1/4 Mile Transmission Guide for Dummies(Illustrated)

A good analogy for tuning but you cant get the gears short enough is when doc brown's plug in back to the future was too short "d*mn, d*mn, damndamn.

So this is for "dummies" yes? Can you do like a "amateur" or "advanced" explanation? So more examples of different cars it's different powerbands, all though this thread do help me 99.99 percent, I havnt quite got my finger on it :/ yet.

Umm if the "dummys" guide made by Shake still hasen't helped you understand the basic principles of tuning, I think an "advanced" explanation will only end up in more confusion.

Furthermore his guide is set up to learn, any more advanced and you're no longer tuning your car, you are having it tuned.. By someone else.

So this is for "dummies" yes? Can you do like a "amateur" or "advanced" explanation? So more examples of different cars it's different powerbands, all though this thread do help me 99.99 percent, I havnt quite got my finger on it :/ yet.
It's a guide meant to mimic the "dummy" books that help people lacking the skills or experience of doing what we do. The focus is on people who have never drag raced, or people that may do circuit or drift and want to try an alternative form of racing. In a broader perspective, it has also helped numerous drifting and circuit racers improve their transmissions with methods used in my guide. I will not be expanding it to an "advanced" version, but I may(or may not) be adding new sections in the future if I get the free time to do so.

It's a guide meant to mimic the "dummy" books that help people lacking the skills or experience of doing what we do. The focus is on people who have never drag raced, or people that may do circuit or drift and want to try an alternative form of racing. In a broader perspective, it has also helped numerous drifting and circuit racers improve their transmissions with methods used in my guide. I will not be expanding it to an "advanced" version, but I may(or may not) be adding new sections in the future if I get the free time to do so.
Okay cheers my bro!
Like I said, without this thread I wouldn't be able to be good at flipping trannys as good as I do today so I tip my hat to you Master_shake

I have problems tuning my Stielow Engineering Camaro , it bogs way too much in first , and is slow. I'm getting tired getting pulled by Mustangs and Dodges. :banghead::indiff:

On lowpower 4wd cars can 1 gear be moved to the right about half way for better start?
Do you mean 1st gear? I believe thats what I did on AWD under 300 horsepower. Dropping the torque split to 30/70 or 10/90 helps sometimes too, since you get less bog off the line.

Yes some lower bhp cars don't like launching at low revs. So what i do is flip to a safe zone where you know the car won't bog with a long 1st gear. If the cars 6th gear is as close or short as possible and it still maxes out before the finish line or bridge. Flip higher. Also try messing with the ride height to help eliminate bog. And try different torque splits as Master said.

If the cars 1st gear starts to loose power in the lower rev with a long 1st gear then as Master_Shake said you will need to take the gear further right to make it closer or shorter to get the gear into the higher rpm revs. Now this can either be engine/ engine and gearbox/ or gearbox. It may be that the engines on low bhp cars can't handle long gearboxes which is what happens when you flip higher you stretch out the gears more.

Another way to eliminate loss of power in cars that don't like launching with a 1st gear that is in low revs is to use the Max Speed Slider. By raising this you can get away with a long first gear without bogging with a high flip. This works for some cars but not all. It also gets them to a decent max speed at the bridge without needing a high flip and a really close 6th gear.

Also some RWD or MR cars prefer a low ride height which minimizes bog in some gears when the bog is there with a raised ride height. An example not every 4WD prefer being lowered although de facto most do. Most MR might prefer the RWD standard of higher ride heights but some prefer being lowered. Take the Renault 5 Turbo as an example i just tuned last night. Literally most of the cars bog was eliminated by lowering the ride height rather than raising it.

Last edited:
Who did I miss this time? I coulda swore I had a notification for this thread.

I had one for the GT5 version, but it doesn't make much sense and I haven't played GT5 in ~3 years. It's getting close to a year for this one, too. Sad times.

Dr.-Who.gif

Back