Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,484 comments
Yesss. This TT is pure joy
IMG_5897.jpeg

Silly Skoda is silly. At least it didn't take long.

Also, just installed a load cell mod on the G29, thought it was worth a shot since it's impossible to get any good feel with the stock pedals. Hoping it gets me more interested in these TTs again. :D
Let us know how this feels on the G29, I've been debating getting one or not although I don't use it much anyway

I was able to sneak into gold with the Silly Skoda and its giant airbrakes myself last night in about 40 laps. The first session of 21L surprised me when I discovered I was 7/100ths from the gold threshold. I said what the hell and ran off another 11 hunting a couple more of those hundredths. Didn't find them then. Took a short break, came back for another 10 or so laps and found about 4/10ths, for a 36.3 and that's enough of that thing. I did like the sound it makes rounding the bends on my stereo system. Low pitched drone morphing into that high pitch whine. Sounds even better on the replays. 12 hours for that time to hold up for the 2mil.

@PlanetJanet I'd be interested in the details on your load cell mod, if your amenable to sharing them that is.

@PlanetJanet I'd be interested in the details on your load cell mod, if your amenable to sharing them that is.
Of course! I went with TrueBrake: https://www.axc-sim.com/product/brake-pedal-mod-for-logitech-g29-g920-g27-g25-pedals/

Technically not a load cell but it feels very much like one.

The thinking was that I'd love a DD wheel but with two small kids and two full time working adults in the house, I really don't have the space or desire for a fixed rig, and I don't believe the Playseat will manage the force very well. Having tried one, I found the pedals were more impressive than the wheel itself, then I came across this mod with a lot of good feedback and thought since it's only £65, I may as well give it a go!

First impressions are good, it feels much more natural and sensitive, I never could trail brake with the stock pedals but now it makes some sense. It will take some getting used to though, it requires much more force!

Of course! I went with TrueBrake: https://www.axc-sim.com/product/brake-pedal-mod-for-logitech-g29-g920-g27-g25-pedals/

The thinking was that I'd love a DD wheel but with two small kids and two full time working adults in the house, I really don't have the space or desire for a fixed rig, and I don't believe the Playseat will manage the force very well. Having tried one, I found the pedals were more impressive than the wheel itself, then I came across this mod with a lot of good feedback and thought since it's only £65, I may as well give it a go!

First impressions are good, it feels much more natural and sensitive, I never could trail brake with the stock pedals but now it makes some sense. It will take some getting used to though, it requires much more force!
Im also interested in this, same scenario

Keep the g29 vanilla
Spend 70€ for the brake in the short
Save for the long term DD
?

It's quite a daily question which often don't get the same answer

zjn

Keep the g29 vanilla
?

I feel ya! All depends whether it's about money or something else. Even after just a little session, I'd say the interim solution is worth it if money isn't the issue. That vanilla G29 brake pedal is a bit pants really.

I feel ya! All depends whether it's about money or something else. Even after just a little session, I'd say the interim solution is worth it if money isn't the issue. That vanilla G29 brake pedal is a bit pants really.
It's a bit of everything.
For sure DD is 100% money. It will come eventually, but not before couple of years.
Brake upgrade is achievable, but I also have to solve the "rig" issue. Right now the chair is free to move.

I know that everyone says that brake is a better improvement than wheel even though I was more impressed by the wheel feeling when i tried the Dd of a friend of mine.
This plus the cost/reward of the brake upgrade are puzzling me

Let us know how this feels on the G29, I've been debating getting one or not although I don't use it much anyway
Truebrake user here. Money well spent. It really does what it says it does. Plenty of adjustment options to get it to suit you.

If you considering getting one, I'd recommend it. Totally transformed my G29.

At first braking will feel strange. As your muscle memory builds, it will all just start feeling so natural.

Play around with the different springs and the buffers. I know it can be a pain to swop it out each time, but it's worth your effort.
I started with the pre installed spring and the medium buffer.

I eventually settled for the hardest spring and the largest buffer which makes the pedal as stiff as possible.

zjn

Keep the g29 vanilla
?

It's worth the small investment on the brake mod in the mean time.

Currently looking to upgrade to DD and if I do go Logitech, I do not see the need to buy the load cell pedals. I'm happy with my G29 pedals. It's a win win situation as it's one less item for me to import.

Wow, suddenly everything clicked for me in the Skoda at the Glen!
Did some quick laps and lowered my time with a few thousands, until when I had a lap where I didn’t screw anything up and got myself sub 1:36. Beat my record with over 0.7 seconds down to 1:35.932, so that is most likely a safe gold.
Really pleased with that lap, my optimal was just around 1 tenth lower!

Now on to make puns about the Afeela, and also maybe drive a few laps in it…

Last edited:
First evening in the Škoda. Done? Not sure, maybe...

View attachment 1353724
Yeah, I was done. Pleasantly surprised with the high position! Didn’t expect that. Threw ASM on for this particular run, though I went back and forth, felt like it helped a bit with rotation in the corners after the chicane, perhaps less so in the final two corners though. Particular car, not something to everyone’s tastes as I understand it, I didn’t mind it that much though, no big sentiments either way. At least it has quite some speed which I like. Going down a tad much speedwise as we move on to the AFEELA, I fear...

20970683441911610.jpg

zjn
I know that everyone says that brake is a better improvement than wheel even though I was more impressed by the wheel feeling when i tried the Dd of a friend of mine.
Been there before.
If improvement means faster lap times, my conclusion is; “Over one lap”, I don’t think brake upgrade will make anyone faster. Yes loadcell gives you more “consistency” overall and more “trust feeling” especially with trail braking but this means you will be slightly faster in a race / in a back to back laps situation (long run).
Back in my iracing days (wow I was young and single once:D) time trial times were calculated with the combination of 3 laps in a row (if I remember right). Load cell guys were telling how they shaved half a second immediately etc. When I switched from my old stock g27, my improvement was only 0.2secs. Over one lap nearly identical.
If improvement means immersion, I definitely recommend getting both the dd wheel and load cell (or the brake mods mentioned above)

Last edited:
I was not prepared to upgrade to the load cell on the G29 so I started by replacing the spring and rubber in the brake piston. I found the big improvement over stock was to eliminate the dead zone at the start of pedal travel. Then I eliminated the spring to put in a block of rubber, much softer than the stock. Now the travel and resistance of the pedal is only due to the rubber compressing. The pedal travel is less than 1/4 of the total available movement. Test the pedal movement so that the pedal moves about 10mm at full foot pressure. Now go into the calibration menu of GT7 and calibrate the pedal travel so your maximum foot pressure is 100% braking.

The brake application is quite linear and reaches maximum at full foot pressure. My rubber block is a cylinder of plastic eraser (Staedtler) about 20mm long and 10mm in diameter, then a solid wood dowel to fill the rest of the space in the piston. The only downside is with the reduced pedal travel the braking modulation is more coarse.

Cost is a couple of bucks, and you would spend the same amount of time getting the foot feel you want with a load cell.

I was not prepared to upgrade to the load cell on the G29 so I started by replacing the spring and rubber in the brake piston. I found the big improvement over stock was to eliminate the dead zone at the start of pedal travel. Then I eliminated the spring to put in a block of rubber, much softer than the stock. Now the travel and resistance of the pedal is only due to the rubber compressing. The pedal travel is less than 1/4 of the total available movement. Test the pedal movement so that the pedal moves about 10mm at full foot pressure. Now go into the calibration menu of GT7 and calibrate the pedal travel so your maximum foot pressure is 100% braking.

The brake application is quite linear and reaches maximum at full foot pressure. My rubber block is a cylinder of plastic eraser (Staedtler) about 20mm long and 10mm in diameter, then a solid wood dowel to fill the rest of the space in the piston. The only downside is with the reduced pedal travel the braking modulation is more coarse.

Cost is a couple of bucks, and you would spend the same amount of time getting the foot feel you want with a load cell.
I had read about this method and watched videos on it because I was half tempted to do this short term, but the two things for me not to do this were..

The rubber eraser becomes brittle over time and you have to replace it.

And although GT7 has a pedal calibration in the settings, not all other games do, meaning that I would have to change it back to use on some other games.

I'm feeling good about this Afeela TT, I clocked in a 2'20.113 on my 7th lap already so I'm feeling 80% confident about earning gold this time.

Uh-oh, Weathertech Raceway? What's the car they provided for us? I hope it's a Group 2 challenge.

Truebrake user here. Money well spent. It really does what it says it does. Plenty of adjustment options to get it to suit you.

If you considering getting one, I'd recommend it. Totally transformed my G29.
do you have a complete station? i only have the steering wheel part, and i use an ikea chair. I will have to find a way to make it integral with the rest, even now with the standard G29 it tends to slide back.
It's worth the small investment on the brake mod in the mean time.

Currently looking to upgrade to DD and if I do go Logitech, I do not see the need to buy the load cell pedals. I'm happy with my G29 pedals. It's a win win situation as it's one less item for me to import.
Are you saying that the final solution might be modded pedals + DD logitech steering wheel, so as to minimize the cost of switching to DD? You can only do that if brand of pedals and steering wheel is the same, I guess.
Been there before.
If improvement means faster lap times, my conclusion is; “Over one lap”, I don’t think brake upgrade will make anyone faster. Yes loadcell gives you more “consistency” overall and more “trust feeling” especially with trail braking but this means you will be slightly faster in a race / in a back to back laps situation (long run).
Back in my iracing days (wow I was young and single once:D) time trial times were calculated with the combination of 3 laps in a row (if I remember right). Load cell guys were telling how they shaved half a second immediately etc. When I switched from my old stock g27, my improvement was only 0.2secs. Over one lap nearly identical.
If improvement means immersion, I definitely recommend getting both the dd wheel and load cell (or the brake mods mentioned above)

What does "improvement" mean is a much more complicated question than it seems.... it is easy to use the word, but then one reads behind it what one wants.
Let's see... I would tell you that for me improvement means being more regular, limiting errors, lowering times.
I understand that none of these things are "equipment limited", in fact, they are all definitely limited by me. This forum is full of people who would put gold sleeping even using the Wii wheel, so obviously it is not the equipment alone that makes the difference, but if it helps then it is welcome.
To date the biggest limitations I see in the G29 are the feel for figuring out how much the grip changes (it is all very soft, although I have to say that I "feel" things now that I didn't a year ago with the same equipment) and the naturalness of the brake (on this I actually have no evidence, I can only say that the pedal travel is very wide, but I have to trust those who say that muscle memory of pressure is better than muscle memory of movement)

So, in short... it's my birthday in a few months, you're almost convincing me to put the pedal mod in the pot. I'm just a few pushes away

Back