Car’s scale/size in VR. Something wrong..

• Thread starter Mathaios_C
  • 47 comments
Actually I am afraid this is not an easy fix. I see it 2.
A Pagani R is toyish small. Like 85%
However the MX5 looks normal and correct!
This could be due to a big difference in how car content is build / scanned.
Some with lidar, some partly, some with baked-in scales.
Remember it is a mix of new/reworked/upgraded and outsourced content.

I hope they can throw it all in a kind of scaler program but am afraid this is not as easy.
probably when re-scaling things potentially break per car and therefore potentially cost to much.
Kaz stated they are have-developed GT7 with PSVR2 for years now.
They would have already addressed it if they could.
And therefore probably they will freeze this for GT7 and accept. Take lessons learned to GT8.
And release GT8 with an all new rooster of cars. Less but even more correct and detailed.

I will just except it the way it is and enjoy it as much as possible. There is always something..
It is still a videogame/entertainment in the end.
Already insanely nice. Yes here and there a little off with reality.
It's actually striking we are talking about these last few %!
It's a stable Playstation console high-end VR Simrace experience obtainable for +/-1K!!
Hardware and software. What more can we wish for really...
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I seem to have a similar issue. It feels like the car is around my shoulders and not at my waist.

Are there any settings you can change to adjust this somehow?

I own an mx5 and in Vr showroom it looks like an mx5, no scale issues here and sitting in it looks perfect, so given we have the same game, it must be settings?
Hmmmm... that's interesting. Honestly on my side its really bad (didn't try that car though). Noticed as well in the showroom that some cars are better than others (while staying too small).
If you try the second music track in tokyo, the scale issue becomes ridiculous to me (way too small).
The problem doens't translate to the TV mirrored view (probably due to fov and image cropping).
Thing is i really don't know what i could tweak on my settings, as the options are limited.
PLay space tracking and body height are looking fine. Ipd adjustment is just for finding the sweetspot with the lense, no influence on the virtual camera. Same goes for headset adjustment.
Did you adjust something we didn't ?

Actually I am afraid this is not an easy fix. I see it 2.
A Pagani R is toyish small. Like 85%
However the MX5 looks normal and correct!
This could be due to a big difference in how car content is build / scanned.
Some with lidar, some partly, some with baked-in scales.
Remember it is a mix of new/reworked/upgraded and outsourced content.

I hope they can throw it all in a kind of scaler program but am afraid this is not as easy.
probably when re-scaling things potentially break per car and therefore potentially cost to much.
Kaz stated they are have-developed GT7 with PSVR2 for years now.
They would have already addressed it if they could.
And therefore probably they will freeze this for GT7 and accept. Take lessons learned to GT8.
And release GT8 with an all new rooster of cars. Less but even more correct and detailed.

I will just except it the way it is and enjoy it as much as possible. There is always something..
It is still a videogame/entertainment in the end.
Already insanely nice. Yes here and there a little off with reality.
It's actually striking we are talking about these last few %!
It's a stable Playstation console high-end VR Simrace experience obtainable for +/-1K!!
Hardware and software. What more can we wish for really...
Enjoy!
Yes i was thinking too that they cheated a bit on car sizes to streamline the cockpit view on a flat TV and keep same track and speed perception.

But in GT Sport + psvr, while being here as well, this issue is not that bad and doesn't brake immersion. Lots of cars were over specced for gt7 implementation... I'll probably reinstall gts to compare with gt7.

Alsace track feels also smaller in VR 😅.

Hope they can play a bit with overall size perception even if the result doesn't get perfect in every situation.

Bought psvr2 mainly for gt7 and for now i've spent more time in horizon wearing the headset 😕

Hope PD will get that feedback from the players somehow.
The investment is high and i think we are allowed to be a bit disapointed with the first iteration of the gt7 vr implementation.

The army of streamers and reviewers is delivering the same text, without mentionning the scale problem.

Impossible that PD is not a 100% aware of this. Hope they will realise that they could find a better compromise.

For the same game, the perception between flat screen and vr should be alike. On the first you drive 'real cars', on the second you have the feeling that you are playing with rc toys.

Please Kaz...

Let's hope and see !

Last edited:
Hmmmm... that's interesting. Honestly on my side its really bad (didn't try that car though). Noticed as well in the showroom that some cars are better than others (while staying too small).
If you try the second music track in tokyo, the scale issue becomes ridiculous to me (way too small).
The problem doens't translate to the TV mirrored view (probably due to fov and image cropping).
Thing is i really don't know what i could tweak on my settings, as the options are limited.
PLay space tracking and body height are looking fine. Ipd adjustment is just for finding the sweetspot with the lense, no influence on the virtual camera. Same goes for headset adjustment.
I think the headset may reset it's centre position when switching to interior
The only thing I can think is had the setting to use the TV as a reference point for centre on (forget what.its called in the psvr menu) and when you switch to interior I think it re-calibrates so keep you head still. I will try the Zonda later that someone said looked 80% size.

I've also owned an rx8 so let me try that too and a mini and a gold GTi MK1. I'll report back on how they seem to me

Last edited:
Anybody noticed that in passthrough mode (Black/white) the actual world and objects are smaller 2!
About the same %. So this might be a PSVR firmware update that's needed. Instead of a GT7 one..
noticed the same :) -- my hands were smaller on the steering wheel ^^

You might be right for the firmware update. Horizon has similar issues with human characters, while some props seem to be ok (like barrels).

Last edited:
noticed the same :) -- my hands were smaller on the steering wheel ^^

You might be right for the firmware update. Horizon has similar issues with human characters, while some props seem to be ok (like barrels).
Mmmm!! Good example. I will try later the trial for horizon to check that…
Seriously, i am so annoyed by this problem…because everything else is just the perfection!!

Mmmm!! Good example. I will try later the trial for horizon to check that…
Seriously, i am so annoyed by this problem…because everything else is just the perfection!!
yes i understand... that was the last problem i would have expected ! Everything else is just so nice.
Anyway, there is nothing we can do. Let's wait and hope

yes i understand... that was the last problem i would have expected ! Everything else is just so nice.
Anyway, there is nothing we can do. Let's wait and hope
Many people are saying that is my fault and i should adjust the IPL. I am sure that the calibration i did is correct. Boh, quite confused

Many people are saying that is my fault and i should adjust the IPL. I am sure that the calibration i did is correct. Boh, quite confused
There literally no way to mess up a calibration. It’s probably just how psvr2 works given that pass trough mode gives you the same “tiny world” effect and game just matches that.

Anybody noticed that in passthrough mode (Black/white) the actual world and objects are smaller 2!
About the same %. So this might be a PSVR firmware update that's needed. Instead of a GT7 one..
Nope, everything's bigger on my passthrough view.

Cars in GT7 maybe ever so slightly smaller than irl, but it's not off by much. In RE8 my hands are the correct size but my body is weirdly tiny in some cutscenes, and the laptop in the opening sequence at home is goofy, but some objects being hilariously off-scale is pretty normal in flatscreen -> VR conversions. That's different from every car being off-scale in a racing game though.

Don't know why they didn't just give people the option to adjust the scale, you can do it straight from the SteamVR menu or in-game settings in most games in PCVR and it doesn't affect anything else.

This is very unlikely to help, but might be worth a shot: try turning on the console and game without touching the IPD wheel at all. I've got at least one game on PC where the scale gets permanently smaller if I do any IPD adjustments in-game, and only restarting fixes it.

There literally no way to mess up a calibration. It’s probably just how psvr2 works given that pass trough mode gives you the same “tiny world” effect and game just matches that.
Actually the world scale is given by the software, regardless to the headset. Was thinking that my unit could have a problem and be slightly different than the one declared in the game, thus the discrepency. You know, like a batch production with messed up lenses or whatever.

There is little you can do wrong with the calibration. The IPD that matters is the one used by the ingame stereo camera. On the headset it just helps to get rid of blurriness by bringing the lense sweetspot just in front of your eyes, if i'm not mistaken.

Someone has made a comparison video of cockpit view vs VR, if you want to check it out side by side. Hard to tell if there are differences in scale though.

Someone has made a comparison video of cockpit view vs VR, if you want to check it out side by side. Hard to tell if there are differences in scale though.

As we said. The only way to really understand and notice the problem is try the game with psvr2.

I own an Evo X. The exterior scale of the car seems to be on point. The interior scale seems to be on the small end. Wheel diameter, shifter etc. Seems to be 90% scale or so. Not totally immersion breaking when you are driving, but noticeable when paying attention. Hopefully they fix this.

Back