UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 799 comments
Atletico 1-1 Man United
Benfica 2-2 Ajax

Joao Felix with a great diving header which put Atletico ahead after just seven minutes, United were rubbish in the first half but improved in the second, Anthony Elanga came off the bench to score his first CL goal on his CL debut 10 minutes from time to equalize.

Sebastian Haller went from villain to hero in the space of four minutes when he own goal-ed and scored, Dusan Tadic put Ajax in front but Roman Yaremchuk got the eventual equalizer for Benfica.

So today UEFA confirmed that this years Champions League final will not take place in St Petersburg, this is because of Russia's military involvement/invasion in Ukraine.

They haven't announced a new venue but they will in the next few days.

This years Champions League final will take place at Stade De France in Paris. The date and time hasn't changed so its still 28th May at 8pm GMT.

UEFA are seeking legal advice about removing Gazprom as one of its sponsors.

Champions League is back this week with the second legs.

Tuesday.
Bayern Munich v RB Salzburg (1-1)
Liverpool v Inter Milan (2-0)

Wednesday.
Man City v Sporting Lisbon (5-0)
Real Madrid v PSG (0-1)

All games kick off at 8pm GMT. Also a reminder that there is no away goals rule.

Liverpool 0-1 Inter Milan (Liverpool win 2-1 on aggregate)
Bayern Munich 7-1 RB Salzburg (Bayern win 8-2 on aggregate)

Liverpool not at their best but did enough to go through, a Lautaro Martinez second half gives Inter the win on the night but Liverpool go through thanks to that 2-0 in the first leg, Liverpool did everything but score though as they hit the bar and post, Inter had Sanchez harshly sent off.

Lewandowski scored a hat-trick inside the first 23 minutes with two penalties, two from Muller and one each from Gnabry and Sane completed the rout and a place in the quarter finals for Bayern.

What a game Real Madrid-PSG was.

PSG with the game in hand, and they bottle it, again. One mistake by Donnaruma changed the game completely, with RM winning in the end by 3-1.

Old man Modric still outrunning youngsters, what a player. This game reminded me of how good and dangerous Real were from 2013 to 2018, when no game was lost until it was over. Though, I feel like against a Man City or a Liverpool, things will be a lot harder.

But man, this is why I love the UCL.

What a game Real Madrid-PSG was.

PSG with the game in hand, and they bottle it, again. One mistake by Donnaruma changed the game completely, with RM winning in the end by 3-1.

Old man Modric still outrunning youngsters, what a player. This game reminded me of how good and dangerous Real were from 2013 to 2018, when no game was lost until it was over. Though, I feel like against a Man City or a Liverpool, things will be a lot harder.

But man, this is why I love the UCL.
I imagine the crowd was going nuts during that second half.

PSG were 2-0 up on agg and cruising then Benzema scores a second half hat-trick!

City-Lisbon was 0-0, City didn't need to do anything as the tie was over in the first leg...

That was one hell of a football match!

Even though PSG were really good in periods, Real never gave up and continued to press and it worked wonders! Love to see it! :D

I imagine the crowd was going nuts during that second half.
Once the first RM goal went in, yeah, the stadium lit up.

The game was getting fairly low paced at that point, with PSG completely controling the game. But one mistake not only gave away the first goal, but woke up the crowd and RM players became a lot more confident. For a brief moment PSG nearly got the game back under control, yet Real scored soon after starting with a brilliant run by Modric, and then the third goal 1 minute later. Epic game really.

And here I was in the first half thinking "PSG looking good, complete control over the game, good on possession, always dangerous, they really seem like a contender this year". And then boom. :lol:

Benzema the pedo has been incredible this season, came up huge this game (despite psg handing it to him).

That howler and Navas are why Donnarumma warms the bench in Paris. I hope he learns from this and doesn't have any issues with the National team. Portugal must have noticed.

Disappointing to see PSG gift the whole thing away in less than half an hour and ****ing bottling it again. Donnarumma with that mistake and also Marquinhos with the freaking assist for 3-1. A soft pass in towards your own central penalty area. Unbelievable.

Never understood why they got Pochettino in the first place. Perhaps it’s happened at some point in the past but I can’t recall a situation in a similarly high profile team where you have two goalkeepers of similar quality basically switching between every other match — I think this might’ve also been a factor in Gigi’s mistake which then could be extended to Pochettino and his inability to chose a goalkeeper.

More Champions League knockouts this week.

Tuesday.
Ajax v Benfica (2-2)
Man United v Atletico Madrid (1-1)

Wednesday.
Lille v Chelsea (0-2)
Juventus v Villarreal (1-1)

Man United 0-1 Atletico Madrid (Atletico win 1-2 on agg)
Ajax 0-1 Benfica (Benfica win 2-3 on agg)
Lille 1-2 Chelsea (Chelsea win 1-4 on agg)
Juventus 0-3 Villarreal (Villarreal win 1-4 on agg)

Another bad performance from United sees Atletico through, Lodi with the first half goal there, Ajax surprisingly out thanks to Darwin Nunez second half goal for Benfica, Chelsea cruised through thanks to goals from Pulisic and Azpilicueta on the night, Villarreal pulled off a bit of a shock with a big win in Turin, all three goals came in the last 15 minutes there!

Last edited:
Quarter-final and Semi-final draw done.

Quarter-final:

Benfica - Liverpool
Manchester City - Atletico Madrid
Villarreal - Bayern
Chelsea - Real Madrid

Semi-final:

Winner of City/Atletico - Winner of Chelsea/Real
Winner of Benfica/Liverpool - Winner of Villarreal/Bayern

Right now, City and Liverpool seem to be the favorites to reach the final. As a Benfica supporter, I see barely any chances of going past Liverpool. :boggled:

Chelsea cant sell tickets for their home leg due to the sanctions on Abrahamovic.

Champions League is back this week with the first legs of the quarter finals.

Tuesday.
Benfica v Liverpool
Man City v Atletico Madrid

Wednesday.
Chelsea v Real Madrid
Villarreal v Bayern Munich

all games kick off at 8pm GMT.

Benfica 1-3 Liverpool
City 1-0 Atletico

Pretty comfortable night for Liverpool with Konate, Mane and Diaz all scoring, Benfica did cause them a few problems with Nunez scoring for them but the tie is pretty much done now.

City were made to work hard against a very defensive and organised Atletico team, De Bruyne scored on 70 mins but it should have been more, Atletico only had one shot on goal and frustrated the hosts.

Chelsea 1-3 Real Madrid
Villareal 1-0 Bayern

Another Benzema hat-trick gives Real a nice lead going into the second leg, some poor goalkeeping and defending lead to a couple of the goals, Havertz with Chelsea's goal.

Danjuma scored for Villareal as they beat Bayern in a nice win.

Dramatic night tonight.

Real Madrid 2-3 Chelsea (after extra time, Real win 5-4 on agg)
Bayern Munich 1-1 Villarreal (Villarreal win 2-1 on agg)

A thrilling game at the Bernabeu saw Chelsea go 0-3 up at one point with goals from Mount, Rudiger and Werner but Rodrygo made it 4-4 overall to take the game to extra time, then the ever reliable Benzema scored to make it 5-4, great effort from Chelsea to overturn the first leg deficit initially though.

Villarreal have knocked out Bayern! Lewandowski put Bayern ahead on the night and it looked it it was going to extra time but Chukwueze equalised in the 88th minute and that put Villarreal through on aggregate!

Another dramatic night.

Liverpool 3-3 Benfica (Liverpool win 6-4)
Atletico 0-0 Man City (City win 0-1)

It was a much changed Liverpool team from the City game on Sunday (they have a cup game against city on Saturday) but they still went 3-1 up thanks to two goals from Firmino and Konate with the other, Ramos got Benfica's first equaliser with Yaremchuk making it 3-2 before Nunez made it 3-3 on 81 minutes so it was a nervy last 10-15 mins for Liverpool but whilst it was a good effort on the night from Benfica they gave themselves too much to do and Liverpool go through.

Very tense and feisty game in Madrid, Atletico came out fighting (almost literally!) and had chances but so did City and City were never comfortable, things got nasty towards the end when Felipe was sent off for Atleti and there were a few tempers boiling over, Savic appeared to headbutt Foden and pull Grealish's hair but somehow managed to stay on the pitch, there was a tunnel bust up at full time involving both sets of players and Police.

Revised semi final draw.

Man City v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Villarreal

Quite surprised at how quiet this thread has been lately, only me posting for almost a month.

Semi final first legs are this week.

Man City v Real Madrid is on Tuesday with Liverpool v Villarreal on Wednesday, both games kick off at 8pm GMT.

Back