Cursed Political Content

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 5,875 comments
TB
Correlation does not mean causation. :rolleyes:
Also, correlation is a statistical measure of the relationship between variables, so you need a lot of samples before you can start to draw any such conclusions. And in this case it’s not even a random sample so I find it hard to think of a scenario where the data could be less useful for a statistical study.

Electric cars aren't the answer though. You will never be able to charge an electric car as fast as you can fill up a petrol powered one. What's more is that they're less sustainable because once the battery dies, the car is toast like a smartphone. You can no longer use it, you can't sell it to someone else because the cost of a new battery is worth more than the car itself after 7 years or something (look how Telsas have plummeted in value), so it's only good for landfill. But wait, the dangerous chemicals inside them are particularly harmful to the environment, and the greenies won't like that. The great thing about combustion engined cars is that you can run them for many years with proper maintenance. You could, theoretically, run them indefinitely but oh no, you can't use oil because it's EVIL. Look I know it isn't the cleanest energy source but it's potent and a hell of a lot more convenient than electricity. The best option we have right now are hybrids because they combine the best of both worlds with fewer drawbacks compared to pure combustion or pure electric cars.
There is so much wrong in this post that I don't even know where to start.

OK, I lied, I do. Let's go for the potency claim, thermal efficiency in a road car with an ICE engine is between 20% and 40%, they are hideously inefficient (50% is achievable, but at the expense of increased wear and tear - and before we get the normal 'what about Hydrogen ICE conversions', you can half those numbers). Electric motors run at a thermal efficiency of between 70% and 95%, the very worst ones are still significantly more 'potent' than the best ICE ones.

Yes, there are problems with governmental dietary advice but this doctor (not of medicine as far as I can tell) really shouldn't be tweeting such nonsense.
But he has quack books to sell on Amazon!

Screenshot_20240401-160613.png

Last edited:
Electric cars aren't the answer though. You will never be able to charge an electric car as fast as you can fill up a petrol powered one. What's more is that they're less sustainable because once the battery dies, the car is toast like a smartphone. You can no longer use it, you can't sell it to someone else because the cost of a new battery is worth more than the car itself after 7 years or something (look how Telsas have plummeted in value), so it's only good for landfill. But wait, the dangerous chemicals inside them are particularly harmful to the environment, and the greenies won't like that. The great thing about combustion engined cars is that you can run them for many years with proper maintenance. You could, theoretically, run them indefinitely but oh no, you can't use oil because it's EVIL. Look I know it isn't the cleanest energy source but it's potent and a hell of a lot more convenient than electricity. The best option we have right now are hybrids because they combine the best of both worlds with fewer drawbacks compared to pure combustion or pure electric cars.
Scott. I love me some ICEs. I own some that I never want to sell.

But not only are electric cars the obvious answer, they're essentially inevitable. They're faster, simpler from a maintenance perspective, and they run on sunlight. I do understand that the technology is still relatively new, and that it's being refined continually (which drops used car prices). There are issues with weight, with charge speed, with range, with infrastructure, all that. They're far from perfect. But even in just a relative blink of an eye, they're obviously the solution.

They run on sunlight scott!

You may be right that the best option overall for a swiss army knife car right this second is a hybrid. I don't know, I'm not arguing otherwise. But I think your ultimate conclusion that electric isn't the future is clearly out of touch with what's happening.

Last edited:

But not only are electric cars the obvious answer, they're essentially inevitable. They're faster, simpler from a maintenance perspective, and they run on sunlight. I do understand that the technology is still relatively new, and that it's being refined continually (which drops used car prices). There are issues with weight, with charge speed, with range, with infrastructure, all that. They're far from perfect. But even in just a relative blink of an eye, they're obviously the solution.

You may be right that the best option overall for a swiss army knife car right this second is a hybrid. I don't know, I'm not arguing otherwise. But I think your ultimate conclusion that electric isn't the future is clearly out of touch with what's happening.
To be fair, in Scott's defense, there is a lot of misinformation around surrounding EV's that almost seems to deliberately cater to car enthusiasts. While there absolutely is valid criticisms to be had regarding EV's from a car enthusiast perspective - most notably, sound and weight - that criticism can then snowball into anti-EV propaganda real quick as you look around online, not helped by the likes of Toyota (themselves contributors to this mess) developing hydrogen ICE's in what seems like an attempt to win the enthusiast's favor, instilling a sense of hope that the noise and glory of ICE's wont fade.

And look. I like the noise and "feel" of ICE's too (who doesn't)? But for the vast majority of people, EV's just make more sense on a practical, rational level. The lack of noise, ease of maintenance, ease of charging. Hell, I'd probably drive an EV for my daily chores myself, if I needed a car for such things in the first place (I live in a small city in Sweden, FYI).

He looks like the kind of dude that would slip his date a mickey and/or not take no for an answer.
He looks like if the lovechild of Chris Farley and Leonardo di Caprio had been brought up to only ever ask for sparkling water with his static prosthetic right hand.

LOL, even his own VP doesn't want to touch him with a bargepole. I wOnDeR wHy?

View attachment 1342525
To answer the question in the tweet, Bush said during the 2020 election he would not endorse or vote for Trump. He wrote in Condoleezza Rice instead.

I would imagine he still holds that position today, esp. given that Trump insulted his brother repeatedly (like he does for everyone). It would have to be a big blow if Bush came out & supported Biden this time around but I think Bush will stay in his wheelhouse & support the Republican Party, just not Trump or his goons.

It would have to be a big blow if Bush came out & supported Biden this time around but I think Bush will stay in his wheelhouse & support the Republican Party, just not Trump or his goons.
Bush might realise that an endorsement of Biden and the Democrats from him might actually turn people away and it's smarter for him to stay quiet.

There is so much wrong in this post that I don't even know where to start.

OK, I lied, I do. Let's go for the potency claim, thermal efficiency in a road car with an ICE engine is between 20% and 40%, they are hideously inefficient (50% is achievable, but at the expense of increased wear and tear - and before we get the normal 'what about Hydrogen ICE conversions', you can half those numbers). Electric motors run at a thermal efficiency of between 70% and 95%, the very worst ones are still significantly more 'potent' than the best ICE ones.
I wasn't talking about thermal efficiency. Isn't it true that oil is a more potent energy source compared to electricity? A combustion engine may waste more potential energy but batteries aren't as rich in energy, hence why electric cars weigh soo much more.

I'm not out of touch by saying that electric cars aren't the future. They're a part of the future, yes, but I don't think the combustion engine is going anywhere any time soon. I don't see how all the vehicles on our roads will become electric.
To be fair, in Scott's defense, there is a lot of misinformation around surrounding EV's that almost seems to deliberately cater to car enthusiasts. While there absolutely is valid criticisms to be had regarding EV's from a car enthusiast perspective - most notably, sound and weight - that criticism can then snowball into anti-EV propaganda real quick as you look around online, not helped by the likes of Toyota (themselves contributors to this mess) developing hydrogen ICE's in what seems like an attempt to win the enthusiast's favor, instilling a sense of hope that the noise and glory of ICE's wont fade.

And look. I like the noise and "feel" of ICE's too (who doesn't)? But for the vast majority of people, EV's just make more sense on a practical, rational level. The lack of noise, ease of maintenance, ease of charging. Hell, I'd probably drive an EV for my daily chores myself, if I needed a car for such things in the first place (I live in a small city in Sweden, FYI).
Oh so that's what Toyota is peddling? Seriously?

I'm not out of touch by saying that electric cars aren't the future.
If electric cars aren't the future, then what is? ICE vehicles aren't going anywhere in the near future, but it will become cost-prohibitive for most people to own one. It's like horses. We still have and use horses, but they're a hobby, and they're expensive. ICE vehicles will be like that, although they will likely be cheaper than owning a horse.

If electric cars aren't the future, then what is? ICE vehicles aren't going anywhere in the near future, but it will become cost-prohibitive for most people to own one. It's like horses. We still have and use horses, but they're a hobby, and they're expensive. ICE vehicles will be like that, although they will likely be cheaper than owning a horse.
There's no definitive answer to what "the future" is. There's no singular solution that will cater for everyone, as we are seeing right now. However I do believe that hybrids will form a large part of car sales in the not to distant future. The only reason why combustion engined cars would become cost prohibitive is if governments taxed them HARD or there's another oil crisis.

There's no definitive answer to what "the future" is. There's no singular solution that will cater for everyone, as we are seeing right now. However I do believe that hybrids will form a large part of car sales in the not to distant future. The only reason why combustion engined cars would become cost prohibitive is if governments taxed them HARD or there's another oil crisis.
ICEs will become cost-prohibitive without government taxes or an oil crisis. Oil will get to the point where it doesn't make sense to use because it's so expensive. People could barely afford to fuel their vehicles when gas prices hit $5-$6 a gallon when Russia decided to roleplay the USSR. Fuel will continue an upward trend and will eventually not make sense to use for most of the population. Gasoline will always exist, but to use it day in and day out won't make sense.

Hybrids are a good interim solution while we figure out EVs and will likely be what a majority of vehicles are for a long time. But EVs will transition to the majority over the next 25 years. I look at where vehicles were when I started driving 20 years ago and where they are today. In just 20 years, they've changed drastically.

The only reason why combustion engined cars would become cost prohibitive is if governments taxed them HARD or there's another oil crisis.
...oooooooooorrrrrr they don't benefit from the economies of scale that they currently enjoy. ICEs rely on a lot of infrastructure and volume of consumption.

I wasn't talking about thermal efficiency.
Then maybe you could have been clearer.
Isn't it true that oil is a more potent energy source compared to electricity?
Nope, Lithium-Air batteries' maximal density (currently in a lab), exceeds the energy density of petrol.
A combustion engine may waste more potential energy but batteries aren't as rich in energy, hence why electric cars weigh soo much more.
Ah, so you're talking about what is currently commercially viable to use in an EV. The problem with that logic is that it assumes battery tech is static and unchanging. The current track is for EV viable energy density in batteries to exceed that of petrol by 2035.

I'm not out of touch by saying that electric cars aren't the future. They're a part of the future, yes, but I don't think the combustion engine is going anywhere any time soon. I don't see how all the vehicles on our roads will become electric.

I'm not out of touch by saying that Karl Benz's new-fangled cars aren't the future. They're a part of the future, yes, but I don't think the horse is going anywhere any time soon. I don't see how all the vehicles on our roads will become cars.

Oh so that's what Toyota is peddling? Seriously?
You think they are alone, here's another example from Aston Martin.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great website you've got there.

romeo-juliet.jpg

[conservative bitchfit over the piddliest of things]

"The Jews did this."

god-botherers
Of course your broader point was great, but I just love this. I'm definitely going to work it into my personal lexicon. Can't believe I haven't heard it before. It's very...Douglas Adams.

We've called them god-botherers over here since I was a kid, especially the kind that show up at one's doorstep or loudly proselytise in public places.

I hope this incel stays celibate. Yikes.

Screenshot_20240403-000009.png

Last edited:
Back