Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 25,527 comments
the big question is, can the dude let it dance with a controller? :lol: :lol:

But seriously Muffin, i am very curious if you are going to manage a step up in sim world,
Would be awesom for you to gain this way, would be bad for me tho..... cause i would never ever catch you.

Go ahead, have lunch with @Dan_Tes then, and leave me behind :lol:
I doubt I will actually do real sim racing. I like to drive car fast, but I'm hilariously slow when racing with the others.

Also, you can definitely make the car dance with controller. The theories behind it are the same, just the matter of input method. Is it harder? Sure...at less to me it is....but that's probably because I haven't been driving with the controller for a while.

After what I've learn yesterday from Suellio's video. I want to see if I can make the X-Bow dance this morning. Since this was more like a practice session, I decided to run without ghost.

Result was not bad I guess....while I wasn't able to get the car to dance in all the corners consistently, I was able to do it in all the corners (again, just not consistently). Even with that I was still much faster than what I managed previously when running with no ghost. Before I was doing mostly low 1:26s and in this short session, I was able to consistently do low to mid 1:25s....hack...I even did a 1:24.9s once...without a ghost to chase!!! And the most important thing is I actually knew what I did right...and what I did wrong!!!!

I think I will do another practice this evening before I start chasing ghost for beat possible time.
I like a lot Suellio, watched most of his videos, even though I probably don't have to skill to deeply understand what he teaches other than the very first layer of information.
Are you referring to the Neutral Steer video?

I don't think my time with the McLaren VGT @ Suzuka was too close to getting out of silver range, but I do recall it being over 4.00% off the top, so I hope I'm able to claim another silver come Thursday - especially since it felt like one of the hardest time trials I've done so far.

the big question is, can the dude let it dance with a controller? :lol: :lol:

I think so. He's the only one sitting in his RL-race car with a dual sense. 😅
All the other drivers laugh about him but he's doing it to get you (and @Pesselles) as clients for his coachings.

Cheers
M

By the way. His videos (just know the free ones) are really useful. The guy obviously knows what to do and how to teach.

Last edited:
Not that I am anywhere near you in terms of theory, expected results and actual ones, but I was throwing in the air a similar consideration couple of posts ago.

I think that I don't put myself in the position to reach that point where float happens. I am not yet talking about dealing with it and use it, I think I'm stuck well before.

The moment I feel the car, whatever type of car it is, is not planted on rails I instinctively do something (typically lower the gas pedal pressure) that move me in the exact opposite direction of the desired floating. I think you saw it commenting my laps.

I was asking for tips to train and correct the behave offline.

zjn
Not that I am anywhere near you in terms of theory, expected results and actual ones, but I was throwing in the air a similar consideration couple of posts ago.

I think that I don't put myself in the position to reach that point where float happens. I am not yet talking about dealing with it and use it, I think I'm stuck well before.

The moment I feel the car, whatever type of car it is, is not planted on rails I instinctively do something (typically lower the gas pedal pressure) that move me in the exact opposite direction of the desired floating. I think you saw it commenting my laps.

I was asking for tips to train and correct the behave offline.
I think the best way to get yourself comfortable with this neutral steer is actually drive a lower power car with CS or SH tires and all assist turn off (abs at weak).

When I first started driving the nurburgring with the e30, I was doing 8:50s. Of cause now that I know the track very well, time is going to go down, but that's where I actually learn how to get the car to this floaty state. The funny thing is I didn't know I was doing the right thing and thought I was over driving it 🤣

Last edited:
I think the best way to get yourself comfortable with this neutral steer is actually drive a lower power car with CS or SH tires and all assist turn off (abs at weak).

When I first started driving the nurburgring with the e30, I was doing 8:50s. Of cause now that I know the track very well, time is going to go down, but that's where I actually learn how to get the car to this floaty state. The funny thing is I didn't know I was doing the right thing and thought I was over driving it 🤣
Driving in the snow will help. It happens much sooner... 😁

I think you hit the nail right on the head here, I watched the neutral steering thing, he says look..look...look just as much as he slides 🤣🤣, but indeed he has a fair point ofcourse, it's like the car has the least drag and efford to go in the direction it wants by it self due to ordinairy physics.

And indeed that's best to learn with a rwd car on comfort or sports hard or something, personally I loose that feeling immediately of the tires are to stick.

I would say that the Dino was a good example 😁🤪

Interesting mate, thanks for sharing this 🙏

Phew! Down to silver at last... barely!
TT-SuzukaMcLVGT-almost.jpg

Started on Friday, very slowly (43ish) and as it was a MotoGP weekend and the US round which happens in the evenings of my timezone, I had very limited time to drive. Additionally there was this super fun race at Titans' (please PD, make some nice TT with the Toyota 2000GT!)...

Truthfully I held on every little excuse NOT to drive this crap combo.

I think I know Suzuka like a back of my hand, especially after last year when I literally spent a month (real time) on this track racking up wins for the GT Sport platinum. But that was with a good old NSX, not this overpowered monster.

Anyways it was maybe 10-15 completed laps to get to this result with easily 100+ attempted.
I don't think that's the limit, I know where to gain time (basically every corner), but to do it with my setup and skillset is a whole different matter.

I'm gunning right now for low 41s to be inside top 10.000 (the verge of decency in my book and a feeling like I didn't waste time touching this TT), will work on it till the end, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for a gold here. Doesn't look like it at the moment at all!

Tens of laps on RA today with no improvement on the PB but some betters S1, as expected.

My new optimal is still in silver... :dopey:

1713202150456.png

but at last, I've finally scored a very promissing S1 (my 1st S1 under 31.8). More to come...

My S2 is regularly around 31.7 to 32.0 and my last sectors vary from 21.5x to 21.9x. As usual, the point is to string these scores together in the same lap.

For now, my objective is to become (much) more constent on every lap, as I'm way too much irregular to expect a significative improvement.

ATTACK!!!

Phew! Down to silver at last... barely!
View attachment 1346835
Started on Friday, very slowly (43ish) and as it was a MotoGP weekend and the US round which happens in the evenings of my timezone, I had very limited time to drive. Additionally there was this super fun race at Titans' (please PD, make some nice TT with the Toyota 2000GT!)...

Truthfully I held on every little excuse NOT to drive this crap combo.

I think I know Suzuka like a back of my hand, especially after last year when I literally spent a month (real time) on this track racking up wins for the GT Sport platinum. But that was with a good old NSX, not this overpowered monster.

Anyways it was maybe 10-15 completed laps to get to this result with easily 100+ attempted.
I don't think that's the limit, I know where to gain time (basically every corner), but to do it with my setup and skillset is a whole different matter.

I'm gunning right now for low 41s to be inside top 10.000 (the verge of decency in my book and a feeling like I didn't waste time touching this TT), will work on it till the end, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for a gold here. Doesn't look like it at the moment at all!
Nice job, that TT is a beast! I may have to skip it and just take my bronze. I ran out of patience there. I think it was a bad combo for Suzuka if you want to know my honest opinion.

The way we're going I'm guessing we'll reach page 1000 by Friday?

Last edited:

Tens of laps on RA today with no improvement on the PB but some betters S1, as expected.

My new optimal is still in silver... :dopey:

View attachment 1346836

but at last, I've finally scored a very promissing S1 (my 1st S1 under 31.8). More to come...

My S2 is regularly around 31.7 to 32.0 and my last sectors vary from 21.5x to 21.9x. As usual, the point is to string these scores together in the same lap.

For now, my objective is to become (much) more constent on every lap, as I'm way too much irregular to expect a significative improvement.

ATTACK!!!
If you get to clock 32,7 or even 32,8 regularly at S1, I'd say it's more than half way to gold. As the S1 seems to be the most critical.

You are getting there. 😎

If you get to clock 32,7 or even 32,8 regularly at S1, I'd say it's more than half way to gold. As the S1 seems to be the most critical.

You are getting there. 😎
Obrigado Mr SkyDragon :)

Yes exactly, a S1 in 31.7 / 31.8 would give me the yellow reward at 95%.
I need to be more and more regular here.

And if I string 2 others excellent sectors with such S1, it could be a 1:25 ticket !!

I managed a little progress today using the @Dan_Tes method for 130R. I'd say 60% of the time, it works every time. At least, I've completed more valid laps today than the previous two days.

About 0.3 seconds improvement and Gold is just a matter of time.

18ee2f70efd3-screenshotUrl.jpg
18ee2f6a55d97-screenshotUrl~2.jpg

My optimals are well within the Gold range but later I set this lap ...

18ee2f6fcb151-screenshotUrl~2.jpg

Invalidated at Degner by going a touch too wide.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Couple of installation laps around RA, then loaded friends ranking ghost closest to 1.26 dead, and it took me two laps(and morning reading of tips here) to somehow best it couple of 1000's. Right now I feel that 0.5s improvement is there somewhere for me, but last week and beginning of this are kicking my behind, so I may not be able to find some proper wheel time to test my theory ;)
1000013855.jpg
1000013856.jpg

Last edited:
Around 600km today at Suzuka and I'm still 0.04% off gold. I know where I can improve - if I set the ghost offset to 0.2s I can catch it in the first sector, so all the time I need must be there, but I just find it impossible to be consistent through the rest of the lap and I can't count how many laps I lost to 130R. This TT is incredibly annoying, even moreso with the stupid hybrid depleting, so I can only do like 3 push laps before it runs out, so it's super difficult to get into the right rythm...

Went to Georgia tonight for some hotlappin and finally some improvement! Tried TCS 0 and strong CSA and cut my 1:26,930 down to 1:26,700, with an optimal at 1:26,335. Driving with AT and DS4. Definitely was faster with this setup.
Feels like Gold might be in reach if i try some more.

Really like these TTs with a shorter track!

Around 600km today at Suzuka and I'm still 0.04% off gold. I know where I can improve - if I set the ghost offset to 0.2s I can catch it in the first sector, so all the time I need must be there, but I just find it impossible to be consistent through the rest of the lap and I can't count how many laps I lost to 130R. This TT is incredibly annoying, even moreso with the stupid hybrid depleting, so I can only do like 3 push laps before it runs out, so it's super difficult to get into the right rythm...
Use half throttle until it doesn't spin anymore and then hammer. Short shift.

Late night shave
TT-SuzukaMcLVGT-almost2.jpg

I was so surprised I survived the 130R that I wasn't prepared to hammer the throttle right away and was reaching the options button instead :lol::lol::lol:
It's getting harder and harder though, there's that 41 flat for sure, but man, I have to nail everything before and then cheat death in the last sector.

I have to admit, I thought this one was going to be an easy gold. It wasn't, until I switched to the controller. For some reason I couldn't handle the weight transfer on the wheel. I was doing a good 1st sector but then loosing it on the 3rd sector.

I didn't use any assist and I really didn't like this TT in the end.

I hope my time is sufficient.

Attachments

• 18ee41d0c1b47-screenshotUrl.jpg
    18ee41d0c1b47-screenshotUrl.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 1
Almost a tenth and a half gain! :dopey: I have no idea where that first sector time came from (I didn't have better than 32.2 in ANY of my other laps during tonight's session). Unfortunately, I missed both apexes in sector 2. And I was slightly disappointed in the final sector, as I had a handful of 21 flats, and I was a tenth off on my fast lap.
IMG_3069.jpg

As happy as I was with my pickup, I'm still behind two certain drivers...:mad::lol:
IMG_3070.jpg

Watching everyone at RA while I'm still working out Gold at Suzuka ...

Sad Friends Tv GIF
I said screw it and went to RA anyway. :lol: I've got two more days to try and gold Suzuka, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Well I guess it's silver for me at RA. I just can't seem to get any faster and I've put enough time into it now. I did a 30 lap run this evening and managed to get within about 4 tenths of my best lap of 1:27.088. And my optimal for that 30 lap session? Yeah, that's right... 1:27.088 :lol:

Turn off ASM and turn on CSA. Been messing with what works. Tonight I was closest to my fastest time yet. The car is absolutely on rails with that assist.
Well I guess it's silver for me at RA. I just can't seem to get any faster and I've put enough time into it now. I did a 30 lap run this evening and managed to get within about 4 tenths of my best lap of 1:27.088. And my optimal for that 30 lap session? Yeah, that's right... 1:27.088 :lol:

Well this is spooky! Had a lunchtime sesh today (WFH) and couldn't get within half a second of my PB.
Decided to follow @GlockPants suggestion and painted the wheels orange. Within five laps I knocked another 4 tenths off, taking me well into the 28s!!!! Thanks GlockPants! :cheers:

I do have a picture of the full-orange livery but decided to keep it safely in my downloads folder so as not to upset any sensibilities! 🤣

Latest Posts

Back