Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.44 Now Available, Adds Toyota GT-One, Lamborghini Urus, Audi R8

• Thread starter Famine
  • 889 comments
I think you're forgetting that since Spec II GT has also had FOMO events
What do you F that you're MO on with these temporary events?

They're worth credits, sometimes as much as 90,000cr (less the CRB). If you don't do them in that week, you can recreate them (without the same credit bonus or the PD-generated custom liveries/tunes) in Custom Race. There's nothing to F that you'll MO on.

and locks half it's car list behind FOMO.
Mmm, no. Either you're fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of FOMO as applied here or you don't play GT7/FM8/FH5 enough to understand the differences... or something else is going on.

About a third of GT7's car list rotates through largely - but occasionally not - well understood and followed cycles. If you "MO" on a car, there's no "F" because it'll be back again on the next cycle. In LCD that's three months, but you can more or less set your watch by it give or take three days - and you have a week of being able to buy it.

We've had two situations where the cycle was definitely broken (Escudo, Ford Roadster) but they were fixed and the cycles resumed as expected; I'll add that there's a potential third, with a car that is well overdue right now (W194), but we can't say for sure. Either way, all 497+1 cars are buyable, mostly at any time and some on defined cycles. There's no FOMO because if you MO now, it'll be back.

FM8's car list - and FH5's - contains cars that you can only win if you play through specific events in a specific time, once. They then disappear for somewhere between "whenever T10/PG next decides to make it available" (which is undefined) and "ever". That latter time is unlikely, but there are vehicles which even in the two and a half years of FH5 have so far only appeared once, for event completion in one specific week.

That is what FOMO is in this context: if you do not play the right amount of the game in the specific time period, you may miss out on the content forever. This compels players to play, because of FOMO.

What do you F that you're MO on with these temporary events?

They're worth credits, sometimes as much as 90,000cr (less the CRB). If you don't do them in that week, you can recreate them (without the same credit bonus or the PD-generated custom liveries/tunes) in Custom Race. There's nothing to F that you'll MO on.

Mmm, no. Either you're fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of FOMO as applied here or you don't play GT7/FM8/FH5 enough to understand the differences... or something else is going on.

About a third of GT7's car list rotates through largely - but occasionally not - well understood and followed cycles. If you "MO" on a car, there's no "F" because it'll be back again on the next cycle. In LCD that's three months, but you can more or less set your watch by it give or take three days - and you have a week of being able to buy it.

We've had two situations where the cycle was definitely broken (Escudo, Ford Roadster) but they were fixed and the cycles resumed as expected; I'll add that there's a potential third, with a car that is well overdue right now (W194), but we can't say for sure. Either way, all 497+1 cars are buyable, mostly at any time and some on defined cycles. There's no FOMO because if you MO now, it'll be back.

FM8's car list - and FH5's - contains cars that you can only win if you play through specific events in a specific time, once. They then disappear for somewhere between "whenever T10/PG next decides to make it available" (which is undefined) and "ever". That latter time is unlikely, but there are vehicles which even in the two and a half years of FH5 have so far only appeared once, for event completion in one specific week.

That is what FOMO is in this context: if you do not play the right amount of the game in the specific time period, you may miss out on the content forever. This compels players to play, because of FOMO.
Nothing about FOMO is "forever".

Your point about FH5 is moot because auction house. Gaming the festival Playlist for cars to sell on auction house is how you get Rich quick. The vast, vast majority of FH5 "exclusive" cars can be easily found there.

The "MO" is having to wait 3 months of your life for in game content you paid for to be available for basic purchase. Which is actually insane, made worse by the fact that most of the Legends shop cars were prize cars or UCD in previous games

I don't personally care about this, but they ARE FOMO Systems, in both games, and going "NUHH UHHHH" for one and then pointing at the other is dumb. FM's monthly championships are dumb, but so is GT adding 3 events in an update and then having 4 exclusive events in weeklies that can't be played elsewhere. If we flipped the games names here the conversation would be the same.

But yeah FOMO isn't forever. That's been a common cope with people defending GT "oh well they aren't gone forever" FOMO has never been stated to be forever. It's "fear of missing out" as in "if I don't grind 11 hours tonight for this car, I'll miss out on it and have to wait 3 months of my life"

Also, change the dumb purple text. Its eye watering

Last edited:
Nothing about FOMO is "forever".
I mean... it is. That's what "missing out" means.
Your point about FH5 is moot because auction house. Gaming the festival Playlist for cars to sell on auction house is how you get Rich quick. The vast, vast majority of FH5 "exclusive" cars can be easily found there.
And the others?

This also relies on players selling the cars, and creates a finite amount of the cars available in the marketplace (only as many as players who played at the right time and earned them).

The "MO" is having to wait 3 months of your life for in game content you paid for to be available for basic purchase.
Is three years somehow better? The DeLorean DMC-12 has six more playlists to go before it makes it to there.

Also you don't MO if the car is coming back next time. Not until the game's servers shut down and there isn't a next time.

I don't personally care about this, but they ARE FOMO Systems, in both games, and going "NUHH UHHHH" for one and then pointing at the other is dumb. FM's monthly championships are dumb, but so is GT adding 3 events in an update and then having 4 exclusive events in weeklies that can't be played elsewhere.
In one you actually miss out on game content and in the other you don't. That's why one is FOMO and the other isn't.

GT7's economy was atrocious, and it's still pretty poor after the several steps taken to mitigate it - especially if you're not good enough to hit gold on the time trials each week - but it's not FOMO. Miss out on a car and you know it'll be back, and (thanks to members at sites like this) when.

Miss out on a car in FH5 or FM8 and you do not know if it will ever be back. This compels players to play for - say it with me now - fear of missing out.

You also don't need to do anything specific to get the car in GT7. Just play, get money (slowly) and buy it. In FH5/FM8 you need to play specific events in a specific time to get the car. Or miss out.

Also, change the dumb purple text. Its eye watering
It's also indigo. And no.

Condescend again and see where it gets you.

"Something else" it is, I guess.

I mean... it is. That's what "missing out" means.

And the others?

This also relies on players selling the cars, and creates a finite amount of the cars available in the marketplace (only as many as players who played at the right time and earned them).

Is three years somehow better? The DeLorean DMC-12 has six more playlists to go before it makes it to there.

Also you don't MO if the car is coming back next time. Not until the game's servers shut down and there isn't a next time.

In one you actually miss out on game content and in the other you don't. That's why one is FOMO and the other isn't.

GT7's economy was atrocious, and it's still pretty poor after the several steps taken to mitigate it - especially if you're not good enough to hit gold on the time trials each week - but it's not FOMO. Miss out on a car and you know it'll be back, and (thanks to members at sites like this) when.

Miss out on a car in FH5 or FM8 and you do not know if it will ever be back. This compels players to play for - say it with me now - fear of missing out.

You also don't need to do anything specific to get the car in GT7. Just play, get money (slowly) and buy it. In FH5/FM8 you need to play specific events in a specific time to get the car. Or miss out.

It's also indigo. And no.

"Something else" it is, I guess.

Forever not included, so no EEHHHHHHHH Famine is wrong.

The vast majority of cars in FH5 can be auction house'd. And many of those are additional content. VS GT simply not having many base game cars unavailable at a time. Both systems are questionable, however FH5's at least creates an actual market and actual rarity, whereas GT's doesn't.

Please do tell, if it's not designed to induce a FOMO mechanic in players, , then why did we abandon years and years of a proven playerbased UCD mechanic and prize cars to instead lock base game content behind a timer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forever not included, so no EEHHHHHHHH Famine is wrong.
Now do "missed out". If there's another chance to get the thing, you haven't missed out «comical buzzer noise»

You think there'll be another chance to attend the same party in the example? Perhaps time travel will be invented, then you won't have missed out...

The vast majority of cars in FH5 can be auction house'd.
And the others?
It also still requires other players to play the game in the specific time frame, acquire the car, and sell it on.

Interestingly you're going after this part and not the part where you can't do this with FM8's artificially limited cars...

Both systems are questionable, however FH5's at least creates an actual market and actual rarity, whereas GT's doesn't.
And GT7's never locks any of the cars away, as you claimed. They're available to just straight up buy, when you have the credits, when they are available to buy on a largely preset schedule (which can be adjusted, sometimes features cars that players "vote" on, and has been broken twice).

There's no hoops to jump through and no perpetual uncertainty if they'll ever be back (unless the LCD is broken for a third time).

In FH5 you have to play a certain amount at a certain time to get the car (or hope someone else did, and then is selling it) and you never know when that next time might be (until the update stream three days before the relevant Series), as you do in FM8 (without the parentheses).

Please do tell, if it's not designed to induce a FOMO mechanic in players, , then why did we abandon years and years of a proven playerbased UCD mechanic
What does "playerbased UCD mechanic" mean?

If you're intending to convey the notion that the player's own progress determined the contents of the used car dealer, allow me to bring the GT5 Online Car Dealership back to your attention.

This was introduced to address the colossal issue with GT5's "playerbased UCD mechanic" that, at a few billion "days" in length with six cars a day, you might never even see some of the cars - depending on where on the list you were in relation to the quasi-RNGed (and therefore not "playerbased") start point. There's good evidence that the ticket reward system on GTS worked in the same manner as GT5's UCD - as a preset list with a quasi-RNGed start point.

GT6 and GTS of course had no UCD. GT7's is just a continuation of the GT5 OCD, just with a little more versatility than swapping out all of the cars at once each week.

and prize cars
I'd think that if you're obsessed with games locking content you paid for away behind some kind of gate, then unique prize cars ought to be something you would disfavour.

michael-jackson.gif

As a side note, anyone experiencing genuine FOMO over anything in GT7 probably needs to take some time away for a while. :)
I only have the W194 left to buy from LCD, and the fact it appears to be entering third hostage territory is very much grating with me right now. :ouch: That uncertainty over its reappearance is definitely causing FOMO!

And I can't take time away because I've made racing games my job, like an idiot.

Now do "missed out". If there's another chance to get the thing, you haven't missed out «comical buzzer noise»

You think there'll be another chance to attend the same party in the example? Perhaps time travel will be invented, then you won't have missed out...

It also still requires other players to play the game in the specific time frame, acquire the car, and sell it on.

Interestingly you're going after this part and not the part where you can't do this with FM8's artificially limited cars...

And GT7's never locks any of the cars away, as you claimed. They're available to just straight up buy, when you have the credits, when they are available to buy on a largely preset schedule (which can be adjusted, sometimes features cars that players "vote" on, and has been broken twice).

There's no hoops to jump through and no perpetual uncertainty if they'll ever be back (unless the LCD is broken for a third time).

In FH5 you have to play a certain amount at a certain time to get the car (or hope someone else did, and then is selling it) and you never know when that next time might be (until the update stream three days before the relevant Series), as you do in FM8 (without the parentheses).

What does "playerbased UCD mechanic" mean?

If you're intending to convey the notion that the player's own progress determined the contents of the used car dealer, allow me to bring the GT5 Online Car Dealership back to your attention.

This was introduced to address the colossal issue with GT5's "playerbased UCD mechanic" that, at a few billion "days" in length with six cars a day, you might never even see some of the cars - depending on where on the list you were in relation to the quasi-RNGed (and therefore not "playerbased") start point. There's good evidence that the ticket reward system on GTS worked in the same manner as GT5's UCD - as a preset list with a quasi-RNGed start point.

GT6 and GTS of course had no UCD. GT7's is just a continuation of the GT5 OCD, just with a little more versatility than swapping out all of the cars at once each week.

I'd think that if you're obsessed with games locking content you paid for away behind some kind of gate, then unique prize cars ought to be something you would disfavour.
Except you've missed out until next time. 3 months of irl life to use base game content is, for certain, missing out lol. There will be another party, just like there will be another gt40 for sale - but you've still missed out on that particular opportunity.

Ive been wanting to buy an MN Thunderbird for some time now. Last month I missed out on my chance to buy a red one at a price I wanted. Will one eventually come again? Yes. Do I still have fomo over missing that one I wanted? Also yes. Another one will pop up on fb marketplace but I wanted that one

I already said I disagreed with FM8's system, not sure how you want me to go after it. I don't agree with it. I like the idea of limited time cars, but not limited time events. And I don't like not having a player trading/buying and selling mechanic, which out of these only FH5 has.

The player based UCD's created an actual gameplay loop. Yes there were exceptionally rare cars in 5 (A80 supra notably) but again, it didnt lock content behind an uncontrollable timer. Id much rather be able to race and rotate the UCD than go "welp, i dont want/already have everything here" and shut the game off for 3 days. Ive experienced this multiple times building custom race classes. "Car i need isnt available? Time to log off for a week".

How many exceedingly rare FH5 cars are there, VS how many legends shop base game cars can I just not buy right now? Iirc legends shop has 10 slots (I haven't played GT7 in months so don't quote me exact) and I think legends had 60 cars on rotation to start? So at any given time were looking at 50 base game cars just unavailable to me? VS the handful of very rare cars in FH5? You can auction house just about anything, I spend quite a bit of time buying and selling and screwing around on auction house. Just have to be shrewd.

In terms of prize cars, I would much rather play a challenging race/series/event to unlock a relative car/prize wheel than to simply grind for hours and hours to buy a car and then rinse repeat. Prize cars like in old GT's were an essential part of the experience, even if how they were done changed over the years.

Last edited:
I actually think putting some (legendary) cars on a timer increases the perceived value of them.

Love taking "my" Alfa Romeo out for a spin because it feels rare.

I love FH to bits, but the way they shower you in cars makes the cars and the entire economy seem worthless.

Last edited:
I actually think putting some (legendary) cars on a timer increases the perceived value of them.

Love taking "my" Alfa Romeo out for a spin because it feels rare.

I love FM to bits, but the way they shower you in cars makes the cars and the entire economy seem worthless.
FM doesn't shower you in cars lol. You get one prize car for completing each series.

Except you've missed out until next time.
Therefore have no need to fear it. If there is no next time, and this time is the only time (of which you know) you can get it, you have reason to fear missing out...
Yes there were exceptionally rare cars in 5 (A80 supra notably) but again, it didnt lock content behind an uncontrollable timer.
Functionally it did - helped in part by the level-gating.

There were players who, unless they could scroll through quarter of a billion game days (nearly 7.5 years if you could scroll a day a second, which you couldn't), would never see some cars, because of the manner in which the start point on the four-billion day list was determined - which wasn't in their control.

The level-gating caused further issues in that there could be early occurrences of some cars that they couldn't buy due to the level-gate and no further occurrences within the game's natural lifespan. One caused particular issues as it was required for late-game progress - which is why it was permanently in the OCD. Although you could also score it from a L24 ticket or the random car award ticket (at exceptionally long odds).

GT7's UCD/LCD addresses that issue by making it the same for everyone and under a controlled cycle which guarantees each super-rare car (again, unless broken: Escudo and Ford '32 were subsequently fixed, and maybe the W194 right now) every ten weeks or so for a period of 5-7 days, with "Special Picks" that come more often. UCD cars are of course much more common.

Edit: «sigh» You'd think that by the second time in four days you got a warning for your abusive behaviour you'd have twigged what is and isn't acceptable in terms of how you address other users. Let's hope you've got the idea for your next account.

Last edited:
"I don't know but I'm going to say anyway". We're talking about the current one lol.
I did play the newest one briefly and found most cars I wanted to get had that paid DLC symbol right next to them.
Entirely different discussion I know - still an instant uninstall for me.

And to be completely honest: I confused FH (which I actually love to bits) with FM (which I don't care much for these days)
and tried to cover my ass because I went all "nonsense" on you for no good reason :D - sorry for that.

Oh well. I should just focus on work ;)

Last edited:
You can say that about any thread Ranchero visits... ;)
Haven't encountered them in any other thread....yet

And to the FOMO aspect of GT, I don't recall any car being locked behind FOMO so far...correct me if I'm wrong (by telling which car, maybe I'll remember then ;))

Now, let's all shake hands, and play our racing games together, shall we? :)

Therefore have no need to fear it. If there is no next time, and this time is the only time (of which you know) you can get it, you have reason to fear missing out...

Functionally it did - helped in part by the level-gating.

There were players who, unless they could scroll through quarter of a billion game days (nearly 7.5 years if you could scroll a day a second, which you couldn't), would never see some cars, because of the manner in which the start point on the four-billion day list was determined - which wasn't in their control.

The level-gating caused further issues in that there could be early occurrences of some cars that they couldn't buy due to the level-gate and no further occurrences within the game's natural lifespan. One caused particular issues as it was required for late-game progress - which is why it was permanently in the OCD. Although you could also score it from a L24 ticket or the random car award ticket (at exceptionally long odds).

GT7's UCD/LCD addresses that issue by making it the same for everyone and under a controlled cycle which guarantees each super-rare car (again, unless broken: Escudo and Ford '32 were subsequently fixed, and maybe the W194 right now) every ten weeks or so for a period of 5-7 days, with "Special Picks" that come more often. UCD cars are of course much more common.
Except you fear the missed opportunity, even if a similar one will come again. Especially true if you're hunting for a particular color of legends car. You've still missed out. You still fear you'll miss out again.

If you don't like the playerbased ucd, so be it, I can't get behind removing an entire gameplay Mechanic solely for such a small issue

Last edited:
FOMO or not... GT7 content does come back or is easy to recreate.

Forza Motorsport event does not come back, and are not possible to recreate since those are tournament events.

End of topic, Forza system is just worse. If you buy this game after one year it will have the same amount of events as day one (and it had very small amount of events) and GT7 keep on growing since all events aren't FOMO.

Not to mention FM's AI provides an actual challenge vs "pass the cars in a line" like GT
Same as Wreckfest, but crashing into player doesn't make it any better track racer... There is no Yellow Flag behavior, no Blue Flag behavior, it uses no fuel and tires so it do not pit, it just drives on track and half of grid is crashing and second half is miles ahead. It is actually worse...

Last edited:
It's "fear of missing out" as in "if I don't grind 11 hours tonight for this car, I'll miss out on it and have to wait 3 months of my life"
This is incredibly frustrating, especially if I am away from home or don’t have time to play during the one specific week a car is available.

I also know that my time to enjoy GT7 will be limited by GT8 at some point, when I will want to start building up my garage containing many of the same cars again.

Back