Overview of GT7 Telemetry Software

• Thread starter snimat
  • 152 comments
I have added some nice new features to gt7dashboard. Here are some of the key features:
  • Added Speed Peaks and Valleys to a new tab called "Race Line" that displays the race line for the last laps and the reference lap race line. The map projection is now consistent with that of the game.
  • Added "Speed Variance" for the three best laps, which highlights areas for improvement.
  • Improved documentation.
  • Added real car names.
  • Added "Tire/Car Speed Ratio" for wheel spin detection.
  • Enhanced fuel map.
  • Improved "Speed Peaks and Valleys" diagram.
Main Tab:
View attachment 1251963

Race Lines Tab with Speed Peaks and Valleys

View attachment 1251959
Hi could you help me installing this app? I am too dummy for this, but telemetry would be very useful for me. Thanks

I run it on my Win11 laptop
  1. Install Python3 for Windows for all users
  2. Read the "Requirements" from https://github.com/Bornhall/gt7telemetry because you need one extra python module
  3. Open a command shell and and execute the script
Regards,
Joerg
Thanks, I was able to install python and salsa module. I did this: pip3 install -r requirements.txt
Installation was ok, now what?

Where ever you have extract the Archive... run "python3 gt7telemetry.py 192.168.1.25" (please insert your Playstation IP address as an argument).

Where ever you have extract the Archive... run "python3 gt7telemetry.py 192.168.1.25" (please insert your Playstation IP address as an argument).
I get this

PS C:\Users\Downloads\gt7dashboard-main\gt7dashboard-main> python3 gt7telemetry.py 192.168.3.14

can't open file 'C:\\Users\\Downloads\\gt7dashboard-main\\gt7dashboard-main\\gt7telemetry.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

1. You should open an cmd rather an than powershell
  2. Try python3 .\gt7telemetry.py 192.168.3.14
I also tried cmd. But then I get this

C:\Users\Downloads\gt7telemetry-main\gt7telemetry-main>python3 gt7telemetry.py 192.168.3.14

'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

But I have installed python3

1. You should open an cmd rather an than powershell
  2. Try python3 .\gt7telemetry.py 192.168.3.14
Update, I got this. But I have Installed salsa20

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Downloads\gt7telemetry-main\gt7telemetry.py", line 8, in <module>
from salsa20 import Salsa20_xor
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'salsa20'

Last edited:
Hmmm.... ah ;)
Try "python" rather than "python3".

C:\Users\Behrens>python --version
Python 3.11.3
The Python installer add the location to my %PATH% environment so its in the search path.

C:\Users\Behrens\Downloads\gt7telemetry-main\gt7telemetry-main>python .\gt7telemetry.py 192.168.1.20

Have Fun!

Hmmm.... ah ;)
Try "python" rather than "python3".

The Python installer add the location to my %PATH% environment so its in the search path.

C:\Users\Behrens\Downloads\gt7telemetry-main\gt7telemetry-main>python .\gt7telemetry.py 192.168.1.20

Have Fun!
telemetry is working thanks

Nevermind. I got the telemetry to work, but I was wondering about the dashboard. The first app listed by the OP

Last edited:
What is docker?

Sorry for the dumb question

I have added some nice new features to gt7dashboard. Here are some of the key features:
  • Added Speed Peaks and Valleys to a new tab called "Race Line" that displays the race line for the last laps and the reference lap race line. The map projection is now consistent with that of the game.
  • Added "Speed Variance" for the three best laps, which highlights areas for improvement.
  • Improved documentation.
  • Added real car names.
  • Added "Tire/Car Speed Ratio" for wheel spin detection.
  • Enhanced fuel map.
  • Improved "Speed Peaks and Valleys" diagram.
Main Tab:
View attachment 1251963

Race Lines Tab with Speed Peaks and Valleys

View attachment 1251959
What's is this interface? I did not found instructions clearly on how to install this. Sorry, Because i'm dumb with coding.

Last edited:
Download latest list of cars

They will stored on db\cars.csv

You need to set an environment variable

and than try

I havent my Playstation around right now... so limited testing.

Regards,
Joerg
Thank you! I was able to download car list and inserted this "set GT7_PLAYSTATION_IP=192.168.3.14 bokeh serve"
Now, i get this:

C:\Users\Downloads\gt7>python .\main.py
INFO:root:No connection to 192.168.3.14 bokeh serve:33739: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed

Ip is correct.

Update: I also disabled firewall and allowed UDP conenction for ports listed on the description.

Last edited:
Try only

Regards,
Joerg
Nothing happens, but no error message. Nothing seems to open, it returns to the cmd input.

1683408002739.png

Last edited:
set GT7_PLAYSTATION_IP=192.168.3.14
python -m bokeh serve .

Please take notice about the "dot" which means current location.

Than open your browser and point it to the url which you see in the output.

Got it "working" :)

1683408374364.png

Regards,
Joerg

Last edited:
I can select a reference lap, but can I change de last lap information?
No. Currently last lap will always be your last lap.

OMG it worked! Thank you so much. The instructions should be updated? Cause those commands were not working!
The commands work for MacOS and Linux. I will add the commands for Windows to the Readme.

To be fair, the whole setup process is currently made for more experienced users. I will gladly add any other helping information.

Edit:

I added run.bat and run.sh files which may help users with no experience of the command line and Python.

Last edited:
No. Currently last lap will always be your last lap.

The commands work for MacOS and Linux. I will add the commands for Windows to the Readme.

To be fair, the whole setup process is currently made for more experienced users. I will gladly add any other helping information.

Edit:

I added run.bat and run.sh files which may help users with no experience of the command line and Python.

I want to thank you for that, this is such a underrated app on the community. It gives us a lot of rich information, I am enjoying it a lot! I just have two questions about the manual when it says:

“ Everything under the solid bar at 0 is slower than the reference lap. Everything above is slower than the reference lap.”

Both are slower?

And..

“ This map is helpful if you are using the index number of a graph to quickly determine where in the lap a measurement was taken.”

Index number of the map is different from the index number on the graph table for me.

Also Speed Deviation (Spd. Dev.) graph is blank for me, nothing shows up.

Issues at work and a change of career meant I have been on the backburner for months now, but jeebus people you have been going nuts. I think I'll need to play catchup here!

Thank you for sharing this telemetry @snimat; it has been helping me better understand the brake modulation that replay pilots use. However, I came across the following situation. I'm comparing my lap with the replay lap, where my line is represented by the blue trace and the reference line by the purple one. Notice that I brake earlier, but the speed graph reduces the speed later compared to the reference. Is this a bug? I noticed this because when I try to replicate the replay's braking, I never manage to make the turn; I always end up running wide on the exit. Could it be related to tire temperature as well?

Attachments

• Sem título.jpg
    Sem título.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 18
Help

Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil>=2.8.1->pandas~=1.5.3->-r requirements.txt (line 4))
Using cached six-1.16.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (11 kB)
Building wheels for collected packages: salsa20
Building wheel for salsa20 (pyproject.toml) ... error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Building wheel for salsa20 (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
│ exit code: 1
╰─> [1 lines of output]
error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater is required. Get it with "Microsoft C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visual-cpp-build-tools/
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
ERROR: Failed building wheel for salsa20
Failed to build salsa20
ERROR: Could not build wheels for salsa20, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

Install the right version of the Microsoft Visual C++ and try again.

Regards,
Joerg
I installed the latest version and it showed a new error.

╰─> [7 lines of output]
core_hsalsa20.c
core_salsa20.c
stream_salsa20.c
stream_xsalsa20.c
salsa20.c
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: nÆo ‚ poss¡vel abrir o arquivo 'MSVCRT.lib'
error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2022\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.35.32215\\bin\\HostX86\\x86\\link.exe' failed with exit code 1104
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
Failed to build salsa20
ERROR: Could not build wheels for salsa20, which is required to install pyproject.toml-based projects

I installed the latest version and it showed a new error.

╰─> [7 lines of output]
core_hsalsa20.c
core_salsa20.c
stream_salsa20.c
stream_xsalsa20.c
salsa20.c
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: nÆo ‚ poss¡vel abrir o arquivo 'MSVCRT.lib'
error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2022\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.35.32215\\bin\\HostX86\\x86\\link.exe' failed with exit code 1104
[end of output]

Failed to build salsa20
Creator here. This is related to salsa20 needing compiled libraries. There is a pure python salsa20 implementation I am currently evaluating. It is way slower than the compiled salsa20 but it could be sufficient for our use case. This should solve this problem. In the mean time you should probably try installing MSVCRT.lib whatever this is. I do not have Windows, so I cannot try. Others seem not to have the same problem.

[W]hen I try to replicate the replay's braking, I never manage to make the turn; I always end up running wide on the exit.
I observed the same behaviour with my own GT-to-Motec telemetry logger (and wrote about it here); for some reason the brake signal is filtered in replays making it look like the ghost brakes way later. I have no idea why PD programmed it that way (to make the replays look more 'impressive,' maybe? "Just look at how late they brake, bro!")

Here's a comparison I made - the coloured traces are from a track session captured live, the overlaid white traces are from the corresponding replay capture. Observe how the throttle traces are virtually identical, while the brake traces aren't:

FUTVVFv.png

(There's another example in the post mentioned above.)

If you want to check braking points from a replay capture, look at the longitudinal G forces instead.

Last edited:
I observed the same behaviour with my own GT-to-Motec telemetry logger (and wrote about it here); for some reason the brake signal is filtered in replays making it look like the ghost brakes way later. I have no idea why PD programmed it that way (to make the replays look more 'impressive,' maybe? "Just look at how late they brake, bro!")

Here's a comparison I made - the coloured traces are from a track session captured live, the overlaid white traces are from the corresponding replay capture. Observe how the throttle traces are virtually identical, while the brake traces aren't:

FUTVVFv.png

If you want to check braking points from a replay capture, look at the longitudinal G forces instead.
The best way to see braking points is looking for the speed and throttle graphs. Brake is out of sync. But when you track a ghost in front of you, the braking points are clearly before from what the telemetry says. By the way, how did you get data in Motec?

FUTVVFv.png

Can you share this workspace? I am not able to see braking pedal and the map. Thanks!

Edit: nevermind, I was able to import from the channel list.

Last edited:
Creator here. This is related to salsa20 needing compiled libraries. There is a pure python salsa20 implementation I am currently evaluating. It is way slower than the compiled salsa20 but it could be sufficient for our use case. This should solve this problem. In the mean time you should probably try installing MSVCRT.lib whatever this is. I do not have Windows, so I cannot try. Others seem not to have the same problem.
I believe I have it with me by updating M.V. Studio. I will learn and try to use! Thanks a lot for the help.

Back