GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,398 comments
I'm looking to upgrade my headset for use with the VR, having just used the standard earbuds so far. What are people using, any recommendations?

I'm looking to upgrade my headset for use with the VR, having just used the standard earbuds so far. What are people using, any recommendations?
I use these Moondrop CHU II IEM buds that are a major upgrade over the included earbuds at an amazing price. But I also use them with the Woojer Vest 3 which has a headphone amp that pushes them to a level beyond what the headset can do on its own. Unfortunately, the Woojer Vest 3 is not nearly as cheap as the earbuds, but worth every penny and a must-have accessory for my GT7 experience. When the Vest runs out of battery I stop driving until it's charged.

A question for folks who play GT7 in VR, and have a Logitech G Pro wheel:

When I want to enter the pits (Brands Hatch being a prime example) I'd like to indicate when I'm about to do so. Previously, in flatscreen, I'd see the indicator lights flick on, and if still on I'd be aware, and turn them off.

Whilst I can map the indicators like I used to, I can't tell if the indicators are still on or not. If I'd turned them off, by pressing the button I'd only be turning them back on (for the remainder of the race, d'oh!).

Do some of you have solutions to this problem?

Technically..no. The pixel count snd dynamic range are hardware. How ever, the experience could tighten up. Pop in’s happening less noticeably. A more snappy experience. That sort of thing.
Actually yes, I suspect the image quality used today is not maxing out the screen, Ie lower resolution and upscaled so are more powerful console could improve the image quality, it will certainly reduce pop up and improve distance image quality. I got the impression this headset was designed to live beyond the ps5, and pc compatibility may just back up that point. We will have to wait and see

A question for folks who play GT7 in VR, and have a Logitech G Pro wheel:

When I want to enter the pits (Brands Hatch being a prime example) I'd like to indicate when I'm about to do so. Previously, in flatscreen, I'd see the indicator lights flick on, and if still on I'd be aware, and turn them off.

Whilst I can map the indicators like I used to, I can't tell if the indicators are still on or not. If I'd turned them off, by pressing the button I'd only be turning them back on (for the remainder of the race, d'oh!).

Do some of you have solutions to this problem?
My solution is to use a car where the indicators are displayed inside the vehicle. Unfortunately this does not work for all cars, which has left me driving with the hazards all race long in the past.

Can I please ask what has changed with centering the view?

I just press and hold the options button and rejoin by clicking continue?

If I’m understanding you correctly, then yes.

I know I make a this comment on a quarterly basis, but how is everyone’s lenses holding up? Despite being E X T R E M E L Y careful, mine are covered in swirl scratches. If Sony has any dreams of selling these things to the PC crowd, they have a lot of work to do. The sweet spot is way too small, and the lenses are waaaaaaaay too fragile

Last edited:
No scratches. I clean mine with a microfibre cloth and store it in its original box. My corrective lenses have lightly contacted the VR lenses a couple times, but no problems.

No scratches. I clean mine with a microfibre cloth and store it in its original box. My corrective lenses have lightly contacted the VR lenses a couple times, but no problems.
So no scratches to the actual lenses, or your corrective lenses?

Also, your thoughts on the corrective lenses; do they annoyingly bring the image too far from your eyes? My thumb has literally been hovering over the ‘purchase now’ button on Amazon for a week now - to buy a new headset and order a pair of non-prescription lens covers for protection. I just want to start fresh I reckon

So no scratches to the actual lenses, or your corrective lenses?

Also, your thoughts on the corrective lenses; do they annoyingly bring the image too far from your eyes? My thumb has literally been hovering over the ‘purchase now’ button on Amazon for a week now - to buy a new headset and order a pair of non-prescription lens covers for protection. I just want to start fresh I reckon
No scratches on the headset lenses and no scratches on my glasses. I have two pairs of glasses. One for near and far sightedness. I use the farsighted glasses that make my vision crisp when reading the interior dials and when seeing far into the distance of the circuit. The image is the right distance and very clear.

I know I make a this comment on a quarterly basis, but how is everyone’s lenses holding up? Despite being E X T R E M E L Y careful, mine are covered in swirl scratches. If Sony has any dreams of selling these things to the PC crowd, they have a lot of work to do. The sweet spot is way too small, and the lenses are waaaaaaaay too fragile
I also use prescription lenses (from VR Optician) and have had no issues with them scratching despite cleaning them every day with a microfibre cloth. VRO use Zeiss lenses so they are as good as you can get. Different lens manufacturers use different mount mechanisms but mine sit very close to the built in lenses so they don’t introduce much extra space, if any. Like most people, I have to move my head to see things in sharp focus, but once a race starts, I don’t notice any issues at all as I am focusing on specific points like other cars or corner apexes, and I find that I naturally move my head accordingly regardless of any sweet-spot issues, or not. In short, the PSVR2 is far from perfect, but my life is all the better for the fact that they exist, and that they are so relatively cheap (for what they are).

Had mine since day one basically and they are fine. I'm super careful and don't were glasses and have only had a few people try them besides myself and didn't let them wear glasses. I only use those Zeiss camera lens cleaning cloths on the lenses, I think some types of microfiber can scuff these up or swirl them up, I've had that happen with a motorcycle helmet face shields. Some "microfiber" is just cheap junk made in China that's called "microfiber" but I think made with something that is more abrasive than it should be. Have to be careful with that.

Good stuff. Thanks. I might be purchasing a new headset and getting my eyes checked soon 👍🏼

@BWX. Thanks for the recommendation on cleaning cloths. Just ordered some on Amazon. Pretty sure the ones I’ve been using are the Chinese ones you’re talking about

Last edited:
No scratches on the headset lenses and no scratches on my glasses. I have two pairs of glasses. One for near and far sightedness. I use the farsighted glasses that make my vision crisp when reading the interior dials and when seeing far into the distance of the circuit. The image is the right distance and very clear.
As strange as it sounds, your eyes don’t have to refocus for different virtual distances when using a VR headset - everything sits at a fixed virtual distance of about 2m, I think it is. This is why you need 'distance' lenses when in VR, and this is yet another reason why things magically sharpen up after using VR for a few weeks ….because your brain eventually gets used to the fact that when you look at the dash, it doesn’t have to refocus your eyes to 0.5m, which it tries to do at first, which then throws your vision of the dash out of focus. This constant unnecessary refocusing of the eyes (no matter if you wear glasses or not), is yet another reason why people think that every update brings headset improvements, whereas it is simply that their brain is gradually getting more used to the whole VR scenario that it finds itself in. I haven’t read about this anywhere else, by the way - I’ve worked it out once I found out that VR projection uses a fixed focus-point of about 2m.

Yup that's why I need reading glasses to read, but I can read the dash in the cars in VR, because I can still focus out to 2m no problem IRL. Presbyopia is actually an advantage in VR I have found.

As strange as it sounds, your eyes don’t have to refocus for different virtual distances when using a VR headset - everything sits at a fixed virtual distance of about 2m, I think it is. This is why you need 'distance' lenses when in VR, and this is yet another reason why things magically sharpen up after using VR for a few weeks ….because your brain eventually gets used to the fact that when you look at the dash, it doesn’t have to refocus your eyes to 0.5m, which it tries to do at first, which then throws your vision of the dash out of focus. This constant unnecessary refocusing of the eyes (no matter if you wear glasses or not), is yet another reason why people think that every update brings headset improvements, whereas it is simply that their brain is gradually getting more used to the whole VR scenario that it finds itself in. I haven’t read about this anywhere else, by the way - I’ve worked it out once I found out that VR projection uses a fixed focus-point of about 2m.
BWX
Yup that's why I need reading glasses to read, but I can read the dash in the cars in VR, because I can still focus out to 2m no problem IRL. Presbyopia is actually an advantage in VR I have found.
It’s why I thought I needed my near(reading) glasses in VR when it’s more real to life like when I drive with my far glasses.

If I’m understanding you correctly, then yes.

Just the one scratch from 6mo ago.

I didnt realise until yesterday that when you get front end damage it takes the rotation angle of the steering wheel off-centre a bit.
Pretty cool, but I'm glad when its fixed as once you are aware of it it's annoying, just like in a real car with a steering wheel a tiny fraction out of line.

My free $ lens protection! :D

2 Months of use and no problem at all.
You feel if the glasses touch the felt Pad.

Soon or later I've to decide to make prescription vr lenses.

Fog in the glasses sometimes is a problem.

Attachments

• 20240308_180336.jpg
    20240308_180336.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240308_180306.jpg
    20240308_180306.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240308_180207.jpg
    20240308_180207.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
I know it's not been confirmed either way, but looking less likely to happen as things stand, but what percentage of GT7 PSVR2 owners do you think would get F1 2024 if it was compatible with PSVR2. I haven't bought an F1 game since 2020 and won't buy one again unless its compatible with PSVR2. Very keen to play it in VR as GT7 lacks offline single player custom championships, plus I want to race alongside real F1 drivers in a proper F1 championship in VR. Plus I can give Max a good wave as I overtake him each race as I become the first teammate of his to actually challenge him...

I know it's not been confirmed either way, but looking less likely to happen as things stand, but what percentage of GT7 PSVR2 owners do you think would get F1 2024 if it was compatible with PSVR2. I haven't bought an F1 game since 2020 and won't buy one again unless its compatible with PSVR2. Very keen to play it in VR as GT7 lacks offline single player custom championships, plus I want to race alongside real F1 drivers in a proper F1 championship in VR. Plus I can give Max a good wave as I overtake him each race as I become the first teammate of his to actually challenge him...
This. F1 or not.

If it goes like GT Sport, the Pro will severely improve the visual side of things. I really hope PD are hard at work improving VR on their PS5 Pro dev kit.

Disappointing most devs ignored PSVR2, but I think it's because of how heavy their game is. GT7 looks better than all other racing games but it is a severely well optimized game, it runs at 4k 90fps with VRR. When you have games like EA WRC running on UE4 which is a heavy engine, VR is always going to suffer.

Back