What Type Of Engine Drivetrain do You drive FF, FR, AWD, MR?

• Thread starter Rx7fatboy
  • 39 comments
Originally posted by sundog
Never driven a current grunty AWD. :( Only been a passenger.

Yeah - must admit the Big Blue Super Sube could probably handle another 150hp without a problem - but then you think 'do I really need to be doing this faster' and as you just miss that bus that pulled out in front of you you realise 'no I don't'...

:D Same attitude here. The older I get the slower I drive (in real life). Just not in a rush to have an accident anymore. I let them come to me now. :)

Wouldn't mind spending some track time on the weekends. Just don't have the budget to run a car specifically for it, and not interested in running a day to day car on the track.

Want a grunty weekend car like an older porcshe 911. (Early 80's model in good nick) Ahhh to dream.

:D
Want a grunty weekend car like an older porcshe 911. (Early 80's model in good nick) Ahhh to dream.

I must admit I have my heart set on a 3.0 litre manual Bavarian, the midsized sedan from the mid seventies. No accounting for taste...

:embarrassed:

Ahh there's been some excellant views expressed in this post so far. In my opinion different drive train setups work best for different amounts of power. FF is good for low power engines, FR for med to high, and MR for med to high powered engines. AWD is good for low to med (although I'm sure people will disagree with that one.)

I personally like a medium to high powered FR car. I like small controlled power slides.

Another thing to note is there are two main types of AWD. Those that transfere most of their power to the front, and the remainder to the rear like a 85/15 split (eg, EVO, WRX, etc) and those that split most of their power to the rear wheels, and the remainder to the front, eg more like 15/85 (like the Skyline). Both handle extremely differently IMHO, taking on a lot of characteristics from either a FF, or FR. I prefer the later of the two(in case you couldn't guess), but find you still tend to suffer from understeer in them.

Regardless of whether you like small controlled power slides and that they are fun to do, they will inevitably hurt your lap times .....MR is the ultimate layout for a diehard:eek:

:D Same attitude here. The older I get the slower I drive (in real life). Just not in a rush to have an accident anymore. I let them come to me now. :)

Wouldn't mind spending some track time on the weekends. Just don't have the budget to run a car specifically for it, and not interested in running a day to day car on the track.

Echo that. One car on it's roof is enough for me. :P Besides, for me, it ain't about MPH; it's about just driving. Me, the car, the road... all one. Hell, sometimes, here in NH, just keeping it on the road at ANY speed can be quite the challenge/thrill.

Originally posted by Schumy

Regardless of whether you like small controlled power slides and that they are fun to do, they will inevitably hurt your lap times .....MR is the ultimate layout for a diehard:eek:

Hmmm I'm going to reserve judgement on that comment. I'm simply not in a position to say which drivetrain is best. Like I said before I really think it depends on the application. (track/weather conditions/power of car)

I'd have to argue about the comment on power slides, and laptimes however. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying four wheel slides at 90 degrees through each corner will be faster. I'd say that extremely judicious use of power slides into corners can make certain cars travel faster through a corner than they would normally.

(I base my argument on laptime trials in the Tom's Castrol Supra on Time Trial mountian. To acheive fastest lap times inducing small slides into corners increased corner speed and overall laptime.)

Its probably just not a good sustainable practice is all. :P

Hmmm I'm going to reserve judgement on that comment. I'm simply not in a position to say which drivetrain is best. Like I said before I really think it depends on the application. (track/weather conditions/power of car)

I'd have to argue about the comment on power slides, and laptimes however. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying four wheel slides at 90 degrees through each corner will be faster. I'd say that extremely judicious use of power slides into corners can make certain cars travel faster through a corner than they would normally.

(I base my argument on laptime trials in the Tom's Castrol Supra on Time Trial mountian. To acheive fastest lap times inducing small slides into corners increased corner speed and overall laptime.)

Its probably just not a good sustainable practice is all. :P

i can see what you mean if it's a small slide with a FR b/c i probably do it too when i'm pushing hard but you initially referred to it as power slide which didn't seem like the right terminology....but i understand what you're saying
i am still convinced that MR is the ultimate layout b/c you can't achieve the agility and the same level of driver communication with any other layout......upon entry into corners it is a disadvantage to have the engine in the front b/c there is much inertia due to the mass of the engine....this results in the car feeling a bit slugglish even with proper tuning compared to the MR
The only time i would opt for another layout is in the rain or in wet conditions where i would choose an AWD (Pennzoil Skyline)
OR IN RALLY!

I think you've sold me. I might have to go out and buy a NSX and try these concepts out.
my friend and i are ridiculously equal in terms of our driver skill although he has the edge in the tuning department, but nevertheless we both know the advantages of the MR.....we have had countless classic races against each other using the NSX and the the RUF 3400S (me driving the latter of the two) and ocassionally we switch just to get a feel for our rival.......although we match both cars well in terms of performance he agrees that my car is more fun to drive........i don't know what i'm trying to get at but try more mid-engined cars than the NSX
When I first started playing the original GT i hated MR and only used 4WD cars but in GT2 i gave them a try b/c i had always known that they were slightly adventageous over other layouts and i got better and now i rarely use anything else .....they really are addicting ...SO AGILE!
Another MR to try is the motorsports elise.......set this little machine up properly and you basically have a 300+hp shifter-cart :D

Back