Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 702 comments
Immediately put my GT DD Pro on sale and 2 hours later it was sold.
For a while I had it in my cart and was seriously considering the same thing, but felt it was somewhat risky on when it would ship. I was contemplating getting a new larger wheel anyway but in the end I figured I will wait and see how this blows over, especially as support for its better features still do not exist in GT7.

My only real concern is if how much my GT DD Pro will fall in value in the meantime. That said, I'm plenty happy with it so there is no real need...

Last edited:
Been following this base for a while and I’ll be curious to see more opinions come to surface once the honeymoon period wears off and/or some very knowledgeable testers get ahold of them. “Full Force” is definitely interesting, but I’m curious to see how much of an advantage (if any) it might have over a setup that utilizes transducers - more from a PC gaming point of view. The quicker slew rate is also intriguing, but once again, I wonder how much of a difference it will make when benchmarking the new DD+ at full power vs the likes of a DD1 at full power. It didn’t look like Rory or Super GT were running their bases at full torque while playing GT7 - so I can definitely see how the increased slew rate would offer more fidelity compared to a DD Pro/DD1, when running similar torque values to what they were running before on their other bases. The reported better cooling of the CSW base is also a good upgrade over the DD1 it seems. When running high torque over the course of the longer GTWS races they’ve been giving us (I noticed this as the Nations GR.2 race @ Fuji 2 seasons ago) I could feel my FFB strength and fidelity beginning to fade, with the motor being uncomfortably warm to the touch. I ended up remedying this by getting a computer fan, and fixing it to the rear of base in a piggy back fashion, to help draw more air through the front. It works really well, but it’s a hokey fix that shouldn’t be necessary for a “top shelf” base, IMO.

A quick thought on GT7’s FFB in general, having played GTS and GT7 on bases that were rated at 6, 8 and 20nm, I can safely say that the FFB and more importantly the detail, get better as you throw more torque at it. When going over rumble strips and over some turn-exit kerbs, I can feel that side of the seat vibrating intensely by way of the wheel base. Wasn’t something I felt at 6nm, 8nm or even 13nm. But it was something I started to feel as I cranked up the torque on my base. If these same sensations can be felt at lower torque values as a result of the increased slew rate, then that’s a very good thing.

I’ll be curious to see what others think as they start making their way out into the wild

Last edited:
It's available now.
Well you say that but a user posted above that they’ve ordered it, got 4-7 days delivery time, then a message to say 29th February, odds are that the date changes to a later one…

A Leopard doesn’t change its spots… same thing clearly repeating itself from Black Friday and everyone’s suckered in by sim-fluencers who haven’t covered the fanatec debacle as it would affect their affiliate income…

Last edited:
I was actually considering this despite the crazy cost, but I found out it comes with plastic ”QR2 lite” that actually only supports 8 Nm, yet the included DD+ base on their website comes with real QR2. I don’t know much about these, but doesn’t seem right. If I put almost 2000€ to just wheel and pedals I want no such compromises.

And what about the pedals? The best ones seem to be almost 10 years old already. Those are full price also, no discount on set, and shipping is over 60€. I would say non-free shipping is very unusual. Will get Logitech if anything then.

Last edited:
Curious to watch how the pre-sales/deliveries and so, go on. Aren't there a lot of people who ordered the normal one months ago and still waiting for their delivery ???

The little screen above the wheel might allow to disable all HUD in-game and that could be a very good feature (just need to be able to disable the wheel and hands display on screen, alas I don't think it is possible on GT7).

Will other titles be able to display on the screen of the wheel ?

Last edited:
I bought a QR2 lite for a formula wheel I have for my DDPro. I had to cut that little nub off they use to prohibit its use but it's totally fine and zero flex or issue with it. I think they are sandbagging its strength to sell more expensive QR2 and QR2 pro versions. Just my opinion and I'll def post if I have any issues but I don't see that happening. It's been solid for nearly 2 months. It actually is nicer to remove and reinstall the lite version to the base than the regular QR2 version. It's smoother and I don't have to hold the lock open to get it to engage with the base side. I do sometimes with the regular QR2. Maybe that is what indicates a stronger connection. IDK.

I am honestly surprised how little love the Logitech GPro series seems to get. It comes with 11 Nm of torque (which, as I understand it the DD Pro comes with 4 Nm unless you pay for the upgrade kit for 8 Nm, still short of the Logi). I run mine at 7 Nm, so I'd have had to pay for the upgrade from Fanatec but the Logi is already there.

This new wheel from Fanatec looks pretty nice for sure, and it's definitely priced to match. For those who buy one, I just hope you get it before Q3 of this year. I really do. But it's unfortunate as that doesn't seem like the current state of affairs over there. When I bought my Logi Pro wheel, it traveled 2,500 miles (4,000 km) and was at my doorstep in two days.

Now if you're a big Fanatec fan, don't get your feathers in a bunch... all I am saying is if anyone is looking for a direct drive wheel don't look past the Logitech series.
Unfortunately influencers have brainwashed people into Fanatec. Any GT stream I have watched they are all affiliated to Fanatec, and all I hear is customer support is great, deliveries are great, this is great, that is great etc… One thing that annoys me with these influencers is they all have contacts in these companies who can fast track and by pass all ques.
I have a few friends who have bought Fanatec in the last 5 months and it been nothing but issues with customer support and shipping. So the question is who do you believe? My friends or influencers?

One thing Logitech need to do is get an ecosystem in place. Offer a new wheel rim. F1 rim, GT rim etc…

I’m looking at moving to PC, as GT7 no longer really gets my interests and other sim games are more interesting for me now. Im looking at other brands and will probably end up buying the console adapter to make the wheel work on console if I ever go back to GT7.

I am honestly surprised how little love the Logitech GPro series seems to get. It comes with 11 Nm of torque (which, as I understand it the DD Pro comes with 4 Nm unless you pay for the upgrade kit for 8 Nm, still short of the Logi).
I currently have the Fanatec GT DD PRO 8Nm and want something stronger.

So I wanted to buy the Logitech DD PRO 11Nm but unfortunately I discovered that this wheel is now locked in GT7 at 7Nm (since middle of last year with the add of the specific preset of the wheel) for some safety reason (to avoid any accidents).

We want to know if GT7 will also apply this safety torque limitation at 7Nm on the Fanatec Clubsport DD+ 15Nm when they will add the specific preset of the wheel in the game (apparently it's not the case currently as for now the device is recognized in the game as a simple GT DD PRO).

All the influencers are here!
Well done lads I’ll like, comment, subscribe then buy a unit with each your referral codes. I can’t wait to support all my favourite streamers!

In all seriousness, the wheel looks great. If it were cheaper I’d seriously consider it but my rig is doing just fine. Maybe one day :)

Unfortunately influencers have brainwashed people into Fanatec. Any GT stream I have watched they are all affiliated to Fanatec, and all I hear is customer support is great, deliveries are great, this is great, that is great etc… One thing that annoys me with these influencers is they all have contacts in these companies who can fast track and by pass all ques.
I have a few friends who have bought Fanatec in the last 5 months and it been nothing but issues with customer support and shipping. So the question is who do you believe? My friends or influencers?

One thing Logitech need to do is get an ecosystem in place. Offer a new wheel rim. F1 rim, GT rim etc…

I’m looking at moving to PC, as GT7 no longer really gets my interests and other sim games are more interesting for me now. Im looking at other brands and will probably end up buying the console adapter to make the wheel work on console if I ever go back to GT7.
Agreed. Advertising/Influencing works, which is why companies spend the money/time they do on it.

And the CS is a big one for me. One could argue the best CS is the one you don't need, but it's good to know it's there should you need it. I did have to call Logitech for my wheel, but let me explain.

First thing you do with the wheel when you get it is you have to update the firmware (probably the same for Fanatec but I don't know). Logitech has software you download, then connect the wheel to the software, and it'll update to the latest and greatest. However, I couldn't get the software to recognize the wheel. Last thing I want to do is call CS but after trying a bunch of things, I called their 1-800 CS number.

I kid you not, within three seconds a HUMAN answered the phone! What, not some automated nonsense where I'd have to guess on which number to push for my question, then wait an hour to talk with someone all the while hoping I don't get disconnected and have to start over?! That's right, a person answered. I explained my situation and he worked with me until it was resolved! He didn't put me on hold; he didn't transfer me to another department... the same guy who picked up was the one helping with the troubleshooting.

And, sure enough, after a few minutes of trying things we got the software to recognize the wheel. He then stayed on the line with me until the wheel had updated and I was able to test it out to make sure it worked. The whole ordeal probably lasted 15mins. THat kind of stuff resonates with me.

*For the sake of clarity, the wheel worked all along, but since I still use the G29 pedal set an adapter is required for that. The system/wheel wasn't recognizing the adapter as the adapter was released by Logi after the wheel, thus the firmware update was require so the wheel would recognize the adapter, and thus my pedals.

Yeah , I can no longer stomach dealing directly with Fanatec. The website, delivery, communication, RMA procedure is just a total unknown

I do still buy and use their stuff but I always use a certain Irish shop and pay a few quid more just so I can have some confidence of the item actually being in stock and being delivered within a reasonable time frame

I ordered one today, will be interesting to see how it compares with my Logitech G Pro wheel and pedals.

Screenshot_20240210_151916_Chrome.jpg

I ended up ordering a QR2 wheel-side on a separate order from the GT DD X order yesterday. Hopefully everything works with the wheel because I know dealing with Fanatec customer support is a nightmare. They really need to get their act together when it comes to customer support and communication.

Bye bye Logitech :) I have the G-Pro and since Logitech needs ages to come with new Wheel designs and some goodies like a serious manual shifter, handbrake etc, I’m GONE :) TrueForce was the only reason I why I got the G-Pro over Fanatec but now with full force and that very promising WheelBase and all the Goodies that Fanatec offers it’s a nobrainer.

BWX
I ended up ordering a QR2 wheel-side on a separate order from the GT DD X order yesterday. Hopefully everything works with the wheel because I know dealing with Fanatec customer support is a nightmare. They really need to get their act together when it comes to customer support and communication.
The GT DD X wheel with the qr2 lite supports the full 15nm, no need for a qr2, unless you're putting it on a different wheel?

Sportmode racers be like
Man, that's a nice room. I'm not sure about the 50% height Pepsi Max cans either side of him, but the coffee looks good.

That's got to be an expensive wheel too. Looks like it's totally hubless; inductive FFB?!

Man, that's a nice room. I'm not sure about the 50% height Pepsi Max cans either side of him, but the coffee looks good.

That's got to be an expensive wheel too. Looks like it's totally hubless; inductive FFB?!
I was thinkin the nearest can was like a shift-knob mod? Odd to me that it'd be on his left but I'm American. I suppose he could be from the UK though?

Other can looks like its in a proper beverage holder. I need to get one of those. Risky just sitting it on the carpet.

Edit: Oh wait, I also noticed the cup of coffee or cappuccino on the table closest..? I dunno. This is a very interesting guy.

Last edited:
The GT DD X wheel with the qr2 lite supports the full 15nm, no need for a qr2, unless you're putting it on a different wheel?
I'm sure it would be ok, but I just wanted the nicer metal mount. I have the QR1 on the GT DD Pro and it's way better than the plastic one. I saw - edit - the QR2 Lite /edit- flexing on Boosted Media's vid at 16:00 a little bit. And I'll put the plastic one on my WRC wheel or something else I don't use that much.

Last edited:

mate also handles all the ffb with just one hand :D

BWX
I'm sure it would be ok, but I just wanted the nicer metal mount. I have the QR1 on the GT DD Pro and it's way better than the plastic one.
I thought exactly the same, and also ordered the QR2 with the DD Extreme. I had actually ordered the QR2 on Black Friday for my DD Pro, and then cancelled it when I discovered the Extreme was coming....

Last edited:
I thought exactly the same, and also ordered the QR2. I had actually ordered the QR2 on Black Friday for my DD Pro, and then cancelled it when I knew the Extreme was coming....
LOL randomly I ordered a QR2 base-side for my GT DD Pro just because it was $20 one day LOL. Just a nice thing to have on the shelf just in case I ever got a wheel that required it and still had the base. I'll probably sell it or maybe keep my entire GT DD Pro setup as a backup DD wheel. "Two is one, and one is none" as the saying goes!

BWX
LOL randomly I ordered a QR2 base-side for my GT DD Pro just because it was $20 one day LOL. Just a nice thing to have on the shelf just in case I ever got a wheel that required it and still had the base. I'll probably sell it or maybe keep my entire GT DD Pro setup as a backup DD wheel. "Two is one, and one is none" as the saying goes!
IMG_5311.png

Now I know its not the exact same thing, but it does remind me of when Mac dropped 32 bit apps. The whole world apparently melted. I think this is a turning point for Fanatec and their product lines and while maybe compatibility with older hardware could be done via firmware, MAYBE. You wouldn't get any of the features to just drop in-place, so I'm not surprised at all, I get it.

I did decide to reach out to their sales support yesterday and see if I can swap my DD+ order for a DD X instead and pay the difference since my wheel hasn't shipped yet. We'll see what they say, if nothing else, I'll just return the + and buy the X I guess. The more I see that display at work, the more I want it :lol:

Jerome

Back