GTPlanet Scale model thread

• Thread starter bondy_1625
  • 15,743 comments
I personally don't restrict myself in size, manufacturer, produced by company, etc. and don't really understand why people do this instead of just collecting the models they like. So my advise would be just buy the models you like. Worst thing what could happen would be having your favourite cars in different sizes :D
The reason why I primarily collect 1:64's is because they don't take up a lot of space and are quite cheap compared to 1:43's.

1/24 is mostly a scale for kit to build yourself. But if you just want to collect, 1/18, 1/43, and 1/64 are more suitable.

1/64 is a very active scale right now; lots of new makers and interesting models release. But it is slowly getting more expensive.

I only like to collect 1 scale just so all cars « match » together and see the real size difference between them.

I used to collect 1/18 but you really need space and a solid budget if you want to keep up with the release and collect what you like so now I’ve settled on 1/43 for 14 years.

So noob questions here, hoping to get some guidance as I'm looking into starting a collection of model cars.
Guidance: don't. It's a trap.

More seriously, @toastet pretty much covered it. I personally used to collect 1/18 through my late teens into my 20s, but that was back when you could get an AutoArt or Kyosho - mid-range makers at the time - for £10-£20 if you knew where to look. Now I'm (very) slowly in the process of selling them because space. More recently I've dabbled with 1/64 for space and price reasons as @ScottPuss20 mentioned. I've avoided 1/43 purely because there's such a huge range and I'd get very poor very quickly!

That's great info. Thanks for the feedback. @Kedmasterz @ScottPuss20 @toastet

As Kedmasterz stated, I want to have everything in one size. For me, it's just an OCD thing as I know it will drive me completely nuts if the cars are not the same scale, especially with how I plan to display them.

The 1/18s were not in my radar because I could tell they'll need some serious real estate which is limited for me in my condo and they seemed like they'd be way outside of my budget as well. When I decided to start my collection, I bought a couple of 1/24s a couple of months back because I really like that size but in researching some good ones, they also seem to be on the higher end on of my budget as well. My wife gifted me 3 F1 cars that are in the 1/43 scale and I quite like that size too especially since they probably will work better for my space and they are just big enough to have some fine details which I like too. I wasn't sure which of the 2 scales had more options so that's why I asked. I looked at the 1/64s as well but I don't want to go that small.

By the way, are there any manufacturers that should be avoided? Or are they all good?

Roo
Guidance: don't. It's a trap.

Oh trust me, I do not plan on going broke doing this lol 😂. I already have a list of what I specifically want and I'm sticking to that. Whether or not I can find them, that will be a different story 😅

I just love to have to have my most favourite cars in as many scales as possible but I also got sucked back into 1/64 in the last years.

nisgtrgt01.JPG

As Kedmasterz stated, I want to have everything in one size. For me, it's just an OCD thing as I know it will drive me completely nuts if the cars are not the same scale, especially with how I plan to display them.

The 1/18s were not in my radar because I could tell they'll need some serious real estate which is limited for me in my condo and they seemed like they'd be way outside of my budget as well. When I decided to start my collection, I bought a couple of 1/24s a couple of months back because I really like that size but in researching some good ones, they also seem to be on the higher end on of my budget as well. My wife gifted me 3 F1 cars that are in the 1/43 scale and I quite like that size too especially since they probably will work better for my space and they are just big enough to have some fine details which I like too. I wasn't sure which of the 2 scales had more options so that's why I asked. I looked at the 1/64s as well but I don't want to go that small.

By the way, are there any manufacturers that should be avoided? Or are they all good?

Oh trust me, I do not plan on going broke doing this lol 😂. I already have a list of what I specifically want and I'm sticking to that. Whether or not I can find them, that will be a different story 😅
Check "Flea Markets" just watch pricing take pictures to see if you can find them cheaper, also with spring coming up 2-5 months away watch yard sales. I have 1/24 scale models that are over 40 years old still shrink wrapped . The red pickup truck is the Sam Walton I had to promise my mother that I would not leave it in the box before she would buy it for me it's at least 30 years old. And yes I do have the box it came in.

Attachments

• 20240131_234519.jpg
    20240131_234519.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240131_234346.jpg
    20240131_234346.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240131_234247.jpg
    20240131_234247.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240131_234143.jpg
    20240131_234143.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

1:43's are nice but the prices have gone through the roof and competition is scarce. It's only TSM, Spark and Minichamps if you aren't willing to shell out $150 for an Ignition Model. There is a lot less choice compared to what you can get in 1:64 scale. In the 1:64 segment, there's a bunch of brands to choose from: CM, INNO64, MINI GT, Pop Race, Sparky, Minichamps, BM Creations, Tarmac, Schuco, IXO, Xcar Toys, Time Micro, Tomica Limited Vintage, Hobby Japan, Para 64 and Kyosho. You can get all sorts of stuff.
IMG_0118.JPG

IXO x Tarmac
IMG_0355.JPG

INNO64
IMG_2599.JPG

Pop Race
IMG_8556.JPG

Xcar Toys
IMG_9411.JPG

Tomica Limited Vintage
IMG_9515.JPG

Kyosho
IMG_9739.JPG

Para 64
IMG_1357.JPG

Sparky
IMG_2504 (2).JPG

MINI GT
IMG_0139.JPG

Schuco x Tarmac
IMG_2392.JPG

Tarmac
IMG_0107.JPG

CM
IMG_0357.JPG

BM Creations
IMG_9760.JPG

Hobby Japan
IMG_2603.JPG

Time Micro

Yep, that's right: You can buy anything from a Toyota Alphard to a Liberty Walk F40 to a Lynk And Co 03 from the WTCC.

Last edited:
Here we have a 1/18 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4S in Seal Grey Metallic from GT Spirit. This color combo is just gorgeous, had to have this model.

Unfortunately it suffers from what seems to be a common issue on these GT Spirit models, the rear window is warped and not fitted properly.

View attachment 1322459
Will a gentle warm with a hose dryer help with to unwarp?

1:43's are nice but the prices have gone through the roof and competition is scarce. It's only TSM, Spark and Minichamps if you aren't willing to shell out $150 for an Ignition Model. There is a lot less choice compared to what you can get in 1:64 scale. In the 1:64 segment, there's a bunch of brands to choose from: CM, INNO64, MINI GT, Pop Race, Sparky, Minichamps, BM Creations, Tarmac, Schuco, IXO, Xcar Toys, Time Micro, Tomica Limited Vintage, Hobby Japan, Para 64 and Kyosho. You can get all sorts of stuff.
A lot of the IXO models are in 1:43, at least most of the racing and rally models are in that scale. Hot Wheels got me back into the collecting of 1:64s a couple of years ago, but the scale is always a little off. I have more recently gone away from HW slightly to MiniGT and whatever I can find in the States. Ebay is a good place to find them as well. The diecast shops here really only carry HW and Matchbox. AutoWorld, Johnny Lightning, and M2 are growing in areas. MiniGT is really the only real premium brand, but they are usually always behind on stocking new models. For example, I still havent seen the McLaren F1 GTR 1995 LM24 winner here yet.

Will a gentle warm with a hose dryer help with to unwarp?
I've not looked into proper fixes yet but that could be a possibility. Wondering, too, if I could somehow remove the whole piece and glue it back because it looks like it's warped just because the manufacturer forced it to fit in place.

the most effective way is to remove the whole thing and re glue it; it's a commun problem on resin model even on 1/43 I already had to do it few times.

Thanks for the feedback, I will look up how to remove the windows. I have at least 3 models I can think of that need fixing.

Just moved house and its a new build, has no shelving. The room is slightly smaller too.

I am itching to try and get my models up and displayed but I need to be clever with it - I need some inspiration for showcasing them... but in a smaller space.

Have to fit in my Office/Desk, my Sim Rig eventually, and a Wardrobe/storage. :dunce:

Just moved house and its a new build, has no shelving. The room is slightly smaller too.

I am itching to try and get my models up and displayed but I need to be clever with it - I need some inspiration for showcasing them... but in a smaller space.

Have to fit in my Office/Desk, my Sim Rig eventually, and a Wardrobe/storage. :dunce:
Ikea has shelving options I have seen folk use, but seeing as there are non near me I never did buy any of their options myself. I instead use clear 12 car cases for a lot of my stuff.
Anyway some fresh pics:

Ignore the 4 lugs on the wheels, never got around to grinding down and filling them lol

Ignoring the boxed new models in this picture, I found a box of 1/43 rally cars in the back of my closet, I knew the box was there but thought maybe 5 models were in there and surprised to find 20! These were "discarded" models or ones that I deemed not good and were replaced with better versions. They're not bad at all, I will dust them off and display with the rest. :D

53561500784_07ced64b27_b.jpg

This is a 1/18 scale Porsche 911 S/T “Specification “ in Viper Green. It's from a brand called Car.tima (a German scale model retailer) and I guess they had this model made exclusively, though the box has no mention of actual manufacturer. Great model, one of the best sealed ones in my collection now, but it is not a replica of a genuine 1970-71 911 S/T, but rather a homage to one, hence the “Specification” part of the name, which makes it a pretty interesting and kinda strange model.

Edit: better pictures added.
Edit3.JPG

Edit9.JPG

Last edited:
That one is an MG Metro 6R4. May not have been the most successful of the Group B cars, but a cool one nonetheless.
Very cool that Williams racing was involved with the design. They managed a podium in their first rally and slipped down from there. Also, the engine became what powered the XJ220 (which I find to be a really cool fact of motorsport history).

Very cool that Williams racing was involved with the design. They managed a podium in their first rally and slipped down from there. Also, the engine became what powered the XJ220 (which I find to be a really cool fact of motorsport history).
Whoa, yeah forgot that the engine went on to the XJ220, love that car too. My first model car was a Le Mans Blue XJ220 in 1/18 scale from Maisto. :)

Got some more 1/43 rally cars, the focus here is arguably the most famous, most popular, most legendary and historic rally car of all time... the Ford Fiesta.

Bad picture, sorry, lighting is horrendous in my house.
1000016445.jpg

Kidding about the Fiesta of course. I like it, though. The highlight for real here has to be the Lancia 037 Safari rally car. The model is more detailed than some 1/18 models I've seen...
1000016446.jpg

1000016449.jpg

My cat doesn't care about the models but loves the box. He might be on catnip right now 😂
1000016453.jpg

Last edited:
Back