Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
I bet you all know that there's an unpopular opinions thread in the Motorsports and Rumble Strip forum, but none for the Cars in General section. So, I decided to make a thread for uncommon opinions about cars. Title says it all: post your opinions that you think are unpopular regarding all things automotive.

Here are a few of my own:

• Most modified cars today (especially the Japanese ones) are too low.
  • Compared to other engines, V8's aren't all that great.
  • Front-wheel drive isn't terrible in many cases.
  • Almost all current BMW M models and Mercedes AMG cars aren't that cool and lack the charm they had in the 80's and 90's.
  • The 90's was not the worst decade for cars.
  • If I had to choose between a 60's European sports car with 130 horsepower or a 60's American muscle car with three times that power, I'd easily go with the sports car.

I bet you all know that there's an unpopular opinions thread in the Motorsports and Rumble Strip forum, but none for the Cars in General section. So, I decided to make a thread for uncommon opinions about cars. Title says it all: post your opinions that you think are unpopular regarding all things automotive.

Here are a few of my own:

• Most modified cars today (especially the Japanese ones) are too low.
  • Compared to other engines, V8's aren't all that great.
  • Front-wheel drive isn't terrible in many cases.
  • Almost all current BMW M models and Mercedes AMG cars aren't that cool and lack the charm they had in the 80's and 90's.
  • The 90's was not the worst decade for cars.
  • If I had to choose between a 60's European sports car with 130 horsepower or a 60's American muscle car with three times that power, I'd easily go with the sports car.
I agree with everything there except the M models being uncool. I like 'em. :)

• Current day Lamborghini's aren't desirable to me
  • Every V12 Ferrari after the 599 GTB and Enzo doesn't sound very good, they all sound a bit OTT and not very natural now.
  • Apart from the lightweights (360 CS, 430S, 458S) modern V8 Ferraris don't do anything for me
  • VAG cars bore me
  • Most M/RS/AMG cars have too much power
  • The modern ultracars (918, P1, LaFerrari) are all less desirable then their predecessors
  • F50>F40

Mustangs shouldn't be revered as much as they are.
VL Commodores are good, but I'd take a VF anyday.
The Nissan Cube is an awesome car.
I don't like the original Porsche 911.
The F50 is the worst looking Ferrari ever made.

• I'd have an obscure tuner variation of a common Japanese performance car instead of a modern "entry level" exotic car
  • Baring the second generation, the design of the Prius is rather nice
  • Modifying weak cars when higher trim levels that are more potent and are readily available only makes you look like a pointless special snowflake

• The sound of Ford's Voodoo V8 is extremely overrated. I know it's a subjective thing, but it just doesn't sound all that good to me.
  • The C4 is my favorite generation of Corvette.

I actually kind of like the Chrysler PT Cruiser. Wouldn't buy it, but I don't mind seeing it on the road.

-I like Vtec a lot
-DCTs can have the same involvment as manuals, but only in certain cars.
-I love 3-cylinders and 4 cylinders
-I think 6 cylinders engines sound the best, generally.
-Motorcycles provide more fun than cars.

I am doubting if I should hate cars like Spyker because of it's leather unless we have a choice to pick interiors with less or no leathers. Saying that, animals should be used as little as possible today in industry. No I'm not one of those "you're not vegan you deserve hell" people

Almost every car BMW, Audi and Mercedes makes now look identical to me bar the bodystyle.
The Second Gen Prius (2003-2009) is one of the best looking modern Toyota's
The Ferrari 458 is better thah the 488

Volkswagens are very poorly made cars.
The Mclaren F1 is boring.
Ferrari has been going downhill since 2005 (after the Enzo).
Porsche has been getting worse post-997 era.
F1 is not exciting to watch.

Most modified cars look terrible.
Concept cars are awesome.
The Ferrari 488 is ugly.
Old (and a lot of modern) American cars are ****.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Prii looked ok.
Modern Japanese cars, apart from Mazdas, are ugly.

The Citroen C4 Cactus looks quirky and I like it.
Speaking of which, compact crossovers (HR-V, CX-3, C-HR etc.) are generally okay in my books.
The thought of owning a Volvo does not appeal to me, I perceive it as brand which appeals to old people.
Modern automatic gearboxes are showing manual gearboxes are a dated concept in performance cars.
Premium superminis (Minis, 500s, DS3s etc.) are my guilty pleasure.
Cars with 12 or more cylinders are unnecessary in the real world.

Engines have no idea what name is on their valve covers.

DOHC and VVT technology go mostly wasted by a typical driver who never exceeds 5k RPM on fears of hurting their car.

Repeating myself from the other thread: The slowest manual transmission car is ultimately more rewarding to drive than the sportiest automatic transmission car.

The noise of a cross-plane crankshaft V8 is not very appealing. V8s in general are overplayed for performance cars.

Anti-lock brakes are a liability in slippery conditions. For the winter I'm safer with the ABS fuse pulled.

Fully autonomous cars might never work, basically for the same reason that the image identification reCAPTCHA exists. They also won't ever be suitable for farmers, contractors, and anyone else who goes off-road and can end up in odd places not just for recreation, but for their job.

Living in a city warps your perception of how much trucks/SUVs are actually used for more than just commuting to the store.

• The F50 is a far more appealing ownership proposition than the overrated F40
  • The Ferrari 360 was a beautiful car.
  • BMW's same-sausage-different-lengths approach in the 90's apparently was a challenge Merc and Audi picked up for the 2010's. It's nearly impossible to tell their current lineups apart, and they suffer for it.
  • Meanwhile, BMW's chase for sales numbers have turned their cars boring.

• The Ferrari 360 was a beautiful car.
Especially.....
c440923082012101448_1.jpg

just kidding
ferrari-challenge-stradale-c893004052016222236_5.jpg

Almost every car BMW, Audi and Mercedes makes now look identical to me bar the bodystyle.
Sadly, Jaguar is going on that road.

I wonder why there aren't muscle cars on autogespot

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back