Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,131 comments
It isn't necessarily my own gaming online but more with other people and also games in person.

To put some examples, I'm in 2 different Mario Kart social groups since the AU/NZ finals, its given me some insight, the groups have their ups and downs but how they treat the other group with one looking down on the other and that other just not letting things go and making direct attacks towards people is apalling and these arent just one off groups they're pretty popular in terms of Mario Kart communities in Australia.

And in real life, I play a game called Cardfight Vanguard and a friend is making this really uncomfortable constantly talking herself down when she loses and extremely bitter to anyone who might have more luck than her. You try to calm her down by trying to let her know its just a game and she holds as much as she can not to snap at you, she recently told me for her this game is her only way to connect with me and others which is meant to explain why she takes the results so seriously.

All this just leaves me baffled and puts my own thoughts in perspective like there is something wrong with me for not being so serious. For me, I just play games because there something staisfying to play through and I get a rush when nailing something and even if I fail, the attempt is still quite fun in itself, even doing extreme "try hard" strategies to get to the win can just make the overall game exciting which I care more than just if I do actually win. Sure I might get frustrated but I try my best to bounce back and just like the thrill of doing it with other people but it seems it just causes distain and resentment in this enviornment and I'm probably way out of my place to even try playing games with friends or even meet new friends online.

Leaves me stuck not wanting to be social with it and I'm meant to just be alone.
Perhaps its just the demographic you are online mixing with, if its younger folks playing with you you could be mixing with folks who have not developed empathy yet. Is there intrinsic value to server data? Does winning actually matter? Certainly many folks chase online leader boards and crave likes on social media, but what meaning is there to this? Certainly keep doing what you enjoy, maybe avoid toxicity by changing things up its under your control. Myself I avoid triggers and toxic people, try to surround yourself with positive people.

Feels like there's always a small bit of positivity that gets overshadowed by more and more negatives piling up. It's already been a stressful year with the ridiculous $2,000+ medical bill that came up from a incident that worker's compensation denied. (Felt ill at my work, but had to come in to make up for the time spent off and fainted. Which worker's comp didn't consider a work incident) Then to add to that, found out a few weeks ago that my landlords had finally sold the apartment (They had mentioned it a while before, but hadn't found a buyer yet) to a new owner using a property management company and rent is increasing by $800 a month next year. (And it's going up in December by a $140, then to the $800 in January) Gotta love being priced out of the town you grew up in with it's ever growing gentrification. Already being paid crap at my job and can just barely afford the current payments, but the increase is basically the price of a mortgage for a 70s apartment that's falling apart. My brother (who is my roommate) can live with the increase, but not so much myself and I don't want to burden him.

All this on top of not searching/finding a new therapist since my last one had died two years ago now. I still think of her and can't wrap my head around what happened to this day. Feeling more and more hopeless yet frustrated with not just myself but how things are going in society. Always looking at the bad news, especially the concerning feeling of having a mass shooting in "one of the safest" states in the US.

Feeling burnt out of so many things, especially work. Working with people who could care less about teamwork and screw not only myself, but themselves and others over for the stupidest things. Driving a supposedly "easy" 15 minute commute to work in the higher populated county and just trying to survive. I swear people act like getting to work or driving like a maniac on their commute is the most important/exciting things in their lives. It just feels like a rat race for nothing, other than paying bills.

Just feeling hopeless with things that have been going on and once again wanting to just hide away from everything. I don't want to work anymore, don't want to even go outside anymore and deal with the selfishness nature of everyone, or even talk/post things online. Still needing to push myself to find a new therapist to help overcome these feelings.

@MedigoFlame Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time of it right now, and I can totally sympathise with the feeling of being surrounded by selfish, uncaring people - even though I'm extremely lucky to not be in that situation right now myself, but I do know exactly how that feels from bitter, prior experience.

The over-riding tone of your post, however, is that in spite of the selfishness and greed of others, that you are fighting and doing your best. Good on you for that, and give yourself credit. It's also great that you are living with your brother and that he can help you out for the time being - don't feel guilty about it, use all the help and unselfishness you can get, and kudos to your brother for looking out for you.

I hope you can get a new therapist soon, it sounds like you know what you need.

And although I can understand and sympathise with the feeling of wanting to hide away, my only advice is don't. Keep yourself out there, invite a mate round for a drink or go for lunch or coffee with someone from work, keep posting on GTP and any other social media (that aren't horrible cesspits, that is) and reach out to friends and family, and don't be afraid of showing your hand and telling people that you aren't finding things easy. God knows the world is hard enough without feeling that there is no-one to talk to about it.

@MedigoFlame Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time of it right now, and I can totally sympathise with the feeling of being surrounded by selfish, uncaring people - even though I'm extremely lucky to not be in that situation right now myself, but I do know exactly how that feels from bitter, prior experience.

The over-riding tone of your post, however, is that in spite of the selfishness and greed of others, that you are fighting and doing your best. Good on you for that, and give yourself credit. It's also great that you are living with your brother and that he can help you out for the time being - don't feel guilty about it, use all the help and unselfishness you can get, and kudos to your brother for looking out for you.

I hope you can get a new therapist soon, it sounds like you know what you need.

And although I can understand and sympathise with the feeling of wanting to hide away, my only advice is don't. Keep yourself out there, invite a mate round for a drink or go for lunch or coffee with someone from work, keep posting on GTP and any other social media (that aren't horrible cesspits, that is) and reach out to friends and family, and don't be afraid of showing your hand and telling people that you aren't finding things easy. God knows the world is hard enough without feeling that there is no-one to talk to about it.
I suppose there have been some positives to come out of it, like my brother and I looking at a house now instead of renting. We probably could still continue renting, but feels like we've outgrown that stage. (Mostly due to the costs being so high and having more stuff) Just the feeling of selfishness in society has grown, with people thinking for themselves and no one else. Whether it's commuting to work, trying to get through the grocery store, or going to a restaurant, it's always the "me first! me first!" mentality.

It certainly hasn't helped while at work, where just about everyone in any department dumps something on me and expects me to clean up a mess that should not have been made in the first place. Communication is terrible between co-workers and it feels that way outside of work too. Most of my friends have gotten married, a house, kids, or in a relationship, etc, so we haven't really connected in a while with life getting in the way. A few I still try to spend time with, but we can hardly get our schedules to align.

My brother has probably been the one person really keeping me going throughout all these years. It feels a bit clingy and like I'm nothing but a dependent on him, but he's brought me out of my darkest times. He pushes me to go out and experience things as well as turning things around from my mostly pessimistic mindset.

I do find GTP to be one of the places I enjoy coming to, to post and discuss things like hobbies, opinions, and what not. Acquaintances and friends on social media platforms have been good to me for the most part, but of course there are the ones who don't say a thing, other than bringing it up elsewhere and making things worse. I recently had a mental break(down) at work and without thinking said some not so kind things about my work without blocking co-workers, who went and told the managers. Getting myself in more trouble and making things worse, so I know I should probably stay off that and not let co-workers see what I say. Been wanting to leave this job ever since I started 4+ years ago, but I don't know where to go from there without falling back into the same cycle. I keep hearing "Why don't you just go back to school? It's not that hard, doesn't take long, and helps a bunch!" But something keeps holding me back from doing it and I only hate myself more thinking about it.

It's certainly not as easy as just saying that you could get a new job or go back to school, but with planning, timing and some support, it can be done. It sounds like you'd be better off out of your current work situation, but for the meantime you can at least take solace in the fact that you are still working and earning your bit towards your rent etc., even in spite of difficult circumstances.

Don't give yourself a hard time for 'holding back' though - it's totally understandable and it is not easy to change things at the drop of a hat.

As for being more disconnected from friends who have families, tell me about it. Most of my old friends are exactly the same as you describe, and while we are all still friends, we don't spend anything like the same amount of time together as we used to, but that too is understandable. I try to take it in my stride, but it is difficult to reconcile the fact that friends can't necessarily be there for you (or vice versa) as much as in the past. That said, as people and times change, one can adapt to mitigate this - ironically, COVID and lockdown brought me and my old pals together more often than we've done in recent years as we had online chats, drinks, poker games etc. every few weeks - since then, however, I'm luckily if I've seen some of them once a year. But collectively we all still make the effort to stay in touch, and that has been invaluable in the last few years, even if we rarely meet up in person any more.

It certainly hasn't helped while at work, where just about everyone in any department dumps something on me and expects me to clean up a mess that should not have been made in the first place. Communication is terrible between co-workers and it feels that way outside of work too. Most of my friends have gotten married, a house, kids, or in a relationship, etc, so we haven't really connected in a while with life getting in the way. A few I still try to spend time with, but we can hardly get our schedules to align.
I have the same situation at work. We're so understaffed that it seems everything to do with our shop flows through me. And that's not a good thing. We also have zero communication between departments. They expect me to do everything for them. When I come back from vacation I always get the "I'm so glad you're back" when I really know the only reason they're glad I'm back is that now they don't have to do their jobs anymore, they can depend on me to do it for them. It's such a drain on me.

I'm pretty sure my anxiety/depression/mental health status would greatly improve if my daily workload could just be reduced to what I'm actually responsible for and not what I have to do for others.

I suppose there have been some positives to come out of it, like my brother and I looking at a house now instead of renting. We probably could still continue renting, but feels like we've outgrown that stage. (Mostly due to the costs being so high and having more stuff) Just the feeling of selfishness in society has grown, with people thinking for themselves and no one else. Whether it's commuting to work, trying to get through the grocery store, or going to a restaurant, it's always the "me first! me first!" mentality.

My brother has probably been the one person really keeping me going throughout all these years. It feels a bit clingy and like I'm nothing but a dependent on him, but he's brought me out of my darkest times. He pushes me to go out and experience things as well as turning things around from my mostly pessimistic mindset.

I do find GTP to be one of the places I enjoy coming to, to post and discuss things like hobbies, opinions, and what not. Acquaintances and friends on social media platforms have been good to me for the most part, but of course there are the ones who don't say a thing, other than bringing it up elsewhere and making things worse. I recently had a mental break(down) at work and without thinking said some not so kind things about my work without blocking co-workers, who went and told the managers. Getting myself in more trouble and making things worse, so I know I should probably stay off that and not let co-workers see what I say. Been wanting to leave this job ever since I started 4+ years ago, but I don't know where to go from there without falling back into the same cycle. I keep hearing "Why don't you just go back to school? It's not that hard, doesn't take long, and helps a bunch!" But something keeps holding me back from doing it and I only hate myself more thinking about it.

We're at slightly different stages of life, but I can relate to your last point about school. I never had any idea what I wanted to do for a living, and I largely still don't, but because of that, going to school felt like such a pointless endeavor because I didn't even know what I wanted out of it. I've oscillated between going to school and working part-time, or not going to school and working full-time several times now. After the spring semester in 2020, I waited things out until the following spring in order to avoid taking online classes, but that was the period of time in which I became disillusioned with work. I learned that it wasn't worth the trouble to go out of your way for a job. At my work, you able to work at different locations, so I was able to get a change of scenery and distance myself from the problems. When I bottomed out at work, the prospect of going back to school suddenly became much more appealing, if only because it wasn't work. I returned to school the following spring, and even though I was still chipping away at classes for something I didn't care about, I appreciated the change of pace from solely working all the time. However, since I still didn't feel like I was working towards a clear goal, I took another hiatus until last fall when I decided I wanted to study psychology, and completed the remainder of my classes. I still don't know what I want to do for a living, but I don't worry about that so much now that I've finally chosen something to study that interests me.

I'm still at the same job that I described before. In fact, this summer I returned to the location that took so much of a toll on me before, but I'm in a different headspace now than I was then. In my personal life, I've been lucky enough to have been surrounded by good people in my friends and family, but because of that, I had no experience in enforcing boundaries. In January I will have been at my job for 5 years, the longest I've stayed at a job, but it's been a constant struggle of enforcing boundaries and standing my ground. I'm not advocating for selfishness, and I'm not suggesting that you slack either, but I do a good enough job that when coworkers approach me with unreasonable demands, or just asking me to flat-out do the work for them, I have no qualms about politely but firmly letting them know when they've crossed the line and when they need to finish what they started. My workplace experiences are colored by the fact that my coworkers are my peers - other young, college-aged men, which means most of my coworkers are really flaky and low on conscientiousness. When I'm at work, I try my best to stay in a good headspace (which is still often unsuccessful), but my disposition leads people to think that I'll acquiesce to whatever unreasonable proposition they're pushing.

In summary, I hope you'll find my ramblings helpful, because I've always enjoyed your posts. The main idea of my reply is to illustrate that it's taken time for me to learn how to balance work and school, but along the way, I learned to appreciate both for what they are, and what they aren't. At my job, there's coworkers who don't care enough, and coworkers who care too much. The coworkers who care too much end up getting burnt out and jaded. It happened to me, and I was really down about it for a while. As time passed, I reoriented my views on work and school. In respect to work, I realized that all I can do is do a good job, but I can't really exert meaningful control over anything outside myself. It seems so obvious when typed out, but it's been so liberating for me. Nothing has really changed at work; there's still problems all the time and a good majority of my coworkers are incompetent. Only now, it doesn't feel like such a big deal anymore. My expectations are always zero. When things get screwed up, I'm never surprised anymore. I just do my job, and at the end of the day I don't take it home with me because I've done everything I can do, so there's nothing that I should worry about.

It isn't necessarily my own gaming online but more with other people and also games in person.

To put some examples, I'm in 2 different Mario Kart social groups since the AU/NZ finals, its given me some insight, the groups have their ups and downs but how they treat the other group with one looking down on the other and that other just not letting things go and making direct attacks towards people is apalling and these arent just one off groups they're pretty popular in terms of Mario Kart communities in Australia.

And in real life, I play a game called Cardfight Vanguard and a friend is making this really uncomfortable constantly talking herself down when she loses and extremely bitter to anyone who might have more luck than her. You try to calm her down by trying to let her know its just a game and she holds as much as she can not to snap at you, she recently told me for her this game is her only way to connect with me and others which is meant to explain why she takes the results so seriously.

All this just leaves me baffled and puts my own thoughts in perspective like there is something wrong with me for not being so serious. For me, I just play games because there something staisfying to play through and I get a rush when nailing something and even if I fail, the attempt is still quite fun in itself, even doing extreme "try hard" strategies to get to the win can just make the overall game exciting which I care more than just if I do actually win. Sure I might get frustrated but I try my best to bounce back and just like the thrill of doing it with other people but it seems it just causes distain and resentment in this enviornment and I'm probably way out of my place to even try playing games with friends or even meet new friends online.

Leaves me stuck not wanting to be social with it and I'm meant to just be alone.
I used to take online league racing very seriously right up until my grandad passed, after which I changed my opinion. Losing a game is nothing compared to losing a family member, so just have fun with it and come what may. I thought that a bad performance online was a bad reflection of me as a person, and I got really annoyed as a result. My attitude rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because they just wanted to enjoy themselves and not get into any conflict. Now I no longer care about the end goal because people aren't going to change their opinion of me if I get "bad" results. It's not an indication of your character and it doesn't define you. There's no pointing beating yourself up over something trivial that won't have a massive impact on your life. I understand the importance of gaming when it comes to connecting with others and staying sane, but don't place too much emphasis on it or you won't ever be happy. You are not in the wrong for just wanting to have fun. If someone keeps getting upset about it, they aren't worth your time.

Well, looks like I fell again and back to boozing even more.
Hide you cards and cash with somebody else, a trustable person ideally.

Sweat it out.

Have you discovered a cause?
For me it’s boredom and loneliness.

Hide you cards and cash with somebody else, a trustable person ideally.

Sweat it out.

Have you discovered a cause?
For me it’s boredom and loneliness.
I guess that's the root.

I've been feeling empty these days. I have anger issues that I'm trying to keep in control and most of the time I'm improving which is really great but I don't know how it came to this. To be clear I'm not an angry drunk, I usually just fell asleep almost immediately after a night of booze.

I'm just horrified right now but at the same time I feel like I'm slowly spiralling. Couldn't even read books or even play video games anymore. It's weird.

Feeling numb is a normal experience for depression, which you’ll be aware of if you’ve been through it before.

That’s usually the point when I double my dose of meds for a few days to stop it spreading into despair.

If you’re drinking to feel, the boozing is just temporary anaesthetic. It won’t have any benefit once the last drink is done. And taking a depressant when depressed is a poor idea.

I managed to see alcohol for the poison it truly is, which has helped me stop boozing almost entirely. I now consider it as filthy as pop and won’t drinking it readily.

It takes some self realisation but I’m sure it’s helped untold people get a handle on alcoholism and binge drinking.

Feeling numb is a normal experience for depression, which you’ll be aware of if you’ve been through it before.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't prepared to go through it again. I'll try laying off drinking again. Gonna be tough.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't prepared to go through it again. I'll try laying off drinking again. Gonna be tough.
Keep the faith in yourself. If you can’t outright quit, which is very difficult, reducing your intake might be a more manageable goal.

Thanks for sharing such an important reminder about mental health. Keeping the faith in ourselves can make a world of difference. Your suggestion about reducing intake is spot-on – small steps can lead to big changes. Also, if anyone needs more support or resources, check out fherehab.com for some helpful insights. Remember, you're not alone in this journey!

Last edited:
"It's the most wonderful time of the year." It can also be the most stressing and most depressing. Be sure to get help you may need as well as go through any forms of therapy and healing if you feel down around this time of year. One thing to remember in all of this is that we all are fighting the same battle, so don't feel as if you're alone. You surely have the power to overcome these odds with love and support. Pain isn't forever. Failure isn't forever. You WILL pull through this one way or another.

Don't let depression and/or anxiety win.

I don't look to New Year's Resolutions, but do try to find help for your depression and/or anxiety in the upcoming year. Of course, be sure you're stable mentally for the remainder of this year.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year." It can also be the most stressing and most depressing. Be sure to get help you may need as well as go through any forms of therapy and healing if you feel down around this time of year. One thing to remember in all of this is that we all are fighting the same battle, so don't feel as if you're alone. You surely have the power to overcome these odds with love and support. Pain isn't forever. Failure isn't forever. You WILL pull through this one way or another.

Thanks, John. Stay blessed.

Happy new year, GTPlaneteers! It's a new year, so that means you should set your mind towards starting anew and not letting the low points of the previous year cross into the new year. Remember to seek help from others if people nearby are available. And most of all...

The New Year always brings a sense of looming dread for me, as it reinforces that I've wasted another year not progressing, not making improvements and just generally being a miserable sod. I'd ignored all my friends from June until last month and purged everything (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) to deliberately make it as hard as possible to get a hold of me. Suffice to say, none of them noticed. No socialising besides work and with family for more or less six months. The days were filled with going to work, coming home, playing games for a few hours (more to kill time, rather than enjoyment) before laying in bed wondering why I'm even on this planet.
Yep, the exact same situation. Absolutely nothing has changed. What's the point of any of this? Work, relationships, hobbies, its all just meaningless. I truly don't see how people can be happy with their lot in life; I envy them, but I don't understand them. The good moments are just fleeting distractions from the cold harsh reality, which is that its all going to be for nothing in the end, so why even try? I'm so tired of it all, but there's an element of security of staying in a crappy situation that you at least understand, so I don't want to make an effort to better myself - better the Devil you know and all that.

Rambling here. I'm sure I'll snap out of it and go back to bottling it up. It's worked for 10+ years, so why stop now?

Yep, the exact same situation. Absolutely nothing has changed. What's the point of any of this? Work, relationships, hobbies, its all just meaningless. I truly don't see how people can be happy with their lot in life; I envy them, but I don't understand them. The good moments are just fleeting distractions from the cold harsh reality, which is that its all going to be for nothing in the end, so why even try? I'm so tired of it all, but there's an element of security of staying in a crappy situation that you at least understand, so I don't want to make an effort to better myself - better the Devil you know and all that.

Rambling here. I'm sure I'll snap out of it and go back to bottling it up. It's worked for 10+ years, so why stop now?
When was the last time, if there was, that you didn't feel like this for a prolonged period?

2015 maybe? My social life was a lot better, I had a tinge of optimism as I was coming to the end of my teenage years and my job, while worse, felt like less of a waste of my time, as I had other things to look forward to outside of it. I wouldn't say I was overtly 'happy' during that time either, but I felt at peace of sorts and content with where I was at, and signs that a bit of applying myself in certain areas could turn things around.

Fast forward nearly nine years and I'm now rapidly approaching my 30s, with a dead end job, stuck with my parents still, enough cash to put a deposit down on a place but not enough income to afford a mortgage (and anxious about renting in a bad area / from a bad landlord), friends who I don't feel I relate to anymore, no stories to share, no passions or vested interests. I'm just... here.

Fast forward nearly nine years and I'm now rapidly approaching my 30s, with a dead end job, stuck with my parents still, enough cash to put a deposit down on a place but not enough income to afford a mortgage (and anxious about renting in a bad area / from a bad landlord)
How about a house-share?

When I got my first 'proper' job in London, I got a room in a shared house and it went OK (but it wasn't exactly perfect). After 6 months, I moved in to another house, and ended up living there for 5 years. It varied from being awesome (for around 3 years) to being a bit of a hassle, but in general it was a great move as it allowed me to live and work in London where I met a ton of great people.

Don't get me wrong - it is far from perfect, but late 20's/early 30's is an ideal time to house-share; it's a good way to live independently without breaking the bank, and in my case it allowed me to save for the deposit on my flat. I was 37 by the time I could afford to buy my own place (though I also rented my own place from aged 32).

House-sharing can also open up a wealth of possibilities in terms of where you might live and work. I got a job in London and found a room about half a mile from work, so I didn't need a car or public transport. Granted, I lived with my auntie and uncle for 2 months while I looked for somewhere to live, but if you don't have family who can help, you can always stay in a B&B or a short-term (like 3 months) lease while you look for something.

friends who I don't feel I relate to anymore, no stories to share, no passions or vested interests. I'm just... here.
To coin a cliched old phrase, Rome wasn't built in a day - but you can start to work on these things.

Since I've had my own place, I've gradually rediscovered a lot of interests that had fallen by the wayside while I focused on my studies, my work and my relationships. Now I choose to be single and live alone, but I am still quite socially active, and my family live nearby too, so I don't feel isolated in any way by choosing the single life - but you don't even need your own place (or to be single 😅) to cultivate your own interests.

However it is important (for me anyway) to devote time to 'personal' interests - playing guitar, songwriting, cooking, gaming, snooker etc., all stuff that I used to do when I was younger but neglected for many years. It takes time for interests and skills to build, but it's relatively easy to set aside time to develop new (or indeed old) interests - but it won't just 'happen', you have to make it happen.

Songwriting is a very personal and solo pursuit for me, but while it mostly involves me beavering away alone in my flat, it has also led to me becoming part of a community online and sharing stuff with people all over the world, not to mention various offers to join bands or to collaborate with people. It's kind of like gaming - it doesn't need to be entirely solo/anti-social; hobbies can be a great way to meet like-minded people, either online or beyond. Ultimately, doing stuff that involves other people - either just for a bit of interaction, or because your skills/knowledge might end up helping other people in some ways, can be very rewarding and a great use of your time.

Last edited:
How about a house-share?
Its a similar situation to renting where I'd be antsy about the people I'd end up with. A few friends and I were considering sharing a flat, but then the pandemic hit, various factors changed for everyone else and it just fell by the wayside. I'm not against the idea of moving away, though I feel a shake up like that would kind of exacerbate my feelings of being alone, even if the living situation is vastly different.

Reading your comment actually gave me the idea to look up houses or flats, and actually working out the finance side, I think I'm a bit better off than anticipated. I'll have to properly look into all this at some point, but the cig packet maths mean that I may have originally overestimated what I'd have been paying / what I'd have left, instead of what could be possible after a bit more saving (one big advantage of not doing anything with my time - lots of money sat around not doing anything).
To coin a cliched old phrase, Rome wasn't built in a day - but you can start to work on these things.

Since I've had my own place, I've gradually rediscovered a lot of interests that had fallen by the wayside while I focused on my studies, my work and my relationships. Now I choose to be single and live alone, but I am still quite socially active, and my family live nearby too, so I don't feel isolated in any way by choosing the single life - but you don't even need your own place (or to be single 😅) to cultivate your own interests.

However it is important (for me anyway) to devote time to 'personal' interests - playing guitar, songwriting, cooking, gaming, snooker etc., all stuff that I used to do when I was younger but neglected for many years. It takes time for interests and skills to build, but it's relatively easy to set aside time to develop new (or indeed old) interests - but it won't just 'happen', you have to make it happen.

Songwriting is a very personal and solo pursuit for me, but while it mostly involves me beavering away alone in my flat, it has also led to me becoming part of a community online and sharing stuff with people all over the world, not to mention various offers to join bands or to collaborate with people. It's kind of like gaming - it doesn't need to be entirely solo/anti-social; hobbies can be a great way to meet like-minded people, either online or beyond. Ultimately, doing stuff that involves other people - either just for a bit of interaction, or because your skills/knowledge might end up helping other people in some ways, can be very rewarding and a great use of your time.
I did consider getting back into drawing, as that was something I used to enjoy (even if I was never very good), as well as writing. If I could somehow channel all my frustrations into those I think I'd be golden! Gaming is what I fill most of my evenings with, so for the past couple years it feels more like a routine than something I actively enjoy. That said, I do occasionally fire up an older game every few months that I've played through many times and usually enjoy it; I guess its the familiarity more than anything.

Last edited:
If I could somehow channel all my frustrations into those I think I'd be golden!
Don’t take this as a viable solution, because it certainly isn’t for everyone, but cannabis at microdoses can induce hyper-focus which can be trained on something you enjoy.

Personally, I’ve been able to manage my life better and channel my creative energies into game development, my main hobby, as well as focus on the things I can do, rather than the crap I have no influence over.

If you’re really struggling to find acceptance for the mundane cold reality that is the struggle of life, make a game out of it. If your current “level” is low, what harm could it do to introduce some challenges into your routine? You might find yourself levelling up.

November-December last year was a bad period. Somehow my mental issues kicked into overdrive. I was drowning in extreme anxiety most of the time. I usually don't snapped at my friends but this one time I did at one of them. It was just about a small issue and he seemed to understand what I'm going through but holy hell, I don't want that to happen again. I think it's the booze, I drank quite a lot last month but I feel like there's something else, I just don't know what. Seasonal depression maybe ?
I feel much better now that I cut down the drinks but that was some scary times for me.

Last edited:
drowning in extreme anxiety
I think it's the booze
In your own words.

Alcohol is pure poison. We are not meant to consume it. It causes havoc with physical and mental functions. And as we all know, it can become one hell of a mistress.

I’ve got two cold ones in the cooler right now, I know it’s against all my common sense to have even bought them.
But it’s Friday, I’m tired from work and I need the distraction.

I stepped down from Prozac use a few months ago. Weed seems to be a more effective (although expensive) replacement for keeping me on a level playing field.

Now that I have a reasonable handle on my alcoholism, I see it’s always the booze that puts me in a bad mental place when I do touch a small drop.

Alcohol usage may reduce anxiety at the point of consumption (it did for me), but is it worth the days and weeks of feeling less than okay that follow?

Analogous to that, I did some thinking on the topic of harmful consumption last night.

I smoke (heavily) because I somehow think it gives me autonomy and sovereignty. It’s also how I acquire alone time and punctuate my free time throughout the day. It’s a middle finger to my sense of common sense. Nobody should inhale smoke. Our bodies aren’t made to do that.

So despite thinking that I smoke because I have the freedom to do so, I really don’t. I’m imprisoned into thinking so by the addiction of nicotine itself and I’m anything but autonomous when an addictive drug has hijacked my brain for the past 20 years.

I came to recognise that my increase in tobacco is a response to a spike in the death drive. Slipping on a noose or biting a bullet is extreme and socially unacceptable. Smoking ensure deteriorating health but bares none of the hallmarks of suicide. I’d give myself 5 years, if I’m very lucky, if I continue my current habit.

I’ve got the Samaritan’s number on standby for help. But I don’t know how to start that conversation.

I’ve got the Samaritan’s number on standby for help. But I don’t know how to start that conversation.
Starting the conversation feels like a big obstacle, but really...

"Hi my name's Shem, I've kept your number in case I need help, but I don't know how to start the conversation...."

... does the job. If you're asking them for help, just let them help you.

Starting the conversation feels like a big obstacle, but really...

"Hi my name's Shem, I've kept your number in case I need help, but I don't know how to start the conversation...."

... does the job. If you're asking them for help, just let them help you.
The addicted part of me really likes smoking and I’m not sure if I can reason myself into it.

I also can’t see how a phone call will help me break a daily habit of 20 years without radical (and physical) intervention.

^That’s the addiction trying to talk me out of it.

I’ll try and contact them this weekend, if they’re open. What’s the worst that could happen?

Back