Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,697 comments
This morning when I went to the Interlagos TT and oh surprise !!!! I no longer had the gold medal. So I decided to watch my friend @Gomario JSP 's trick and follow his ghost !!! Of course you think that for us earthlings it's hard to follow an alien, but it allowed me to come back and take my gold medal with a time of 1'35'052. But if I want to be in the 1'34 and secure this medal I will have to approach the first turn much better.
17135187557884984541025166174630.jpg

I thought that I will struggle with that jag, but oh boy it's a pleasant car to drive. Gold is not gonna be a problem, as I invalidated couple of -0.5s laps - still learning where I can go through kerbs and where doing so will kill me (slightly driving over kerb at T14 spits me on the outside walls :) ). And I think that I got another 0.5 to find in T11 - as that is where @Interemptor ghost (gap to ghost set on 0.5s) drives past me easily when I stay in front of him for most of Sector 2.
18ef33c085b86-screenshotUrl.jpg

I thought that I will struggle with that jag, but oh boy it's a pleasant car to drive. Gold is not gonna be a problem, as I invalidated couple of -0.5s laps - still learning where I can go through kerbs and where doing so will kill me (slightly driving over kerb at T14 spits me on the outside walls :) ). And I think that I got another 0.5 to find in T11 - as that is where @Interemptor ghost (gap to ghost set on 0.5s) drives past me easily when I stay in front of him for most of Sector 2.
View attachment 1348167
Can really recommend @Tidgney guide(s) for these TTs. Mostly I find it really hard to find the right reference points for braking etc (on Forza I always drove with the line on) and his guides really helped me to get better and faster. Still ways to go but that takes time.

Last edited:
Can really recommend @Tidgney guide(s) for these TTs. Mostly I find it really hard to find the right reference points for braking etc (on Forza I always drove with the line on) and his guides really helped me to get better and faster. Still ways to go but that takes time.
I watch them, and then I can't replicate them :). Usualy I brake a bit earlier, as I get better braking results when ABS does not engage. I don't slam my brake pedal, only smooth inputs the same goes for accelerator. I have noticed that my footwork improved a lot since I started participating in this thread, so it will get better I suppose. For now Tidgneys guides are a great reference for me, but I do some things differently adapting to my MUCH lower skills :)

I watch them, and then I can't replicate them :). Usualy I brake a bit earlier, as I get better braking results when ABS does not engage. I don't slam my brake pedal, only smooth inputs the same goes for accelerator. I have noticed that my footwork improved a lot since I started participating in this thread, so it will get better I suppose. For now Tidgneys guides are a great reference for me, but I do some things differently adapting to my MUCH lower skills :)
This is totally fine. You don't need to replicate his braking markers to get gold. You can brake a bit earlier, get on the power a bit late, and still get a gold time. It's just a reference.

Although I do find Tidgney usually accounts for this. If you then watch some other pro players laps you see then braking later than Tidgney.

The Jaaaaag is a lot of fun. Maybe it's the new setup, but it feels absolutely incredible in the feedback for me. Every little nuance seems to end up in my hands. RH tires are a little bit much for this car in that it's a little bit twitchy from them but what a great drive. I have come to enjoy this track and its flow quite a bit. Patience here always seems to be the fastest way. I made it down to 1:34.4xx last night but the screenshot wouldn't sync with the app so I didn't get a picture. Anyway, I really enjoyed my first session there and I am aiming for a 33. I think I have it in me. Cheers all!!

Is that your cat?

Cute one, we only had 2 dogs and a cat in our entire lives. My dog's name was Buddy, he was a german shepherd. However he died in 2009. We were devestated about it. That was the only dog I ever owned.

I will return tomorrow morning, for the X-bow TT.
Yeah, called Kiwi ..it's a weird cat thinking he's some kind of dog, he barks and brings things back what you throw till he's exhausted, he's my weird little friend, kind of like his boss :lol: :lol:
This morning when I went to the Interlagos TT and oh surprise !!!! I no longer had the gold medal. So I decided to watch my friend @Gomario JSP 's trick and follow his ghost !!! Of course you think that for us earthlings it's hard to follow an alien, but it allowed me to come back and take my gold medal with a time of 1'35'052. But if I want to be in the 1'34 and secure this medal I will have to approach the first turn much better.
Yeeaahhh.... back into the gold mate!, awesom!
It's realy important to not willing to go TO fast, if i look at my own lap it's agonisingly slow, but it's the only way to rotate it.
Some cars do rotate a bit under trailbraking, this one just doesn't :lol::lol:
My problem corner is the for-last one..., still haven't figured out what the fastest way around that one is, my sectortime on the PB lap wasn't the best one :grumpy::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Gold time still dropping, going to need a 34 now. I think I can do that but not much more.
This feels a bit like the Shelby/Deep Forest combo and I managed a gold there, maybe I just need a 60s race car every week.
Of course it does :rolleyes: Would have been too easy to get gold after 1 session 😂😂

1:35,066 with the Jag. Improving further is a little harder than i imagined yesterday but 1:34,xxx and a save gold should be doable.

Calster on top spot. Who and why stated that this would be a good one on controller?
@Tidgney claims that when a car snaps it is easier to catch on controller than with a wheel. He said that, for example, last week with the X-Bow and the week before with the Toyota GT-One. And it seems to happen the same with the Jaguar.

Sadly I can't tell you the difference because I never used a wheel but I understand it is indeed no problem catching with a controller, the hard thing would be managing throttle right when is demanded.

Edit: congratz on your new PB 😎

Last edited:
1:35,066 with the Jag. Improving further is a little harder than i imagined yesterday but 1:34,xxx and a save gold should be doable.

Calster on top spot. Who and why stated that this would be a good one on controller?
This Jaaaaaaaag one is tricky. The understeer is strong.....the overseer is strong......mix in bumpy interlagos.

I think this will favour controller users slightly

@Tidgney claims that when a car snaps it is easier to catch on controller than with a wheel. He said that, for example, last week with the X-Bow and the week before with the Toyota GT-One. And it seems to happen the same with the Jaguar.

Sadly I can't tell you the difference because I never used a wheel but I understand it is indeed no problem catching with a controller, the hard thing would be managing hrottle right when is demanded.

yes, it's always the question what is harder and what's not...
As a controller user i sometimes have the advantage, and sometimes when the speed and downforce gets higher i'm in disadvantage..
Catching is prob easier on pad indeed, trailbraking and throttle management should be easier on pedals i quess ( please correct me if i'm wrong alien wheel abusers )

We have some real fast pad users always in the top bizar so it's bizar how competitive it is.

both have pro's and con's :)

As a controller user i sometimes have the advantage, and sometimes when the speed and downforce gets higher i'm in disadvantage..
Catching is prob easier on pad indeed, trailbraking and throttle management should be easier on pedals i quess ( please correct me if i'm wrong alien wheel abusers )

We have some real fast pad users always in the top bizar so it's bizar how competitive it is.

What fascinate me the most is not that you can use controller and can be on first page of global leaderboard very often but the fact that you turn on alarm 6 in the morning to play Gran Turismo, I have no words for that, many people can't get up at 8 to go to work. I mean I love Gran Turismo and play very often and sometimes can play long sessions but not 6 in the morning I have to be honest, so kudos to you for that early morning dedication!

I think it's obvious that PD could not and did not simply translate the mechanics of a wheel 1:1 to the controller (or vice versa). If that were the case, a sudden slight movement of the left stick (say 50% travel) would amount to a 90 degree wheel angle, and you would immediately fly off the track. So they definitely have to approach the steering differently. With that in mind I have to agree: it's impressive how balanced wheel and controller users generally are. That certain combinations favor one or the other camp probably cannot be avoided.

#ControllerGang member here.😆

Yes, the braking and throttle management seems like biggest disadvantage. I'd love to be able to dispense the inputs much finer, if that makes sense. Sometimes I still drive, err... digital mode. Full on or full off. Not great.🙃

The catching, I don't know. I end up in the wrong direction quite regularly...🥳

What fascinate me the most is not that you can use controller and can be on first page of global leaderboard very often but the fact that you turn on alarm 6 in the morning to play Gran Turismo, I have no words for that, many people can't get up at 8 to go to work. I mean I love Gran Turismo and play very often and sometimes can play long sessions but not 6 in the morning I have to be honest, so kudos to you for that early morning dedication!
ha, thanks mate!, appriciate your kinds words!

For me it's almost automatic, i'm someone who needs to focus to be fast, and it's not comming out of the blue, i do practise a lot :)
The problem is that i am a real family man, and if i'm home from work ( every day from 8:30 AM to 5 PM, i want to spend time with my wife and daughter ( when she's not up in her room tho , yes THE room..... the going to be mancave place ) :lol::lol:
So aside from the quick blast when the wife hits the shower my only option is early on if i want a good session....

The morning gives me around 90 minutes then to blast without interruption ( if the cats are at down with it... :lol:

And like i said before that goes both ways ... beeing ( i think ) the fastest motionsteering fella out there in the world :bowdown: :bowdown:
@Gomario JSP remember that GT6 promotional song?

"5 in the morning, the ghost of you...."

It fits your TT early morning routine just perfect. 😂😂😂😂😂
Does this means i have to get up at 5 now?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I think it's obvious that PD could not and did not simply translate the mechanics of a wheel 1:1 to the controller (or vice versa). If that were the case, a sudden slight movement of the left stick (say 50% travel) would amount to a 90 degree wheel angle, and you would immediately fly off the track. So they definitely have to approach the steering differently. With that in mind I have to agree: it's impressive how balanced wheel and controller users generally are. That certain combinations favor one or the other camp probably cannot be avoided.
True!, i think they did an outstanding job balance it like the way they did,
i can't complain!, besides... some combo's just suits a person better... or not :lol: and it's not always the weel/pad difference

But that we occasionally van visit a top 100 with a controller is something i'm realy happy with, :):)

@Leon Kowalski but i'm familliar with that too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Sadly I can't tell you the difference because I never used a wheel but I understand it is indeed no problem catching with a controller, the hard thing would be managing throttle right when is demanded.

I haven't tried the wheel on the Jag I found it easy on the controller. Controller hasn't been my go to input for more than a year and I hardly use, for reference.

And yes, catching oversteer with the controller is much much easier.

I still find throttle control to be easier on the pad. Trail braking is definitely easier on the wheel but not by a big margin.

If I would have to say what is the biggest advantage on the wheel, I'd say steering input/precision. Everything thing else is either better on pad or about the same.

This is as a general rule. Some cars are atrocious on the pad like the mp4 or even the super formula, and tyre wear on pad is much worse.

Last edited:
I put about 60 miles in, and have snuck into gold for now by less than 0.05 seconds, so obviously I will need to improve a bit more to keep gold. I like the challenge of this one.

As an non-alien and someone who plays on controller and usually just about sneaks into gold (if not a VGT car), for me the key here is to brake a little earlier than you absolutely have to and have the car well under control through the turns instead of on the ragged edge, which allows early acceleration through and out of the corner. That seems especially to be the case on the 1st chicane, the next double left and the very final corner.

Back