GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,884 comments
Yeah you have to watch out where you have the tires in each section of the track. I'm glad most of you were brave and tackled the Spa races. I just couldn't do it this time. I wish I had an ethernet cable to stick into a phone jack. That way I know I'll have a strong internet connection. Maybe next time I'll enter if it ever shows up again.

I've seen this too and I'm wondering if pad has an advantage in the wet. Obviously there's the in-built countersteer guidance that will make driving a bit easier as a whole - but it's no secret that pad has accelerated tyre wear and I'm wondering if that is also causing the tyres to maintain their temperature more as the movements are quicker and more erratic?

I haven't seen anyone on pad suggest they're losing tyre temps and I haven't noticed it when I've been playing on pad either.
The countersteering might help if you lose control as a get out of jail free card but otherwise smooth is as fast in the rain as it is in the dry, I've seen pad and wheel running at the front in these wet races so it's fairly even (for once). You might be on to something with the temperature but I don't think it's as simple as just pad vs wheel because there are so many different ways to drive, Womble is well known for being gentle on the tyres so it makes sense if he is losing temperature, maybe some who are more aggressive with the turn-in will hold the heat better.

I have had a few races where the surface water is above the second bar for a while when I'm on inters and they've got the little blue outline to show they've lost heat.

Someone's hacked your account and picked the Audi! We all know you only drive that Porsche. Better call Sony asap!
I'm too slow in the Porsche, if I give away that second a lap I'm going to be driving around on my own at the back falling asleep for 50 minutes, the Audi is nice though.

EDIT: reduced my time to 1'59.292 thanks to the Lancer Group 4 car! Cheers to it. I will post the replay later on. I'm fixing to eat lunch. So I will be back later on today/tonight.

Last edited:
On another topic - wow, the board really exploded the past few days! Amazing photos, videos, progress, upgrades on DR, and so on! I managed as well do get some progress, but sadly my DR went south this week, I just have the lap time in GV to feel good about. Few more tenths improvement, there might be perhaps one more, but now I'm done I think. P310.

Super tight there in the mid pack.

View attachment 1341679
I feel like I am diving the absolute nuts off the cars I drive. I still can't fathom how you all get into the low 54s, let along the 👽 that get into the 53s. But I'm past middle aged (though not old yet :lol:) but my reaction times are mediocre.

I have not looked at my DR this week across accounts. Some races it went up, others down. I would guess it is probably about the same as where I started as I appear of have reached the natural end of my talent. Was going to check it shortly...

You ever have one of those races where something happens that is so ridiculously unnecessary that all you can do is stare, and your brain refuses to believe what it just saw?

GV, Lap 1, approaching the hairpin, P3. I start braking at the absolutely correct time, and the guy behind me, off to the right some, slams right into me, like he didn't even know you had to brake there. Binned me so bad my head is still spinning. Ended up in last place, miles behind everyone else, and just plain quit.

I'm still stunned.

I feel like I am diving the absolute nuts off the cars I drive. I still can't fathom how you all get into the low 54s, let along the 👽 that get into the 53s. But I'm past middle aged (though not old yet :lol:) but my reaction times are mediocre.

I have not looked at my DR this week across accounts. Some races it went up, others down. I would guess it is probably about the same as where I started as I appear of have reached the natural end of my talent. Was going to check it shortly...
I'm getting close to the 60 mark and I know what you mean about the reaction times, I used to be quick from the start, but these days I require a lot of practice to get the muscle memory to substitute reaction time. That's also why I do well on QT, but suck at races...

The D lobby is tough to get out of. At Spa with a 20 lap race I can’t believe how many cars try to pass in the first corner. With the long races and wet weather I’ve found you can do pretty well by letting the idiots take themselves out and just run a clean race. I can say that I’ve become proficient in the rain this week.
Ive had this issue in pretty much all my races in some form in DR B lobbies. I can't work out if it's just poor drivers or people are exploiting the game physics.
I must admit on a few occasions I have exploited the game physics and used another car as a advantage (but I've only used this if they done the same to me prior). Other racing Sims if have to people did what they did they wouldn't last 2 minutes with the car damage etc...

I'm sure things have changed since we last had a wet race in the dailies, there are a few people struggling even Tidgney who is one of the fastest in the game has been having problems, Womble was losing tyre temperature after a few laps when he was streaming so it was like driving on ice.

Lucky lap 😉 Now I just need to work out how to get the tyres to last longer than 7 laps 🤔.

I don't think there is a lot in it if thats as wet is got, if it gets any wetter I would go for full wets because they can be about 2 seconds a lap faster and hold the temperature better but otherwise intermediates because you'll gain back what you lose as the track dries out (I haven't seen it stay that wet until the end often this week). Usually if it's only the lightest blue I will go for intermediates, if its darked and there is a decent patch of it I'll go for full wets.
I've seen this too and I'm wondering if pad has an advantage in the wet. Obviously there's the in-built countersteer guidance that will make driving a bit easier as a whole - but it's no secret that pad has accelerated tyre wear and I'm wondering if that is also causing the tyres to maintain their temperature more as the movements are quicker and more erratic?

I haven't seen anyone on pad suggest they're losing tyre temps and I haven't noticed it when I've been playing on pad either.
So I have found that braking off the racing line has definitely helped with getting the car stopped and also on traction out of the corners. Into the Bus Stop and Les Combes, if you stay right of the racing line you can brake pretty much on the dry brake points.

As for tyres, if you get a band of rain which will stop towards the end then inter are the tyres to pick, but if the rain lasts the full race then I pick full wets. The full wets keep the heat in the tyre longer which has given me the grip. On the inters I find they go too cold and this causes lose of grip. As for time difference, I've gone quicker on full wets. I could do 2.45/6 on wets but 2.47/8s on inters.

I'm too slow in the Porsche, if I give away that second a lap I'm going to be driving around on my own at the back falling asleep for 50 minutes, the Audi is nice though.
Strangely enough, every wet race I've been in this week has been won by a 911! Having said that, the Audi has looked pretty competitive since the update too.

I started the week with the 911, and then switched to the 650S, and have had some good races with that.

Started a race today with a gamble on inters, as it looked like rain was going to hit on the first lap. The rain didn't move though, so I had to stop at the end of lap 1 for RMs, meaning I was now miles behind everyone else in P16.

The rain finally started on lap 9, just as I reached the pit entrance - pitted for inters again, and left the pits in torrential rain. Most of those in front of me had decided to carry on for another lap, and I passed a lot of them (mostly off track or spinning!) before they reached the pits to change tyres.

Rained solidly until the end and, after a disastrous start decision, I finally finished in P6 🙂

Going to miss this race next week....

Just had a monsoon of a race at Spa! Most of my others have been slightly wet, with inters being fine and generally doing 1/2 a race on mediums. But this race had heavy rain constantly from lap 3 to lap 16. Me in P4 and those behind all pitted at the start of lap 4 - the three leaders stayed out, and ended up 1 minute behind. I ended up 12th after thinking I'd be a hero and pit for dry tyres for the last couple of laps - I exited the pits and did about 75 360 degree turns :lol:

Is the 650 not so good on full wets? I was painfully slow compared to many other cars, Audi, Porsche, AMG. On inters and mediums I am a similar pace but I seem to struggle more on wets - it could just be a lack of skill on the wets too in my case.

While I'm happy with those new longer races formats that Gt7 brings us, I am not sure about this Spa in rain 20 laps. I gave it a try yesterday. Started Q7 but I got bumped to last 15th. Everybody seemed to miss their braking points on the 1st lap and it was bumper cars. It is just like everybody had forgot that this race was not a 4 laps sprint. Anyways, it started raining on lap 4 and it rained until the end. I put my inter before everybody thinking I would catch up but the water indicator went over the second bar. What happened is that all other drivers put their wets on and I stayed last until the end. The good thing was that many drivers quit before the end so they sent me to P8. I did not loose DR because of that. Well, I love that rain feature but 10 laps of rain instead of 16 would have been enough in my opinion. Still might give it another try before the end of the weekend to see if there is less rain.

As for tyres, if you get a band of rain which will stop towards the end then inter are the tyres to pick, but if the rain lasts the full race then I pick full wets. The full wets keep the heat in the tyre longer which has given me the grip. On the inters I find they go too cold and this causes lose of grip. As for time difference, I've gone quicker on full wets. I could do 2.45/6 on wets but 2.47/8s on inters.
Digit was saying this same thing during his stream today. He took IMs when the rain bar was right at, and just a bit over, the 2nd line; said it was costing him 1-2 seconds/lap (if I recall). So definitely something to it.

Link to the stream of the race when it started raining.

5.5 seconds in penalties during one race at GV. Anyone beat that?

They were all my fault, by the way. Everyone I saw raced cleanly. Except for me, unfortunately. I swung too far out and brushed a wall (1.5 seconds), and I binned someone at the horseshoe (4 seconds), although they took the turn poorly and braked almost to a standstill, but it was still my fault. I waited for them, but I'm not sure how much of a consolation it was for them. I deserve every nasty thing I'm sure they said about me.

And unfortunately I'm down to SR B. Not sure if racing more will help or hurt.

5.5 seconds in penalties during one race at GV. Anyone beat that?
Challenge accepted.

Definitely had 6s in one hit of the barriers, then the one second final chicane cut and add the passing a car under yellows... so 10s is my "best" pen collection at GV....

To your other post, I've been hit so hard I started at Fuji and ended up at Suzuka.....I just stopped and said wow (and lots of other words) and just sat theirs thinking "really, just really"

I received a 9 second penalty in Race #8 at GV. I hit the wall really hard near the start of Sector 2. Then a few seconds later someone hit the back of me which caused me to hit another car hard and I got an additional 3 second penalty along with the 6 seconds worth of hitting the walls.

I was so upset I didn't even look at the list of opponents at the final screen. That's how disgusted I was. But I can't control what happens during a race.

@GrumpyOldMan thanks to the Lancer Evolution Gr. 4 car, I reduced my time to 1'58.679. I am still trying to figure out where I'm losing time the most.

Can anyone help me?

I just had the two weirdest races on the European server. There was one guy on pole position that had a one bar red connection and I think he was messing it up for everybody.

When the race started, he appeared to be running, but the rest of us were stuck on the grid for 2 1/2 laps so just sitting around and then when we finally started, we were full of penalties and it was just ridiculous.

Then the race would end halfway through our second lap as the leader crossed the line and the timer ran out (I guess). It was the weirdest thing. It happened on both races.

I received a 9 second penalty in Race #8 at GV. I hit the wall really hard near the start of Sector 2. Then a few seconds later someone hit the back of me which caused me to hit another car hard and I got an additional 3 second penalty along with the 6 seconds worth of hitting the walls.

I was so upset I didn't even look at the list of opponents at the final screen. That's how disgusted I was. But I can't control what happens during a race.

@GrumpyOldMan thanks to the Lancer Evolution Gr. 4 car, I reduced my time to 1'58.679. I am still trying to figure out where I'm losing time the most.

Can anyone help me?
You are braking to late almost guaranteed bud.

Means you are later on a clean exit.

Try to better ride the brakes

Edit: @TheNormsk if he has a bad connection it's not ideal you being in the lobby as it's more latency. That's the only problem with when I do cross region races I know I'm a 5 bar connection mostly in Europe but the US is almost always 3 or less

Last edited:
I just tried the WRX, and I love it. If you haven't tried it, make sure you do. I've got Brake Balance set to -2.

How's this for an eclectic set of cars?
1711837700584.png

I finished P3 due to stupidity at the end of the last lap that cost me 2 seconds of penalties.
To your other post, I've been hit so hard I started at Fuji and ended up at Suzuka.....
Ha! Made me laugh.
@GrumpyOldMan thanks to the Lancer Evolution Gr. 4 car, I reduced my time to 1'58.679.
Awesome. Now try the WRX and see if you like it better or not.
I am still trying to figure out where I'm losing time the most.

Can anyone help me?
You are braking to late almost guaranteed bud.
I can second that. I've been trying to force myself to brake earlier, even though when driving it feels counterintuitive, but most of the time it gets me much better times.

Ok, I'll give the WRX a try later on tonight. Let's see how far I will go. Lol, maybe to another galaxy. That's one of my major issues in racing. I will brake too late and miss a really good corner exit. I'm trying to get a handle on it to improve my skills.

Last edited:
I gonna miss Spa next week. It’s been a blast, I’ve had some poor, and some pretty good results, but every race has been interesting, in its own way. I’ve only managed 1 a day, due to the length and me being time poor, but that’s been enough to get me buzzing every day. I hope whatever is in store next week at Watkins, is equally good.

I gonna miss Spa next week. It’s been a blast, I’ve had some poor, and some pretty good results, but every race has been interesting, in its own way. I’ve only managed 1 a day, due to the length and me being time poor, but that’s been enough to get me buzzing every day. I hope whatever is in store next week at Watkins, is equally good.
That's really what it's all about, right? Being buzzed about the next chance you have to play.

I'm a little envious - it's been a while since one of the races gave me that feeling. This week's GV would absolutely give me that feeling, if the penalties weren't so severe.

Anyway, good for you!

I just tried the WRX, and I love it. If you haven't tried it, make sure you do. I've got Brake Balance set to -2.

How's this for an eclectic set of cars?
View attachment 1341783

I finished P3 due to stupidity at the end of the last lap that cost me 2 seconds of penalties.

Ha! Made me laugh.

Awesome. Now try the WRX and see if you like it better or not.

I can second that. I've been trying to force myself to brake earlier, even though when driving it feels counterintuitive, but most of the time it gets me much better times.
B/B lobbies? You are in the driving for fun, driving what you like crowd. Mine have been mostly GT-Rs, and the old Lancer and Veyron. Saying that the Scirocco was chasing me one race and I was surprised at the performance. Generally, I'm not that keen on Gr.4 but this week, I think Gr.4. at GV is better than Gr.3. The pace is slower but also most intense. You have time to react to the curves where-as Gr.3 is more a crash-fest. Also I think the recent BoP changes to Gr.4 (ahem nerfing the Mazda3) has woken it back up.

Last edited:
I’m retired so I was getting 2/day. Originally I was not happy with the dynamic weather but by the end of the week I found that I really learned a lot (RADAR is your friend). It was carnage early but by the time the heavy rain gets there it eliminated most of those that didn’t really care.
I’ve already started practicing for The Glen next week.

Last edited:
Edit: @TheNormsk if he has a bad connection it's not ideal you being in the lobby as it's more latency. That's the only problem with when I do cross region races I know I'm a 5 bar connection mostly in Europe but the US is almost always 3 or less
This is the wild start and ending of the second race. These are not the results you would usually expect. I was P3 on the grid. By the time it actually started I was in p13 and it was telling me I was about to be disqualified and I was in reverse!

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 7.10.00 PM.png

In the end it did not assess penalties on me and once I got going, there was still enough confusion with multiple cars having 3s penalties that I worked my way to 8th.

This is still a crazy ending.
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 7.05.47 PM.png

Only the leader had a time. He was the only one that actually appeared to have a "race".

Wild stuff indeed. Even crazier than when we had that glitch some months ago. I switched off at that point.

Last edited:
I just did two more Bs. What can I say? I’m loving this race this week.

This time on my main account and I just hit my best result of the week.
IMG_7892.jpeg

I started P3 and hung onto the two A+ drivers ahead of me. As a threesome we dropped the rest of the pack. Lap 3, P2 gets a 3s penalty which jumps me to P2 last lap with a 2s gap. All I have to do is be clean….

Without the fighting between P1 and P2, P3 now puts the hammer down and I see the gap slip away. Also without the tow I was getting from the leaders I’m now losing pace.

Then I F. it up. I get a track limit penalty of 0.5s. I know I’m going be 3rd and so does P3. P3 settles in behind me after the tunnel and I cross P2 but of course get adjusted to P3.
IMG_7893.jpeg

Still great result and a super fast race.

I’m done for the night. I’m a bit shaky now.😁

Last edited:
Looks like everyone is having fun this week, either with B or C! A bit excessive week for me, I did race Spa 9 times full distance and two more times where I had to park the car in the garage half way (one tyre change missclick and the other I gambled to stay on RM with light rain, after I saw everyone is on Inters and I am still spinning around half way of the track I gave up, I usually never quit, I even gained DR here since others who gambled as well quit before me).
Anyone here who raced Spa more often than me to make me feel better? I am scared such a combo won't come for a while, so I played a lot.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240330175726.jpg

Yesterday I ended the week with a win, perfect to call it a day :-) With all fairness I have to say one guy who was ahead of me had to pit twice since he forgot to give fuel, another one who was behind me did the odd decision to pit a second time to change from IM to W. This never pays off. From then onwards I was all alone, it rained until the very end. Since I raced this many times, from my experience I haven't seen a single winner who chose full wets, inters were always the winning choice.

I changed from McLaren to the new meta Renault, 0.1s faster only for me but wanted to try out a new car. Do you guys often try different cars during a week?
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240330175708.jpg

Happy Easter!

Digit was saying this same thing during his stream today. He took IMs when the rain bar was right at, and just a bit over, the 2nd line; said it was costing him 1-2 seconds/lap (if I recall). So definitely something to it.

Link to the stream of the race when it started raining.

Interesting. So he is the first streamer/top world driver I’ve seen test this theory, and to some point show they is a potential difference in compounds.
Inter tyre race. Look like his average was around the 46 mark
Wet tyres (next race) average was 44. You could see at the end though he lost pace to the inter runners.

One thing I have heard from a few top drivers and streamers is they say the wets are totally useless, which I think to a degree they are correct, but I do think it’s all down to the length of race which tyres work best. That 2nd race the wets were quick in the middle part of the race but once it dried he was so off pace.
Also my skill level is no where near these guys pace so they could be right about inters, but for me I’ll be using what I feel are the best tyres for the conditions in future. Need to do some offline testing with this

Learning # 59:
Check assist settings before you race. It's Sunday today, and only just now after 7 days racing I realized that I had, for unknown reasons, Counter steering switched on. On strong. I saw it on a replay where a funny looking red wheel blinked away in all the corners.

No big deal, but the chicane with the poles really was harder with it on, and easier to get better exit speed without.

Back