You Can Buy Gran Turismo's Insane TVR Cerbera Speed 12 When it Heads to Auction in May

• Thread starter Famine
  • 44 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Last edited:
If it ever comes to GT7, it will be one of the 20,000,000-Cr. (or higher) Hagerty's unicorns.

I would put a pound down on it, but I can't import it to the US for another 2 years.

Last edited:
Many of us first learned of it in PGR2, where it was the pinnacle all-Platinum prize car. Later, a “sympathy version” was released as DLC so everyone could use it.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind this coming to GT7 just looks like it would fit right into that game. I’d love to take it around Trial Mountain. Or Goodwood.

Shame he's selling both off them. I know he sold the original body a few years ago. Hopefully the new owner looks after BHG and the engine, being the only one in existence. I believe it was one of the reasons it didn't drive about so much and kept in the museum. And maybe that's why BFV was created. Also BFV's engine was dyno'd on the exact dyno the Speed 12's engine broke all those years ago.

edit: BFV is not for sale. Just BHV.

Last edited:
kjb
This was one of my favorite cars.
Screenshot_6.png

You don't say? :dopey:

It's a very cool car to own, but not one anyone is likely to use much, if at all. And that's not because of it's rarity, it's because it's closer to the racing car now than it was when it was first built as the road car and it's become even less practical as a result. It's not a car you can hop in and start up, you have to go through a lengthy ritual that involves warming the oil before you think of starting it up. An amazing car, but sadly, I don't have a spare £1m lying around.

If it ever comes to GT7, it will be one of the 20,000,000-Cr. (or higher) Hagerty's unicorns.

I would put a pound down on it, but I can't import it to the US for another 2 years.

I doubt that very much, despite it's rarity, it's nowhere near the desirability level of a Daytona Coupe, Ferrari 250 or McLaren F1. It'd be a couple of million at most, similar to what I expect it'd cost in real life.

Last edited:

That wouldn’t make sense, no one would even pay the half of it in real life, I would doubt even a quarter. I think for the auctioneers, anything over 1m could be seen as a win.

That wouldn’t make sense, no one would even pay the half of it in real life, I would doubt even a quarter. I think for the auctioneers, anything over 1m could be seen as a win.
Does Hagerty's make sense? If the road-going F1 is a 20,000,000-Cr. unicorn, the Speed 12 would be.

It's a very cool car to own, but not one anyone is likely to use much, if at all. And that's not because of it's rarity, it's because it's closer to the racing car now than it was when it was first built as the road car and it's become even less practical as a result. It's not a car you can hop in and start up, you have to go through a lengthy ritual that involves warming the oil before you think of starting it up. An amazing car, but sadly, I don't have a spare £1m lying around.

If I was mega rich and won that auction, I’d personally have it modified back to road car spec (if possible) - the rear spoiler and rollcage would definitely be kept though! 😅

A respray to a different colour wouldn’t hurt either, I’d most definitely go for the iconic TVR purple. Never thought the deep red really suited it, but it is what it is.

@Bom15 Just to clarify (because of your poop emoji), I don't think the car is bad - quite the opposite, I have a huge (1/18) Speed 7/12 diecast sitting on my desk! I'm just broke :D
No worries. I presume it's the Hotwheels model? Always wanted that one but every time I see it the price is too high for what it is. I do have 1:18 Sagaris and Tuscan though. But yeah, You should of seen my missus face when she got home and I told her we're selling everything.

If I was mega rich and won that auction, I’d personally have it modified back to road car spec (if possible) - the rear spoiler and rollcage would definitely be kept though! 😅

A respray to a different colour wouldn’t hurt either, I’d most definitely go for the iconic TVR purple. Never thought the deep red really suited it, but it is what it is.
It's not possible since all of the parts required to do so don't exist anymore. The best you could try is to create an original/replica hybrid. It would be ridiculously expensive to try though.

Last edited:

I doubt that very much, despite it's rarity, it's nowhere near the desirability level of a Daytona Coupe, Ferrari 250 or McLaren F1. It'd be a couple of million at most, similar to what I expect it'd cost in real life.
I'd worry about damaging the engine anyway. And I agree about price. The Helical TR cost around 1 mill new I think? Yes. Not the same but maybe a kind of benchmark?

I know of 3 bodies. And rollcage present in all of them :).

tvr_cerbera-speed-12-TVR-unofficial-blog_1.jpg

The motorshow version which was like the smooth road car but had vents in the bonnet. I don't know if this car became the road car or one of the race cars. The bonnet at least has disappeared somewhere.

2000 TVR Cerbera Speed 12 2.jpg

Then there's the smooth road car at Goodwood FoS 2000. I've always preferred this one. Although it does look better with the wing. This was the body that was for sale a few years ago maybe 2018? Below is what it looked like in 2018 although the roof is off the racer so needs surgery.

36986407_1498820903555346_8653646592135397376_n.jpg
37062823_1498820863555350_4419744969351233536_n.jpg

Of course the 3rd body is what it has now so I won't post pics of that. But TVR left quite alot of stuff outside the factory after use. The 7/12 body sat outside for years.

s0003.jpg

Last edited:
Does Hagerty's make sense? If the road-going F1 is a 20,000,000-Cr. unicorn, the Speed 12 would be.
It's an amazing car, but the Speed 12 is virtually unknown these days & seems more like a car with a short history of, "What if" than any actual accomplishments. Regulation changes murdered its racing career quickly & TVR canned the project out of concern before 1 even sold.

There is no Guide Price, but the car has zero reserve as well which means Peter is taking whatever he can get out of it. I think @VinylRichie is on the point: reaching $1m might be a solid day for this car.

It's an amazing car, but the Speed 12 is virtually unknown these days & seems more like a car with a short history of, "What if" than any actual accomplishments. Regulation changes murdered its racing career quickly & TVR canned the project out of concern before 1 even sold.

There is no Guide Price, but the car has zero reserve as well which means Peter is taking whatever he can get out of it. I think @VinylRichie is on the point: reaching $1m might be a solid day for this car.
You don't mean Peter Wheeler? He doesn't own the car. He died many years ago.

Last edited:
You don't mean Peter Wheeler? He doesn't own the car. He died many years ago.
My apologies, then. I greatly misread this line in the auction description.

"Originally offered for sale directly by TVR’s Peter Wheeler,"

My apologies, then. I greatly misread this line in the auction description.

"Originally offered for sale directly by TVR’s Peter Wheeler,"
No worries I miss stuff all the time. I mean when I first read it, it sounded to me both were for sale. The guy who owns it now built a 2nd more user friendly car. But basically Peter was in charge of TVR and had the intention of selling them. Until he drove it and realised many deaths could happen.

Not really. Mclaren F1 not only actually sold cars, it was a very notable car for multiple reasons and its basically one of the poster children of 90s car lunacy. The TVR Speed 12 is sadly a car that I guarantee doesn't elicit nearly as much attention or press and lacks that same appeal. Put it side by side at an auction with said car, or even the Jaguar XJ220, and I confidently feel like the Speed 12 is not gonna be the one selling with the highest price despite it being far more rare then both.

Last edited:
Not really. Mclaren F1 not only actually sold cars, it was a very notable car for multiple reasons and its basically one of the poster children of 90s car lunacy. The TVR Speed 12 is sadly a car that I guarantee doesn't elicit nearly as much attention or press and lacks that same appeal. Put it side by side at an auction with said car, or even the Jaguar XJ220, and I confidently feel like the Speed 12 is not gonna be the one selling with the highest price despite it being far more rare then both.
Yeah, the McLaren F1 is an icon, both as a road and racing vehicle. The Speed 12 is much more obscure compared to it. If anything, this is a case where the car's rarity hurts its value. The Speed 12 didn't have the same kind of motorsport record, and it also doesn't help that the car never even got a formal production run.

If the car drives as bas as in the game, I feel sorry for the sucker who will win the bid, I'll wager it drives a bit better :lol:

Jerome

Ahm yes it does, cause the McLaren already sold for 20.5 million $, it is the highest valued modern car on the market and by its production number it is a unicorn, and McLaren is a name with a long and famous history.
You can’t say the same about TVR, they never had this fame and their cars also ain’t in the same league as McLaren, don’t have this aura surrounding them.
You could compare the TVR more to something like a Lister Storm, the road going Version never sold over half a million i think. Or the Isdera Commendatore, a beautiful one-off supercar which barely reached 1 million in its last auction.

Latest Posts

Back