The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
It cool here. Bordering on cold.
It’s the best time of year.
The opportunity to wear a jacket and be snug is never taken for granted.

The daytimes are still warm/hot enough for me to not need a shirt at home. But the dawn and dusk are chilly enough to require at least a scarf.

We wrote the book on weather here in Oklahoma. I hear India also has declined, actually they have a couple spots where dry lines form.
What kind of weather would you like? Sun? Hail? Blizzard with whiteout conditions, tornadoes, and tigers chasing you down? I'm sure we can whip some up for ya.

Sunday night was real fun. Actually experiencing a tornado instead of just watching it go by, 10/10 would recommend. A++ Five stars.

I have about four feet of snow on my patio from today's blizzard.

20230301_111612.jpg

I also have a three foot drift in the front of my house that I'll need to attack once it stops snowing but the wind will stay so some will blow back in.

Driving my wife to work, it was a complete white out the entire way.

The snow day we had last week was a joke. This one is legit.

TB
I have about four feet of snow on my patio from today's blizzard.

View attachment 1235649

I also have a three foot drift in the front of my house that I'll need to attack once it stops snowing but the wind will stay so some will blow back in.

Driving my wife to work, it was a complete white out the entire way.

The snow day we had last week was a joke. This one is legit.
That’s insane to think about the extremes of nature.

I got hit by a blizzard once and holed up in a truck stop for several days.

I never have been colder in my life. I refuse to use roads in those conditions ever again.

I don’t know how you manage it.

That’s insane to think about the extremes of nature.

I got hit by a blizzard once and holed up in a truck stop for several days.

I never have been colder in my life. I refuse to use roads in those conditions ever again.

I don’t know how you manage it.
What's really crazy is short of the mammoth snow piles on the boulevards, almost all of the streets in town were cleared by 10 that evening. It only stopped snowing around noon.

TB
What's really crazy is short of the mammoth snow piles on the boulevards, almost all of the streets in town were cleared by 10 that evening. It only stopped snowing around noon.
Melted?

If it's anything like Northern Michigan, they just plow the roads and then put down either salt or sand depending on how much an area cares about ground water. We got 8" of snow the other night and our neighborhood was down to pavement by early afternoon because the plow truck (I think they call them gritters in the UK) came through and cleared the road.

This is the kind of stuff we use in Michigan:
snow-wing1jpg-0327cc2f6e2432cf.jpg

When snow really gets stacked up, they come by with a front end loader and just put it in dump trucks. There's typically a dumping ground for snow somewhere around the city where the piles last until June/July.

No, like what Joey said, just moved off of the street onto the boulevard.

We'll melt some this weekend but the snow won't be completely gone from my yard until at least April.

Where the city piles up the snow, it sticks around until August. :lol:

Drove around a bit this morning after our most recent dump of snow. I don't think I've seen a winter like this since 2008-09.

IMG_20230322_114229283.jpg

IMG_20230322_114219804.jpg

Mississippi just got wrecked by tornados tonight, possibly multiple EF4 or 5s. Multiple small towns have likely been flattened including Rolling Fork, Silver City, Tchula, Winona, Amory, and Smithville. Notice that all those towns are basically in a straight line as the same cell tracked that direction and produced multiple tornados within the same area. In fact, just after a massive tornado went through or near Winona another one formed right behind it and hit the Winona area again, right as people were crawling out of their safe spaces. Shortly after that, a textbook and impressively shaped tornado formed over Egypt and went through Amory and Smithville. There were multiple along that corridor which spans the entire width of Mississippi.

Mississippi just got wrecked by tornados tonight, possibly multiple EF4 or 5s. Multiple small towns have likely been flattened including Rolling Fork, Silver City, Tchula, Winona, Amory, and Smithville. Notice that all those towns are basically in a straight line as the same cell tracked that direction and produced multiple tornados within the same area. In fact, just after a massive tornado went through or near Winona another one formed right behind it and hit the Winona area again, right as people were crawling out of their safe spaces. Shortly after that, a textbook and impressively shaped tornado formed over Egypt and went through Amory and Smithville. There were multiple along that corridor which spans the entire width of Mississippi.
Yeah we're next here in North Alabama. That line is coming through now.

I just doesn't end! Was hoping to go to some races next weekend but I can't imagine that will be happening. At least we're past the point of roads turning into complete nightmares when it snows.

dynamic_weather_seven_day_outlook.jpg

@TB what's the flood situation up there? They're already filling sandbags along the St. Croix down this way.

Last edited:
@TB what's the flood situation up there?
Even though we had twice the amount of snow in 1996-1997 than we've had this year, we have more snow pack on the ground than we've ever had because we haven't been above 40F in 141 days (the record is 152 days) so nothing has really melted. Because of that, nothing to speak of for flooding.

fgon8_record.png

Thanks to our backwards (north) flowing river, they've built a ton of permanent flood walls in the city so we don't start placing sandbags until they start throwing around a 38+ foot crest.

If anyone want to see a few seconds of younger me when we set that 40.8' record, I'm picking up the sandbag after a coworker beats on it with a bat because they were frozen and you can't place frozen sandbags (I also show up at 1:24 filling my face so I can go back out for more torture :lol: ) :

Current condition: Thunderstorm

Predicted condition in a few hours: Blizzard

The fact this is happening during the weekend makes it easy to see the humor in our weird spring weather. :lol:

Current condition: Thunderstorm

Predicted condition in a few hours: Blizzard

The fact this is happening during the weekend makes it easy to see the humor in our weird spring weather. :lol:
Been a while since we've had thundersnow!

Today, sunshine albeit coldish
Yesterday:
OtGV0uGl.jpg
Rated as EF1, touched down like less than five minutes to the east of where I live
Early Saturday morning an EF3 touched down about 20 miles away from me. Killed one person, injured several others and did a ton of damage across two states. This was exactly one week after another system produced 7 tornadoes across our region. Same day, same time frame.

An intermittent storm, arriving mostly in the evenings, has led me to spend more time outside as the AQI drops to breathable levels.*

Between the short rain showers and large gust of wind are the most amazing lightning charges I’ve ever seen.

Due to the distortion caused by the haze here, the most polluted city on earth, the Sun has been muted in a beautiful way. And the current horizontal fork lightning discharges are red/orange, rather than the usual blue/white.

It’s otherworldly.

* Most of my time spent outside is to smoke tobacco, so the 2.5 is almost irrelevant to me.

It's May 2nd, and this is what our NWS office looks like...
344041812_226691666643846_2284850448870720158_n.jpg

For chrissakes, it's spring.

Latest Posts

Back