GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,398 comments
Well, my headset and controller just did an update. Did a quick scan through the first page of threads and didn't see anything about it. Anyone else get an update? Anyone know if there's anything of interest in this update?

Hi!

Idk If to call it placebo or not, but this last update to the headset made "centering" in front of the wheel of the car better in my case.

Of course it could just be me, but for some cars (not all of them) I was a little off center to the right of the wheel. Now I'm centered. Probably a system problem since I had to re center the POV moving my head a little and then it was good, but now I don't need to do that. Same light, same place, same everything. With the TV lines active and inactive.

Maybe that "stability" patch helped with some headsets, like mine.

Unfortunately, for me after updating the headset yesterday I kept running into play area tracking errors that would pull me out mid race for brief moment, then would put me back into the vr pause screen as if no issue occurred. This continued even after doing a rescan of my room. I am using the tracking support setting as well. Not sure if my room lights are too bright or not enough stuff on my walls, but right now I wish the tracking was more reliable.

Unfortunately, for me after updating the headset yesterday I kept running into play area tracking errors that would pull me out mid race for brief moment, then would put me back into the vr pause screen as if no issue occurred. This continued even after doing a rescan of my room. I am using the tracking support setting as well. Not sure if my room lights are too bright or not enough stuff on my walls, but right now I wish the tracking was more reliable.
Make sure to clean all four of those ir lens’s. Skin oil on the bottom two is usually my culprit for that.

Think I had an interesting bug today. Lobby race with a grid start. With lights on red I had no throttle, I thought thats weird but the car pulled off the line with green light but then I couldnt steer. Then I noticed the warning lights were flashing, then I realised it must be the AI driving, and it was! With me watching in VR cockpit.
Wish I had kept it on to see how long it lasted but I was furiously pressing all the buttons and menus to get it to reset and it did I regained normal control.
Thats the first time I have been able to look around as a virtual passenger but in the driving seat. Should be an option for us, it felt and looked good, although I wasnt going around a corner, maybe that would be sickness inducing.

On Drive Club VR on the original PSVR, you could watch replays, but sat in the front passenger seat. Worked brilliantly sitting next to yourself watching yourself driving and watching the action. You could even lean out the window without the screen turning black for being out of bounds.
This would be incredible, one of the best replay views is that side cockpit view and would be amazing in VR to sit in on your own drive.

I searched this thread for "browser" and didn't find anything related so I thought I would share. Follow these instructions for pulling up your favorite GTPlanet thread with the headset on. Just swap out the link to the thread you want.

I feel like great hardware will just die out in matter of months/years. Glad they are doing pc support for it, so I can still use it.

maybe they’ll be a decent price cut now - it’s very much needed to boost the userbase

They are divesting. They closed basically all their VR studios.

They are most definitely out.

The move to PC always struck me as a way to clear inventory.

Huge bummer, but the writing was on the wall.

It's obvious why it isn't selling, there aren't enough games to justify the price for most people. But why? Why aren't more games including VR support? This is a genuine question since I know nothing about games design and VR. :D

It's obvious why it isn't selling, there aren't enough games to justify the price for most people. But why? Why aren't more games including VR support? This is a genuine question since I know nothing about games design and VR. :D
Not enough games so people don't buy the headset.

Not enough headsets sold to make it financially worthwile for developers to make VR games/modes or even just port old ones from PSVR or Quest.

There is problem somewhere. I think Sony did not enough to promote Headsets + lack of backward compatibility killed it.
The BC is a big part of it. I still have the original headset just to keep playing Astro Bot. Not getting that all-time classic on the new device was a massive fail by Sony.

The price was the big killer though for the casual audience. Why buy the PSVR2 (requiring wires and a PS5) when you could get a standalone Quest (with a huge library of games) for hundreds of pounds less?

GT7 on its own is not enough (I have tried it now on a friend's system, it's as great as you all say).

The problem with the PSVR2, even before looking at the library, was always going to be that you needed a PS5 with it - realistically very very few people who didn't already own a PS5 would go "I want a VR headset, I'll buy both a PS5 and PSVR2 for near £1000" when there are comparable standalone or PC-compatible headsets for significantly cheaper than buying both PS products.

So the market was a niche (existing PS5 owners) of a niche (people interested in VR), which is never a good sign for long term prospects.

Like @Fezzik pointed out, it starts to become a Catch-22 with the games released and headset sales. I think one of the biggest failures is not having access to Youtube VR or browser support. The game catalog is of course a big issue, but an issue that people know Sony could overcome if they were committed to delivering new and unique features to the headset. But not having those extra features that your top competitor has had for years and that people use extensively is a big mistake when you have the more expensive headset. I'm curious about what Google and Samsung are dropping and if it can disrupt the market. I am shocked that none of the major players in VR haven't partnered up with Vudu and YouTube and enabled 3d viewing. Both services have a large library of 3d content that would easily work in VR headsets. You just need those apps to have a 3d player which multiple third-party apps can do it. I've watched a decent amount of 3d movies on Quest and it is great. But it is not easy at all to find content and there is a learning curve to accessing it.

They have sold quite a few, there are games coming up, some exclusive so it's hardly dying. Remember most people can't afford a £500 add on to their ps5 and Sony knew that. I think support will continue but GT7 remains the best game for me, although looking forward to aces of thunder.

My thought on pc access is two fold, opens up a far superior headset to PC users, but also potentially easier for games to come over to ps5 from PC too depending on how they are actually making it compatible.

My true hope now is a ps5 pro and improved GT7/8 VR

I will drive GT7 with PS VR2 to EOL. I hope this isn't the end of Sony dabbing in VR.

Now at 50 years old and with previous PCVR experience under my belt, nothing will ever get me to go back to the PC/Windows ecosystem.

This is really disappointing news but not surprising. Meta has ruined VR. My Oculus Rift S is basically a brick since I refuse to open a Meta account. Microsoft is willingly bricking all WMR headsets. Sony likely dropping out. All because Meta came up with a way for people to strap a cell phone onto their heads...

opens up a far superior headset to PC users
PSVR2 coming to PC would be the only reason why I would personally consider one (for reasons I have gone into before in this thread), and for the price, it could make a strong contender on PC. However, it's far from being superior to the high end of PC VR sets.

Its still boggling how nobody has really come out with a viable multi directional treadmill. I just can’t get over having a wire attached when checking out games such as pavlov and zenith and consequently just don’t play them.

Also, sony has really dropped the ball not supporting things such as utube etc. i would pay good money to watch nhl games in vr.

Ugh.

Eta: i guess this is my last playstation/console. After 15yrs the only reason i went back to PlayStation was the cost effective VR with min specs high enough to not suck. Not something meta offers.

More ugh though as a pc and quality vr is going to run like 5k and im not in an industry which uses pc’s ><

Last edited:
This is kinda sad, if its true. There are many people on reddit who claim's the guy who wrote the article is known to be anti PlayStation and wrote a lot of other article's which turned out to be not true either. I have no idea what to believe. But really if there is some truth to it then its a sad day.

I can't see my self play GT8 if there will be no PSVR3.

Back