Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
Imho i wouldn't count being a crossplatform especially when PS6 launches , it only happened with GT7 because of obvious reasons
Obvious reasons being GT7 was being developed since 2018 on the base PS4 and the fact that the PS5 had barely sold 20 million units compared to the PS4 with 115 million units? Sony prioritises money, GT7 wasn't even a launch title and was still a crossplatform game, the same will happen with GT8. They'll just restrict some features on the PS6 version like GT7 with Sophy and PSVR2.

Obvious reasons being GT7 was being developed since 2018 on the base PS4 and the fact that the PS5 had barely sold 20 million units compared to the PS4 with 115 million units? Sony prioritises money, GT7 wasn't even a launch title and was still a crossplatform game, the same will happen with GT8. They'll just restrict some features on the PS6 version like GT7 with Sophy and PSVR2.
Ps5 has sold like 50 million now, gt7 was never planned to be released on ps4 at first, it was marketed as ps5 exclusive but changed because of ps5 shortage,
I think their is a good chance gt8 comes out before ps6

Look how long games live currently. This is not 90’s or early 2000 anymore. Game development and marketing costs are muvh much bigger than used to be. It is no longer profitable to sent new game every 2-3 years.
If publishers could release a title and subsequent sequels every 2-3 years they'd be jumping for joy. The biggest cost in game development is staff - the more product they can get to market - the more income generated. Iterative titles like Gran Turismo (and all sports titles) have different development cycles to traditional single-player games which are rebuilt from the ground-up, with new game worlds, all-new story etc.
They already put microtransactions to monetise it + the game still sales very well
Sales legs for GT7 are very strong but we have only just passed it's 2 year launch anniversary. By year 3, and especially year 4, there'll be a significant drop-off and the market will be ready for a sequel. Microtransactions are one means to generate post-launch income - but it's rather outdated and unattractive to most players. I haven't spent a penny on such things but I would be a regular purchaser of cosmetic items (wheels, aero parts, interior items), plus more substantial DLC like car and track packs.
Ps5 pro is here in late 2024 probably. You would burn money for updating GT7 just to send new game just an year later? That doesn’t make sense. Remember GT8 is not just development cost but huge marketing cost…
I'd expect every major AAA title from Sony to receive a PS5 Pro update - for most it would be a case of utilising existing tech. IE, RT support in gameplay, not just replays. Higher LOD car models, higher resolution textures, effects and so on. If, as I suspect, GT7 is one of the showcase titles for PS5 Pro, it make sense to invest.
There is really not that big difference beetween PS4 and PS5 you are really overhyping „next gen only” games. Look at Forza it is next gen only and it fails in nearly all aspects…
New game engines are made to be scalable. PD really didn’t cut anything just to make GT7 run on PS4.
There are diminishing returns but a next-gen only Gran Turismo that maximises PS5 will not be able to run on PS4. Even with reduced resolution and (if you're willing to compromise) sub 60FPS. I'm sure PD's game engine has already undergone updates to take advantage of new tech like the SSD.

For whatever reason (CPU I presume) GT Sophy cannot run on PS4. Larger grids and more complex physics will be possible on PS5, but there has to be parity with PS4 for cross-gen online play. Likewise, streaming much higher quality track assets (see Nanite on Unreal Engine 5) will be possible on PS5 thanks to the SSD. But PD had to limit how much they leant into this as they needed a version of GT7 up and running on the PS4's archaic HDD.

RT is another area that will fundamentally change how PD builds their lighting engine. This is a non-starter on PS4 so they stuck with tried and tested methods for GT7. Plus the added bonus of RT shadows in replays on PS5. For a PS5 only SKU (and particularly PS5 Pro) they can put the R&D into more extensive use of RT.
Sales data indicates it was a mistake to continue with cross-gen beyond PS5's launch window. Particularly a title like GT7 with it's long sales legs. I expect GT8 will be PS5 only as I don't see a scenario where we don't get an all new Gran Turismo for 6 years. As for GT9, sure, that could be cross-gen PS5/PS6 if it arrives '28-'30!. But I don't see that being a major issue as the switch to SSD and RT was already made this gen.

Why are some cars, like the 8C and LFA, manual in GT7? The animations clearly show paddle shifting, and they are (at least the LFA is) semi in reality.
I hesitated to ask this in case Polyphony fix it :D

Last edited:
First of all PS5 sold over 50mil now and second i would like to have your crystal ball mate 🤣

only reason why GT7 was crossgen was pandemic and chip shortage - that combination made some of the games crossgen including GT7 , if you don't believe me take a look how GT7 was marketed before the crossgen decision ;)

Last edited:
It was justa marketing trick.
GT7 was advertised as a PS5 exclusive but looking at it, it's 100% obvious that it was developed for the PS4 from the beginnig and later also for the PS5.
Maybe at some point they considered releasing it only on the PS5 but overall from the beginning it was mainly a PS4 game.

The age of publishers, even those with hardware platforms, putting out high-budget AAA games exclusively on consoles that have yet to build an install base seems pretty definitively over; they just don't get the profits from them any more.

The first GT on PS6 (whether that is 8 or it is 9 after a PS5-only 8) will go one of two ways:
  • It'll be PS6-exclusive, but it'll also be much lower budget than we're perhaps used to (the Nintendo model), or
  • It'll be cross-gen with PS5 and possibly also PC by that point.

GT7 was advertised as a PS5 exclusive but looking at it, it's 100% obvious that it was developed for the PS4 from the beginnig and later also for the PS5.
Maybe at some point they considered releasing it only on the PS5 but overall from the beginning it was mainly a PS4 game.
well it wasnt just a marketing trick , most games started as PS4 games since there was no PS5 dev kit yet but they got adapted into PS5 later

for example Rise of the Ronin is the same thing , it started development on PS4 but later adapted into PS5 only
GT7 meant to be PS5 only but Sony decided against that - see my post for the reasons

Last edited:
Just out of interest, why is that car so special to you (and many others)?

For me its mainly because i do love the newer front engine v12 ferraris like both f12 and 812, looks beatiful to me and v12 just screams, would love many other v12 supercars to, gt7 still lacks many important cars in my opinion, if i was to see 812 in the silhouttes i would be very excited, but i gues thats a car pd adds in bigger update to generate hype like they did with spec ll update with many strong up to date perfomence cars,

My biggest hopes for GT8 are really just one thing: Y'know how it's only in photomode that you can show more things like oil stains and dirt? I want to see those details even outside photomode, and to make it actually worth washing a car. I'm positive it's up to hardware limitations, though.

I'd also hope for new groups for vintage race cars, especially the older prototypes from the late 60s/early 70s, but I really wonder if that's necessary, as opposed to a PP limit, or better yet, offering rental versions of say, the 330 P4/917K/GT40 Mk.IV/XJ13 that are more comparable with each other. I'd say something similar of the race cars from the mid-50s, like the DB3S, the A6GCS, and the D-Type - which are likely going to be joined by the Pebble Beach-winning Cunningham C-4R. Now that I think about it, I do wonder if an additional group is truly necessary at this point, as opposed to potentially refining the PP system.

Furthermore, I'm hoping the Gr.1 Prototype Series will have its rules effectively retconned to limit players to Gr.1 cars - though I'd be fine with either BoP being enabled, or the pre-existing 950PP limit. Indeed, the GT Cup Gr.3 events were changed to have BoP on, and the GT-R Cup was recently changed to permit the KPGC10 and C110.

And sure, I'd totally be down for larger grids in GT8, but I think it should be dependent on the course. For example, I certainly would not imagine the grid size at Tsukuba would be as large as those for the Nurburgring 24h layout, Daytona, or Le Mans.

Ah, but I digress. I wonder what sort of Bonus Menu event could be next? Maybe the Evolution Meeting could return, like the Silvia Sisters.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I do wonder if an additional group is truly necessary at this point, as opposed to potentially refining the PP system.
Honestly, I'd go the other way - break up every group other than Gr.3, and make Gr.3 only the "latest" model (so AMG would only have the '20 in it for instance), which is the group Manufacturers Cup would run. Then instead of using groups, expand the tag system that they currently only really use for the Kei car and VGT events, with things like #Group C or #LMP1 or #GT3.

It'd fix a few problems - it'd force creativity in daily races rather than have them just go "Gr.3/Gr.4" every week, and it'd remove weird BoP decisions like how the current GT-One BoP makes it run unfaithfully. And in single player, you could have both PP-limited events for the classic GT "run whatever you have" grids and also tag-based events (maybe combined with model year limits) for more focused, limited-entry events.

One thing I would love to see in the next GT is the ability to create a livery style and add it to any car that I choose.

If GT7 was developed on the PS4 then I would like to think it would work well on the PS4. My PS4 copy freezes and crashes constantly. Never had a single issue on my PS5.

My PS4 copy freezes and crashes constantly.
I’ve been playing GT7 on my PS4 Pro several hundred hours or so (yikes) and haven’t experienced a single crash or freeze. So yeah, probably something wrong with the disc or the console if the game is crashing constantly.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing GT7 on my PS4 Pro several hundred hours or so (yikes) and haven’t experienced a single crash or freeze. So yeah, probably something wrong with the disc or the console.
More or less the same here. Two crashes in almost two years, and I play GT7 nearly every day.

Randomly popped the trophy for covering 500 miles on oval tracks yesterday.

This means I'm two away from the platinum...take 100 photos and complete 50 Sport Mode events.

I stopped paying for PS Plus because I wasn't racing online and wasn't finding value in the service, it's silly to rejoin just for a Platinum trophy right?

It doesn't get you any tangible benefits, or will hold any kudos for future GT titles. I've got typically taken a stance that poor trophy list design shouldn't be supported, and while I think 50 is a high number to hit, I think they are more problematic trophies on the list which don't respect your time...

So...I should just leave it right?

This means I'm two away from the platinum...take 100 photos and complete 50 Sport Mode events.

I stopped paying for PS Plus because I wasn't racing online and wasn't finding value in the service, it's silly to rejoin just for a Platinum trophy right?

It doesn't get you any tangible benefits, or will hold any kudos for future GT titles. I've got typically taken a stance that poor trophy list design shouldn't be supported, and while I think 50 is a high number to hit, I think they are more problematic trophies on the list which don't respect your time...

Get it, if you ask me. It's 50 races, doesn't require any speed or skill on your part, like GT Sport did. This one is a participation trophy and the platinum is pretty easy.

If GT7 was developed on the PS4 then I would like to think it would work well on the PS4. My PS4 copy freezes and crashes constantly. Never had a single issue on my PS5.
Because later development was shifted more toward the PS5 so it's the more polished version.

Or wait for the three or four free play weekends each year.

Because later development was shifted more toward the PS5 so it's the more polished version.
The PS5 version is not more polished. It has some graphical and performance-related advantages, but it is not more polished than the PS4 version.

Back