Car’s scale/size in VR. Something wrong..

• Thread starter Mathaios_C
  • 47 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
Only in my opinion is there a mistake in the size/sense of scale of the cars? You can feel it both on the track and in the showroom. They seem too small to me. When I go to the showroom the floor is not where it should be.. it seems to me that it reaches the height of the hip. All of this about other games I've tried doesn't happen. Sounds like a gt7 flaw. What do you think? We hope an update will arrive soon.

Over in the main GT7 & PSVR2 thread there's about 5 people who have mentioned this, possibly more. I'm one of them :)

Most obvious is the small hands and small steering wheel which look obviously toy sized, but also the other cars don't look full sized, it's oddly immersion breaking in terms of it feels like being in a very realistic toy racing game.

In terms of solutions, I have tried playing with the view position and changing the IPD setting which doesn't seem to have made any difference to the sense of scale. The correct IPD for me seems to be right in the middle of the adjustment range so I don't think I'm outside of the adjustment range.

I'd estimate it feels about 25% smaller than real life perhaps.

Had no such problem with the Oculus Rift in Assetto Corsa or any other VR game. I will have to try the PSVR2 in another game at some point to see if it's GT7 specific.

I wonder if it's somehow related to cockpit view settings in pancake mode? I may try the game without PSVR2 plugged in, change those settings back to default and see if it makes any difference!

Glad I'm not the only one to experience that. It's getting ridiculous sometimes with some of the cars having the tiniest shifters and cup holders lol.

My guess is that FOV of the virtual camera is much wider than it should be. It's almost like you view through a GoPro camera lens.

I wonder how they didn't address that during the development and what's more bizarre is that the original psvr in GT Sport didn't have that problem. I hope it will be resolved in the next patch.

Last edited:
Over in the main GT7 & PSVR2 thread there's about 5 people who have mentioned this, possibly more. I'm one of them :)

Most obvious is the small hands and small steering wheel which look obviously toy sized, but also the other cars don't look full sized, it's oddly immersion breaking in terms of it feels like being in a very realistic toy racing game.

In terms of solutions, I have tried playing with the view position and changing the IPD setting which doesn't seem to have made any difference to the sense of scale. The correct IPD for me seems to be right in the middle of the adjustment range so I don't think I'm outside of the adjustment range.

I'd estimate it feels about 25% smaller than real life perhaps.

Had no such problem with the Oculus Rift in Assetto Corsa or any other VR game. I will have to try the PSVR2 in another game at some point to see if it's GT7 specific.

I wonder if it's somehow related to cockpit view settings in pancake mode? I may try the game without PSVR2 plugged in, change those settings back to default and see if it makes any difference!
Yeah! But in the show room is even worse in my opinion.
My body is totally off in the space with the ground at my hip level. How possible no one noticed that before?!?! I played also resident evil 8 and everything is perfectly in proportion. There is a Suv amd it seems totally real and perfect in size. Honestly quite disappointed

I think you guys' settings may be wrong. A lot of people are having great experiences and talking about how real it looks. It can be a case of the mass not knowing anything and not noticing it... or maybe anyone who has this problem hasn't set it up correctly

Hm, the hands and steering wheel was a bit smaller in GT Sport too, but not too noticeable. I noticed the small hands in DriveClub VR and GunClub too, so I just decided that the driver had small hands and the cars looked a bit smaller because I was using glasses and didn't move the scope as close as I would have without the glasses.
I haven't tried GT7 in VR, but since people are reporting then it's more noticeable...

Hm, the hands and steering wheel was a bit smaller in GT Sport too, but not too noticeable. I noticed the small hands in DriveClub VR and GunClub too, so I just decided that the driver had small hands and the cars looked a bit smaller because I was using glasses and didn't move the scope as close as I would have without the glasses.
I haven't tried GT7 in VR, but since people are reporting then it's more noticeable...
It’s actually the opposite. If you move scope closer to the face it looks smaller because your FOV is wider.

My settings are perfect. It is the game…
I agree with this other user:

I agree, first time I booted up GT7 in VR, I went to the showroom and looked at the Miata/MX5, and it almost looked like a miniature. I’ve seen (and driven) the car IRL many times, and it’s definitely not that small.

Then I went out on the track and everything seems kind of too small. Not by a lot, but enough to make it feel a bit weird. The interior, the wheel, the drivers body etc. Tho the track itself and everything outside of the car feels “normal”.

Haven't played in VR myself but I have seen this been said by a few streamers who I poked my head into to see what they had to say. Maybe more of an issue on some models than others? Also the effect may not translate into watching it on a flat screen that well, as I wasn't quite understanding what they were saying with my kind of brief viewing.

Last edited:
I tried adjusting IPD with restarting the game and the scale doesn't change, so perhaps we really have to wait PD/Sony to patch it or add a world scale setting.

My IPD is at narrowest plus 1~2 tick, and I feel the world size is about right, if not a little bit smaller. I'm curious about those who feel virtual world miniature, where's your IPD settings sit at? Because in theory to make virtual world feel larger you have to make IPD narrower (put the two "eye cameras" nearer; the virtual cameras should be at where your eyes are to make you feel the scale right, so they should "move" with IPD change, but apparently they aren't now).

I relate to how the scale feels/looks similar to exhibits at the Museum of Natural History(NYC). There’s a taxidermy look to it. That’s the only way I can describe it. That and it’s like having the baby legs Deadpool, in Deadpool 2, driving the car.

Hope they adjust it or i am definitely disappointed…it ruins everything. And all the rest is literally stunning. Cars models are amazing, sense of speed unreal…everything good except this mistake which I didn’t expect at all.

Last edited:
Yeah! But in the show room is even worse in my opinion.
My body is totally off in the space with the ground at my hip level. How possible no one noticed that before?!?! I played also resident evil 8 and everything is perfectly in proportion. There is a Suv amd it seems totally real and perfect in size. Honestly quite disappointed
You can press down on the right and left stick to set your height in the showroom. Very useful for walking around the car at your real height or even getting low to look at the wheels up close.

You can press down on the right and left stick to set your height in the showroom. Very useful for walking around the car at your real height or even getting low to look at the wheels up close.
Yes with r3 l3. Sizes are wrong anyway…

Yep the scale is really off and this is quite disturbing. Tried Horizon Call of the Mountain and there too, the human characters are looking quite small in every aspect (head / face size for example). Since very few people are reporting this, i'm starting to get worried about a problem with my psvr2.... Never felt that with other headsets and well calibrated games.
Hope that this issue will get patched asap...

Yep the scale is really off and this is quite disturbing. Tried Horizon Call of the Mountain and there too, the human characters are looking quite small in every aspect (head / face size for example). Since very few people are reporting this, i'm starting to get worried about a problem with my psvr2.... Never felt that with other headsets and well calibrated games.
It can't be a unit-specific issue because it is literally a game-specific/software issue. Some games got the scaling right some don't. Horizon doesn't bother me as much as GT7. I guess most people just don't care or do not notice.

Exactly. The humans in horizon are small…like kids size. How possible no one reported thiss???

Glad it's not just me. I think it's the FOV.

The sense of speed is inferior to any VR experience I've had, including PSVR1 on GT sport. 250 Km/h feels the same as 100 Km/h. I went back to back between the new Carrera RS and the Ferrari F8. The track just felt shorter with more braking needed instead of the car feeling faster. Bizzare feeling.

I agree, first time I booted up GT7 in VR, I went to the showroom and looked at the Miata/MX5, and it almost looked like a miniature. I’ve seen (and driven) the car IRL many times, and it’s definitely not that small.

Then I went out on the track and everything seems kind of too small. Not by a lot, but enough to make it feel a bit weird. The interior, the wheel, the drivers body etc. Tho the track itself and everything outside of the car feels “normal”.
Cars looked small too me when entering showroom in vr, but hold the reset and it puts you in proper perspective

Cars looked small too me when entering showroom in vr, but hold the reset and it puts you in proper perspective
Look the handbrake, the size of the wheel, the sizes of the buttons inside the cars. Everything is smaller. The seats…the hands and the legs of the pilot…everything is smaller. It is not all
About prospective

Look the handbrake, the size of the wheel, the sizes of the buttons inside the cars. Everything is smaller. The seats…the hands and the legs of the pilot…everything is smaller. It is not all
About prospective
Don't get bitchy dude I just gave an idea too try and it's perspective not prospective :)

This is an effect that I have noticed also in 3D movies. Most recently in Avatar 2, everything looks smaller than in a 2D screen. But games of course should have the possibility of zooming in the scene to make it look bigger. In Oculus Quest 2 never had this impression of having smaller objects in a game, that I can remember.

The scale may be slightly off but some things seem larger i've found.
For the mention earlier in this thread about other games, i've noticed it in Half Life Alyx (only played 50%) where the hands are just too small imo.

For this game, well I own an s2000 irl and the instrument cluster is smaller than real, the cabin similar but off somehow (roof too tall?) and then looking back between the seats out the rear window everything felt too large. But damn near as close as i've ever seen it in VR. If there was a scaling % option then that would fix things or to at least maybe make everything just that tiny bit bigger?

I wonder if they have done some model trickery with the cockpit sizing and come unstuck a little ?

When we made the cockpits for cars in other well known racing games we overscaled the interiors so they would feel bigger ingame, I can't remember now but I recall it was something like 1.5x maybe 2.0x overscale, the point being smoke and mirrors often takes place in the background to deliver the feeling you want ingame, point being it is easy to get out of sync with the bigger picture if you are not careful.

Last edited:
If you guys are all sure about the IPD, have you correctly set your height during the room setup? When I went through it, the holograms didn't match with the floor and I had to tweak that (lower the holograms by adjusting my size up), even though my room was well lit and I'm not very tall (1.75m).

I own an mx5 and in Vr showroom it looks like an mx5, no scale issues here and sitting in it looks perfect, so given we have the same game, it must be settings?

Back