search I did must have been wrong. My bad.
It happens.
Strangely though, I didn’t hear them cross faded.
I don't know what you used to listen to it, but I have noticed it cuts off slightly at the end on Youtube, which happens in other videos for some reason. However, I recently reclaimed this song from our old desktop computer and just listened to the ending earlier and it's there at literally the last second.

I don't know what you used to listen to it, but I have noticed it cuts off slightly at the end on Youtube, which happens in other videos for some reason.
I use YouTube Music, so purely audio, no video.

If you like crossfades, Pearl Jam’s first album, Ten, starts and finishes with the same piece of music, which suggests the whole album could loop.
It’s also, in my opinion, the best Pearl Jam album.

Feels therapeutic sitting down and going through stuff and organizing it. Heck, cleaning in general feels therapeutic. I love sitting down with my fairly messy stacks of my diecast model car collection and organizing it. Maybe listening to a podcast, music, or just talking with my brother while doing it. Feels rather zen to just reorganizing stuff and not thinking about the outside world with all the negativity.

I wish to do it more often with fixing and cleaning things, but after tough days at work, you just feel like you lose the motivation to do much when you get home. Only makes me feel more guilty for not actually doing some chores.

Last edited:
Playable traffic cars in racing games.
For about as long as I've been into gaming, I always had an obsession with wanting to drive traffic cars in street racing games and I get pretty excited when I find out it can be done. Not really sure why I find it so amusing, I guess it's just because they usually differ quite a bit from the game's typical car list and provide a different experience. That, and just the simple fact I get to see and use something that is normally just a background element is something I also find fun.

Some examples I could name are:
1. Need for Speed Most Wanted has playable versions of a pickup truck, a dump truck, a taxi, a cement truck, and several police cars that you get to drive in the challenge series. Unfortunately, they're reserved for the challenge series only and cannot normally be played outside of it, but if you know how to hex edit, you can make them available in the stock section to be used anywhere else.
2. Need for Speed Carbon does this even better because they have playable versions of a fire truck, a different dump truck, and several police cars you can unlock via the reward cards, and when you do, you can use them in quick race. Like MW though, you can reassign them to the stock car category to be used anywhere with a little hex editing.
3. Although I have not played it much at all, Midnight Club Street Racing has some playable versions of traffic cars, one being a double-decker bus, another being a taxi and I don't even remember the rest. Although I have barely touched the game, this has me kind of anxious to play it.

I am sure theirs more I could list, but if you ever want to get my attention, just tell me a game has playable traffic cars and it's likely I will take interest in it. :P

Last edited:
Feels therapeutic sitting down and going through stuff and organizing it. Heck, cleaning in general feels therapeutic. I love sitting down with my fairly messy stacks of my diecast model car collection and organizing it. Maybe listening to a podcast, music, or just talking with my brother while doing it. Feels rather zen to just reorganizing stuff and not thinking about the outside world with all the negativity.

I wish to do it more often with fixing and cleaning things, but after tough days at work, you just feel like you lose the motivation to do much when you get home. Only makes me feel more guilty for not actually doing some chores.
I did this yesterday!

I cleared about 5kg of old shirts and slacks from my wardrobe, and what was left was easily arrangeable.
The shelves also had a load of tat so I filled a bin with recyclables.
My game collection was then relocated to the shelves now free of tat.

Not content to get everything I own into one wardrobe, I went to town on the kitchen and optimised the cupboards and fridge freezer, also purging a large amount of recyclables.

My shed has been well organised for a while but my rear car seats take up a lot of the space. Perhaps I’ll take that on today.

In between organising the house, I cleaned and maintained my motorcycle, daily hypermiling hatch and 3 bicycles.

I’ve been keen to clear and organise my daughter’s bedroom but that means throwing out 90% of the junk and she isn’t ready to part with it yet.

I’ve have a huge Pokémon card collection that I share with my students, and sitting down with some tunes to curate it once a week is like meditation.

I think I’ll do the garden today once I’m high as **** again.

Last edited:
Back