How long do you guys practice for?

• Thread starter VIPFREAK
  • 111 comments
hi...i didn't know which thread to ask this question in...

so, i've been fooling around with all the different kind of set-ups for drifting.. and i was messing around with the initial torque thingy, acceleration thingy, and deceleration thingy in the transmission set-up... (i forgot the proper name for them)... but you guys should know what i'm talking about, cuz most of you should be familiar with setting up cars... anyone know what they do??? cuz i fooled around with three of them (putting them at the highest, then the lowest) and i find no difference in my driving/drifting... sorry if my explanations are unclear

jamaican
hi...i didn't know which thread to ask this question in...

so, i've been fooling around with all the different kind of set-ups for drifting.. and i was messing around with the initial torque thingy, acceleration thingy, and deceleration thingy in the transmission set-up... (i forgot the proper name for them)... but you guys should know what i'm talking about, cuz most of you should be familiar with setting up cars... anyone know what they do??? cuz i fooled around with three of them (putting them at the highest, then the lowest) and i find no difference in my driving/drifting... sorry if my explanations are unclear

these are the adjustments for the way the differential acts.

my level of tuning isn't high enough to know what each setting does, so i generally don't use the "full customization diff" the 1.5 way should suffice.

In a nut shell it tells the engine how quick to send power to the tires.

This is the simplest way i know of telling what they do. For more info on what differentials do. Search for one of DR's thread. Or go HERE to get a nice explanation

i have never practiced drifting.. i started to get bored of grip, and found a drift setting for an s13 ca somewhere.. and started drifting.. hell, i sucked.. but gradually i got better.. started going through corners with a decent line.. then started to link up corners.. damn i was so proud of myself when i first linked up a corner.. but from then to now, i don't remember sh it.. all i know is that i can link up tracks.. i don't really experiment, i just tend to do it differently everytime.. i can't say i can drift any car, on any track because i can't.. however, my definition of decent drift is being able to link up most of a track.. and i can say i have tried drifting stock cars with sims and i can't link up most of a track.. maybe i'm sh it or maybe my definition of decent drift is different from others

the vid of me drifting my FC i posted up just a few days ago, which was broken but now is fixed, isn't my best effort.. but i don't care, it gives you an idea of how i drift and what i drift like

every lap i do is completly different, and i love to be able to notice the differences and adapt to them to my style.. i think that's what it takes to be a pure driver .. in reality anyway.. to be able to adapt to tracks, conditions, cars and win.. i'm from Australia, and know of only one race driver here in Australia who can do that.. His name is Jim Richards, famous in Aus, maybe intl. too? In a V8 Supercar meeting weekend, he'll get out of a Porsche GT3, LHD, RWD rear mounted engine and win.. then he'll get into a V8 SuperCar, FR, heavy as all fu ck, RHD no p/s and still win.. to me, this guy is a master race car drive

no, i'm not saying i'm a master drifter.. i'm saying, i like to be able to notice how to adapt to different laps

Cheers
Ben

newbie to the boards. anyway i noticed some people has a link in their sig called Drift Bible. but when i went to click on it. the link doesnt work? i would like to see the link. thank you

i drift in that game all the time. i wish i could find someone to host a video for me. i'd like to see what you guys would say about it. :)

I start drifting 1 year ago and I practice for 1 hour on Tahti Maze, Deep forest 1/2, Cote d' Azur, Apricot hill 1/2, Trial Mountain 1/2 with the GT4 wheel. That was in the beginning, now I just drift for fun. I think I am really good with the GT4 wheel now 👍

i practice a little over an hour after i do the homework(work b4 play)...but i practice on the corses im familiar with...and i also practice with all my drift cars so get the feel of each one on the tracks...is that a good start?

I practice in real life as well.. it's really practice, practice, practice...

also imagine it, read up on it, and just educate your self on the following things:

weight transfer
traction circle (maximizing grip per tire)
the 7 basic drift techniques -
1) e-brake
2) power-over
3) braking
4) shift lock
5) wheel drop off
6) feint
7) dynamic (combination of all 6 above)

Here are some videos of me in my car when I am out there autox and tracking:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=GT-Legacy
http://media.putfile.com/NASA-VIR-Feb-06

Full collection of my real-car action videos here:
http://www.bwimports.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1791

My first time playing GT3, after a couple of months it came out. I SUCKED. I didn't like GT3 at all. Then I got into circuit racing/autoX/rallyX/Drifting. I got into GT3 again. Then my sis's bf came over and took a RX-7 and tuned it for drifting. I couldn't even make it through the corner. After a few years of circuit racing. I got into GT3 again, that is when GT4 came out. This time it took me less than an hour how to drift. Still in GT4, I can't get the rear to kick out how I want it to in GT3.

in GT4, there's more emphasis in weight transfer.. so look for that when you hit the brakes to get the car to shift the weight forward just enough for the wheels to lose grip in the rear.. the really easy way to get the rear end out is to run non-matching tires (like using super soft up front and medium race in the rear).. 90% of my cars are set up this way to get the car to rotate on me so I dont need to use the brakes and adjust brake bias as much, it's easier to feel for the loss of grip as it fades whereas brakes and suspension snap in and out of grip if you are not a smooth enough driver to see it happen.

Vision GT
hehe...i'll just stick to drifting in GT3 and grip driving in GT4

You'll understand grip driving easily enough once you go faster and faster.. most of the time you'll end up setting up a car that has a tendency for understeer.. in which is another form of "drifting" that we are all not familar with unless you know how 4-wheel drifting works and slip angles work.. when you are that level, you'll soon realize that the rear can be managed to break traction just as easily as the front.. just takes practice, dont limit yourself.

Xenonk
You'll understand grip driving easily enough once you go faster and faster.. most of the time you'll end up setting up a car that has a tendency for understeer.. in which is another form of "drifting" that we are all not familar with unless you know how 4-wheel drifting works and slip angles work.. when you are that level, you'll soon realize that the rear can be managed to break traction just as easily as the front.. just takes practice, dont limit yourself.

I tried and tried with the D1 Falken FC car. I made it through that last turn on Tsukuba but all of those other turns, I keep spinning out.

One of my S2000, I got the rear to slide around but then it's mainly used for grip. Maybe I'll keep trying. I've been playing in the winter with my Impreza and in the game my Spec-C stops instantly or slides off course. It's even worse with aids off.

Vision GT
I tried and tried with the D1 Falken FC car. I made it through that last turn on Tsukuba but all of those other turns, I keep spinning out.

One of my S2000, I got the rear to slide around but then it's mainly used for grip. Maybe I'll keep trying. I've been playing in the winter with my Impreza and in the game my Spec-C stops instantly or slides off course. It's even worse with aids off.

Oh, I never have ANY of the aids on.. that just hinders your control.. it's like driving with ABS, Traction Control and Active Stability in a real car which I really hate.. there's no real sense of freedom of control... practice without the aids.. you'll soon realize that you will hit a whole new level of car control :)

Ive been playing Gran Turismo 3 since the day it came out. so thats about 4-5 years i think. Ive tuned everyone of ym cars to perfection and i have a diffrent car for every diffrent type of race, i have only recently in the last 1-2 years been drifting and practising and the hardest track to drift is Complex String, (still cant do it all without over steering way too far).....so i agree, no matter how long u play theres always room for improvment

Back