Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,756 comments
Okay I'm currently playing on level 6 AI, I'll give a try
But seriously AI hiting on brake in straight line, or ramming into your car, closing the door when tou are overtaking, yes it looks like a multiplayer lobby

I agree when you are on the top three, yes it is interesting but trying to start in the mild field and go to the top is actually painful

Okay I'm currently playing on level 6 AI, I'll give a try
But seriously AI hiting on brake in straight line, or ramming into your car, closing the door when tou are overtaking, yes it looks like a multiplayer lobby

I agree when you are on the top three, yes it is interesting but trying to start in the mild field and go to the top is actually painful
The AI don't deal well with upgrades, so try to avoid too many upgrades in the career mode if possible and in free play limit the PI in the options to the number your car has (ie 999 > 535 or whatever). In free play most of the AI will go under your PI number and you'll experience much cleaner races using this method, if it's still bad (Vintage Le Mans Sportscars can be a mess) try lowering your PI.

Last edited:
The AI don't deal well with upgrades, so try to avoid too many upgrades in the career mode if possible and in free play limit the PI in the options to the number your car has (ie 999 > 535 or whatever). In free play most of the AI will go under your PI number and you'll experience much cleaner races using this method, if it's still bad (Vintage Le Mans Sportscars can be a mess) try lowering your PI.
Thanks I played mostly stock or light upgrades

I have had to stop racing multiplayer today . Gone from S rating down to B within 4 races due to appalling driving standards by others. Constantly getting spun, rammed etc. Its just a waste of time trying to race with them. Iam just racing Ai now who are not much better. I hope its addressed really soon. Sick of it !

I have had to stop racing multiplayer today . Gone from S rating down to B within 4 races due to appalling driving standards by others. Constantly getting spun, rammed etc. Its just a waste of time trying to race with them. Iam just racing Ai now who are not much better. I hope its addressed really soon. Sick of it !
Yeah it's pretty bad still, would be nice if they would make their safety rating stuff actually work. I still brave them out somewhat regularly because I find it kinda amusing most of the time, but there are definitely nights where I wonder why I bothered, and they are pretty depressing really when you watch how bad people are in a "this is why we can't have nice things" kinda way.

I know a lot of people say the ratings can't work because player numbers are too low, but I'm regularly in 18-24 person lobbies where I only recognize maybe 2 or 3 names from the previous lobby, and I don't feel like I'm running into the same players all the time from day to day. It would be interesting to know what the actual numbers are and how they are distributed between hoppers and what hours of the day have peak player numbers.

Even if the player numbers are low, I think most people would rather race with 8-10 people that will race clean and are closer to their skill level, than 22 people where half of them drive like inconsiderate, short-sighted morons and only 3 of them are actually close to your pace anyways.

It's funny how big of a deal these skill/safety rating things were supposed to be and how positive the community was about them, only for it to turn into absolutely nothing. I find lobbies are exactly like they were in FM7, where some of them are a total disaster and others are just not as bad as others, and I don't think I've ever had a race with more than 3 people at a time who seem like they are at my skill level (despite the game stating it matches based on skill level first), and even then after the race we are usually broken into different lobbies so I don't even get to continue racing with them like I did in FM7 when I just stayed in the lobby for consecutive races.

If you want good multiplayer racing I still suggest hunting for an organized league, as those are pretty much all made up of people who were tired of the driving standards in the public lobbies. There are a ton of them so it can take a little searching to find one that suits your schedule/vehicle interests though (there are a TON of GT series which is getting played out). Depending on your pace, the driving standards will range from miles better to a bit better though, as a lot of the guys at the back end of the grid in those things are still clumsy and make a fair number of mistakes, but at least then the bumping isn't malicious.

Last edited:
So I finally downloaded FM on my PC and dug through some of the texture and livery files and here’s some recycled content and leftover files I found related to cars and livery’s

che_7_sst

che_belair_alt_001

che_ss_nascar_alt_001

for_14_fiestagrc_alt_001

for_25_mustangrtrfd_18

for_bronco_alt_001

for_falconfg_race_alt_001

for_focusrsrx_alt_001

for_fusion_nascar_alt_001

for_hoonicorn_alt_001

for_msportfiesta_alt_001

hon_9_ganassi_alt_001

loc_rallyfighter_alt_001

sub_199_wrxstivt15r_alt_001

toy_avensis_alt_001

toy_camry_nascar_alt_001

toy_camry_nascar_alt_002

vw_globalrallycross_bug_alt_001

che_28_dw12_12_livery_001

hdi_fap_001 (Peugeot 908 TDi lmp1 reference)

ren_formulae_alt_001

Again recycled but good to think about for future updates

So ACC just released their Nordschleife 24h track as DLC today. I'm looking forward to comparing with the FM23 one, since the ACC one will be done with serious attention to detail.
I've driven a few laps of it in ACC. First of all, as far as I can tell, you can only drive the 24 hour track, not Nordschleife without the Nurburgring GP section. Apart from that, it felt very similar to the track in FM to me. There might be some small differences in the shape of everything in places, e.g. one corner where I struggle to not run wide on exit onto the kerb in FM, I found myself exiting noticeably short of the kerb in ACC, so maybe that edge of the track isn't quite in the same place in the two games. But if you just pick one of the games and only play that game, and get used to its version of the track, the experience is going to be largely the same. I haven't compared the night versions as I don't like driving at night, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I did notice that the braking in ACC felt a bit off. The car didn't seem to scrub speed off fast enough at lower speeds. I did a few maximal braking tests on a straight while looking at the speed, and I'm not sure what is happening is correct, but I haven't spent the time yet looking up data on the downforce vs speed relationship in GT3 cars to create my own simulation of how the relationship between speed and rate of speed reduction should look, not sure if I care enough to do it. At the moment, FM feels like a better driving experience to me, but FM is the driving game I've played the most recently, and I think there is an element of everything else feeling worse than the game you're most used to.

I've driven a few laps of it in ACC. First of all, as far as I can tell, you can only drive the 24 hour track, not Nordschleife without the Nurburgring GP section. Apart from that, it felt very similar to the track in FM to me. There might be some small differences in the shape of everything in places, e.g. one corner where I struggle to not run wide on exit onto the kerb in FM, I found myself exiting noticeably short of the kerb in ACC, so maybe that edge of the track isn't quite in the same place in the two games. But if you just pick one of the games and only play that game, and get used to its version of the track, the experience is going to be largely the same. I haven't compared the night versions as I don't like driving at night, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I did notice that the braking in ACC felt a bit off. The car didn't seem to scrub speed off fast enough at lower speeds. I did a few maximal braking tests on a straight while looking at the speed, and I'm not sure what is happening is correct, but I haven't spent the time yet looking up data on the downforce vs speed relationship in GT3 cars to create my own simulation of how the relationship between speed and rate of speed reduction should look, not sure if I care enough to do it. At the moment, FM feels like a better driving experience to me, but FM is the driving game I've played the most recently, and I think there is an element of everything else feeling worse than the game you're most used to.
I would tend to be at the opposite end of your spectrum. I think ACC North Loop is wonderful. It surely is the newest version with lots of repave and less graffiti. It's a nice edge of your seat feeling and changes to the car setup make noticeable differences. Sure the FM version is Nords, you still get the feeling of being on track but I would have a hard time saying that FM is better than what was just put out today. Those pyramid top huge curbs that FM decided to put on the track are just one example right away.
I come to FM from more of a PC Sim user though rather than a habitual console user. Having the track in either ACC or FM is the plus though. Neither one is bad, even though people knock FM's lack of accuracy. Better to have it than not to have it.
Try using the #1 brake pads for any races that equals less than an hours time. The #2 brake pads also take a while to take form and wear in. I've found that using #1 pads will give you more initial stopping and less time to get to optimal braking.
One thing I noticed though was that the ACC AI was really unruly and aggressive on Nords for once. I had to restart my race twice after being slammed into. That's exactly like FM. 😂

Last edited:
Those pyramid top huge curbs that FM decided to put on the track are just one example right away.
This is the sort of thing I mean when I say that you just learn the one in the game you're playing and then it doesn't make much difference. In FM, I mostly avoid the kerbs because if you have the car tuned to be on the verge of oversteer, which makes it corner the fastest on smooth tarmac, then touching a kerb on corner exit will make the car oversteer and lose time. So I mostly stay off the kerbs in FM, but there are some you can go on, particularly if you're not steering much. I drove the ACC version the same way I drive the FM version and didn't have problems with kerbs, but maybe if I specifically learned the ACC version I'd use more kerbs and then if I drove the FM one the same way I'd have a problem with kerbs that aren't a problem in ACC. But apart from one being more accurate, it really doesn't have much impact on the experience unless you're looking to practice for driving on the track in real life.

To be honest, I barely noticed the kerb differences when comparing ACC to FM23 driving a GT3 car at speed - all the kerbs I actually use in my racing line were very similar or identical.

1712065044208.png

The only thing that really sticks out, apart from some minor camber/elevation differences (which are probably FOV differences rather than model inaccuracy) is the mini karussel (schwalbenschwanz) near the end. T10's version is clearly off for some reason (with the light grey paved area being much further away from the inside of the corner).

Saying that, I do think that the ACC version 'flows' just a little better than the Forza version somehow (maybe due to camber nuances?). But as we all agree, the FM23 version is VASTLY better than the one in FM7 and earlier games, no doubt there.

Last edited:
I think that this game needs big texture update if it wants to look like GT7.
I'm trying to get some nice screenshots, but game looks like it's from 2017-18, even older.
FM7 maybe looked better.

I don't dislike the game, only disappointed how it looks on XSX.

I'm trying to get some nice screenshots, but game looks like it's from 2017-18, even older.
FM7 maybe looked better.

Debate raging on at the official forum about blurry track textures and car models being used from the Xbox One/Xbox 360 era. Yah, they've got their work cut out for them.

FM7 maybe looked better.

Textures aren't the problem, it's the lighting, when the lighting is right, the game looks gorgeous, but the lighting of the environment in regular daytime conditions is not great, like it's missing something to finish it off.

FM7 maybe looked better.

I think you're too used to the excessively colorful games that have been released in recent years. Forza having a color palette closer to real life shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
I had went back to FM7 recently to compare a few things and yeah it is definitely more polished looking than FM23. For me FM23 has too many jaggies for a newer fresher game, sometimes it looks washed out and shadows arent as good as fm7 and that includes car models too especially in car view. Those are areas where fm7 and even more so GT7 excels. Im confident T10 will eventually fix some or all of the graphical issues as time goes on.

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport 7 was a very good looking game when it launched in 2017. Ran a full 4k60 on Xbox One X too.

Its issues were the usual, bugs and strange design decisions, but visually it was strong.
It must have been my rough graphics card at the time. It looked a lot better when I switched to Xbox.

Textures aren't the problem, it's the lighting, when the lighting is right, the game looks gorgeous, but the lighting of the environment in regular daytime conditions is not great, like it's missing something to finish it off.
The lighting is so much better than FM7, but it can be inconsistent, especially with the specular highlights (FH5 does this better), and the HDR can go haywire in some places (Homestead at night under heavy rain, for example).
I thought they went for a realistic look that doesn’t have a lot of flare.
I think they went cinematic/realistic, and clearly wanted to separate from the FH style.

On PC I ask my graphics card to pump a 1440p image (resolution scale at 150%) through a 1080p monitor, which to my eye looks better than staying at 100% resolution scale and turning other settings to high. I also set anisotropic filtering at 16x (it has been reported that it is at 2x in consoles, which makes the track textures look somewhat smeared in motion, like in Daytona), and no HDR or RT. I get to almost 80 fps in the benchmark, but in practice it goes higher.

Last edited:
The digital foundry Xbox review of FM23 did indeed demonstrate the 2x AF consequences, such as blurry billboards on the trackside. It's a strange choice for very little performance gain over higher AF (based on PC results).

I also wonder how many people are running the game in Performance RT mode compared to normal Performance mode - that lowers the resolution and drops visual quality in return for some in game ray tracing - comparing that with non raytraced games will never be positive for FM23 unless you appreciate the benefits of RT.

Personally I think they should have just left RT for photo mode and aimed the game to look best without it, since bringing it in (without RTAO) has not paid off with the graphical hardware available in the current Xbox.

Last edited:
The digital foundry Xbox review of FM23 did indeed demonstrate the 2x AF consequences, such as blurry billboards on the trackside. It's a strange choice for very little performance gain over higher AF (based on PC results).

I also wonder how many people are running the game in Performance RT mode compared to normal Performance mode - that lowers the resolution and drops visual quality in return for some in game ray tracing - comparing that with non raytraced games will never be positive for FM23 unless you appreciate the benefits of RT.

Personally I think they should have just left RT for photo mode and aimed the game to look best without it, since bringing it in (without RTAO) has not paid off with the graphical hardware available in the current Xbox.
I tried RT performance, but now I play exclusively on Performance, as the game looks cleaner. Do this: With RT on, paint any car in chrome, then drive it and park it, say, in some section of the Nordschleife with lots of graffiti on track and trees around, then compare it under the same conditions but with no RT, just plain old cube maps, and notice how low-resolution RT reflections are.

Was just looking at the Forza YT channel, was the last Forza Monthly really from back in January ? Oo

Don't they do those not anymore ?

Was just looking at the Forza YT channel, was the last Forza Monthly really from back in January ? Oo

Don't they do those not anymore ?
I think people prefer the shorter summary videos to lengthy interviews.

Latest Posts

Back