Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,329 comments
This was the best I could do. Top of my country (Portugal) and probably among the top of controller users.

Would've liked to know how many players entered this.
I did a very slow lap on the new Time Trial to see how many players will eventually enter it, so far it's at over 4.000 but this is the first few hours. Will wait a week until I try for real to see how many players, more or less, participate.

20220707_112940.jpg

Did a 1:21.3 after a few laps, but man I'm awful with these cars - let alone the fact I've not really driven on Fuji since GT4. I'm hoping it will keep me safe but I'm somewhat doubtful, it's at 2.3% so I expect I'll have to drop it to a 1:20.9 or so. Somehow.

Did a 1:21.3 after a few laps, but man I'm awful with these cars - let alone the fact I've not really driven on Fuji since GT4. I'm hoping it will keep me safe but I'm somewhat doubtful, it's at 2.3% so I expect I'll have to drop it to a 1:20.9 or so. Somehow.
Dude how??? I'm struggling with 1:22.3 here lol

Dude how??? I'm struggling with 1:22.3 here lol
"Few" might have been an understatement lol, it was probably about 20 laps. I just try and stick with the top ghosts as best as I can, and copy what they do.

I start with finding a ghost close to my target time (e.g. I wanted to get into the 21s, so I picked one that was around 21.8 I think) and I use that one until I'm consistently in range of it, then I knock it down to a quicker ghost, chase it, and repeat with faster ghosts until I begin struggling to keep up with one.

This was the best I could do. Top of my country (Portugal) and probably among the top of controller users.

Would've liked to know how many players entered this.
I did a very slow lap on the new Time Trial to see how many players will eventually enter it, so far it's at over 4.000 but this is the first few hours. Will wait a week until I try for real to see how many players, more or less, participate.

View attachment 1170076

I did a 1:38.1xx for a gold time and was in the mid 5000s .. so it seems participation numbers are way higher.

On a side note, is there anywhere where I can see the results? Or is it just take your money and forget about it?

EDIT: A bit of a brainfart, you're of course talking about the new TT :D I know my way out.

One more thing, are more on the opinion that a 2 week time period is stretching it a bit? I think a week would be perfect, keep it fresh and rotating, but still with time to finesse your laps.

Last edited:
I was hoping the rewards would include all tiers below it like in GT5/6. Alas PD is as stingy as ever. 2 million every 2 weeks is just loose change. If they only make 1 TT then it should at least change every week (GT Sport just had 2 new TTs, even though it's monthly now).

How hard is it to have 1 race car no tuning + 1 road car with tuning combo?

Also this Super Formula combo shows how unrealistically OP the downforce in GT7 is. Turn 2 is not flat in real life.

Last edited:
I've seen this somewhere but cannot find it, so I'll ask the TTers here: What are all the numbers in the HUD when doing time trials?

I'm seeing at the center, just above the rev bar, red and blue numbers with a + or -, and to the left an up or down arrow in blue or red. I'm getting a bit of a feel for what it may be referencing regarding fastest pace, but there's more going on and I'd like to get it clear in my head before I make any wrong assumptions.

Can somebody explain each of these items for me?

I've seen this somewhere but cannot find it, so I'll ask the TTers here: What are all the numbers in the HUD when doing time trials?

I'm seeing at the center, just above the rev bar, red and blue numbers with a + or -, and to the left an up or down arrow in blue or red. I'm getting a bit of a feel for what it may be referencing regarding fastest pace, but there's more going on and I'd like to get it clear in my head before I make any wrong assumptions.

Can somebody explain each of these items for me?

The red and blue numbers are you delta compared to your fastest lap. If the arrow is blue your gaining time, red loosing time. If the time numerical readout is blue your faster on that lap, red the opposite. Does that make sense ? If your doing multiple laps pay some attention to it while trying different lines and you'll see where you can gain time on a lap

I've somehow managed a 1.21.0, mainly from using one of the top guys as a ghost. The 2nd and 3rd corners are taken flat out which surprised me.....only other thing i noticed from the dozens of laps i did is taking a wide line and powering out seemed to gain me more time.

Last edited:
The red and blue numbers are you delta compared to your fastest lap. If the arrow is blue your gaining time, red loosing time. If the time numerical readout is blue your faster on that lap, red the opposite. Does that make sense ? If your doing multiple laps pay some attention to it while trying different lines and you'll see where you can gain time on a lap

I've somehow managed a 1.21.0, mainly from using one of the top guys as a ghost. The 2nd and 3rd corners are taken flat out which surprised me.....only other thing i noticed from the dozens of laps i did is taking a wide line and powering out seemed to gain me more time.
Thank you! That makes sense and fits mostly what I was thinking. Overall I get the concept. Always shoot for a - blue up arrow! But there seem to be so many moving parts.

Let me dig a little deeper. Let's break it down to the three components:
  1. +/- : is it always referring to the fastest lap?
  2. down arrow/up arrow: are they referring to the fastest lap or to the current lap?
  3. red/blue: are they corresponding to the fastest lap?
  4. Is there a part I'm missing here? Let me know . . .

So these are mostly straightforward, but here's where I get confused. I may be missing something really obvious here . . .
  • I'm assuming the +/- is a delta to the fastest lap, correct? Sometimes, however, the number is blue but with a - in front of it, and vice versa.
  • So is the arrow a delta to that same point in the fastest lap, or internal to the current lap? I think I have seen a red up arrow before, which would't make sense unless one of these things is referring to the currently lap only.
  • I'm pretty sure I've seen every combination of +/-, red/blue and down/up arrows which is, I think, 8 possible combinations. But for the life of me I can't come up with 8 different scenarios where this would make sense!
I wish I had a video to help explain this. I think maybe I should just do a few laps of a trial to set a base lap, and then do a lap that starts slow and ends fast, and then a lap that starts fast and ends slow to try to work these things out. But it's easier to just ask you folks who know more about these things than I do!

Thanks in advance for the help.
[edit for clarity, I hope]
[second edit: NOPE! I was totally wrong about the colors not matching. Most of my confusion is imagined and I'm making harder than I need to.]

Last edited:
Thank you! That makes sense and fits mostly what I was thinking. Overall I get the concept. Always shoot for a - blue up arrow! But there seem to be so many moving parts.

Let me dig a little deeper. Let's break it down to the three components:
  1. +/- : is it always referring to the fastest lap?
  2. down arrow/up arrow: are they referring to the fastest lap or to the current lap?
  3. red/blue: are they corresponding to the fastest lap?
  4. Is there a part I'm missing here? Let me know . . .

So these are mostly straightforward, but here's where I get confused. I may be missing something really obvious here . . .
  • I'm assuming the +/- is a delta to the fastest lap, correct? Sometimes, however, the number is blue but with a - in front of it, and vice versa.
  • So is the arrow a delta to that same point in the fastest lap, or internal to the current lap? I think I have seen a red up arrow before, which would't make sense unless one of these things is referring to the currently lap only.
  • I'm pretty sure I've seen every combination of +/-, red/blue and down/up arrows which is, I think, 8 possible combinations. But for the life of me I can't come up with 8 different scenarios where this would make sense!
I wish I had a video to help explain this. I think maybe I should just do a few laps of a trial to set a base lap, and then do a lap that starts slow and ends fast, and then a lap that starts fast and ends slow to try to work these things out. But it's easier to just ask you folks who know more about these things than I do!

Thanks in advance for the help.
[edit for clarity, I hope]
One is for your fastest lap of the session and the other is each sector of that lap. 🍻

One is for your fastest lap of the session and the other is each sector of that lap. 🍻
Ok, it's based on each sector, which makes perfect sense now that I think about it. So if I'm getting it, the +/- and red/blue are deltas based on your best lap, and the up/down blue/red arrows are deltas for your best time in that sector. Is this right? It occurred to me that it probably can't be measuring anything internal to the current lap unless it is projecting what it would take in a sector to gain time, which I don't think this game is doing. Sorry to sound so dense, but this is all new to me.

Last edited:
1:21.3 for gold as of writing.

Edit:
I dont know why, but i find the sf19 incredibly difficult to drive, and i lose time in the final sector to which any mistakes means having to reset and waste another minute of my life like youtube deems ok for everyone with their forced adverts. I actually found the Escudo easier to get a gold time for but this has zero forgiveness leading to a long retry time only to mess it up again. Then again I haven't driven this car outside of the licence test.

Last edited:
I've managed a 1:22.6 thus far, which makes that 21.3 a long way away. I still have quite a bit of time to find in turn 2.

It's quite a fun combination, and gives you an appreciation for how much skill is needed to wring the full potential out of these cars.

Done about 10 laps and have a 21.1, I should be able to get down to 20.8 without too much trouble.

Turn 4 is my nemesis. I simply cannot get the braking and line worked out.

Well I thought I was done (and kinda hoped to be) with that 36.309 but alas, my friend StiligeDan went and beat my time with a .295. Naturally I had to return and dethrone him again which I did manage after a while. A mere -0,041 but it was enough!

[...]

Unfortunately he returned once again and put up a 1’36.154!

[...]

That stonker of a time I’ve yet to beat but I’m trying. Got my .268 to a .267. :lol: There is more there though! Now to string it all together.
Improvement achieved! First down to a .224. Then along came another friend of mine, erazer, and set a 1’36.160, just 0,006 behind StiligeDan. I knew I had potential for more so I kept going. It was a very enjoyable TT after all, driving the ESCUDO at Alsace. Eventually managed to equal erazer with the exact same time! Pretty cool with this Swedish trio like that in the leaderboards.

181d6251af78-screenshotUrl.png

Super Formula at Fuji. Definitely not as enjoyable, in my personal opinion. Fuji and sector 3 in particular is my worst achilles heel in the entire racing world. Utterly awful. Super Formula is not the easiest car to drive either. Was driving against a 1’20.311 ghost and was slightly ahead entering S3 where I start struggling. Managed to get around decently and posted a 1’20.697 (2,19 %). Hoping that’ll last for gold. Can’t really be that much more to find in Vendetta’s #1 as of writing, can there?

So far managed a 1:21:6 at Fuji and loving the challenge. Bit crappy using controller but not much I can do there 🙂 Video is from when I managed 1:21:8 a couple of days ago. I know I can find more time.

Attachments

• 181ea1496b366-screenshotUrl.jpg
    181ea1496b366-screenshotUrl.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 14
So far managed a 1:21:6 at Fuji and loving the challenge. Bit crappy using controller but not much I can do there 🙂 Video is from when I managed 1:21:8 a couple of days ago. I know I can find more time.

Thanks for that, clips like that are really helpful in that we can see where you're braking / lifting, how much kerb can be used without getting a penalty etc.
Tried to copy what you did and crashed. 🤣

Still, I'm just inside the bronze time and can't see how the fastest lap so far can possibly get any faster! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for that, clips like that are really helpful in that we can see where you're braking / lifting, how much kerb can be used without getting a penalty etc.
Tried to copy what you did and crashed. 🤣

Still, I'm just inside the bronze time and can't see how the fastest lap so far can possibly get any faster! Fingers crossed!
I managed a 1.21.2xx, so gold for 0.1xx :scared: Fingers crossed indeed :ill:

I managed a 24 flat and that's about the limit of my abilities in something that fast. Too used to the lower level cars, don't really believe the grip levels to throw it into the bends full gas. Same issue I have with the group 1s.

I just did 1:23.083, gain 1.5 seconds to my old record only in sector 3!

Now I see I'm only 2 tenths from silver and for sure will try to make it.
Before, with 1:24.500 didn't think it is possible for me.

Back