Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Blossomed, when referring to a person, particularly a teenager.

As one person who messaged a radio station put it, about her 13 year old daughter:

"She's blossomed into a lovely young woman."

No. Stop. It's not cute, and it goes beyond cringe worthy; it's  creepy.

Blossomed should only be used to refer to plants.

Roo
Blossomed, when referring to a person [...]

"Therefore, we'll have to give her fertilizer, pesticides, and later splice her, to create lovely hybrids."

(I guess we can legitimately put an F1 joke in there.)

Last edited:
Roo
Blossomed, when referring to a person, particularly a teenager.

As one person who messaged a radio station put it, about her 13 year old daughter:

No. Stop. It's not cute, and it goes beyond cringe worthy; it's  creepy.

Blossomed should only be used to refer to plants.
The Daily Mail wants to know your location.

Betterment

When you need a big important word, but you've already said "improvement" too many times, and need one a toddler could suddenly make up. A lofty idea using a seemingly fake word.

Last edited:
Admin.

Specifically, brand Social Media accounts referring to the person in charge of the account as "Admin", rather than just accepting it's a brand and being treated as such. I don't need to read banter about "admin is away, post something else", or "admin photo dump". Just stop.

Last edited:
Cold and Coldest.

Congratulations, you have managed to ruin the word and metaphor of "Cool" meaning good. I utterly hate seeing things that are "good" described as being Cold. How can polar opposites in Hot and Cold both mean good?

At least with "Hot" and "Cool", it's easy to emphasise the word in a way that can make it sound the way you want, but Cold just has too many negative connotations and such a hard sound to end the word that there's no way of even making it sound good.

Cold and Coldest.

Congratulations, you have managed to ruin the word and metaphor of "Cool" meaning good. I utterly hate seeing things that are "good" described as being Cold. How can polar opposites in Hot and Cold both mean good?

At least with "Hot" and "Cool", it's easy to emphasise the word in a way that can make it sound the way you want, but Cold just has too many negative connotations and such a hard sound to end the word that there's no way of even making it sound good.
7ueko8.jpg

Cold and Coldest.

I’ve never heard that. Thankfully.

Who and where are these kind of expressions coming from?

I’ve never heard that. Thankfully.

Who and where are these kind of expressions coming from?
Spoiler because I'm just choosing videos which appeared in a search, so no NSFW check has been done.

Its been years since I have heard that expression used that way. If anything, I only hear it used to describe someone's personality or how someone acts.

"Content Creator"

I get it, especially when you do Twitch, Youtube and other sort of platforms and want to bunch it under one name.

However, there is a side of me that thinks this a term made for the insecure who think "Youtuber" means they won't be taken seriously. Like how people would describe kid shows as "family shows", or comic books as "graphic novels".

"Content Creator"

I get it, especially when you do Twitch, Youtube and other sort of platforms and want to bunch it under one name.

However, there is a side of me that thinks this a term made for the insecure who think "Youtuber" means they won't be taken seriously. Like how people would describe kid shows as "family shows", or comic books as "graphic novels".
Content creator is just a dumb name in general because the word "content" describes literally anything. A video game producer is producing content, a literary critic is producing content, a financial analyst creating a report is producing content.

It's such a non-descriptor and it bugs me lol. But I know it's generally accepted nowadays that "content creator" means influencers in the digital space.

Last edited:
I'll take the term 'content creator' over 'influencer' every day of the week. While I agree content creator is about as vague as it gets, influencer implies the person has some importance to them.

Last edited:
The term celebrity falls into the category of words I hate because celebrity seems to be attached to anyone that’s had media spotlight or some press.

It’s in the word, for Pete’s sake, “celebrate”. Nobody on Celebrity Love Brother, or whatever the reality TV is these days, is remotely celebrated.

Real celebrities are those at the top of their game; musicians, actors and actresses, athletes, those that are household names internationally.

The term celebrity falls into the category of words I hate because celebrity seems to be attached to anyone that’s had media spotlight or some press.

It’s in the word, for Pete’s sake, “celebrate”. Nobody on Celebrity Love Brother, or whatever the reality TV is these days, is remotely celebrated.

Real celebrities are those at the top of their game; musicians, actors and actresses, athletes, those that are household names internationally.
Just like anyone who ever appeared in any bit role in a movie or TV show is a "star".

Latest Posts

Back