Which book are you currently reading?

I’m just glad I read LOTR as a kid before the Jackson movies because it was nice to be able to construct the characters and places from the text using imagination rather than relying on visuals from the movies. My second recent reading of the trilogy, however, was much more enjoyable (as an adult) but I used the voices and characters from the movies because I couldn’t get them out of my head.

I'm currently working through A Clash of Kings

I’m just glad I read LOTR as a kid before the Jackson movies because it was nice to be able to construct the characters and places from the text using imagination rather than relying on visuals from the movies. My second recent reading of the trilogy, however, was much more enjoyable (as an adult) but I used the voices and characters from the movies because I couldn’t get them out of my head.

I found that the LOTR movies recreated quite faithfully what I had in my head already. Actually that was one of the most amazing things about those movies - the number of people who felt that their imaginations had been splashed right on screen. I think that mostly has to do with how descriptive Tolkien is.

I found that the LOTR movies recreated quite faithfully what I had in my head already. Actually that was one of the most amazing things about those movies - the number of people who felt that their imaginations had been splashed right on screen. I think that mostly has to do with how descriptive Tolkien is.

Oh, absolutely. The worst thing about reading Tolkien is picking up the next book and realising that not much comes close to his ability to write. I read Dune after the LOTR and while I enjoyed it, it’s so easy to see that the storytelling and descriptive skills of Tolkien are rarely matched by others. The only thing that springs to mind that could be on the same level is perhaps something like The Odyssey, and nobody’s sure who actually “wrote” that.

6BE83AE9-DC42-480A-B54E-ED9D15E621C6.jpeg

I mostly read books on motorsport history - sometimes reading about the same era from the viewpoint of the driver, mechanic, team owner and others etc. One good book will often cite other books which I can enjoy and gain a new perspective from.

I have just, today finished reading "Walt Hansgen - his life and the history of post-war American road racing" by Michael Argetsinger. I can't remember the exact price, but it seemed like great value and I would strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in 1950's and 1960's sports car racing. To a modern reader the desperate desire and efforts of the SCCA to keep American motorsport amateur seem unbelievable.

Today I will start reading "Lola the illustrated history 1957 to 1977.

Story of a German (Austrian) MG42 machinegunner fighting on the eastern front, from 43 to 45.

Whats really interesting is that book also covers the experiences made in Russian captivity, accounts of that are rare simply because so many Germans died from hardship working in Siberia or were eventually executed. Overall a heartbreaking, but important story that should not be forgotten.

2tZiw37.jpg

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe.

Not my usual kind of book, it was leant to me by a friend. The journalist style reminds me of Dracula (which, thinking about it, I’d love to read again), and I thought it was a bit boring to begin with but I’m growing to like the quaint descriptive nature of it.

Since I recently picked up a Kindle, I have been reading more. I am about half way through:

41w8a6TIM7L.jpg
I have those books What If? and Thing Explainer. They're kind of cute and funny for a bit but the novelty unfortunately wore off quickly. I thought Thing Explainer would actually give factual information just in a funny way but it's nothing but jokes.

Diving back into Wilkie Collins. I've read a few of his books and a whole bunch of shorts, but this one is new to me.

9781976336744_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

I'm currently reading Stephen King's The Stand and while King's books dont usually scare me this one does. That's mostly because I started coming down with a cold shortly after starting it. :lol: ....... :nervous:

51CYXA-5JuL.jpg

I'm not much of a book reader, but I did really like reading through the Long Goodbye, so I'm currently reading through other Philip Marlowe stories.

I'm currently reading Stephen King's The Stand and while King's books dont usually scare me this one does. That's mostly because I started coming down with a cold shortly after starting it. :lol: ....... :nervous:
Better watch out for captain trips....

I recently have kinda hit a wall with reading. I finished and refinished a couple of Brandon Sanderson series, Star
Starsight (a great scifi book that follows up from Skyward) and Oathbringer, the most recent book in the Stormlight Archive series. I am kinda listening through the Licanius series again as the third book had recently been released, but it's just not holding my attention, same with reading in general. Maybe once we are moved and life isnt so chaotic.

Haven't done a lot of reading over the past year or so. Recently picked this up at the shops. It's one I've been wanting to check out for a while now.

Andromeda strain.jpg

I just finished "The Long Walk" by Stephen King a day ago. Such an underrated Stephen King book, loved every bit of it.
Ahhh, a good ol Richard Bachman novel. Idk if it's all that underrated. Even though it wasnt published until 79, it was actually the first book he wrote having started it in 66, a full 8 years before Kings first published book, Carrie. Its listed as one of the best teen/young adult books published in the 1900s. It might not be Cujo or The Shining level of popular, but its definitely well known in the literary world for sure.

Back