Is cutting through the grass cheating?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 48 comments
if u are just playing against a mate or against the computer drivers then it wouldn't bother me as long as u gain by the move u are making but in a situation where you take part in a team challenge then it would be classed as cheating :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah thats cheating-same as wall grinding. Don't mind on your own as long as you don't do it againsy GTP members.:)

YES cutting the grass is cheating!!! Unless your using a riding mower!

No it is not, IMO. Why? Because if you decide to cut accross the grass and slow down than that is your choice, however, if your going fast enough that cutting the grass doesn't slow you down, then you would probably win anyways.

I do feel however that there should be a 10 sec. penalty for cutting the grass as with Pro races in real racing.

The grass doesnt slow u down Pako, only the gravel does, unless your in a slide in the grass!

Originally posted by ZeroCool85
The grass doesnt slow u down Pako, only the gravel does, unless your in a slide in the grass!

Please re-read my post:

Because if you decide to cut accross the grass and slow down than that is your choice, however, if your going fast enough that cutting the grass doesn't slow you down, then you would probably win anyways.

:P

man, im not sure what it is. i mean...if they wanted you to cut through the grass i think other drivers would to.

They should
FIREdevil.gif
the grass!

I think it depends on how you approach the game.

I approach it as a motor racing simulation (since I can't afford to run my current lifestyle and race cars) so I'm very strict on myself on that sort of stuff. I'm not interested in cheating - ruins the simulation.

If you're approaching it as a video game, then knock yourself out - do wheelies, cut corners...

Originally posted by vat_man
I think it depends on how you approach the game.

I approach it as a motor racing simulation (since I can't afford to run my current lifestyle and race cars) so I'm very strict on myself on that sort of stuff. I'm not interested in cheating - ruins the simulation.

If you're approaching it as a video game, then knock yourself out - do wheelies, cut corners...

Yep, totally depends on your approach.

I was going to ask the question, "Do you 'swap paint' in a race just to get ahead?". Meaning, do you bump the computer cars off the course or into a wall intentionally? It fits in the same catagory. On Leguna Seca, I've caught myself bumping the computer into the 'sand traps' several times. I do it, but I don't agree with it.

And besides, I've been noticing lately that in the higher powered cars, the computer tends to drive like utter crap. What's up with that? Sometimes I'll come around a corner and there'll be a computer sitting off the track ... facing me! And sometimes it sits there for a good 10 seconds before it can get going again. What's up?

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Yep, totally depends on your approach.

I was going to ask the question, "Do you 'swap paint' in a race just to get ahead?". Meaning, do you bump the computer cars off the course or into a wall intentionally? It fits in the same catagory. On Leguna Seca, I've caught myself bumping the computer into the 'sand traps' several times. I do it, but I don't agree with it.

And besides, I've been noticing lately that in the higher powered cars, the computer tends to drive like utter crap. What's up with that? Sometimes I'll come around a corner and there'll be a computer sitting off the track ... facing me! And sometimes it sits there for a good 10 seconds before it can get going again. What's up?

~LoudMusic

Nah - that's different. I used to deliberately hit guys in karting (you can do it without marshalls seeing it - it's quite a skill).

I've noticed the AI does repeatedly go off at some corners - the last left at Laguna Seca being a prime example...

I agree with the 'it depends on your approach' opinion. The whole point of the game is to be a racing simulator. Don't some race drivers find themselves cutting over the grass (and spinning the corners)?
If you make a conscious decision to go off the track and across the grass to gain an advantage, yeah it's cheating, but who cares? The AI certianly isn't going to run you off to the side, jump out and start in on your driver, now is it? :P

Personally, I think it's interesting to swap paint in certain situations! I'm not saying I ride the computer around the corners, but shoving the cars? Heck yeah!
:Poke:

Originally posted by Trailer01

Personally, I think it's interesting to swap paint in certain situations! I'm not saying I ride the computer around the corners, but shoving the cars? Heck yeah!
:Poke:

Did anyone here play TOCA2 - you learnt fairly early on not to punt guys off, as the AI (which the GT guys could learn a hell of a lot from) for the car you hit would often remember (depeding on the driver), and bear a grudge for the rest of the season.

I took Alain Menu's Renault off in the first round one season, and all year, every time he was behind me - BANG! - he'd nail me.

TOCA had a pretty good system of warnings and penalties if you hit guys in the back - two warnings, two point deductions, then DQ.

Sitting on two point deductions in a race crucial for the championship certainly makes you very selective of passing opportunities...

Did anyone here play TOCA2 - you learnt fairly early on not to punt guys off, as the AI (which the GT guys could learn a hell of a lot from) for the car you hit would often remember (depeding on the driver), and bear a grudge for the rest of the season.

I took Alain Menu's Renault off in the first round one season, and all year, every time he was behind me - BANG! - he'd nail me.

TOCA had a pretty good system of warnings and penalties if you hit guys in the back - two warnings, two point deductions, then DQ.

Sitting on two point deductions in a race crucial for the championship certainly makes you very selective of passing opportunities...

Well that certainly sounds good. What is TOCA2 ?? All I've ever seen is the acronym. And what platform does it run on?

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Well that certainly sounds good. What is TOCA2 ?? All I've ever seen is the acronym. And what platform does it run on?

~LoudMusic

There were two TOCA (Touring Car Championship) games, based around the heyday of the 2.0 litre supertouring format of the British Touring Car Championship (late 90's, 97 and 98 season from memory). The games were from Codemasters.

They did a third game which was a bit more international, which while the racing was as good was a bit of a dud graphics-wise.

They were in PC and PS1 formats.

Originally posted by gran_turismo_bandit
i always cut through on trial mountain. i can never slow down enough to make those corners. they set that course up to cheat on!

I just hate when I accidently hit that mound of grass and start spinning out. Other than that I love cutting through the grass there. You alwasy outrun the other cars around that corner when you fly through the grass there. :cool:

In the words of Cole Trickle "rubbing is part of racing" --Days of Thunder. However like a few other people here, I like to try and avoid corner cutting, and rubbing out other cars. Thats not to say I never do it in the heat of battle. However I find "pretending" the whole thing is real, and not touching walls, others cars (except for maybe the smallest nudge during super close racing) is a extremely challanging/rewarding pursuit.

Hmm I have TOCA 2, but never really got into it. Its fairly serious like you said and very very easy to have an accident in. I always felt it was harder to tell when the cars where about to let go in that game (more like real life?) Damage model is simply great (camera views are brillant too) Didn't know about that points issue. I am impressed.

Originally posted by gran_turismo_bandit
i always cut through on trial mountain. i can never slow down enough to make those corners. they set that course up to cheat on!

Sure you can make it! Just start W I D E...I mean to the right of the breakdown lane line...and turn in slowly...you should only have to release the acclerator on turn-in a bit...mebbe touch the brakes if yer really haulin a$$... give it a try!

Originally posted by sundog

Hmm I have TOCA 2, but never really got into it. Its fairly serious like you said and very very easy to have an accident in. I always felt it was harder to tell when the cars where about to let go in that game (more like real life?) Damage model is simply great (camera views are brillant too) Didn't know about that points issue. I am impressed.

As I've said in earlier threads I reckon half the fun of racing video games is having enormous accidents - that's why I'm hanging out for WRC and Colin McRae on PS2.

Yeah, GT3 doesn't really lend itself to satisfying smash ups. No car damage, no flipping of cars, etc. A good rally game on the PS 2 would rock for that aspect, or if TOCA made its way across.

Originally posted by sundog
Yeah, GT3 doesn't really lend itself to satisfying smash ups. No car damage, no flipping of cars, etc. A good rally game on the PS 2 would rock for that aspect, or if TOCA made its way across.

I've had some VERY big accidents in the Colin McRae games - I fell off a road at over 200mph in a cheated up Audi Quattro after clipping a rock. Even in the replay I couldn't work out how many times it rolled - I was laughing like a loon! I've got a bad habit, especially on tarmac rallies, of pushing far too hard in that game...

I've had some VERY big accidents in the Colin McRae games - I fell off a road at over 200mph in a cheated up Audi Quattro after clipping a rock. Even in the replay I couldn't work out how many times it rolled - I was laughing like a loon! I've got a bad habit, especially on tarmac rallies, of pushing far too hard in that game...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't ever want to be a passenger in your car... :lol:

Originally posted by risingson77

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't ever want to be a passenger in your car... :lol:

:P

I have never had an accident travelling at more than 3 kmh - and that was reversing to get out of the way of a woman who was about to reverse into me...

I don't bend 'em, I blow 'em up....

There were two TOCA (Touring Car Championship) games, based around the heyday of the 2.0 litre supertouring format of the British Touring Car Championship (late 90's, 97 and 98 season from memory). The games were from Codemasters.

They did a third game which was a bit more international, which while the racing was as good was a bit of a dud graphics-wise.

They were in PC and PS1 formats.

I still have both TOCA and TOCA2 for PC... the original rocked!!! The second looked great, but my trusty thrustmaster steering wheel was not compatible, so I never really got to play it much(funny, the wheel worked with the original version...), GT3 graphics are the first to challenge a rainy night at Hockenheim. Loved the realistic damage, and beautiful courses. Computer AI as mentioned above was much more advanced than regular console games. IMHO GT3 captures many of the best features of the TOCA line of games.

Originally posted by VooDoo_Child2010

I still have both TOCA and TOCA2 for PC... the original rocked!!! The second looked great, but my trusty thrustmaster steering wheel was not compatible, so I never really got to play it much(funny, the wheel worked with the original version...), GT3 graphics are the first to challenge a rainy night at Hockenheim. Loved the realistic damage, and beautiful courses. Computer AI as mentioned above was much more advanced than regular console games. IMHO GT3 captures many of the best features of the TOCA line of games.

The AI and the racing in GT3 aren't a patch on TOCA - I've had AI cars put great moves on me in TOCA. The cars don't just punt you out of the way (well, unless they want to), they put good moves on you.

Best memory is seeing in the rear vision mirror a Laguna flying towards me - quick check of the rear view saw smoke from its locked tyres. I held off turning in, to see it fly past the apex still locked up, and sail into the kitty litter on the outside of the corner.

If they could replicate the racing standard from these games for the GT series, you'd have a fantastic game.

Originally posted by risingson77

Sure you can make it! Just start W I D E...I mean to the right of the breakdown lane line...and turn in slowly...you should only have to release the acclerator on turn-in a bit...mebbe touch the brakes if yer really haulin a$$... give it a try!

But, of course, i am hauling @$$. why race any other way? besides, it slows me down a little bit, and often i can barely keep my car facing the right way. that track gets on my nerves, b/c i am usually going way too fast, lock up the brakes, and slide into the corner. let off the brakes, hit the gas, and go roundy-bout when the super sticky's let go in back.

Back