• V8!

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • V10!

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • V12!

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I've voted for V12's, but only because of the exotic metal that has traditionally surrounded them.

All engines can sound wonderful if properly tuned and left relatively un-muffled. Having grown up listening to Cosworth BDA's and FVC's, i can really appreciate a high reving inline four. The flat six 'wail' from a 911 or even a Boxster can sound fantastic, the off-beat rumble of a detroit V8 or Ducati V-twin just screams power and a V10 or 12 just sounds exotic - whether it's from a Ferrari 250 or an Audi S6.

The one engine layout i've never really enjoyed listening to is, ironically, the flat four.

V12 as there was no option for flat-six.

I am partial to the V8 because M3. The V12 is very nice too but the V10 is special and has a sound like no other
Just listen

V8 simply because of the sound, look, and torque.
Torque doesn't have to do with it being a V8, it's simply the displacement. The M3 E9X has just 295 lb·ft. out of it's V8 because it's a high revving 4 liter while the viper has gobs of torque from it's high displacement V10

Last edited:
Torque has nothing to do with number of cylinders, everything to do with displacement.

Exactly, hence why strokers with aggresive cams are built for low end power

I am partial to the V8 because M3. The V12 is very nice too but the V10 is special and has a sound like no other
Just listen

Torque doesn't have to do with it being a V8, it's simply the displacement. The M3 E9X has just 295 lb·ft. out of it's V8 because it's a high revving 4 liter while the viper has gobs of torque from it's high displacement V10

I'm aware, I'm just stating that most American V8's were known for torque because of high displacement. I can't think of many European V8's that displace 7 liters or more.

Yet you like V8s because of the torque.

So? Sure other type of engines make a lot of torque as well but I for some reason feel V8's to be superior. Drop it and move on.

Between V6, V8, V10, and V12, I honestly don't know. They all have great sounding cars:

V6:

V8:

V10:

V12:

BUT, my favourites are these:

H4:

I5:

PS: I3's sound like an unmodified Skyline GT-R, or maybe even Porshces. :lol:

Had to pick V12, as a lot of my favourite cars have one. However, I also really like Flat 6s, Inline 5s, 6s and 8s, V6s, V8s and V16s. Inline 4s just don't do anything for me, although Flat 4s in old Beetles sound amusingly badass.

Disappointed that V16 didn't make the poll though. It would get my vote. :lol:

Take a V12 and flatten that puppy out like in the Testarossa. I don't really know if that makes the same sound as a true flat-12, but if it does, than that too.

Plus the engine itself is was always beautiful no matter what car it was in:

1003_08_z+1990_ferrari_testarossa+engine.jpg

And it wins points for how patently ridiculous it was to make it that way in the first place instead of just using a V12.

E28
I'd probably say Straight-6 if it was in the poll, but it isn't. I'd probably go V10.

Exactly what I was going to say. Specifically the 5.7 in the Carrera GT which is a sound I've always loved, but I also love the 5.0L V10 in the previous M5.

It is hard for me not to vote for V12 though (really like the 4.7 in the F50 and the 7.3 AMG unit in the Zonda S).

That said, I would go for the Straight-6 if the option was available. The 635 CSi springs to mind:

3 cylinder engines almost always sound awesome:

It's a toss up between these two in my mind for best sounding engines ever. The first is the R26B 4 rotor with a unique 4-2 header design (787b was 4-1) which gives it a richer more characterful tone. The 787b sounds good too, just very shreiky.

Then there is the roaring BMW M1 Procar with a deafening bass line:

Hard to pick between those two...

What about W16. :P Bugatti Veyron.
Just making a point since it's not on there.

Lol. I'll go with a good ol' V8, with or without extra poll choices.

I would be inclined to choose either a 6 or a 12, but ultimately I'd go for a 12. But it would have to be a naturally aspirated one, though. I really like engines that can just purr along at a low RPM, and can roar when goaded by my right foot should the need arise. There's just something so endearing about those types of engines that just effortlessly cruise along without breaking a sweat.

Flat 6. Preferably air cooled. Even better if it's in 2.7RS form.

For pure sound, though, there's nothing that approaches the 12 in the Porsche 917. I've been about as close to them at full-speed as you can get without actually being a driver (press photo areas at Laguna Seca, some are less than 15 feet from the cars!), and the sound is absolutely unbelievable.

masterrawad
Which type of engine is your favorite and why?

Jet engine.

There's nothing quite like hearing a Typhoon or F/A-18 taking off 100 feet away.

Back