Braking effectivity question

• Thread starter wlashack
  • 6 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
wlashack
Hello,
I am quite new to simracing (DR C) and have a question about braking.

I try to learn from video guides on YouTube and Daily Races top driver replays in GT7.
There is one thing I still can not figure out. It is braking effectivity. I use same car, same settings.

It often happens that when I try to follow the driver on replay and start braking (and downshift) at the same spot as the author of the video, I don't brake it and go off the track. Even though I full brake, I don't brake it so I must start braking sooner. It looks like he has better brakes/tyres than me but it is not possible. Can someone tell me why this happens?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am quite new to simracing (DR C) and have a question about braking.

I try to learn from video guides on YouTube and Daily Races top driver replays in GT7.
There is one thing I still can not figure out. It is braking effectivity. I use same car, same settings.

It often happens that when I try to follow the driver on replay and start braking (and downshift) at the same spot as the author of the video, I don't brake it and go off the track. Even though I full brake, I don't brake it so I must start braking sooner. It looks like he has better brakes/tyres than me but it is not possible. Can someone tell me why this happens?

Thanks.
It's almost certainly down to trail braking. Watch this video and see if it helps.

They may also be using “Weak” ABS is some of the videos/ghosts, instead of “Default” ABS. Weak has better stopping power, in most cars, but it’s harder to trail brake with. Default trail brakes in a little better/easier, but doesn’t stop as well/quickly in a straight line. Road cars and up to about Gr3, I use Weak now for everything, and Gr2 and above I tend to move back to Default.

In replays the braking input bar is filtered/delayed such that it seems like they brake later. Look at my earlier post about it.

They may also be using “Weak” ABS is some of the videos/ghosts, instead of “Default” ABS. Weak has better stopping power, in most cars, but it’s harder to trail brake with. Default trail brakes in a little better/easier, but doesn’t stop as well/quickly in a straight line. Road cars and up to about Gr3, I use Weak now for everything, and Gr2 and above I tend to move back to Default.
In replays the braking input bar is filtered/delayed such that it seems like they brake later. Look at my earlier post about it.
Both of these.

Quite a few cars in GT7 require trail braking to be effective, but also to get that later braking point you'll want ABS on weak, sometimes even off.

As mentioned, the replay brake bar is delayed, i tend to watch the camera angle that I use (bumper) first to see turn in points and references, then switch to third person view to watch again to see when the brake lights come on as they react quicker than the bar in the replays.

At the point I see the brake lights come on, I will pause the replay and switch to my view (bumper) to see if there is a reference point I missed compared to the first time I watched it.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why this happens?
Brakes in this game (GT7) work like in real life, you stomp on brakes in real life, you will lock up wheels and slide. You stomp on brakes in game it is same thing, you will slide off track.
You need to apply brakes like in real, soft at first and then press harder but keep listening for tyre squeal and feel for loss of control.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’ve always liked weak better. I should probably try default for the GT-One at LeMans for Nations today. Braking feels like my Achilles heel in that car. Thanks for the post.

Back