Gold times after update 1.13

Oh I got it on the Le Mans CE yesterday post patch.
Odd, I was doing the Nordschleife one and no pestering there. The 'congrats you got silver now go for gold' was still there but not the 'Take a deep breath' stuff.

Last edited:
Without leaderboards or gold/silver/bronze times, licenses and circuit experiences are pretty useless. It's just driving a random car around a section of a track.
The fact that PD spends so much time on time trial-y sort of things in single player and yet doesn't actually give us any ability to actually time trial with them is just so dumb. I don't get it.
I'm all for playing devils advocate and challenging someone's assumptions or perspective, so allow me to present a different interpretation of the license tests, circuit experience and their associated leaderboards.

PD want to encourage racers to learn driving techniques, so they create the license tests. These tests give you a car and section of track specifically to teach you a technique that may be needed on that section of track.

PD also wants you to become familiar with the circuits, so they create circuit experience, with both a brief written guide and demo ghost to teach you the lines, braking points etc.

How do you encourage players to do this content? You give them levels of pass - bronze, silver and gold, and you tie rewards to the different levels. Everyone will want the gold for the best reward, which also ensures they'll practice the technique or track, which will make them better!

That is the purpose of the license tests and circuit experience. But people want to compete at everything. People want to beat their friends at things and some people want to push to be one of the best in the world! How do you satisfy those people? You give them a leaderboard and that's it. No rewards for being in the top 10%. Just a leaderboard and bragging rights.

That's what the leaderboards are. They're not an attempt at turning license tests, circuit experience or missions into time trials. They're a way for you to compete, purely for bragging rights, with friends and other racers, and the irony is that most of us will complete the event, get the gold, maybe check where we are globally and then move on, never checking again.

Now, I understand some people's frustration that having spent hours learning the finest points of a track to maximise their time and position on those leaderboards, but my point still stands - just redo your times.

The adjusted physics made some cars easier to handle. If you've spent hours learning a track and some schlep like me beat your time in 3 attempts, you should know this track well enough to beat my time with ease under the new physics. And isn't that what the leaderboards are for? You post a time and someone tries to beat it, if they beat it you try to beat their time.

Odd, I was doing the Nordschleife one and no pestering there. The 'congrats you got silver now go for gold' was still there but not the 'Take a deep breath' stuff.
Yeah the take a deep breath is breathtaking in its sillynes. Who on earth thought that would be a good idea to patronise and condescend players lol.

I'm all for playing devils advocate and challenging someone's assumptions or perspective, so allow me to present a different interpretation of the license tests, circuit experience and their associated leaderboards.

PD want to encourage racers to learn driving techniques, so they create the license tests. These tests give you a car and section of track specifically to teach you a technique that may be needed on that section of track.

PD also wants you to become familiar with the circuits, so they create circuit experience, with both a brief written guide and demo ghost to teach you the lines, braking points etc.

How do you encourage players to do this content? You give them levels of pass - bronze, silver and gold, and you tie rewards to the different levels. Everyone will want the gold for the best reward, which also ensures they'll practice the technique or track, which will make them better!

That is the purpose of the license tests and circuit experience. But people want to compete at everything. People want to beat their friends at things and some people want to push to be one of the best in the world! How do you satisfy those people? You give them a leaderboard and that's it. No rewards for being in the top 10%. Just a leaderboard and bragging rights.

That's what the leaderboards are. They're not an attempt at turning license tests, circuit experience or missions into time trials. They're a way for you to compete, purely for bragging rights, with friends and other racers, and the irony is that most of us will complete the event, get the gold, maybe check where we are globally and then move on, never checking again.

Now, I understand some people's frustration that having spent hours learning the finest points of a track to maximise their time and position on those leaderboards, but my point still stands - just redo your times.

The adjusted physics made some cars easier to handle. If you've spent hours learning a track and some schlep like me beat your time in 3 attempts, you should know this track well enough to beat my time with ease under the new physics. And isn't that what the leaderboards are for? You post a time and someone tries to beat it, if they beat it you try to beat their time.
Okay I guess I'll try and explain this again: I agree with you. That is exactly the point of license tests and circuit experiences. But you cannot accomplish that without a benchmark.

If you just put somebody in a car on a section of track and say "okay try and go faster", they'll of course improve slightly just by the experience gained via repetition, but they aren't really learning anything. They don't know if they're doing it right. The benchmark is what allows them to learn. If they're a couple tenths off, they might go "oh I'm doing it right I just have to nail the execution". If they're a couple seconds off they might say "okay I need to try a completely different line or different gearing or something". They might then go check out the demo lap and see what they're doing differently.

Without that benchmark none of that is possible anymore. You can't trust the demo lap because the physics are different. You don't know if you're above the gold time because you've learned what you were supposed to learn and improved as a driver, or if it's just because the new physics allow you to get on the gas much earlier than before and gave you that extra time. And you can't use the friend leaderboards as reference instead of the demo lap or gold times because there's no way to know if you friends times were before or after the update.

As for the rest of your post about time trialing being about bragging rights, I'm sorry but that's just nonsense. It's a racing game. Competition is literally inherent to the genre, not to mention that - in chasing those faster times - you are learning and improving as a driver, which is the exact point of those in the first place, as you have already said.

Getting gold in the license tests? LOL. I can't even do a complete lap of S8 without spinning. On my 1st 4 tries, I spun at the very beginning. And I'm talking about in the braking zone for the very 1st turn. I got that worked out, then I spun going through Eu Rouge (T3).....about 8 times. I finally got through there, then kept spinning coming out of Eu Rouge and into Raidillon (T4). I got that down, then would spin at the braking zone for Les Combes (T5). I finally made it around as far as Double Gauche (Ts 10-11), and spun there a few times. My farthest point so far is Blanchimont (T17). That was on my 20th?.....21st try?

Oh well. I guess I don't need to have the Super License, anyway. I can enter into any race without it (or any license, for that matter). Which, to me, means the licenses are pointless. Why even have them if they're not required to enter any race?

Getting gold in the license tests? LOL. I can't even do a complete lap of S8 without spinning. On my 1st 4 tries, I spun at the very beginning. And I'm talking about in the braking zone for the very 1st turn. I got that worked out, then I spun going through Eu Rouge (T3).....about 8 times. I finally got through there, then kept spinning coming out of Eu Rouge and into Raidillon (T4). I got that down, then would spin at the braking zone for Les Combes (T5). I finally made it around as far as Double Gauche (Ts 10-11), and spun there a few times. My farthest point so far is Blanchimont (T17). That was on my 20th?.....21st try?

Oh well. I guess I don't need to have the Super License, anyway. I can enter into any race without it (or any license, for that matter). Which, to me, means the licenses are pointless. Why even have them if they're not required to enter any race?
Did it occur to YOU for even a moment that the problem is NOT the test but the driver?

If you can live with the fact that your driving skills are not good enough to handle difficult situations, then that's OK with you. It's just a pity that YOU don't want to accept the challenge to improve yourself. In any case, for me, the better/faster I got, the more fun it was to drive.

I expect they count will as more races are added as time goes on.

Last edited:

Giving up is always an option ofcours but come on, you don't want to know homany times i restarted the nordschleife, i wish that was 20 times, it's all about learning, is you spin you did to much, learn to throttle on the moments you should and know you breaking zones, watch youtube videos, watch the demo, and so on....

Or you can just wait for the next physics update, should be easier after that :lol::lol::lol:

That is the way to go, i just hope i'm not tired yet then haha ...
Yes indeed, for me at least. My second walkthrough has always been way more fun and more satisfying than the initial one.
I find it extremely rewarding to improve and finally outperform myself, start saving replays, compare to other drivers if possible ( here on the forum for example ) and on a sideline start doing the simple but enjoyable things like collecting cars, making liveries etc. etc.

Maybe I'm just lucky because I don't have too many other games to play and no hurry to get finished with this one. :)

I think I mentioned it somewhere. I had some crazy fast laps in S licenses. GT academy guys couldn't beat them. Now I'm sure everyone will -.-

Did it occur to YOU for even a moment that the problem is NOT the test but the driver?

If you can live with the fact that your driving skills are not good enough to handle difficult situations, then that's OK with you. It's just a pity that YOU don't want to accept the challenge to improve yourself. In any case, for me, the better/faster I got, the more fun it was to drive.
Yeah, I know it's not the test; I know it's ME. I'm a ****** driver. And I can accept that. Evidenced by my record in Sport Mode of GT Sport. But there is no room for error on that test. And I'm OK with there being a test on a wet track. But at least let us choose the proper tires for the conditions. And, yes, I also realize that it's on a drying track and there is a dry line. But it's on an absolute and finite line and any deviation will cause me to spin. And sometimes, I don't take the proper racing line; as it is with ALL drivers, whether they be sim racers or real racers. Sometimes deviating from the "proper" racing line is what it takes to make a pass or get a win.

I've tried modulating the throttle to not have so much torque and go into and come out of corners more stable; and I'm just not good enough to do it. So I won't be completing that test. Which means I won't get getting 100% on the game. And I'm OK with that. It was just a bit frustrating at how difficult it was. And it was demoralizing how even at the very start, when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd, the car spun. I didn't touch the steering at all. I just shifted, and it spun. And that happened a few times in a row. And it happened in the braking zone on the straight after Eu Rouge. Going in a straight line, I hit the brakes, and I spin. No steering response or anything (thumb isn't even on the stick), I just spin.

Yeah, I know it's not the test; I know it's ME. I'm a ****** driver. And I can accept that. Evidenced by my record in Sport Mode of GT Sport. But there is no room for error on that test. And I'm OK with there being a test on a wet track. But at least let us choose the proper tires for the conditions. And, yes, I also realize that it's on a drying track and there is a dry line. But it's on an absolute and finite line and any deviation will cause me to spin. And sometimes, I don't take the proper racing line; as it is with ALL drivers, whether they be sim racers or real racers. Sometimes deviating from the "proper" racing line is what it takes to make a pass or get a win.

I've tried modulating the throttle to not have so much torque and go into and come out of corners more stable; and I'm just not good enough to do it. So I won't be completing that test. Which means I won't get getting 100% on the game. And I'm OK with that. It was just a bit frustrating at how difficult it was. And it was demoralizing how even at the very start, when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd, the car spun. I didn't touch the steering at all. I just shifted, and it spun. And that happened a few times in a row. And it happened in the braking zone on the straight after Eu Rouge. Going in a straight line, I hit the brakes, and I spin. No steering response or anything (thumb isn't even on the stick), I just spin.
Have you activated the race line? Do you have ASM enabled? Have you activated articulated steering?
All 3 points will help you pass this exam.

Then start by uppen your TCS if you spin to often, it's a torque problem in this case.
learn by trail and error where the dangerous parts are, i had to learn the hard way to, the straight after au rouge got me a few times also, that's not a bad thing, you just adapt, search a different place to brake, don't give up, learn and adapt.
It's not an easy one but with some efford it is very doable,

My tip for you......... start slow, first get yourself to the finish, the slowly try to get faster.
so you get a good feeling on what the car feels like and were you can push and where not.
don't go full send for now, it will frustrate you only more.

Have you activated the race line? Do you have ASM enabled? Have you activated articulated steering?
All 3 points will help you pass this exam.
Don't have racing line or ASM enabled (never used them, before).

But what is articulated steering? And how do you turn that on/off? I don't see it in the settings, anywhere.

Countersteering

The track is dry on the racing line. If you deviate from this line, the surface becomes wetter and even puddles

Last edited:
Back