Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,741 comments
The colours dont look so washed out so much, its not night and day different but I think it looks a little better, especially some of the lighter coloured cars. However, according to FM.net there are issues with the latest hotfix,we will be reverting the fix for the previous bug with a 7.2 hotfix as soon as we can What this means I dont know, hopefully they wont revert back to the washed out colours. Heres a link for the full post.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, they mistakenly put the new FH5 DLC for $5 instead of $10. So grab it now before they update the store.
(didn't realize I put this in the wrong Forza sub :ouch:)
They announced it as a limited time early bird sale on their FB page, so I became an early bird. Fitting since I'm currently on a plane from LAX to SEA.

According to Reddit T10 really are going to rollback the hotfix due presumably to those issues on Xbox. Not sure why it took them so many days to do this though...

I've not had any problems on PC since the hotfix, how about you guys?

I see Motorsport is currently 50% off on Steam. Is it currently in a state where it's worth getting at that price?
Yeah, probably. I bought it because that seemed like a reasonable-ish price.

My feeling as someone who just picked it up is that it drives well, looks pretty nice, and possibly has the worst AI in any game I own. It's a decent game and I am enjoying the driving, but something just feels a bit lacking. Obviously it's not going to be Horizon levels of excitement and wild events, but I feel like past Motorsports had a little more in the way of variety and fun going on.

I think it's fine for what it is, but I don't feel like I'm getting crazy value or anything with it. It's just the latest version of the same old same old, and for 2024 as a game it's just kind of average.

Yes I just hope that soon they will bring it to the solo mode, you can set tire and fuel wear in online mode, but not in solo
It's a shame, what's the point of having dynamic weather, rain tires and pits stop if you are not able to take avantage of it ?
You can't set fuel burn or tire wear multipliers in multiplayer.

The "Featured Multiplayer" lobbies have a tire wear multiplier but no fuel burn multiplier, but in private lobbies you cannot do either. Esaki mentioned the tire wear multiplier in that Twitch stream thing recently as a "yeah we are doing it at some point" but who knows when that is, and who knows why it wasn't done at launch as they had to know it would be a useful feature. I'm kinda worried that a fuel burn multiplier won't happen, and for some reason, we still can't even separate fuel burn and tire wear in options, there is only nothing, fuel and tires only, or fuel and tires and damage.

The weather also isn't dynamic exactly, it's just kinda blended shifts with overly fast transitions between conditions, like it changes from foggy to "medium rain" and within half a lap the track is soaked, which if you watch real racing you know it takes a while for conditions to change due to track/tire temperature and the racing line staying dry for longer, unless it's a total downpour anyways. Again though, weather in "Featured Multiplayer" lobbies is more random than it is in private lobbies and free play lobbies for some reason, where those will always change 1 lap before the halfway point to an opposite condition, ie dry to wet or wet to dry, never wet to wetter or dry sunny to dry cloudy, etc.

Hopefully when they bring the tire wear multiplier it will come with a fuel burn multiplier, and we will be able to adjust them and they come to both free play and private lobbies, especially if they came up with some system to share free play races as people would find sweet spots for settings to make for fun strategy races to share with others. I really don't see why they wouldn't get it working for both multiplayer and single player, but T10 work in mysterious ways when it comes to giving players options.

I think bringing qualifying and fuel/tire wear multipliers into single player could be a good way for them to expand the career too (if they have any interest in doing so that is). We have this "build up your street car" thing with straightforward races with no pit stops or strategy, so a more motorsport-oriented career would be good for variety and help give those that avoid multiplayer the chance to enjoy those features too.

According to Reddit T10 really are going to rollback the hotfix due presumably to those issues on Xbox. Not sure why it took them so many days to do this though...

They released the update on a Friday, I thought to myself at the time that it was brave, I personally avoid releasing anything on a Friday as it generally leads to issues like this. So even if they had folks working the weekend trying to create a hotfix you might not have the right people to get it fixed fast, nor the approvals to push it along into whatever cert process is required.

Last edited:

Not sure if i'm signed in here. Hi everyone. I've had issues since hotfix. Game crashes after every rivals event or test drive if i change cars during the event. I'm on Series S. My game has crashed 20+ times.

I'm registered. Cool!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those of you noticing the luminosity and color improvements in the game lighting - how close is this to satisfying how you expect the gameplay and menu environments should look? Is it still a frustrating issue, a minor issue, not an issue for you anymore?

(separate from framerate, DOF/blur, etc - just light itself)

Last edited:
Question for those of you noticing the luminosity and color improvements in the game lighting - how close is this to satisfying how you expect the gameplay and menu environments should look? Is it still a frustrating issue, a minor issue, not an issue for you anymore?

The only issue I have with this game graphics right now is the "blurry-ness", specially on Series S, apart from that I think these color improvements looked great, if you don't factor in the inconsistent lightning in some cases that is. (I usually play using a non HDR panel and I don't know much about HDR to actually be able to tell if it will be better or worse with it.) I also feel like the reflections in this game are a bit exagerated(?) such as reflections in black paint or in chrome/metal materials.

Off-topic:

Some QOL(?) stuff I would like to see added in the game are, a fix for Carbon fiber having reflections while on hood view, a way to disable motion blur (I don't get why this option is present on PC but non-existent on consoles.) and for T10 to actually fix the option that disable Drivatars Liveries Design (Sometimes for me having these Drivatars liveries designs enabled, totally breaks the immersion when doing a builders cup with a production car. Mostly because people tend to put some horrendous liveries in their cars.) You can technically enable the option to disable the designs but after a while the option just disables itself.

Another great thing that would add more variety and more personality to the game menu presentation is a way to buy new garages landscapes or at least customize the one we have more. Like put more than 1 car in the "main floor". Someone shared a pic from a glitch that happened with them here where 2 cars were being displayed in the garage and it looked amazing.

Last edited:

For me personally (HDR400 panel, brightness set to 0, HDR brightness as low as possible (around 1000 iirc), I find two times of day the least satisfying in FM23 so far:
  1. Noon, when car colours tend to be a little too overblown and you lose a lot of car detail in the 'glow' (although I get that this could be an artistic choice)
  2. Dusk/night with or without rain: Headlights tend to light up other cars too much. I would expect to just about be able to see the paint colours of a car in front of me due to headlights but for it still to look dark, but the cars ahead seem to glow and be far too overblown. A white car under headlights looks far too bright in my opinion.
I'm not completely sure if these two cases have improved since the hotfix, but I don't think they have.
I think (1) can be mitigated via reducing both brightness sliders as much as possible, but (2) remains "uncanny" for me ever since the game launched, despite multiple lighting model changes.

Edit: That said, neither of these times of day is a huge deal. It's just that inconsistent lighting gives the game a feel of not being polished. In comparison, FH5 manages a lot more consistency.

The showroom changes are positive, however what I'd like even more would be a way to see the lighting in proper sunlight. In FH5 for example you can set your Home point to be the castle and then view/paint cars in the open air as well as in the garage location under proper lighting. Even after the changes to FM23 (which are 100% positive), the lack of ability to preview car paint in bright sunlight is a shame.

Edit 2: Painting with the "open sky" lighting option isn't bad, but it just doesn't feel quite like a sunny day to me. Not sure why.

Last edited:

I would echo skazz, it's better, but I think there's still certainly room for improvement, especially the lighting at noon, the cars can tend to look a little flat at this time of day.

A lot better than before. somewhere in between frustrating and minor issue. Usually just a minor issue while racing, but a larger one during photos.

I still feel like there is a mild red tinge to the image, which i counter using Nvidia filters (temperature set to -8). The cockpit brightness being higher than the other views is slightly annoying. The overall game is a shade or 2 too dark. even at 100 brightness.

These maynot be applicable to what you are asking but:

The headlights/taillights turning into generic light circles (that usually are visible over bodywork) are an eyesore in both racing and photography: (look at the ball of light near the right headlight on the sls or the tailight of the 488 gte)
1713964559959.png
1713964673440.png

or this shot where every car is affected by it:
1713964771298.png

The wheel rotation animation starts abruptly and it looks bad. Removing it or somehow making it a smoother transition (from low to medium speeds) would help a lot.

The reflections are very shimmery even on ultra.(RT is way less shimmery when compared to cube maps. A complete switch from launch) Most mesh like surfaces (like radiators) are very unstable.

1713965088786.png

SSRs also have a very narrow fov in hood view, they are also affected by the wipers in interior view. Shadows also are affected in chase cam right behind the car.

However I do appreciate that a lot of newer cars are getting this refraction effect in the headlights.

1713965615342.png

The colours dont look so washed out so much, its not night and day different but I think it looks a little better, especially some of the lighter coloured cars. However, according to FM.net there are issues with the latest hotfix,we will be reverting the fix for the previous bug with a 7.2 hotfix as soon as we can What this means I dont know, hopefully they wont revert back to the washed out colours. Heres a link for the full post.

Ahh... So that's what's happening. Occasionally I have to press the windows key, to keep the game from getting stuck when going from a completed race back to the home space. I haven't experienced outright crashes, but I am not going to rule it out though.

Last edited:
A lot better than before. somewhere in between frustrating and minor issue. Usually just a minor issue while racing, but a larger one during photos.

I still feel like there is a mild red tinge to the image, which i counter using Nvidia filters (temperature set to -8). The cockpit brightness being higher than the other views is slightly annoying. The overall game is a shade or 2 too dark. even at 100 brightness.

These maynot be applicable to what you are asking but:

The headlights/taillights turning into generic light circles (that usually are visible over bodywork) are an eyesore in both racing and photography: (look at the ball of light near the right headlight on the sls or the tailight of the 488 gte)
View attachment 1349749View attachment 1349751
or this shot where every car is affected by it:
View attachment 1349752

The wheel rotation animation starts abruptly and it looks bad. Removing it or somehow making it a smoother transition (from low to medium speeds) would help a lot.

The reflections are very shimmery even on ultra.(RT is way less shimmery when compared to cube maps. A complete switch from launch) Most mesh like surfaces (like radiators) are very unstable.

View attachment 1349755

SSRs also have a very narrow fov in hood view, they are also affected by the wipers in interior view. Shadows also are affected in chase cam right behind the car.

However I do appreciate that a lot of newer cars are getting this refraction effect in the headlights.

View attachment 1349757
Adding on to this. The camera bug is still present, the one where it doesn't focus on the car even with the shutter speed set to 0. Also the Photo mode feels very dry compared to Forza horizon 5, a featureset including Time of day, Weather, Better sampling/more samples and Upscaling would be nice. Also LOD's could be better in the distance so that the game runs smoother and with more stable framerate. Oh and also the light sprites being visible at certain angles above the vehicle geometry is really annoying when taking photos.

Attachments

• Forza Motorsport 25-12-2023 11_15_13 PM.png
    Forza Motorsport 25-12-2023 11_15_13 PM.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Forza Motorsport 25-12-2023 11_10_37 PM.png
    Forza Motorsport 25-12-2023 11_10_37 PM.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 3
Right now, the showcase race with the Brabham BT8 (at Brands Hatch) IMO provides a very good sample of the lighting/graphics in their current state, which have improved steadily after launch. You can use this race to adjust your image settings (looming clouds and evening/late evening, I believe) to your liking and get the best of the HDR/SDR presentation.

In my TV set (Sony X85K) I use HDR10 and not Dolby Vision, since that mode is incompatible with my set's game mode. After using the Xbox's HDR calibration tools, my in-game settings are HDR brightness at 920 nits, that's when the Forza Motorsport logo banishes into the white background, and the brightness setting is at 10 (the logo won't disappear, not even at zero value), and brightness is the most important adjustment if you want to control bloom, of which the aforementioned race at BH has plenty of examples (be sure to run the practice session too).
On the color side I must admit I cheat a little and use the Vividness setting to medium. Then again, Sony's is one of the best (if not the best) in color management, so the colors pop, but don't bleed. The game could benefit from a saturation slider, though (FH5 has it).

On my PC monitor (300 nits) for SDR I set the brightness at 90 (70 at night), contrast at 80-85, and color saturation 46-48 (color temperature at warm) and it looks good too. The brightness level is at 10 and here the logo does disappear.

Lastly, the thing I find must visually annoying is the inconsistency of specular highlights: In some places is good, in some places is great, and sometimes they are nonexistent even under direct sunlight!

Last edited:

Forza Motorsport Hotfix 7.2 Release Notes – April 24, 2024​

Today’s Forza Motorsport hotfix addresses a crash caused by a memory leak which could occur in various gameplay scenarios, such as when exiting any event.
Version Number:
  • Xbox Series X|S: 1.577.9494.0
  • PC (Microsoft Store): 1.577.9494.0
  • Steam: 1.577.9494.0
Bug Fixes and Improvements
Stability [All Platforms]

• Hotfix 7.1 included a fix for car thumbnail regeneration to prevent a potential game crash. This change introduced a new memory leak, causing players to crash in various gameplay scenarios, such as when exiting any event. We’ve reverted the fix in the meantime and are exploring a more permanent solution to both issues in a future update. This change does not impact the fix made to resolve the DLSS degradation on PC.

Its alot better compared launch but there is room for improvement to make it even better. The menu lighting and location need some big changes, like a outside location, different tod for the garage lighting and spot lights that can affect the look of the car like a real garage, different car positions and more freedom in the garage.

In game the lighting is improved and looks more natural but some cars have too dark interior roofs that should be slightly more brighter because of the bounce lighting. And the cars lack self shadowing from the track lights which can look awkward at night. The brake lights need to be alot brighter and have more bloom at night like in real life. The lights of other cars should react the same way as the lights in the garage on the paint shaders (better color gradient from light to dark). The bounce lighting on some tracks are slighty worse than before like my Nurnburg GP comparison (under the roof and side of the stands).

Also a sharpness and color (saturation and color temperature) sliders would help alot to customise the games look.

Short recap for the lighting changes and expectations:
  • New menu locations, custom tod, better garage lighting and more freedom
  • Better interior GI
  • Brighter brake lights and more bloom
  • Self shadowing for the exterior of the car from track lights
  • better highlights and color gradients on the car from different lights
  • better GI on some tracks
  • Sliders for sharpnes and color

You guys made some positive changes to the games graphics and i hope that it continuous. Im also still waiting for that RTGI patch on pc and other improvements like the better foliage and grass that you guys have in the official screenshots :).

As a previous post said, the reflections on cars are obsessive. I also think the vibrating blurry trees don’t Help as well as the hold over over-rubberized rear car build up. Kiss

I've noticed that the telemetry menu (where you set your fuel capacity/tire compound, if available) has gotten faster.

On the technical side, I wish FSR 3.1 was on the cards for the future, since that should remove much of the visual artifacts you notice when you play in performance mode with raytracing.

And the AI MUST improve... If you are running in a short circuit like Yas Marina North and begin lapping the stragglers, you will notice them just driving erratically, getting off the track, etc. And I can't believe that the only move they have when attacking you on the inside is to divebomb! I have resorted to just go wide, slam the brakes and see them pass and get off track. Effective and hilarious, but really...

I've played since launch on my Samsung 4K TV with SDR, on XSX. Right from the start I noticed that the colours looked very washed out and grey. Especially during mid-day and in bright sunlight. In FH5 the colours looked a lot more vibrant with the same tv-settings and I must say that I overall prefer the more saturated colours of GT7, even if it isn't always totally realistic. It became a lot better when I turned the brightness all the way down, but it still wasn't good.

The other week when I booted up FM after update 7, and did my first few laps in the rivals event on Brands Hatch, I noticed a BIG difference. All the colours looked a lot better and the grass beside the track was finally a lush green colour.

I still think the game looks a bit washed out at noon sometimes, but this was definitely an improvement. As of right now I'd say that some of the rough (and old) car models are a bigger graphical problem than the colours. But, like someone else suggested, perhaps sliders for the colour saturation could be a solution?

I borrowed some screenshots from a Youtube video by Motogames TV to show off the difference, which I think represents my experience with this fix pretty well:

Screenshot_20240425-181048_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240425-181119_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240425-181150_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240425-181324_YouTube.jpg

@Hasse 86 In my opinion its a good step in the right direction, I think colours look better since the update. I found if i went looking for the improved colours it was a little dificult to tell the difference but just playing the game I noticed it more.
Hopefully they will improve on it more and get the picture better.

(separate from framerate, DOF/blur, etc - just light
Honestly, sorry for being out of topic, but please add endurance events, like in FM6

Honestly, sorry for being out of topic, but please add endurance events, like in FM6

Would be great but what this game needs most of all is tyrerestrictions. As it is now it is a total upgrade anarchy, and that is also one of the reasons why online racing gets so uncivilized.

FM23 can never be taken seriously as long as it allows anyone to bring anything, "come as you are"

I remember T10 saying that all the added tracks would be free(am I wrong?) I was puzzled because I am hoping for many new tracks and that would be expensive development for no income. But if this game is really going to be a 5-10 year service life, then there must be some kind of method to this madness 😜

We are approaching month 8 since release so im really curious to see how and what content they add now since the car pass is officially over. We already know each month wont come with a track unfortunately but the game is slowly going in decent direction. Theres still way more events and event types we could use in career and theres the hundreds of cars between FH5 and past FM games that would fit right in thats not in sight yet. This is not taking into account any bugs or features that need to be worked on, just content.

@ctdc67 I suspect all the tracks or maybe the selection they are choosong from previous Forzas will come back free first. I dont think every track will make the cut because theres just too many of them and some were not as popular. But once they get those tracks in then I think the new to FM ones will be paid and possibly part of expansions. Makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:
Back