The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
It's May 2nd, and this is what our NWS office looks like...
344041812_226691666643846_2284850448870720158_n.jpg

For chrissakes, it's spring.
The way those signs are caked in snow would indicate that it was particularly windy and disgusting.

For chrissakes, it's spring.
Clearly it’s not!

At least you get 4 seasons.
Here we just have super hot, super wet, and slightly less hot (Christmas) seasons.

I just taught a lesson on seasons this past week. My students are confused by the place we live in.

We don’t get winter or summer. If it’s hot, it’s hot. If it’s cool, it’s still hot. If it’s monsoon it’s hot but wet. If it’s cold here, then the next ice age has started.

Depending on what app I look at there is between a 0-70% chance of rain this weekend. :odd:

I know predicting the weather is quite a bit harder than one may think, but surely we can narrow is down a little more than “it’s definitely going to rain… maybe, I don’t know”.

My brother got an image of this tornado that hit yesterday just south of Indy. I know one house suffered some damage. My guess is it was only an EF0, maybe EF1 tops. Still, I've always wanted to see one myself. I'm jealous.
VideoCapture_20230625-165333.JPG

Apparently it was stronger than I realized, being given a preliminary EF2 rating. The video shows the power it had.

Apparently it was stronger than I realized, being given a preliminary EF2 rating. The video shows the power it had.

Yeah tornados do be weird.

1693839251848.png

After a week straight, I hope this means that we're finally not going to be in the 90's. We aren't built for that.

It's 82 right now in Alabama and it's going to be in the low 80's again tomorrow then that cold wave hits here. Low 60's or upper 50's for the next ten days or so. That will probably be the end of our 80's until next year.

I've got an outdoor training class in Northern Georgia on November 8th and I'm sure it's going to be cool for it, just hopefully no rain.

It's 82 right now in Alabama and it's going to be in the low 80's again tomorrow then that cold wave hits here.

It was weird hiking amongst autumn leaves and being 80-82°F outside (about 25°C) but at least there is minimal humidity.

We also got the first snow of the year here. I swear it's usually closer to Thanksgiving, but it's probably a coin toss between the two.

Oh,well. After the last couple of years of nice mild Summers. The heat is well and truly back. Yay....

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10-52-37 Quirindi Local Weather Forecast Elders Weather.png

We're experiencing the wettest year since recording began. We had massive amounts of rain in the spring, a dry summer and it has been raining pretty much nonstop since the 3rd week of September.

Winter Storm Watch from Noon Christmas Day through 6pm 12/26. Up to 3 inches of snow followed by one-half inch of ice possible.

Power outages could be possible due to the ice, and travel could be difficult or impossible.
Great. I knew we'd been too spoiled so far this winter.

That is one heck of a layer of ice on everything.

20231225_185242.jpg

It's raining now and we're supposed to be hovering right about freezing for the next few days so travel is going to be horrible.

Screenshot_20240109_144949_WeatherBug.jpg

Last December we had a three day stretch here where the low temperatures were in the single digits and it never got much above 20F during the day. This caused the pipes in my apartment building to break and I had to move out for 2 months. This was supposed to be a "once in a generation" cold snap. Well, here we go again just one year later. I know for those further north these temps are normal but for us in Alabama it causes all kinds of problems.

I found my vitamin tablets standing in a pool of liquid soap this morning, thanks to Storm Isha which brought very high winds to the UK last night.

I reckon that the air pressure in my bathroom must have dropped as the storm passed over last night and effectively sucked the liquid soap out of the bottle and all over the worktop; I've no idea why the bottle is even still there, it's practically empty and has been sitting there untouched for several months, but last night it decided to make a bid for freedom!

It's supposed to hit 50F on the last day of January. :odd:

It has been a crazy winter, other than the week of Christmas and a couple other scattered days we've been hovering around freezing the entire time.

It has been a crazy winter, other than the week of Christmas and a couple other scattered days we've been hovering around freezing the entire time.
We had the snow & ice last week, now it started raining yesterday morning around 8am and is not supposed to stop until 3 or 4am tomorrow morning. Currently we're having thunderstorms with lightning. We're expecting 3-5 inches of rain after it's all said and done and that on top of how much we got from the ice melting.

Let alone the snow...Or lack their of.
7.3" for TC area since July 1st.
Last year about this time was like 56"

Record for the least amount of snow is 14.2 or 14.4"

Back