Cursed Political Content

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 5,984 comments
If the story of Romeo & Juliet didn't change, then what's the problem? The message is still the same & it's not like they're real people.

Just say, "BWAHHH, black person!" We all know these folks are not that subtle with their racism.

ICEs will become cost-prohibitive without government taxes or an oil crisis. Oil will get to the point where it doesn't make sense to use because it's so expensive. People could barely afford to fuel their vehicles when gas prices hit $5-$6 a gallon when Russia decided to roleplay the USSR. Fuel will continue an upward trend and will eventually not make sense to use for most of the population. Gasoline will always exist, but to use it day in and day out won't make sense.

Hybrids are a good interim solution while we figure out EVs and will likely be what a majority of vehicles are for a long time. But EVs will transition to the majority over the next 25 years. I look at where vehicles were when I started driving 20 years ago and where they are today. In just 20 years, they've changed drastically.
Oil prices will rise, yes, but won't the price of electricity too? Because that's what's happening in Australia.
...oooooooooorrrrrr they don't benefit from the economies of scale that they currently enjoy. ICEs rely on a lot of infrastructure and volume of consumption.
I can't argue with that.
Nope, Lithium-Air batteries' maximal density (currently in a lab), exceeds the energy density of petrol.
Interesting.
Ah, so you're talking about what is currently commercially viable to use in an EV. The problem with that logic is that it assumes battery tech is static and unchanging. The current track is for EV viable energy density in batteries to exceed that of petrol by 2035.
Even with the evolution of battery technology, I'm not seeing how you can charge a 90KW/H battery in 3 minutes.
I'm not out of touch by saying that Karl Benz's new-fangled cars aren't the future. They're a part of the future, yes, but I don't think the horse is going anywhere any time soon. I don't see how all the vehicles on our roads will become cars.
The logic is sound here but the world has changed a lot in 125 years. The amount of cars on the road today is far greater than the amount of horses that were walking around in 1899. But maybe it will work out the same way. It's not impossible, I guess.
You think they are alone, here's another example from Aston Martin.

Well that's controversial.

Oil prices will rise, yes, but won't the price of electricity too? Because that's what's happening in Australia.
No? Why would it? We make electricity from many different sources, and it's continuing to shift. In the US, a majority of our power comes from natural gas or coal.

Per this:

Only 2% of Australia's power is generated through oil, so you should be fine as well.

No? Why would it? We make electricity from many different sources, and it's continuing to shift. In the US, a majority of our power comes from natural gas or coal.

Per this:

Only 2% of Australia's power is generated through oil, so you should be fine as well.
You are correct in saying that we don't rely on oil for energy production, but power prices in Australia have risen a lot lately. My parents will tell you that they've had to pay more for their electricity compared to 20 years ago. Crazy, isn't it?

You are correct in saying that we don't rely on oil for energy production, but power prices in Australia have risen a lot lately. My parents will tell you that they've had to pay more for their electricity compared to 20 years ago. Crazy, isn't it?
I mean everything is more expensive than it was 20 years ago. With power, much of that has come from making power production cleaner, which has raised the price. There's also an increased demand for electricity, which in turn, raises the price.

At the end of the day, though, it's still going to be cheaper to put 300 miles worth of energy into an EV than an ICE vehicle. In the US, charging a Tesla Model 3 from dead to full costs about $15. In contrast, to go 300 miles in something like an FWD Toyota Camry with the 2.5L I4, you're looking at around $36.

You mean adjusted for inflation or....

I mean everything is more expensive than it was 20 years ago. With power, much of that has come from making power production cleaner, which has raised the price. There's also an increased demand for electricity, which in turn, raises the price.

At the end of the day, though, it's still going to be cheaper to put 300 miles worth of energy into an EV than an ICE vehicle. In the US, charging a Tesla Model 3 from dead to full costs about $15. In contrast, to go 300 miles in something like an FWD Toyota Camry with the 2.5L I4, you're looking at around $36.

It's still more expensive, even when it is adjusted for inflation.

About 23% up in the last twelve months where I live. I've had a fairly decent sized solar system for about 4 years now and my electricity bill is almost back to where it was before I had the system. I paid $120 for my last months bill while running a 25 panel 10kw system.

It's crazy down here... but so are petrol prices. $1.99.5 per litre for U98 (which two of my cars run on) is the cheapest for me today.

We're screwed!

It's still more expensive, even when it is adjusted for inflation.
About 23% up in the last twelve months where I live. I've had a fairly decent sized solar system for about 4 years now and my electricity bill is almost back to where it was before I had the system. I paid $120 for my last months bill while running a 25 panel 10kw system.

It's crazy down here... but so are petrol prices. $1.99.5 per litre for U98 (which two of my cars run on) is the cheapest for me today.

We're screwed!
It does seem to be an Australia-specific thing as best I can tell. Time to add more panels?

It does seem to be an Australia-specific thing as best I can tell.
Yeah, very much so I think.

Time to add more panels?
No point unfortunately. Electricity providers have all of us, except the early adopters, over a barrel. My system can easily make 60KWh per day but I'm only allowed to feed 40KWh back into the grid. We need the price of battery storage to drop enough to make it worth while... but then the providers will just up the fees more and lessen the amount we can feed back in to the grid. Edit: They already pay us next to nothing for what we feed back in.

Screwed I tell ya!

Last edited:
Yeah, very much so I think.

No point unfortunately. Electricity providers have all of us, except the early adopters, over a barrel. My system can easily make 60KWh per day but I'm only allowed to feed 40KWh back into the grid. We need the price of battery storage to drop enough to make it worth while... but then the providers will just up the fees more and lessen the amount we can feed back in to the grid. Edit: They already pay us next to nothing for what we feed back in.

Screwed I tell ya!
Hmmm... off grid maybe? Some of the newer EVs can function as a battery.

Hmmm... off grid maybe?
I wish it was that simple but it's just too cost prohibitive for a house of my size at this point, but with the way the price of electricity is going I don't think it will be much longer before the benefits will out way the negatives of battery lifespan.

Some of the newer EVs can function as a battery.
Not really ideal when we'd need to be charging the car at night time ready for daytime running instead of drawing from it. I'm not sure my wife's boss would be too keen on her using their workplace as a charging station.

Free power from the sun they say... yeah right. Not for us in the land of tax everything that moves, or if it doesn't move, give it a shove and tax it anyway. ;)

Even with the evolution of battery technology, I'm not seeing how you can charge a 90KW/H battery in 3 minutes.
With the next-gen of batteries made with carbon Nano-tubes, you can get to under 15mins, and that's also ignoring the single biggest difference between the two. The vast majority can't refuel an ICE car at home overnight, yet with an EV your average driver will need to go to a public charge point a tiny number of times a year, with the majority being done overnight at home.
The logic is sound here but the world has changed a lot in 125 years. The amount of cars on the road today is far greater than the amount of horses that were walking around in 1899. But maybe it will work out the same way. It's not impossible, I guess.
It's not about a direct comparison, it's about he mind-set.
Well that's controversial.
It's far from isolated, any negative news piece on EVs needs to be treated with a massive degree of scepticism.

Last edited:
[conservative bitchfit over the piddliest of things]

"The Jews did this."
How dare 'they' change the narrative of the classic story of sexual relationships between a 16 year old and a 13 year old.

It looks like they used a public charging station for the EV instead of charging it at home. Those public stations often are 100-200% more expensive per kWh than what your home is. A vast majority of people who use EVs and would benefit from using EVs would charge them at home since very few people go 300+ miles per day.

It looks like they used a public charging station for the EV instead of charging it at home. Those public stations often are 100-200% more expensive per kWh than what your home is. A vast majority of people who use EVs and would benefit from using EVs would charge them at home since very few people go 300+ miles per day.
The average in Australia is 33km a day by car, in line with averages in Europe.

That surprises me a bit. I always figured I was on the low end of the scale (maybe still am for the US) but I'm at about 32km/day during the week, decidedly less for the weekend.

TB
That surprises me a bit. I always figured I was on the low end of the scale (maybe still am for the US) but I'm at about 32km/day during the week, decidedly less for the weekend.
You definitely are, the average in the US is about 30 miles per day.

That surprised me a little. Not doubting it at all just surprised.
I suppose my work commute of 57km each way skews my perspective on it.

That surprised me a little. Not doubting it at all just surprised.
I suppose my work commute of 57km each way skews my perspective on it.
Yep it's always going to skewed by individual perspective, in contrast apart from 1day a week my commute is zero km, so drag it down a lot.

I totally agree. Over the summer of 2022, I obsessively logged my daily miles driven. My goal was to understand how an EV might fit into my life, and whether I was justified in worrying about range issues.

My average miles per day was relatively high at 62.8 (a shade over 100 km). However, there was only one day in that summer when I would have had to charge on the road. I also looked back over previous years to identify what overnight trips we took.

My conclusion was that I would almost always be benefiting from the convenience of charging in my own garage. We might average 2 or 3 summer trips per year which involve one or more nights away, and these would be the only cases where we would be paying a higher rate per kWh and having to wait near the car while it charged.

We might average 2 or 3 summer trips per year which involve one or more nights away, and these would be the only cases where we would be paying a higher rate per kWh and having to wait near the car while it charged.
It can be nice to rent a car for a road trip. Just in case you or anyone else here hadn't thought of it. I used to do it often, and felt like I practically stole the car for the trip. I'd return with thousands of more miles on the odometer and generally quite a bit dirtier and with bugs embedded in the paint, and I'd just hand them the keys and be done with it.

It doesn't always make sense, and the rental agreement can have mileage limitations.

If I drove (don’t have a license or car!!)

Mine would be 84km per month commute. Double that if I was driving the wife into work.

We walk or public transport ourselves about, we also shop locally so within about 0.96km walk to the shops. For us a small electric vehicle (Leaf etc.) would be more than adequate, we just can’t justify the cost.

This has gotta be some kind of ragebait engagement farming:

GKUUwyaXYAA0npq.jpeg

He never learned how to use a calculator, it seems. Order of operations get reset on the calculator if you hit the "=" key.

Lol, what a weird attempt to spin that, as if Ian didn’t say that with full confidence in his stupidity.

Last edited:
Back