MT vs AT - how much faster?

• Thread starter MSkovmose
  • 65 comments
I do exactly the same thing.
But definitely MT allows you to be more " flexible " and faster at TT lap times .
Am such an old dog that am playing the same combination from gt1 😂 ( buttons for everything ).
In gt3 i got my first wheel ( Logitech ) and i was faster without a doubt even on AT gears.

Perhaps i must switch to triggers for brake and throttle but then MT will be impossible for me.
I use right analog for acceleration and brake, and triggers for shifting. Found it hurt my thumb less and gave me more control.

I don't know how anyone plays this game with an AT. The additional braking you get from using a MT is awesome. The extra rotation you can get on tight turns when dropping down a gear is unquestionable. The ability to stay in the engine's powerband with at MT is a game over scenario when compared to AT. Try driving the DP-100 tuned for the Tokyo WTC600 race. If you drove an AT with that car, you would probably be a minute slower in your overall race time vs the manual transmission.
This was what finally made me switch to MT. Too many people were saying this car could win Tokyo WTC600 easily and I still couldn't. But as soon as I forced myself to try it with MT I finally got 1st in that race. Only took me about 2 days of staying dedicated to get used to it and I see zero reason to go back other than to make a tutorial video for beginners and testing purposes.

Just want to add to this that if you are using a controller, I highly suggest the motion steering. The only negative to using it is you can turn the controller too far and it will reset the steering to the center position without you realizing it. If you drive in cockpit view you will easily see this. But you can adjust the feedback settings and get the range and speed of motion to your liking. If you happen to play in VR and do not have a wheel, this recommendation is even more of a must-try.

Manual is an h-pattern and 3 pedals using the manual trans in the parts dealer. The two pedal with paddle shift approach using the racing trans in the parts dealer is a semi-automatic. This is likely what is meant by manual in this thread. It's technically a semi-automatic, and faster than an h-pattern and 3 pedals using the manual trans in the parts dealer, and most likely faster than full automatic.

IRL the automatics are sometimes even faster than the semi-automatic. See your race car driver reviews for Porsche GT3 at Road Atlanta or Laguna Seca, they leave the PDK in auto.

IMO, if you go for the fastest method, then you should just let Sopy play the game and go do something else. IRL let the NIO EP9 drive your race car.

Or, get a Fanatec h-pattern and 3 pedals using the manual trans in the parts dealer. Set the gear ratios so you top out on straight in 6th and then you can enjoy the game versus worry about going faster.

Just want to add to this that if you are using a controller, I highly suggest the motion steering. The only negative to using it is you can turn the controller too far and it will reset the steering to the center position without you realizing it. If you drive in cockpit view you will easily see this. But you can adjust the feedback settings and get the range and speed of motion to your liking. If you happen to play in VR and do not have a wheel, this recommendation is even more of a must-try.
Hey, I noticed you joined recently, are you familiar with MT, I'm trying to find a good configuration for my controller so I can shift my gears up/down quick while braking and accelerating through corners.

Hey, I noticed you joined recently, are you familiar with MT, I'm trying to find a good configuration for my controller so I can shift my gears up/down quick while braking and accelerating through corners.
So I have my button configuration setup like pictured here. Because I'm using the motion of the controller for steering. Thumbs are available for button presses. Shifting up and down with thumb press. I think you can get a much more precise steering from the motion steering. Plus the advantage of it freeing up your thumbs.

Then when you pause after starting a race you have additional controller and assist settings. Under controller settings I have
Controller Steering Sensitivity 2
Trigger Effect Accelerator and Brake set to strong
Force Feedback Max Torque 8
Force Feedback Sensitivity 3

Under assist settings I have it set to manual transmission
Custom preset
Traction Control 1
ABS Weak
Auto drive Off
Active Stability Management Off
Countersteering Assistance Off

Attachments